[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After using the uniform scale tool I cannot chamfer corners evenly.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: chamfer broke.png (244KB, 1365x833px) Image search: [Google]
chamfer broke.png
244KB, 1365x833px
After using the uniform scale tool I cannot chamfer corners evenly.

How do I correct this?
>>
>>500721
oh, 3dsmax 2015 btw.
>>
>>500721
Next time try to scale only in subobject mode, ie selecting all verts/polygons.

To fix it try resetting your Xform. Select the object, then go to the Utilities tab (the one with the little hammer on the right) and hit Reset Xform. Then collapse the object.
>>
>>500721
You broke the edgeflow by doing that initial chamfer on the corners there. That main large face is now a 36 sided face, when it used to be just 4 sided (a quad). Retain quads with your modeling operations, if an operation is going to generate n-sided faces, think of a different approach or a way you can quadify that face afterwards.

The simplest solution here would be to simply delete the large face and let it be simply an outside strip of polys for now. Then add thickness with an extrude once you're done getting the shape you want. This is how that phone is built anyways, it's a strip of metal around the outside.
>>
>>500726
>select front and back faces
>inset
>target weld the appropriate corners together

Oh look.
>>
>>500727
>instead of creating the proper, realistic topology that the phone has to get the realism you want
>make a bunch of triangles on the corner leading to a central quad
Yeah, ok bud.
>>
>>500730
>quad

You clearly didn't read what I said.
>>
>>500731
This is what happens if he follows your specific instructions. Motherfucking triangles. Yeah, you could delete each second edge, but your edgeflow is still fucked due to them all leading to a single point on each corner. There is a proper way to model that surface to keep it fully workable all over if one wants, but we won't get into that.

If he's going to go that route, he shouldn't even bother welding the corners. Simply insetting once will give him back modeling control over his outside edges. But again, if he actually wants to make this phone look realistic, he should do as I said to actually model the metal edge to its real physical shape.
>>
just reset the x-form. you can google it yourself.
>>
>>500721
Apply scale.
>>
>>500721
>>500732

>pissing themselves over triangles while completely ignoring those huge ass ngons
>>
>>500757
Explain where the n-gon is in the final mesh in >>500732 's image.
>>
>>500757
Ya, not too worried about the ngons. Settle yourself.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.