[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm getting really frustrated with UV's, I'm quite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Frustrated_Child_Homework_H.jpg (16KB, 365x249px) Image search: [Google]
Frustrated_Child_Homework_H.jpg
16KB, 365x249px
I'm getting really frustrated with UV's, I'm quite new to 3D but for the few models I've made i've had constant problems with the UVs which have ultimately ended up with me abandoning the model because they look like shit or the textures constantly break.

Are there any good resources on a workflow for getting UVs right, how did you learn how to do it properly? I just wanna make lowpoly waifus.
>>
>>501851
learn about UV seams. Use Maya. The new 3D unwrap is just fucking sick, you have to be a complete retard to fail at it now
>>
Is it normal for it to take so long, I have a model that is sub 1000 polys and its taking me hours and hours and hours to finish the UV which ends up not even working very well.
>>
>>501868

it should take 3 seconds
>>
>>501868
what program ur using
>>
>>501873
Blender.
>>
>>501874
don't use that, export as obj and import in max/maya, i'll help you or even do it for you if you show proof
>>
>>501874
1.do regular unwrap with seams
2.go to UV editor
3.select all the overlapping faces - press Y to cut them from island
4.use G to grab and S to scale
5.use snapping so you can snap any faces you want to other face
arrange everything until you get desired results

too bad that in UV's you can't snap to edges, only to vertex and increments
>>
>>501880
more shortcuts

use R to rotate
use B to group select
i think you have something with

you also something called sticky selection mode but i don't know how to use it
>>
>>501880
>>501881

The thing is I've used all these things, my issues are with the seams, how do I know where to place them? Sometimes I unwrap parts of my model and it looks completely unworkable and I have to tear my hair out for ages until I can get something that works.
>>
>>501882
did you watch any tutorial on unwrapping?
unwrapping shouldn't be pinpoint accurate unless you uses pre-made textures
>>
>>501883
>>501883
Yeah I watched plenty. My main issue with the textures is that when I begin to paint I get pixelly edges that dont line up with the actual edges of the model which ruins the effect.
>>
>>501884
seems like edge bleeding and overlapping faces

edge bleeding happens if you paint with face selection masking, then you have to scale down the UV's so they won't have edge bleeds

or try to get a different plugin that unwraps the model with bigger islands that don't bleed
>>
>>501886
i should mention that this is a blender problem
when i use zbrush uv unwrapping it creates an island for everything and it don't overlap or bleed white
>>
>>501886
Yeah thats exactly what i was doing, I will have a look for a plugin, thank you.
>>
>Not using zbrush's uvmaster and never having to uv manage again
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.