[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are one's chances for working for vidya games or movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: 1446636128814-3.jpg (47KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
1446636128814-3.jpg
47KB, 500x491px
What are one's chances for working for vidya games or movies if their main tools are Blender, GIMP and lives in Australia?
>>
leaving shit to chance
huehuehuehue
NONE
>>
Just go indie, find some people to make a game with.
>>
>>503849
>leaving shit to chance

What's that supposed to mean? How is it leaving something to chance?

>>503850
Where do you even find people to make games with?
>>
only thing that matters is the results
>>
>>503857
Except for the fact that nearly every studio asks for you to "Be proficient with ZBrush/Mudbox and Maya". Unless you're like god tier talent, they do not have the time to be training you these programs, there a tonnes of other artists just as good as you if not better who know the programs that they can hire.

So if you want your chances at getting hired to actually be good, don't be a fuckboy who uses Blender and Gimp because muh free software, download the educational version of Maya and learn that shit, pirate ZBrush and learn that shit, nobody gets sued by Pixologic for pirating ZBrush.
>>
>>503860
all models are eventually exported to obj and png, why does this shit matter?
>>
>>503862

Pipeline.
File references.
Riging.
Animation.
Being able to explain to your compositor what you did. How you did it and why.
>>
>>503864
>Pipeline.
there are extensions that are both compatible with maya and blender
>File references.
same thing in both programs,i even checked how it transfers from blender to others and its fine
>Riging.
skeletal animation is the same,however you might not be able to recycle rigs
>Animation.
same
>Being able to explain to your compositor what you did. How you did it and why
we can export it to maya and ill explain it there
>>
>>503865
>there are extensions that are both compatible with maya and blender
Studios have their own scripts and plugins built for Maya and sometimes Max, they expect you to use them to integrate with their workflow.

>skeletal animation is the same
It's abso-fucking-lutely not. Maya has much more capabilities and 100% of the time the studio is using custom rigs with scripting that is only going to work within Maya unless you're a professional programmer who can port all the scripted operations to Blender.

Again, if this wasn't a fucking issue, studios wouldn't be asking for you to be proficient in Maya or Max, they'd say "proficient in any modern 3D modeling package". You, someone who does not fucking work in the industry, is pretending to know better than the people who do and the people who are hiring, that's quite ignorant.
>>
>>503874
correct me if im wrong but good models and animations can still be done without truckload of plugins,the plugins iv used are only for convenience and don't reinvent the wheel
>>
>>503879
Of course they can, nobody is arguing against your ability to make good models with other software... That's not the point. The point is that you're expected to use THEIR workflow, THEIR tools. And as you said "for convenience", work isn't a hobby, time is money, and the tools they've developed for their pipeline save time.

The vast majority of studios want you to use the software they use, this is a simple fact, doesn't matter how much you Blender users hate to hear it.

Could you still use Blender on the side to possibly aid your workflow? Sure, but at the end of the day, you're still going to need to learn how to use the software they want you to.
>>
>>503881
i understand you argument but since so much work is outsourced nowdays, what big of an impact this nitpicking has
>>
>>503883
also since the selection of programs and workflow is so big, what incentive do i get working with something im not comfortable with, aside from zbrush which is a must have i don't see why constrict yourself and your employees.

i mean what if they work with 6 programs and i work with 4 but we get same results? sounds pointless
>>
>>503883
3D work at a game or film studio is rarely outsourced... Only if they can't find local talent that is good enough or someone willing to move will they do that. The "outsourcing" you hear about is a studio partnering with an extra studio to help with the brunt work, but it's usually within the same country.

And it's not us nitpicking, this is how studios are structured, you're expected to be a part of the studio's environment, not be this detached unit doing their own thing. It easier for you to be managed that way as well, since you can be reliable compared to others since you're using the same pipeline, and any potential issues you run into can also more easily be solved.
>>
>>503886
if im required to learn maya or anything else i would but i just tried to understand the logic behind it, 4k a year for modeling suite when the market is full of alternatives is a question that needs to be asked too
>>
>>503887
Except it's not 4k a year... where the hell did you read that? It's $1470 a year. And that's only if you want all of Maya's VFX related features... For just gamedev, you can simply get MayaLT which is only $240 a year.

Just because there are alternatives does not mean they are worth using just because they are free or a bit cheaper. Maya has taken a foothold for good reason, the software is the perfect combination of features and quality that a studio needs, as well as is provided direct support by Autodesk to help studios with any issues instead of requiring them to try and solve any issue the software might have like they would with Blender.

