[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3DCG in anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: Mimika (1).webm (1MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Mimika (1).webm
1MB, 720x405px
I was encouraged by one of your users to say I thought this looks good here.

Not sure if it matters, but the studio responsible for the animation is called Orange.

I'm mostly curious about the technical aspect of why it's "shit."
>>
File: Sui (1).webm (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Sui (1).webm
3MB, 720x405px
>>500539
Show is Fafner Exodus, if that matters.
It's from this year.
>>
File: Rina and Seri.webm (2MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Rina and Seri.webm
2MB, 720x405px
>>500540
>>
It looks fine to me
personally I dislike the 3d/2d mix never really done right.
>>
>>500539
it's not bad /a/ just likes to bash on cg even when it's good
>>
honestly looks great. part of that is that 3D really lends itself to the precision needed to illustrate mechs
>>
Orange is unmatched at mecha action nowadays.
>>
>>500546
>>500549
>>500550
>>500560
Thanks for weighing in.
>>
This is a case of 3D in 2D anime done well. If you want a shit example, look at the the 3D in Overlord, another anime from this year. it's fucking horrible.
>>
File: Amaterasu.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Amaterasu.webm
2MB, 640x360px
Is it okay to post more fafner webms?
>>
>>500582
no
get the fuck out of our board now
>>
>>500584
So hostile
>>
>>500586
back to >>>/a/ with your shit tastes
>>
>>500539
>>500540
>>500541
>>500582
The yellow robots and the dark balls look like shit, the rest is fine.
The animation could be more fluid though.
>>
>>500610
/m/, actually.
>>500613
The mechs themselves are about 35M tall in universe so the fluidity, or lack thereof, kinda makes sense. The first five seconds of this one in particular >>500541 give a better sense of scope.
Also, these are webms of the tv rips, so it's somewhat compressed.
They lack the aliasing on the balls in the BluRay releases.

Thanks for the input. Also the yellow/gold things are aliens, not that it matters.
>>
>>500616
go back to >>>/m/ with your shit taste in mechs
>>
>>500616
/3/ is the 4chan haven for disgruntled preteen nerds. The negative comments in this thread are by one of them. Also, protip- this board is shit, you have nothing to gain by going here.

These anons were all spot on.
>>500546
>>500549
>>500550
>>
>>500582

Yes, it's CGI used in a production setting, although it's hard to talk about it in any sort of technical fashion when it's such a tiny resolution and such short clips

Personally I felt like the robots didn't quite look right with respect to weightiness, like it's fine for a robot to be agile or if it's using some kind of rocket or piston or something to force itself to move quickly but if the robot has obvious bits that are meant to look heavy and bulky but then it kinda quickly flips around and stuff without a visual reason as to why / how (like an afterburner, or being thrown by something, or whatever), it looks "off" to me.

But I think that may just represents limitations of render time and number of frames and such, maybe not so much a problem with the animator's technique but rather the limitations imposed upon them.

It's also personal opinion and I generally don't like blending 2D with 3D; Spirits Within is like the best anime/eastern stylized CGI movie I've ever seen (but then I haven't seen many).
>>
>>500639
Giant robots in anime usually have a lightness to them that is unrealistic since anime usually has them acting in extremely unrealistic roles. It's practically tradition for them to move no differently than a giant sized human and also easier than the animator making a whole set of movement patterns based in the idea of an actual giant humanoid moving with realistic physical constraints.

Longer webms
https://jii.moe/NJC1xh2el.webm
https://d.maxfile.ro/jrjkliexwx.webm
http://b.1339.cf/nsdomdd.webm
>>
>>500641
>https://jii.moe/NJC1xh2el.webm
This is almost 5 something years old.
>>
>>500632
>this board is shit
every board is shit
if you want real thoughts go to polycount
>>
>>500613
Yeah, those balls...
They are totally out of place and they look like the animation team said "we can't figure out how to do explosions in this particular software, so we'll just make everything turn into a weird black circle when it dies."

Yeah, I know, you're going to tell us how the black ball represents some kind of portal to another dimension or whatever shit the writers had to pull out of their ass to cover for the animators' inabilities.
>>
File: Maya.webm (3MB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Maya.webm
3MB, 600x450px
>>500657
Well, they used to be animated by hand (at least partially) in the series' 2004 predecessor. Back when the series was made on a tight budget. See this web, at about 13 seconds in.

It is a pseudo portal though, yes.
>>
>>500657
No. I'm going to tell you the black balls are a hold over from the original hand drawn series.
>>
>>500657
Bet you feel like an idiot now after gettingtoldt that those balls had a purpose and are not just animation fuckups
>>
>>500687
Dude, what the hell?
>>
File: arm.png (276KB, 403x289px) Image search: [Google]
arm.png
276KB, 403x289px
>>500541
Around 6 seconds in.
Jesus, why not make mechanical joints if your rigging is gonna be shit.
>>
I don't have much knowledge on CG animation, i'd say this visually looks great but i was wondering what would you think about it.
Wish i had webm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sxqTGd3S1A
>>
>>500715
it feels too stiff, like they are all robots
>>
Looks faintly wrong, to me. Out of place. Whenever ive seen 3dcg in anime done well, its always been sparing. In my opinion, if 3dcg is done well in anime, you shouldn't notice that its there.
>>
>>500711
If I remember correctly, that's actually a correct representation of how the Fafners' elbow joints are supposed to work.

The articulation on the Fafners is really, really fucking weird. I remember when I first got my hands on the RD Mark Sieben model, I had no idea how to pose the damn thing because the joints were set up so oddly.

They're impressively flexible once you figure out the weird joint setup, though.
>>
>>500539
I don't think it looks particularly bad for CG *technically*, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good as hand drawn animation does.

If you're going to do 3d animation then in my opinion you shouldn't try to make it look like it's hand drawn. Because you have to be very very good to make it look natural otherwise.
>>
>>500744
I think thats more of just the anime animation style as a hold over from no budget animation
>>
File: 1448326478572.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1448326478572.webm
3MB, 720x404px
What does /3/ think of this?
Same studio as the earlier stuff.
>>
>>502834

I think I have one of those can openers, too, but it don't light up like that.
>>
>>502837
Asians been making cheap kock offs of Swiss army knives forever, this was bound to happen.
>>
>>502837
10/10 post
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.