[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many years would it take for someone to start off with modeling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

How many years would it take for someone to start off with modeling in zbrush for the first time and have a portfolio good enough for a AAA Industry job? If you spend at least an hour a day working at it. 2 years maybe?
>>
>>498696

Background info required.

Do you know anything about art? Color? form? proportions? anatomy? lighting? how polygons work?
>>
>>498696
That depends some get a job directly from their course.
>>
If you spend 1 miserable hour a day? Probably a decade. But once you know the basics and are confident enough to make your own shit without tutorials handholding you believe me you'll spend entire nights sculpting without noticing.

If you already know how to model using traditional methods it won't take long, sculpting really is a fun process compared to polymodeling. You'll only be limited by your imagination, but that's solved by making your own mental libraries.
>>
File: 7y65u6u.jpg (63KB, 532x732px) Image search: [Google]
7y65u6u.jpg
63KB, 532x732px
>>498698
>>498716
>>498736
Update OP here, So basically my background is in game design. Im about to get my bachelors in November but Im at the point now where I dont like programming so I feel like I wont ever be able to make a game unless I know that. I'm pretty good with level design. In fact I feel thats my strongest skill. Having an eye for how to place assets, etc. I dont like paying for assets and I hear most professional level designers are also environment artists and make their own assets. I have a decent understanding of 3d modeling. This is a pic of my first model I tried making a few days ago.
>>
>>498696
>at least an hour a day working at it

Such dedication! A whole hour a day! Seven hours a week! Or are you going to be exhausted and need weekends off? It won't take more than a month at that pace.

How long would it take a 90 pound high schooler to be good enough to play in the NFL if he practiced at least an hour a day?
>>
>>498802
>How long would it take a 90 pound high schooler to be good enough to play in the NFL if he practiced at least an hour a day?

Depends on how fat and/or black he is. I think if he spent that time turning either fat or black, he`d make it within a few years
>>
Not to be rude OP but I share some of Anon's worry. Game development is one of the most competitive fields out there. I'm unfortunately playing catch up at the moment, as I only decided on game design about 18 months ago. While I may be working on a business management degree, I spend every free second I have, learning a new skill, tool, or reading a new text-book. I've spent many a night modelling for 12+ hours. I've spent entire weeks during breaks learning within a variety of disciplines. Playing with different engines, writing and testing design docs with friends, playing with level design, testing simple games in public places, pushing my limits with my modeling skills, (trying)to learn sound design, reading literature, learning composition, anything that could ever be of assistance. While I may be a passenger in your boat, not being a fan of programming or scripting. I'll be jumping ship soon, diving into anything I can get my hands on. Every language you can learn, any morsel of information, is another tool you can use to create games for your players. These tools allow you to give the player the experience you first envisioned, and that is exactly your job. You are a creator, you are God within your creations, give it the attention god gave Earth.

No knowledge is worthless, and every bit will help you in such a vast multi-talented industry. As i have gone to different conventions, I've seen how devoted these people are to their work. You can see their love of the job illuminate the room. If you want to get anywhere, match that love and devotion. Work on your skills as much as possible. Your art is a part of you that you give away to others. It deserves more than an hour or two a day.
>>
>>498798
>I'm pretty good with level design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWvfMLl4ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

So, basically you have minimal artistic talent and don't enjoy programming, in your own words.

>I have a decent understanding of 3d modeling.
You have a bare minimum understanding of box modeling in Blender with admittedly as little experience as you could get away with, and have already said in so many words that you believe your future is in Unity-based projects where you can cut and paste royalty-free assets.

Going by this, you had better be the most brilliant concept designer alive if you expect to compete with everyone else, and expect mobile knockoffs of your first big hit inside of 6 months from release.

Or, perhaps, you should concentrate on learning the things you aren't good at until you are before asking when the money rolls in.
>>
>>498855
You clearly didn't read what I said. Holy fuck you put so many words in my mouth that are not even true. God you sound like a faggot.
>>
>>498696
Funny how you immediately mentioned zbrush, well, based on this you'll take a lifetime
>>
>>498798

wow that's a sick portfolio bro

i'm the president of nintendo do yo uwant to box model all of our franchise?

add me on skype: nintendo69
>>
>>498798

Hi OP,

An hour a day? Are you having a laugh?

You could maybe become a environmental artist if you put in 10-15 hours a day for the next two year.

Also, cut out the character art crap.

Get a simple prop from real life and model that say a violin, then make a jukebox e.t.c.

Also, unless you want to become a character artist just use mayalt, blender or modo.
>>
>>498859
There are lots of salty people in this board, >>498855 he's just one of the bunch who keeps projecting his insecurities on others.
>>
>>498899
What this guy said. Keep at it OP. Poor your heart into it.

Also nice dubdubs
>>
>>498899
>salty
fuck off back to tumblr you faggot
>>
>>498798
>about to get my bachelors in game design
>can't model/sculpt

I taught myself Maya inside and out in a year, working on zBrush / substance suite atm.
There are dozens of videos explaining in great detail what goes into creating all aspects of a game, and tutorials on how to do so in the most used game engines.

I can't code for shit either, but i constantly try to dissect code snippets and scripts i download from tutorials.
You may not be a programmer/coder, but you still need to understand how your engine works as a level designer, and be able to accommodate your programmers limitations.
>>
>>498696
if you want to start, just start it will take u whole life op to learn everything u need
>>
If you actually give a fuck and spend time learning, I'd say a year.
You just need to know what to learn most efficiently
>>
few years id say
>>
~3 years if you really dedicate yourself. Like on a "this is all i wanna do for the rest of my life" level.
Shit's hard, good luck tho.

>>499549
You helped a lot
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.