[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thougths on 3D modeling/animation schools in general?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: Santo2.jpg (42KB, 550x355px) Image search: [Google]
Santo2.jpg
42KB, 550x355px
What are your thougths on 3D modeling/animation schools in general? Can they get you a job in the video game or animation industry?
>>
>>508027
Wanna know how I know that you'll be working at McDonald's for life?
>>
>>508027
>Can they get you a job in the video game or animation industry?
Maybe you'll do short term work for no name companies - online - then you'll be back to your day job
>>
>>508027
Stay away from "for profit" ones at all costs. Go to a public uni that has a program if you want the degree, that way you can do more with it.
>>
>>508031
Not OP, but I haven't found a single public school that offers 3D art degrees for free. The only thing that came close to it in a way was product design.
>>
>>508345
Go to the Cg Persia school and learn directly and at your own pace while working a regular job or being a neet
>>
>>508345
>for free

Seriously, nigger.
>>
>>508027
usually the teaching is meh, what makes the good ones good is the emulation between (motivated) students, thing you can hardly replicate as an autodidact. Also networking
>>
Becoming hirable is practice.
Internet provides feedback for free.
Art school have a fuckton classes that give you absolutely nothing and actually distract you from practice, plus costs a fuckton money.

Ergo, only a complete imbecile would go to an art school unless the program is cheap and incredibly focused on producing art and actually failing shitty students.
>>
my feeling for the french market is that it's virtually impossible to make it as an autodidact these days.
The only area in which i believe autodidacts still stand a chance (here) is 2D/design, if they're extremely skilled and can match the rest of the competition from top 2d-oriented schools. But you likely won't get hired if you haven't worked on a decent quality short film, typically done at school (and even then...).
i don't believe i've met one autodidact that hadn't entered the market at least 10 years ago.
that's just my experience so far though
>>
>>508509
The french market is almost nonexistent, where you learn is hardly the problem.
>>
>>508509
>le french market

are you serious?
>>
File: 14147448957336.jpg (326KB, 1054x902px) Image search: [Google]
14147448957336.jpg
326KB, 1054x902px
>LEL GUIZE HOW DO I GET INTO 3D INDUSTRY

Here we go again.
And nothing productive was done that day, again.
>>
Gotta make the right connections. Thats what school is mostly for anyway, networking.

Either that, or you need to be really good and stand out in order to catch the eyes of other artists; but this is /3/ so good luck with that option.
>>
>>508028
lol, same bro, same.

I spent 2 years learning 2d / 3d game shit at a school. Definitely not worth it. As soon as i left i threw out 3ds Max, started teaching myself Maya, followed some tuts, started making a character from scratch. learned most of the tools as i went from youtube / vimeo tuts. The only worthwhile thing i learned while studying was some useful design tips, but again, you can find most of what you need online. Since i live in Australia i didn't really make many useful connections either; probably since i'd just be potential competition for the few lecturers i had who actually did work outside of teaching, and this country has essentially no opportunities for games/film.
>>
>>508511
>>508515
are you guys serious ?
>>
>>508027
>What are your thougths on 3D modeling/animation schools in general?
Waste of time and money. There are countless tutorials about everything you could possibly want to do on the internet, and working on your own projects in your free time is infinitely more satisfying than having to do tasks for "teachers" that didn't make it in the industry.
>>
If you can't already do 2D art, don't even bother trying. Your demo reel will be shit and you'll never get a job.
>>
>>508572
nice meme
>>
>>508573
>>
>>508027
Hey I'm signed up to start a 2 year 3d degree at a community college next year, do you think it's even worth trying or should I say fuck it right now and be a plumber or a welder
>>
>>508027
Im doing a 3 year degree in 3D where we can use any tool at our advantage. We also have 200+ 3d and vfx studios in my city.

Ubisoft, EA, Gameloft, Warner Bros, Square Enix etc

So for me it was an obvious choice to make. Great to do local networking and getting to know people in the industry before graduation.

City is Montreal btw
>>
>>508684
post your work
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.