[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just started working on a project in Unity. I have already done

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

File: download (11).jpg (6KB, 368x137px) Image search: [Google]
download (11).jpg
6KB, 368x137px
Just started working on a project in Unity. I have already done the Java course in CodeAcademy but it didn't give me a lot relevant to work with in Unity itself.

Any good places to learn relevant commands, lines of code for Unity? I have been getting by slow but fine. Just don't want to keep googling every fucking problem. Just want to learn as much as I can.

Also how easy is it to import and work with my own assets from 3Ds Max to Unity? Haven't touched that stuff at all but I have a bunch of stuff I'd like to use.
>>
>>498939
First step, learn to use C# in Unity, not fucking Javascript. Javascript is much more limited in functionality and less efficient. They only implemented it to try and attract existing web-developers.

Very easy to import your assets, both Max and Maya have a direct to Unity export button.

The Unity website has tonnes of tutorials to get your started on the basics and even advanced programming, so start there.
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting
>>
File: 1405762493945.png (248KB, 555x546px) Image search: [Google]
1405762493945.png
248KB, 555x546px
>>498952

>java is more like javascript than c#

leave
>>
>>498953
That's not what I said at all.
Unity doesn't support Java, it uses Javascript. OP just didn't know the difference. Notice how I specifically said "Javascript" and not "Java" in my reply?
>>
>>498954

Pro-tip: if you know Java you know c#
>>
>>498955
Pro-tip: That's irrelevant to what I was saying. But yes, for the most part.
>>
>>498953
Java is less advanced than C#
>>
>>498959

>being this ignorant about the jvm

retard
>>
>>498963
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_C_Sharp_and_Java#Types

Please pleb, Java is a trash programming language. People only used it because back in the day because it was the only real decent programming language that created apps with browser support. And because it was a bit easier for nubs to get into. Java is going the way of Flash. Too many security holes, too many layers of abstraction, and waning browser support (Chrome doesn't support it at all anymore).
>>
>>498973

>ignorant rant

It's bad enough we have 14yos making stupid comments about /3/ programs, now it's spread to making stupid comments about programming languages.

Java is the new COBOL. If you don't understand what that means, then shut your ignorant mouth and go educate yourself.
>>
>>498988
>Java is the new COBOL
pffft ahahaha, you crack me up m8. Java is definitely not the new COBOL. Java has been heavily downward trending over the past 5 or so years. And Chrome's dropping of support for it was a huge nail in its looming coffin. It will never be the new COBOL due to its massive amount of security issues and ever developing bugs that COBOL does not have. I'm sorry that you happen to have a major hard-on for a specific programming language, but how about you put on some big boy pants and learn some other languages too? It'll do ya good.
>>
>>498952
OP here

Thanks for the link, I'll start in on C# today. I appreciate the help.
>>
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting
>>
Man I was os excited for this thread when I saw it. Too bad it got shit up by a meta argument.

Anyways op people are right when they say that js in unity is limited compared to c# but js has some advantages too. On being that all of your variables are automatically serialized and editable in the editer.

Learning js didn't prepare me for the mountain of shit seperation it from how unity uses it. First it's not being interpreted like a script it's being compiled like a program. That means declaring variable types. Creating classes for every object you want. And a whole lot else.
I taught myself just by looking up commands and such in the api. Having already gone through the pain, of you post a specific problem in this thread I might be able to help you out. I'm fairly confident I can get a unity script code to do whatever a c# code does, even if it involves jumping through a few more hoops.
>>
>>499056
>On being that all of your variables are automatically serialized and editable in the editer.

Wait, what? They're all automatically public? That's awful, the editor tabs will be massively messy unless you make them private.
>>
>>499056
Hey thanks very much Anon I appreciate the input! I haven't gotten too far into my game but I think I may switch over to C# just because it seems like a nice thing to have under my belt and I already have some experience with Java and continue to use Java script in other projects.

