[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Blender so retarded?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: wtf.png (78KB, 267x1002px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
78KB, 267x1002px
Who thought it was a smart idea to make the material editor so idiotic?
Why is the option to add a texture to your material channels not readily available from the beginning?

Nevermind the fact you have to google where to find the material editor in the first place unless you want to click on every fucking button looking for it, versus any other 3D application where you will always find a clearly labeled menu related to materials and anything else, and some sort of right-click menu for adding a material directly to an object.

What's the fucking point of the top menu called "Window" if it doesn't actually list and open the various editors in Blender, like a material editor? There's only a few things under Window, whereas the things that should be there are for some stupid reason off to the left of the File menu, inside an icon that is usually associated with opening the INFO documentation in all other softwares... The amount of bad design decisions in this program is bonkers.
>>
>>497427

actually its very clever made material editor.
the UI of Blender is one of most advanced on the market. You need to get comfortable with it and you will love it.

if you want to have material collection instead to make your own just go with substance painter or substance designer.
>>
I guess you'll have to go through the source and unstupid all the features.

And if you're unwilling to do that, then you now understand why there are so many problems like this.
>>
>>497432
It's not clever at all, it's counter productive, especially to people learning the program. I don't want a material collection, I want it to not be organized idiotically. I have many years of experience with other 3D programs, materials are not foreign to me.

>>497433
Exactly. Blender is a mish-mash of mediocre coder's code, all with their own ideas of what they think is good from a programmers perspective instead of an artist's perspective. I want to kill myself just trying to navigate this POS. Every other 3D program I've learned has had things clearly do what you'd expect them to when clicking on a button, and has things in smart places that make them easy to find.. This is just.. wow.
>>
you have everything below the outliner

whats so difficult?
mind you cycles engine handles textures differently
>>
You'll get used to it fam, and then you'll say it's breddy gud.
>>
>>497440
>you have everything below the outliner
Where is the Add/Link texture button in the Diffuse channel, or any of the other channels? It's nowhere to be seen. Clicking on the color swatch only lets you change color, not link a texture. The majority of the time a person is going to want to link a texture, so it should be there by default.
>>
>>497443

No, textures are in the textures panel. Isn't that logical? It's just logical fam.
>>
>>497444
That's not logical at all. The material panel should show and let you change whatever is linked to the material, you shouldn't have to go back and forth between panels just for fucking texturing, that's hilarious bad. EVERY other 3D app lets you simply link from the material editor or attributes window for a material.
>>
>>497445
Calm down, aspie, you're wrong.
>>
>>497447
The only person who would like a program like this is an aspie, because everything about it goes against normal people's conventions.
>>
>>497448

god damn are you a fucking retard!
>>
I use Maya mainly but I have no issues with blender's Ui.
>>
>>497445
>>497443
Nigger have you ever used a node based material system? Your idiotic complaints can be applied to vray too.

>>497443
Wow. The button to link a texture is right next to the color one. Talk about retards.
>>
>>497427

Because it's freeware.
>>
>>497454
Yes I have, it's what I mainly use, but that doesn't excuse not having an option in the attributes of a material for adding a texture.

>The button to link a texture is right next to the color one. Talk about retards.
Did you even look at my fucking screenshot? There is no button beside the color swatch to link a texture.
>>
>>497427
>you have to google where to find the material editor
This would be obvious to anyone who has learned the basics of the blender UI. It's different, but posting this only proves that you haven't understood it yet
>>
>>497460
>This would be obvious to anyone who has learned the basics of the blender UI
I know it's obvious, but that makes it not a problem how? I'm pointing out one of that many reasons Blender is shite.

