[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which version of 3ds max do you use and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 3ds_max.png (77KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
3ds_max.png
77KB, 256x256px
Which version of 3ds max do you use and why?
>>
>>509141
did not bother to upgrade yet
>>
>>509141
Whats the difference between Maya and 3DSMax besides the interface? I don't get how two programs so similar work side by side. When Autodesk bought 3DSMax I thought they would just absorb it into Maya...
>>
2016, idk why its just the one i torrented.
>>
>>509141
This one i KNOW it works with my Zbrush, so i won´t update just yet.
>>
>>509149
Autodesk had 3ds max prior to Maya. They bought up Maya from Alias Wavefront. And around the same time also the now discontinued competitor Soft Image XSI.

Reason Autodesk could gobble up these companies is that it has the industrial design software AutoCAD in it's catalog, which is a huge industry that dwarfs CGI production.

The difference between them is mainly in human resources. Lot's of people are highly proficient these softwares and will therefore prefer one over the other. The fact that there are multiple ones stems from the fact that at one point in time they where competing products.
>>
>>509149
>I thought they would just absorb it into Maya

You can't just merge the softwares because they're so fundamentally different in their structure that
if you took what makes Max great and bolted it onto Maya, Maya would no longer be recognizable to Maya users.

What ideally needs to happen is a new restructed 3D suite that is neither max nor maya but built and organized
to utilizes all the intellectual property now in Autodesk's possession.

Attempting to kust merge Max into Maya or Maya onto Max as currently exist would just turn into a Frankenfucks Monster of a application.
>>
>>509188
This

>>509141
I use 2014 and 2016 and both work perfectly fine without crashing. The most broken version I've ever used was 2011, the other ones are mostly stable.
>>
>>509141
2012 Just like IT alot,i usług 2014 too but i dont know why i like 2012
>>
>>509188
They have been doing massive work on Maya's core and interface to bring it into the modern age. And have recently been taking features from their others softwares and putting them in Maya. The guy who developed ICE in Softimage is currently part of the Maya dev team.
>>
>>509141
2016 because of proper asset referencing
>>
>>509141
2010, because Autodesk switching to photoshop controls annoyed the shit out of me.

And because any version past 2011 also crashes my PC for some fucking reason.
>>
I was about to sign up for an educational account. What are the differences between 2014, 2015, and 2016?

I'll probably go with the most recent.
>>
Tried 2016, but it's been acting a bit weird for me. If i cut in edges they won't actually show up until I wait a few seconds or move the camera. It also refuses to accept some of my old hotkeys, which is a major pain in the ass. Both of these things slow me down significantly when I'm modeling.

I really want quad chamfer, though. If it weren't for those issues I would have switched already.
>>
>>509429
most notable addition in 2015 is the layer manager, 2016 has a functionning Xref system, nodal scripted modifiers and a few nice features that probably don't matter to you if you don't already know about them
>>
2010 + 2014

the newer versions have some kind of new camera system that occasionally fails to properly rotate around the model causing the camera to move in extremely fucked up ways which angers me so fucking much. it is literally the only reason i don't use the ones beyond 2014.

apart from improved performance and the new UV editting UI i consider all new features to be downgrades (they keep 'fixing' shit that didn't need fixing)
>>
>>509448
>occasionally fails to properly rotate around the model causing the camera to move in extremely fucked up ways which angers me so fucking much
Gimbal lock?

I know there's another option I know I have to set in Blender and Solidworks which is rotate around the object selected instead of the origin/some arbitrary place. Maybe there's an option to tick somewhere. In Blender it's "rotate around selection/make selection pivot point"
>>
File: original.jpg (31KB, 458x311px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
31KB, 458x311px
>>509432
You can fix the fade in problem. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/newly-added-edges-fade-in/td-p/5786499

Uncheck Viewport configuration->Display Performance->Improve Quality Progressively.
>>
File: 1449969318659.gif (1MB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1449969318659.gif
1MB, 245x245px
2009 simply because I like it
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.