[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ice Cubes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: ice10-2.png (3MB, 2016x1134px) Image search: [Google]
ice10-2.png
3MB, 2016x1134px
So, i´ve been working on trying to create realistic ice cubes just because i wanted to, i´ve found only 1 tutorial on it and it wasn´t even a proper tutorial, rather a overview of the guy doing the ice cube on Blender.

So after many days of trial and error, i´ve god this result, and to be fair, it doesn´t look nearly as good as i´ve seen on Google Images, so i want to take a few suggestions on how could i improve on it.

Just remember it isn´t a game or animation asset, im not looking for low poly, and i certainly do not care about render times, i just want to make a aesthetically pleasing ice cube for my own pleasure.
>>
>>509757
idk if this is the tutorial you're talking about, if it isn't that might help you.

http://www.creativeshrimp.com/create-realistic-ice-lighting-book-02.html
>>
This is the TY video of Gleb doing ice in Blender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeObbrfCSUY
>>
>>509789
>>509798

Yes, that was the tutorial, i forgot to add it, thanks.

I wanted to receive some help on how to improve it, because the tutorial wasn´t well explained, or maybe im too ignorant about the stuff im trying to do that i do not understand how to apply it.
>>
Sounds obvious, but have you tried

Getting some ice cubes
Look at ice cubes
Look at your render
Look at ice cubes
Look at your render
Look at ice cubes
Look at your render
Notice something off in render and try to capture the detail
>>
>>509836
Ironically, it's impossible for him to create ice by following your flowchart, because that only works with pure ice.
A large majority of ice I would say has impurities--most of that being air bubbles--and those impurities (air bubbles) are what cause ice to look white. Cracks filled with air also cause this.

If OP creates an assload of air bubbles inside his ice mesh with the same material properties as his external surface then I think he can get regular cloudy ice.
>>
>>509838
also reminder that air bubbles are internal surfaces and so should probably have inverted normals
>>
>>509839
looking at the OP image I found that your surfaces are way too fucking rough.
Seriously, ice is similar to rocks in texture, not lizard skin.
Look at the sculpt that Gleb guy did and notice that he has a lot of smooth surfaces.
The reason his looks realistic and yours doesn't is probably largely due to the fact that the surface is too wild.

Have you ever looked at an ice cube and saw that the reflection pattern vaguely resembled someone's ballsack? I sure haven't.
>>
>>509840
I will never be able to look at this image again without thinking of transparent ballsacks, so thank you, anon.

Anyway, i still have the .blend on my computer, so i should be able to improve based on suggestions.

but maybe the problem is my lack of sculpting skills. maybe i should look at some basic stuff on digital sculpting? would i be able to do it with mouse alone?
>>
>>509757
That thumbnail looks like Jar Jar's mouth about to scream "mesa ice cube annie!"

>>509826
It's not a very "polished" tutorial; you need to improve your core 3D skills / knowledge (by doing intermediate tutorials) and then come back; by then you'll have the knowledge and experience to fill in the gaps
>>
File: ahhh_mesa_ice_annie!.jpg (37KB, 346x250px) Image search: [Google]
ahhh_mesa_ice_annie!.jpg
37KB, 346x250px
>>510314
In case anyone doubted me
>>
>>510316
Seek help
>>
>>510316
Damn I thought that looked like jar jar, ten keks for you.
>>
>>510316

Thank god, I'm not alone.
>>
File: 1435972435584.png (64KB, 571x571px) Image search: [Google]
1435972435584.png
64KB, 571x571px
>>510316
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.