>but posting this only proves that you haven't understood it yet
No shit sherlock, of course I haven't learned the ins and outs of Blender fully yet. And at this point I don't really want to anymore because of all the idiotic design decisions I'm encountering. This is coming from someone who has learned and used Maya, Max, Softimage, Modo, Fusion360, and ZBrush extensively in my many years. The only one of those that would come close to the level of nonsense is 3DS Max, but even it at least has fairly clear labels and organization of things that make sense and don't require you to look up absolutely every single thing you'd like to do.
>>
>>497461
>No shit sherlock, of course I haven't learned the ins and outs of Blender fully yet.
And yet you feel qualified to evaluate the usefulness of the software.
>>
Materials between Blender Internal and Cycles is still retarded. No clue when it will get fixed.
>>
File: 18s04fkzrmdrpjpg.jpg (37KB, 240x360px) Image search: [Google]
18s04fkzrmdrpjpg.jpg
37KB, 240x360px
spent so much time on Blender. I regret it--should of started in Maya or Max.

Suffering through Blender for 2.5 years was almost worthless.

If anyone new is reading this, start with one of those and then branch out of Zbrush, imo.

Don't waste your time.
>>
>>497478

No time is wasted as long as you were producing work.
>>
>>497479

I agree, especially if you've committed years to it. But, if you're in the position of being a noob, don't hurt yourself in the long run.
>>
File: leaving.gif (2MB, 450x258px) Image search: [Google]
leaving.gif
2MB, 450x258px
I'm not sure if this is a shitpost troll attempt or if OP is really that dense.
>>
File: dasdre.png (27KB, 249x604px) Image search: [Google]
dasdre.png
27KB, 249x604px
>>497457
oh I thought you were talking about Cycles. Yeah Blender Internal is garbage, it hasn't been updated in years.
>>
File: 9763465767223234.png (172KB, 301x276px) Image search: [Google]
9763465767223234.png
172KB, 301x276px
>>497461
>This is coming from someone who has learned and used Maya, Max, Softimage, Modo, Fusion360, and ZBrush extensively in my many years

Why even touch Blender if you already know all those applications "extensively"? My guess is that you just made this thread and are now samefagging it to shit on Blender because you have some kind of inferiority complex. ;)
>>
never had a problem with the material editor, also i don't really use blender internal altho i still like its simplicity
>>
>>497486
blender internal is deprecated
>>
>>497487
>some kind of inferiority complex. ;)
What about Blender would warrant that? lmao. I'm learning it so I can actually discuss the differences to people and why they shouldn't use it if they're serious about 3D.

>>497486
That's stupid, because it's what shows up in the viewport by default, don't deprecate something if it's still the default. Are you saying they are literally abandoning the god damn rasterizer viewport for a firefly prone path-traced viewport? Both should be equally maintained. Constantly path-tracing while you just want to work on textures, poly modeling and UV editing is pointless.

>>497494
Then tell those idiots to make Cycles default if that's the case.
>>
>>497479
Time is absolutely wasted when it could have been spent becoming more proficient in a more efficient piece of software that allows to you get work done faster and opens up more options for you, both creation wise and career wise.
>>
I like how the primary argument for blender's UI is that you'll eventually get stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>497499
No amount of denial will make your inferiority complex any less true. You're the one who's wasting his time making this thread and trying to change everybody's mind to stop using Blender because you don't like it.
>>
>>497501

Just like Zbrush.

I love the program and it's literally the only choice if you're serious about sculpting, but the UI can go eat a bag of dicks. Yet people will defend the UI for some reason I will never understand.
>>
>>497513
You got it reversed. Nobody tries to stop you from using Blender, its Blender trying to stop us (Blender-)beginners from using it, by beeing retarded and overly complex when it doesn't have to be.
I'd be grateful if Blender would be better, because then i would actually be able to use it.
As of now, i am looking into it, but i'll stay with Maya and Cinema.
>>
>>497494

No it's not. It's still actively maintained, and there are projects aimed at improving it.

>>497499

Cycles is the default these days. Nuke your config and look at the top - it says "Cycles Render"
>>
>>497536

Actually, scratch that, I thought they changed the default in 2.73, but apparently not.

