[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

freelance self-taught looking for some feedback

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: scar5.jpg (1MB, 2240x1680px) Image search: [Google]
scar5.jpg
1MB, 2240x1680px
so /3/,

for those of you who hate to read:

TLDR:
OMG AM I ANY GOOD U GUISE??!?!

for any of you who can read like 100 characters:

I've been mainly browsing /b/ for a couple of years, but I would like to get a job as a 3d artist at some point. Don't even know how many visits /3/ threads get, but I'd like to get some honest reviews to determine if I am going in a good direction or not.
>>
give up.
>>
>>501618
that was never an option but thanks for the detailed and wise feedback
>>
just to clarify that is a Zbrush model made from a polysphere
>>
File: scar6.jpg (1MB, 2240x1680px) Image search: [Google]
scar6.jpg
1MB, 2240x1680px
bumping with more
its not a finished model
but then again what the fuck is finished in this business
>>
>>501617
It's not clear by your Op piece just how 'mainly browsing /b/ for a couple of years' relates to your 3D work.

If your main activity for the last few years have been browsing /b/ it is quite possible that you are damaged beyond repair.
>>
>>501623
ok that's true...
I just meant I have no idea about how /3/ works since I've only been browsing /b/....
but yeah the damage is done for sure
still, some feedback would be gr8 m8
>>
>>501617
Needs practice. If you can, get some images of sculpted meshes done by professionals, and try to duplicate their mesh side by side as you go.

Once you'd begun noticing the subtle details that make it look real you'll become more experienced.

The human mind is amazing. Doing something frequently enough can teach it how to work as if a reflex movement.
>>
File: __freakyeyeheadau1.jpg (18KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
__freakyeyeheadau1.jpg
18KB, 320x400px
>>501617
>>501621
here's a way to shape distances.
>>
File: Bare-Lips.jpg (20KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Bare-Lips.jpg
20KB, 400x300px
>>501617
>>501621
You need better lips
>>
>>501617
>browsing /b/ for a couple of years
Arrives on /3/ with horror monster. . .seems legit.

But just to play along - Skin texture is Ok, I don't know what software you used but if you used Blender , don't use particles for the eyebrows or eyelashes, use an alpha texture.

The lips man . . .. come on . . .they are horrific!
>>
thanks for everyone who took the time to give tips, it's good to know there are people who frequent this board and give actual advice lel
>>501637
>>501632
I know the lips are horrendous, fucked them up and decided to go with them after doing Zremesh, now the geometry is messed up
I only used Zbrush and nothing else, with some alphas and simple polypaint
>>
just if there are anyone doing characters frequently, please tell me what workflow you have, no matter the program you use.
I usually go Zbrush and do the whole thing there but as I know a lot of people do a base mesh in Zbrush then GoZ in and out of Maya until the topo looks perfect...how hard is that?
>>
>>501617
Looks as if it is coming along. Most of the face is alright, but the lips, and the inside nostrils - terrible. Brows too close to the eyes. Softer nose bridge might be better. The corners of the eyes could uses some refinement.
Over all shape, and size looks right.
>>
File: scar7.jpg (2MB, 2240x1680px) Image search: [Google]
scar7.jpg
2MB, 2240x1680px
>>501628
so you think even if you don't plan to animate it's important that the topology is all lined up perfectly? as I usually for now just go with a high poly mesh and sculpt it after a few Zremshes...but it could be worth to manually improve the curves to line up perfectly I guess
thanks for the tip anyways
>>
>>501631
I try to use real life photos of people for distances, but then again since they are not fixed onto the shape I fuck them up in the end a bit.
thanks for the tip
>>
>>501638
I use Blender and for my Characters, I use a base mesh from MakeHuman, the topology is pretty good and the character is fully rigged after export.
The Zbrush meme on /3/ pisses me off a bit because unless you want to create a fancy blob monster or a specimen for a biology lab, it's pretty shit!

I think Zbrush might be Ok for an accomplished artist that sculpts a model and puts it on a turntable but for anything else, it's hopeless, the meshes are totally unsuitable for animation.
>>
>>501641
No, not if you're not animating. You just want basic symmetry in case you plan to animate. The topology around the mouth might not stretch the cheeks smoothly.

If you're not animating, you could put a lot more detail.
At this close, in person you'd see tiny veins, and pores near all of the creases such as the nostrils, and under the eyes.
>>
>>501617
whether or not you head in the right direction just depends on how you recognize errors in this piece and improve over time, that's entirely up to you

as to what you have here:
model looks kinda lumpy and lips are extremely inaccurate. doesn't seem like you understand the forms of the face and anatomy well, pay more attention and study real faces.

the texturing: in the diffuse it looks like you're trying to handpaint lots of random colors, again understand the big forms and masses to avoid it looking random. the roughness is way too smooth so it looks like plastic, try to undestand the variety in the oil and specular response in real human skin. and if you are aiming for realism you need skin pores, a bump/disp can help with this
>>
>>501644
zbrush isn't a /3/ meme, it's in general what people use in the industry. whether it's static models or game models or film models.

do you not know what the retopo process is?
>>
>>501644
> the meshes are totally unsuitable for animation.
God you're a fucking dumbass who knows nothing about the production pipeline. You sculpt the assets to get a high quality mesh TO BAKE MAPS FROM to a low poly. And you simply draw that low-poly mesh on top of your sculpt. Easy fuckin peezy.
>>
>>501747
God you sound as if a fucking child, the kind nobody wants to bother with, and people agree with just to get you to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>501693
>the industry.
Somebody save me.
>>
>>501631
thats just fucking retarded
name one person who has more than 2 eyes
>>
>>501781
so funney LOL :D xD
>>
>>501621

Why does she have a concave lower lip ? Come on OP, this is basic shit. Get it together.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.