[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fell for the 'Maya is good at modeling now' meme.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: images (1).jpg (5KB, 212x249px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
5KB, 212x249px
I fell for the 'Maya is good at modeling now' meme. This shit doesn't even have basic tools such as separating vertices evenly or creating circular holes. Hell even Blender has those, why can't they just port the Loop Tools panel from 3Ds Max? And the TWO fucking scripts available online are fucking old and not 100% compatible with newer Maya versions.
>>
>or creating circular holes
i actually saw someone do that with maya, are you sure
>>
but it is good at modeling. If you plan and don't fuck up your topology you can only maek gud.
>>
>>506606
>separating vertices evenly
http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2010help/index.html?url=Modeling_a_polygonal_mesh_Splitting_polygon_faces.htm,topicNumber=d0e8483
>>
File: asdd.png (42KB, 613x642px) Image search: [Google]
asdd.png
42KB, 613x642px
>>506618
Not what I meant. There are tools that let you evenly distribute already placed vertices on geometry like pic related. It's actually kind of embarrassing that Maya doesn't have this basic feature.
>>
File: 1422073478910.jpg (7KB, 249x250px) Image search: [Google]
1422073478910.jpg
7KB, 249x250px
>>506606
>>506703

Then just use Blender if you have everything you need th-

>WAAHH WAHHH
>WHY DOES [insert expensive software] NOT HAVE THE FEATURES OF BLENDER I AM COMFORTABLE WORKING WITH
>WAAHH HOW WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO GET INTO THE 3D INDUSTRY WAHH

This is the cancer of /3/.
>>
>>506724
Why do people hate Blender so much?

It's been my experience that artist are among the dumbest groups of people you can talk to or associate with, but are they really so stupid that they cannot fathom that Blender is a useful viable tool even though it's free?

Even if a studio doesn't use it there are literally no features in other 3D suites that are so radically different than Blender that it would make it impossible to switch within a week.

Maybe it's because before ever doing 3D I was a traditionally trained artist but 3D people seem far too concerned with "hurr muh software to make muh textures" and much less concerned with actually understanding form, value and color.
>>
>>506725
That's what I wanted to say. If it works for you and you can get your models done the way you want, there's no reason to switch to other software.

But there are a lot of reasons why plebs think that way.

Most importantly:

Most think that if something is free of charge it has to be crap.
Also, since it is free a lot of people who actually do not have any talent try it and literally shit out stuff and post it online.
As result lots of people who get interested in Blender look it up and see mostly really, really badly done stuff. Combined with "ah, I see...it's freeware" they kind of feel like this confirmed their prejudice.

Then there's this eternal stigma of it being completely impossible to learn.
Personally I think Blender before 2.5x's UI change was fucking horrible but after that it got incredibly better and actually quite easy to learn if you want to do basic stuff (of course takes a lot more to learn for complicated projects).

Ah fuck it, I don't see these opinions changing in a dramatic way in the NEAR future.
But I guess since its popularity is rising, especially with that 3D printing hype and everyone wanting to "create" something the next generation of internet users will have different opinions on Blender the same as more and more people don't even know how it was to get online with a stationary PC and only know tablets and phones.
>>
>>506725
i just hate it when people advertise MAYA EXPERIENCE REQUIRED like maya is the only software in the world capable of making 3D

there are people who use C4D/quixel/mudbox/topogun as opposed to max/3dcoat/zbrush/xnormal
>>
>>506733
Why would you want to work for a retarded company like this?
>>
>>506734
because we have to?
i saw an ad for shader programming and they asked for 3d artist instead
>>
>>506703
Lmfao, if you're relying on that feature for literally anything, you are a trash modeler. You're approaching your project wrong if you're creating garbage shapes the require an automated process to fix up. So stop being trash. Maya's modeling tools have all the things you need to make good models. And there are a billion free scripts that make circular holes for you, paste the script into your script editor and choose the option at the top left to add it to yourself, viola, you now have a button that does the function you want and you can assign a hotkey to it. Much easier to do personal customization like that in Maya than Blender. That is why it's so powerful.
>>
>>506733
>there are people who use C4D/quixel/mudbox/topogun as opposed to max/3dcoat/zbrush/xnormal

You don't even understand what those programs are, do you... xNormal and Topogun are for completely different purposes and nearly everyone uses xNormal in the industry because no other baker rivals it in quality, not Blender's, not Max's, not Maya's. Maya's would come close if it did 16bit bakes, but it doesn't.

Not many people use Mudbox anymore either because it hasn't been updated in the past few years and is now EOL'd by Autodesk. They are moving sculpting into Maya instead.

Quixel is dedicated to texturing only, it is not comparable to 3D coat. It's much better at texturing and some baking, but does nothing else.

C4D is an alright modeler, but its strengths are mainly in VFX/Advertising jobs. That's why you don't see Film and Game studios asking for it.

Wanna know why most studios advertise Maya? Because it is very easy to configure to your studios needs and shape its functionality for the rest of your pipeline to keep production flowing smoothly. It's a great all around package with fine control over its core, a decent UI and a company that is able to get support from, instead of no support for Blender. They ask for Maya so you can quickly integrate into THEIR workflow, not your own, most likely slow and shitty workflow.
>>
>>506743
>xNormal and Topogun are for completely different purposes

calm ur tits, i only stated how workflow varies
>>
>>506743
>most likely slow and shitty workflow.
i bet i could block out a teapot faster than you in blender,you won't even know what hit you
you just like to dismiss things as shit because people who use blender mostly do shit for work
>>
>>506606
>doesn't even have basic tools
>says something other than move, extrude, and slice
Yeah maya sounds too hard for you. You need a program with a bunch of automatic doodads to do the hard stuff for you.
>>
>>506740
Stop being a fucking apologist. Maya is still very basic when it comes to modeling and that's the bottom line.
>>
>>506774
What a retarded logic. If you think this way then I would guess you don't use tools such as split polygon or bevels, because you know they do the 'hard ' stuff for you.
>>
>>506740
>Lmfao, if you're relying on that feature for literally anything, you are a trash modeler
4chan is an 18+ site
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.