[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just downloaded blender. Which tutorial should I follow first?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 16

Just downloaded blender. Which tutorial should I follow first?
>>
>>507617
Obligatory cloth in glass bowl tutorial.
Obligatory mug tutorial.
>>
>>507619
Tried making the mug

i have no idea what i am doing
>>
>>
select all - remove doubles
>>
>>507630
did that.... what does it do actually?
>>
>>507631
remove overlapping vertices's
>>
This guy is pretty based.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLV7h-WLIx0
>>
My favorite blender tutorial series are by David Allen Ward. They really take you through the process step by step. It's a good way to learn blender.

He has multiple series of tutorials where he models different characters.

Pick one and work through the whole series.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ward7299/videos
>>
File: mug.png (731KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
mug.png
731KB, 960x540px
>>
File: cloth.png (514KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
cloth.png
514KB, 960x540px
>>
File: 1360049724085.jpg (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1360049724085.jpg
16KB, 500x500px
>Never started out with bowl or mug tutorial

I feel like I'm missing out on something.
>>
>>507866
if you know how to do it, its just stupid fun now
>>
File: tankard.png (1MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
tankard.png
1MB, 960x540px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRlXQNMmW7c
>>
Tutor4u
>>
Someone please shed some light on this. I'm a complete beginner as well, but I have some things I'm worried about before I dive into this. Some of which came from watching and following this video tutorial on making a simple human face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80WJKlP3cZc

It's a good tutorial, and he explains things well. Following along, I'm thinking to myself how the heck he is figuring out how to model the nose or the other parts by duplicating faces and scaling down, etc. As I get further in, will I eventually gain a knack for figuring out how to model each part? It seems very foreign to me right now. Also, it takes a very long time to form simple shapes that would take mere seconds in a program like Zbrush. I'll admit to a complete lack of understanding on this topic, but couldn't you sculpt a face, reduce the number of faces/vertices until it looks like a simple shape such as the one he spent a very long time creating with flat surfaces, and then smooth it out or add more vertices/faces as needed? It just feels very clunky to build organic looking meshes the way he does in the video. For those of you who are more experienced using purely non-sculpting methods to create organic looking models, have you ever felt the way I am feeling now, and does it get a lot easier? I'm worried I'll never be able to pick it up, since it seems to blocky and odd to create organic shapes like that.
>>
File: output_file.webm (724KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
output_file.webm
724KB, 480x480px
not op but if we're posting things we're doing for wasting time
>>
>>507932
what the hell is this?
sculpting a head in blender then retopo it is how you do it
>>
Currently usig a site called CGcookie.com for blender tutorials. These tutorials are done by "pros" you could say. Way better than youtube. Only downside is that you have to pay, but its def worth it. There are plenty of tuts on blender.. Unity... Scuplting. I never regretted paying for the subscription. Protip: before you purchase the sub search for discount codes on google. It knocked my price down for the first month.
>>
>>507946
lmfao, good luck getting a high enough polycount to sculpt a nice looking face in Blender.
>>
>>507617
search for Darrin Lile and just watch all of his stuff
>>
Im also a noob, been watching the borncg tutorials and got some stuff, but what i want now is something directed into low polygons character, idc if i need to watch another tutorial since the beginning.
>>
>>507975
I used it for a month before I had to switch shifts at work and couldn't fit it in anymore. Loved every second of it, and now that I have a job with steady hours I was planning on going back.
>>
LIKE I WAS OMG DUDE
>>
>>507976
What do you mean? How much is a "high enough" polycount.
>>
>>507690
I'm going to agree with you on this.
>>
>>509977
He's just memeing Anon. A good amount of polys is like 2 million to 8 million, but with the right tweaks you can work with 40 million.

Blender's #1 problem is that things that should be on by default aren't on by default in Blender, you've got to learn the software and set it up yourself.