What did you end up making in Unity?
>>
>>499057
Yeah that's right. If you write messy code you get messy results. As I understand it though there are things c# simply can't serialize that js can. I think the point is that little js modules are meant as simplifying gateways to more complex background code.
>>
>>499086
Remember that if you co fuse Javascript and Java you'll make programmers heads explode.

I made a game that's here http://spookytimeguy.tumblr.com
All of the code is written in javascript. I later found out that some of the things I struggled to get working are trivially easy in c#. Oh well.
>>
>>499088
>As I understand it though there are things c# simply can't serialize that js can
You understand it wrong. C# can do everything Javascript can and so much more.
You know how you make something show up in the editor? You simply type "public" instead of "private" behind your variable declaration. Static typing is much cleaner and efficient.

And for anything special, like stacked arrays, you simply put [System.Serializable] above the line you want to show in Editor.

>I'm fairly confident I can get a unity script code to do whatever a c# code does, even if it involves jumping through a few more hoops.
Try to use an external DLL/Library with your Javascript.
>>
>>499006

>more ignorant bullshit

No, dumbass, you don't fucking get it. Just like I said you wouldn't.

Chrome? Security? The fact you think any of that matters just shows how ignorant you are.

You know what; I'm feeling nice. I'll give you a hint. When was the last time you saw COBOL code in production? Oh, you haven't? So you assume it's not there?
>>
>>499095
>Chrome?
Chrome has the largest market the largest browser userbase right now, it's an important platform to be present on. The consumer use of Java is drastically declining now, even you should be able to admit that.

>Security? The fact you think any of that matters just shows how ignorant you are.
>Oh, you haven't? So you assume it's not there?
I know where COBOL is used, and the places it's used have security as a need of utmost importance. Unless you think government and business don't care about security... COBOL is secure, Java is not, and thus they are staying on COBOL currently. The consumer side of Java dying rapidly will greatly affect the public view of Java and drive much less people to use it, further preventing Java from keeping itself relevant and in the public eye of people who would consider switching from COBOL to Java.
>>
>>499090
You sure? I coulda swore there were just some data types c# couldn't serialize. I don't know and it's not super important. And you can totally use external libraries in unity script. I had to in order to make a file handling script wich is where I heard about c# not being able serialize some marginal data type. That's irrelevant anyways, my point is I could script a unity script that wouldperform the same function as well as any c# script.
>>
>>498952
This guy is right. Switching to C# isn't hard and you'll have a lot easier time coding in the future.

As for getting objects right into Unity just export fbx files.
>>
>>499099

>more Chrome

Do you live in 1999? Because that's when Java in the browser was last relevant.

>completely misguided ideas on security requirements for business logic and middleware

Get back to me when you've worked with it, kid. COBOL security has more to do with locked doors and security guards than anything inherent to the language. Java fits very nicely in those roles, and it's secure where it needs to be. The idea that Java's "insecurity" is going to keep it out of business or government just shows how little you know about software design in large organizations. Especially if you think managers are going to ignore their vendors' advice (IBM, Oracle) and expand a legacy code base where fewer and fewer knowledgeable developers are available.

Why don't you give Raytheon a call and ask a recruiter what language the government is most interested in. It's not Python.

The "consumer" side of Java is Android. I'll admit I don't know much about trends in mobile development, but it's funny - I was just talking to a recruiter from a telecom yesterday who was looking for Java programmers for mobile apps. I don't like Java, so I turned it down. He wasn't the first.
>>
File: kid-dog-hair.jpg (38KB, 501x591px) Image search: [Google]
kid-dog-hair.jpg
38KB, 501x591px
OP here.

I don't usually browse /3/ and i gotta say you guys are brutal and scary. But some of you are giving great advice though and I really appreciate it!
>>
I also just started learning c# in unity (I didn't have any prior scripting/programming knowledge before) I started with c# because I can use it in Unreal too.