I'm not sure why.
>>
OP is one of these individuals who're more busy shitting on programs than being actually creative and productive. What a sad fuck.
>>
Use nodes.
>>
>>497427
> I HAD TO LEARN SOMETHING AND MY BUTT IS ALL HURT NOW
> THERE IS SUCH A THING AS UNIVERSALLY INTUITIVE WITH 3D MODELING APPLICATIONS, IT JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE SOFTWARE I'M ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH
> FEEL SORRY FOR ME

Millennials, everyone!
>>
>>497514

Zbrush's UI is fine, I can find what I need to without getting lost.

Also, ZBrush's method of navigation makes it easier for me to work on the tablet with it, where it's only the alt+pen whereas other programs requires you to set up extra keys.
>>
>>497565
Shouldn't have to open up the node editor just to take a look at your model and texture. It's inefficient.

>>497574
>doesn't read the part where I say I've learned basically all the popular 3D softwares over the years, it's not just which one I'm "comfortable" with. crymore.

>Millennials, everyone!
What, are you 14? Don't let mommy find out you're on this big boy website!
>>
>>497586
Holy shit pal stop whining.
>>
File: jimhalpert.jpg (139KB, 600x796px) Image search: [Google]
jimhalpert.jpg
139KB, 600x796px
>>497603
>>
>>497427

Mayafag here that's just started learning blender here and I have to say I like the blender UI.

I think there must be something wrong with me.

Don't enjoy those hand breaking hotkeys however.
>>
>>497582

Tell me how you save your work step by step.
>>
I like to compare 3D tools to musical instruments :
Music theory is the same across most instruments, but how you play is not.
3D/2D work like that, even if two software do mostly the same thing, how you do stuff with it change between them.
Same with music, a guitar and a synth can produce the same songs, but one is a string based-intrument, the other is a piano.
You can't say that a software is bad because it not a carbon copy of 3ds/maya
It like saying "Dont play guitar because it's bad" and justifying with "It's not like the violin".

Also, Blender 2.4 is the worst thing ever created UI wise, I almost puked last time i looked back at it, but they improved so much upon it already.
>>
>>497619
Tool>Save Tool. Done.
Unless you want to save your whole project and not just the tool/object. Then it's simply File>Save, like any other program.
>>
>>497624

Both of which pop up save-as dialogues.

Why can't I have a single button/keystroke save? Because fucking Zbrush.

That is bad design as it adds more clicks.
>>
>>497427
I think other anons have made you aware of the fact that it is YOU who is idiotic.
You launched yourself into a rage, without understanding what is is you are supposed to be doing . .. . it's just like jumping into a car after a motorcycle and complaining that you can't change gear by using your foot!

There must be a reason why you started to use Blender in the first place, maybe your student licence expired or maybe you can't get a cracked version of an Autodesk product, either way, you can get used to Blender being different or spend $4,000 on your favourite fan-boy software.

Deal with it kid!
>>
>>497427
>Why is Blender so retarded?
You pay what you get.
>>
>hey guys, why doesn't this feature work the way i want it
>this software sucks
>lol freetards pushing their agendas

is this the quality we've come to expect from this board?
>>
>>497626
>Why can't I have a single button/keystroke save? Because fucking Zbrush.
You can, it's the fucking Quicksave button that's right there at the top of your UI in plain sight.

>That is bad design as it adds more clicks.
How the fuck do you propose you name your file?
>>
>>497668
Except that is a valid point when it comes to software usability...
actually every fucking thing ever made has a set logic to it that pretty much we all agreed that it worked well and kept with it. Except blender, fuck blenders ui.

You don't reinvent the wheel just change the fucking rim.
>>
>>497622
>You can't say that a software is bad because it not a carbon copy of 3ds/maya
No, but I can say that it's bad because it's missing strings and isn't tuned properly. It could be an instrument, but in its current state it's not.