You can test all of this yourself by pressing Shift A to enable an FPS counter (according to blenderstackexchange it's not 100% reliable, but whatever it's good enough):

- Enable VBOs (sculpt mode uses it by default) (File -> User Prefs -> System)
- Enable Backface Culling (N menu, Shading)
- Don't use the default Matcaps, use the QuickPrefs addon (way more customization) (N menu, QuickPrefs)
Get QuickPrefs here (it's free) http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/QuickPrefs
- Disable Outline Selected (don't ask me why Blender doesn't intelligently swap to Bounding Boxes or auto-disable this when you Rotate) (N Menu, Display)
- Multi-Res Modifier needs to be at the bottom of the stack (this is true in general, also for Subdivide, but in particular for a speed optimization Blender does)
- You *may* need to turn off Auto-Save (but probably not if you have an SSD?)

The viewport is the next big thing they're working on for 2016.
>>
does anyone know how to dynamic motion tracking or whatever its called in blender? im trying to do gif related, basically focus on a specific part of a video and make the scene move around it as if the camera was locked exactly in place against the object. literally the only tutorials i can find are for putting 3d objects into a video with motion tracking, which is not what i want.
>>
File: Bender Neat.jpg (49KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
Bender Neat.jpg
49KB, 500x491px
>>510077

thanks for the tips
>>
>>510079

I don't know what that's called either, and are you talking more of something done in post, or LITERALLY locking the Camera's position / rotation to an object like when somebody's wearing a head/helmet mounted camera?

Because that's pretty easy, just Parent the camera to the Object (or more likely to an Empty that the other shit is Parented to)
>>
>>510079
Stuff like your GIF is done by hand in Photoshop, usually. Break the video into frames (layers), align each one, then export to a GIF.

There might be a plug-in for something like Adobe Premier but I've never seen it. I've used "video stabilization" plug-ins, which do something similar, but not exactly the same effect you're after.
>>
File: 1446903987005.png (112KB, 316x400px) Image search: [Google]
1446903987005.png
112KB, 316x400px
>>510077
another noob here, thanks
>>
>>507630
CHECKEM
>>
>>510077
There's also this handy tool:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/Display_Tools
>>
what's the difference between blender render and cycles render? which one should I use?
also what's a good place to get some models?
>>
Any good tips/videos for using fluid? I'm trying to make a bottle pouring some vater into a cup and a spilled cup next to it. Have watched tons of videos but can't make it work
>>
>>510628
blender render is no longer supported due to the implementation of cycles, which is superior.

http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/render-engine-comparison-cycles-vs-giants/
>>
>>507884
that looked naughty in the thumbnail
>>
glad I found this thread as I was about to quit and get drunk and accomplish nothing again
>>
File: Cuo.png (337KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cuo.png
337KB, 960x540px
I made a cup, am I a 3d animator now, can I send my resume to Pixar.
>>
File: Cuouo.png (451KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cuouo.png
451KB, 960x540px
>>511320
Also is it bad I spent twenty minutes trying to figure out how to spin the cup before I realized I could just spin the camera
>>
File: Clock.png (244KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Clock.png
244KB, 960x540px
>>507619
The Clock kicked my ass, but not bad for finding and starting today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay7fgeQC1WI

Time to take a break then move on to the Dancing animation
>>
>>511399

Just a tip Anon, don't get mad at the Soccerball tutorial; it's probably his least polished / hand-holdy and most "Here's a cool thing you can do quickly by combining a bunch of different tools", just think it as showing off a bunch of tools that you'll learn about later
>>
>>511320
Positive pinballs Batman that handle is WAY TOO BIG for that cup!
>>
>>511659
Yes, yes it is. In my defense it was the first 3d model I ever made and that's only on hour after even hearing about blender. Plus I was using a laptop with no mouse.
>>
File: Strawberry Shake.png (921KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Strawberry Shake.png
921KB, 960x540px
>>507649
He was pretty good, though after a week of practice I feel I made less mistakes.
>>
>>511752
Anyone know any good uv mapping/ texture tutorials because I am having a shit time with them.

I did find one guy, but he required CrazyBump which is crazy expensive.
>>
File: Clock Gif.gif (594KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Clock Gif.gif
594KB, 480x270px
>>511399
The hard part about this was finding a movie file type my com would actually play.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.