I just started working on some game and when I came across some new problem I just Google it if someone had a similar problem before. Also there is documentation of all the unity specific commands on the official Unity site (which didn't help me very much at first since I didn't know but now I understand mostly. Still sometimes the unity site forgets to mention some important information and I have to dig it up somewhere else)

I can't say which is better, Javascript or C#, but from what I have seen Javascript sometimes seems to be simpler and more relaxed while c# gets all autismal and assblasted about everything (which probably gives you more control ) Like if you want a timer or the script to wait for a set amount of time you have to do this whole StartCoroutine thing in c#, in Javascript you just type "yield waitforseconds" or something similar and you are done.
>>
>>499135
startcoroutine(swiggety())

IEnumerator swiggety()
{
yield return new WaitForSeconds(3);
}

That's literally all you need, and then you can create loops within it if required.

The problem with Javascripts relaxedness is it being wasteful and vague. You have to be clear about exactly what variable you want to use in C# which means you have to understand exactly why you're using a value without any fuckups in the code regarding whether or not you've got a float or an int.
>>
>>499143
Unity forces you to type cast variables with js. It forces you to do a lot of things that you normally don't have to in like a browser environment. It's almost like it's a c++ified javascript
>>
>>499165

Huh, then why bother? Just use C# then.
>>
>>499170
Cuz I already learned js and am more comfortable with it. Same story as op.
>>
>>499228
It's literally just a few small changes in how you structure your code... It's really not hard to learn, especially considering Unity will give you an error list detailing what ways you fucked up the code so you can correct and learn from it. I learned most of what's needed to program C# in Unity within a few days =/
>>
>>499090
It's actually not necessary to make variables public to show them in the inspector. For example, if you really want to keep something private, you can just add the attribute [SerializeField].

Similarly you can hide public variables by adding a [HideInInspector] to better manage the mess.
>>
>>499903
The choice between js and c# in unity grows more arbitrary the more I learn about it.
>>
>>498939
Java is not an ideal script to code games in. It eats up a LOT of virtual memory.
>>
>>498939
USE THE FUCKING UNITY TUTORIALS ON THE UNITY WEBSITE

HOLY FUCK

HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO TELL PEOPLE

UNITY TUTORIALS ARE THE BEST OUT THERE
JUST FUCKING USE THEM

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting
>>
>>500817
Unity tutorials are shit, they pretty much only tell you how to use their provided API classes in specific scenarios. It's totally a hand held experience that gives you an illusion of learning...

Crack open a book on C# and for every chapter try to figure out what the code does, and where it can be used.
>>
>>499980
There is a difference between Java and javascript, you know... Also it doesn't matter if you use c# or javascript because both of them get compiled to the same exact code in Unity.
>>
>>499980
if it was only eating a lot of virtual memory, that'd be no big problem, since virtual memory is virtually (huehue) unlimited (well, limited by your address space, but 18450000 terabytes of RAM is quite a bit, I would say...)
>>
>>500942
What? So what?
I'm in the "it doesn't matter what you code in" camp but this is not the reason.
>>
>>500942
>because both of them get compiled to the same exact code in Unity
That's like saying it doesn't matter if your use C# or C++ to write your computer program, because it gets compiled to machine code anyways. Your claim is based on the assumption that compilers are smarter than coders, they're not. The over-simplification of Javascript leads to the Unity compiler creating less efficient code than if you used C#.
>>
>>500940
If you need to learn more than just the API then you shouldnt be trying to program games.
Go read a logic book or something
The unity tutorials are pretty great for people with a brain and a handful of basic experiance
>>
Use unreal engine and the blue print editor ;^}
>>
>>499124
>Do you live in 1999? Because Java in the browser was last relevant.

I have to disagree here. Some sites won't even let you access them without Java still. Modern sites even.