Also, much more professional grade tools are developed for Maya than Blender, which is another great advantage that studios are able to take advantage of.
>>
>>503889
if you are talking about rigging/animating then yes, you are pretty much have to use maya

but as far modeling goes you can pretty much make any model you want with modo and c4d and even blender,texturing already has their own standard programs and its more about talent than the tool
>>
>>503847
Mindlessly scrolled trough and F5'ed /3/ for at least an hour now. Just grew aware of how I keep finding myself staring at Arin's glorious multi-chin for extended periods of time.
>>
File: egothehut.jpg (514KB, 1918x816px) Image search: [Google]
egothehut.jpg
514KB, 1918x816px
>>503847
>>503904

Made some fan-art. Felt relevant with the upcoming movie and all.
>>
Good if you manage to produce quality work, have no problems changing software at the request of the studio, and are willing to move to New Zealand.
But judging by how much of a faggot you are OP, probably none.
>>
>>503860
>Unless you're like god tier talent, they do not have the time to be training you these programs
I guess I must have gotten to godtier with Blender and GIMP then, because that's exactly what I've been offered.
>>
>>503874
>Studios have their own scripts and plugins built for Maya and sometimes Max, they expect you to use them to integrate with their workflow.

you just contradicted yourself. you first said they expect you to know it all and they don't want to train you, but then they make you use their scripts, invariably leading to some training since it's going to be a completely different workflow from whatever you've been doing.

make up your mind.
>>
>>503974
There's a huge different between learning a whole new 3D package ON TOP of also learning all their custom tools, and just learning the custom tools. When you already know Maya, learning any custom tools they have will only take you that single day and you'll be good to go, unlike learning the whole package which will take you weeks if not months to grow comfortable with.
>>
>>503854
Just do the game yourself. Unity is literally WYSIWYG point and click.
>>
>>503854
>Where do you even find people to make games with?
Honestly, it's probably a shitty option, but you can try AGDG on /vg/. They're just a bunch of wannabe game devs who mostly do know how to art. Allot of them would kill to work with a spriter or modeller so if you see a project that looks fun but has shit art then you can offer to do their art and animation for a half cut of profits.

The triple A industry died in Australia but there are a couple companies that do mobile games here. I imagine your chances would be shits as, though. That's why I reckon you're better off going indie.

You could also google game dev communities in your area if you want to work with someone face to face.
>>
>>504124
i don't recommend agdg, they can't stick to schedule more than a week
>>
>>503847
If you're lucky, you may get to a part in an interview where they will ask you to model something according to their specification and/or within a timeframe. Your potential employer will expect you to model using the same software they have licenses for, and without fancy plugins.

If you can't model without special bits and pieces, then see ya! They're gonna waste time teaching you.
>>
>>503894
Gamedev here.
I LOVE to use blender. Maya and Max are shitsticks vs blender.
BUT:
Blender is Open source. That means: NOONE wants to clean this shit, everyone's just adding addons.
Did you try looking into the source code of your fucking .blend file?? The fucking STEPS are saved! For SOME fucking reason.
When you import a named .obj model, and rename it in blender, it doesn't fucking matter, the original name is still saved in the .mtl. That means if you try to do anything with it in the engine, you don't know what kind of name you should address.

Rigging SUCKS in blender, it can't be used for anything. If you try to put a rig into an engine and try to move the bones individually per code, you're fucked. This thing is the most buggy mess I've ever seen.

Yes Max crashes. Yes the Interface is a piece of monkeyshit. Yes ZBrush controls suck giantic horse schlong.

But the files are usable. The Files blender puts out are good for one thing: to be opened in blender.
Nothing else.
>>
>>504660
wtf is this logic.

Try opening a .mb file with anything that's not maya and see what happens.
>>
>>504691
Good thing Maya actually fully supports FBX, which is supported by all other 3D software worth using. Blender's FBX support is still poor, even despite the recent update.
>>
File: CVtQpMPVAAATzJ9.jpg (17KB, 474x423px) Image search: [Google]
CVtQpMPVAAATzJ9.jpg
17KB, 474x423px
>>504692
>Good thing Maya actually fully supports FBX
>>
>>504691
Dude I wasn't only talking about .blend files (although they are used in some engines), I was talking about the .obj or .fbx blender shits out.
>>
>>504717

I never had any problems with fbx from blender into unity. What are you doing? You need to make sure you have the scale, location and rotation applied to the object or else things like rigs start to glitch out, atleast thats allways the problem for me(when I have a problem)
>>
>>504721
I'm not talking about fucking unity, I'm talking about gameengines.
>>
>>503847
The video game industry hires people who know Max, Maya, Mudbox, Photoshop, Zbrush, Substance, Unreal, and Unity

The film industry hires people who know Maya, After Effects, Photoshop, Element 3D, and Cinema 4D.

Indie startups hire people who aren't adept at reading contracts, but are good with Blender and GIMP. Always have a counter contract. Know your rights.

Or learn those other programs, especially Maya and Photoshop
>>
>>504819
>he video game industry hires people who know Max, Maya
Go around to 3D job postings, you'll be hard pressed to find them asking for 3DS Max these days, all I'm ever seeing lately is Maya and ZBrush as their requirement.
>>
>>504819
You forgot Modo.
>>
>>504660
I myself coded in opengl for school and had no problem with the obj files blender puts out.
>>
>>504090

Not OP, but don't you need to program a little bit with C#? I'd love to just start making simple games with Unity, but that's keeping me from checking it out.
>>
>>505155
A day of looking up C# basics and code examples will have you understanding it and getting something working within that day. It's really not as complicated as one might think. The biggest thing is simply trying to remember all the functions available to you, thankfully the auto-complete in MonoDevelop and VS help you with that.

There are also a lot of free scripts you can download to plop into your game to use and Unity comes with a few character controllers and stuff.
>>
>>505159
This this this !
>>505155
I downloaded Unity sometime in July and now I'm trucking progress on a mobile shooter. Just download some assets you find useful and open up the scripts, reverse engineer them. You're human, you can do it breh.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.