If you're using firefox and have javablock, then GG watching videos, or accessing some pages.
>>
>>501034
Javascript isn't Java.
>>
>>498939
Hi OP, not sure if you're still here. Anyway I suggest you this channel for C#

https://www.youtube.com/user/Brackeys

The tutorials have a very CS aspect but are easy and practical enough for Unity.
>>
>>501109
I second this. His videos were very helpful when I was starting out learning C#.
>>
>>498939
http://www.lynda.com/Unity-tutorials/Scripting-Unity-C/365280-2.html

help us both out and find a legit dl link / torrent for this
>>
File: android.png (2KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
android.png
2KB, 225x225px
I am just going to ask here instead of opening a new thread.

Anyone knows a good game engine for Android tablet/mobile devices capable of 3d for FREE/open source.(if it has iOS support thats a plus)

What I have found so far is Citrus and GamePlay3d, but those are only frameworks and dont have any visual editor. I know some C#, but that kinda goes over my head.

I dont really want to pay a monthly fee for Unity pro(just in case) and would rather have no obligation to do so. If I dont find anything I am just going with unity anway.
>>
>>501703
i mean, unity is free until you make 100k. pro at this point just gives you the dark theme and removes the splash screen. if you really want to go the FOSS route, it isnt unthinkable to do the whole game in blender - just not recommended.
>>
>>501704
idk why you just reposted the exact same thing but with a shitty png but here's your response
>>501705
>>
>>501706

>idk why you just reposted the exact same thing but with a shitty png

Because I wanted to do so in the first place and then forgot and posted it again.
>>
>>501707
thats the most exactly a response i've seen in a bit
>>
>>501705
You don't need Pro to get rid of the Unity splash on your built game. You can disable the splash in the free version's build settings.
>>
>>501704

Is this any good?

http://www.godotengine.org/projects/godot-engine

Doesnt look that bad, open source, similar interface like unity, multi platform support.

https://youtu.be/HXhiuDdzCPc
https://youtu.be/UWB-HVFxEpU
https://youtu.be/HfvEtag6RcM
>>
>>501732
no
>>
>>501745

Why not? Pls elaborate.
>>
>>498939
A lot of peeps run VS, and import their C# to Unity. MonoDevelop will be adequate if you're not seasoned, especially if you're still learning the ropes, but if you want to start flexing your muscles, you'll probably find it lacking.
>>
>>501754
It doesn't seem to support basic features like vsync even though something like this is super-easy to integrate (you literary just have to change an integer from 0 to 1)
Stuff like this is a clear indication of a meme engine

>>502699
I've been using Visual Studio for years and find MonoDevelop more than adequate
In fact I don't miss anything other than it not remembering which parts of my code are folded/unfolded
And I certainly don't miss the gigabytes of adware Visual Studio installs
Though for beginners Visual Studio may be better due to being slightly more intuitive and the WinForms designer supposedly being better
>>
I've been using the student version of maya for years now for random learning projects and more recently for game assets
Now that we're considering properly releasing a game, it's slightly worrying me that the student version of maya is meant to be strictly for non-commercial purposes

I downloaded blender and tried to start using it but I cannot stand it, even after switching to maya control mode it just does way too many things illogically that just werk straight away in maya

If I were to use the student version of maya, is there any way of metadata being retained in the files of the final exported unity game that could theoretically incriminate me? Is this the kind of thing autodesk actually care about, or are they more concerned with industry companies not pirating the software for their whole institution?
>>
>>502778
>If I were to use the student version of maya, is there any way of metadata being retained in the files of the final exported unity game that could theoretically incriminate me?

No. Even the Maya scene files do not have any incriminating info in them, other than a single text line that says "Educational Version", and obviously folder references for textures and whatnot, but that's not at all incriminating unless you're storing your files on a drive with your full name listed. But again, this is stripped away in the compiled game. All useless metadata is.

If you're paranoid though, you can just us MayaLT... it's $30 a month, even cheaper if you pay yearly. It's meant for indies.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.