>>497629
>into a rage
lmao, m8 this isn't rage, it's just be laughing and getting a rise.

>There must be a reason why you started to use Blender in the first place, maybe your student licence expired or maybe you can't get a cracked version of an Autodesk product, either way, you can get used to Blender being different or spend $4,000 on your favourite fan-boy software.
The reason was to get insight into this PoS software, that's it. I own ZBrush, Maya, Substance, Quixel, Max and Modo, because I actually work in this industry and can afford to pay these great programmers for their hard work, no fanboyism there at all, but keep thinking that's the only reason people use other software, kid.
>>
>>497671
It's not valid when it's retarded troll posting. The only thing OP is right about is that Cycles should be the default renderer on the default startup.blend

But then again, you shouldn't be using the default startup blend anyway, you should make your own with the UI setup the way you like it, render settings to something generally usable for you, a three point lighting system (on a different layer of course), maybe an HDRI or at least the unplugged nodes pointing in the directory of your HDRIs, some common materials you're going to use a lot (such as glossy + diffuse + fresnel mix, custom glass if you have one, etc) and probably a shaderball

I mean, it sounds like OP starts every Blender session by deleting the default cube and setting the renderer to Cycles.
You don't have to live your life that way.
>>
>>497672
Show us some of your work, Mr. Industry Standard.
>>
Is there any way to quickly and easily draft spline shapes in blender like in 3ds max? As far as I can see, the bezier spline editing refuses to snap the control points to 90 degree angles, so my 'straight' lines are wobbly, and there are no prefab shapes.
>>
>>497615

Try emacs sometime.

RMS-sponsored RSI.
>>
I've recently started working with Blender. Since I have a Wacom tablet, things are somewhat easier. Except for fucking textures. I fucking hate texturing

>Go to find unwrap tool
>Unwrap is in UV Menu
>Can't fucking find UV Menu
>UV Menu arbitrarily in its own category

The worst part is that I've read everything on it, but since 2.5 they've been updating Blender so fast that the tutorials are about as fucking useless as a rock in the open ocean. That means I still haven't fully figured it out after weeks of trying. I just want to export the faces and use Photoshop or SAI to edit the .tga file.
>>
>>497672
>I own ZBrush, Maya, Substance, Quixel, Max and Modo. . . . . . .and can afford to pay!
Yes sure you do.

>I actually work in this industry
Oh for crying out loud kid .. .who are you trying to fool? You are an idiot try to pretend you are somebody worth listening to - on an anonymous Chinese cartoon site!
>>
>>497705

>Try emacs sometime.

I'll pass thanks, I'm already in the early stages of carpel tunnel :(
>>
>>497751

>carpel

Carpal even
>>
File: 057.gif (384KB, 496x279px) Image search: [Google]
057.gif
384KB, 496x279px
>>497427
you are in your learning stages man

don't be so grumpy
>>
>>498444
Nah bruh, in the comparing Blender to the many other 3D software I've already learned stages.
>>
>>498447

Textures go into the textures tab you fucking morron. Even if there was a a select button in the materials menu for textures you would have to go to the textures tab to adjust your textures anyway.

>pls dumb down/"streamline" the program so idiots like can use it too giving everyone else less controllability

Maybe they should really add a function in the installer asking you to select either "I am an idiot" or "I wan full features"
>>
File: maya_master_race.webm (552KB, 736x670px) Image search: [Google]
maya_master_race.webm
552KB, 736x670px
>>498452
>Textures go into the textures tab you fucking morron. Even if there was a a select button in the materials menu for textures you would have to go to the textures tab to adjust your textures anyway.
>pls dumb down/"streamline" the program so idiots like can use it too giving everyone else less controllability

I didn't say "get rid of the fucking textures tab", you dunce, I'm simply pointing out missing functionality.
Materials and textures are tightly knit components of CG, so the property panels for them should work in conjunction. If you added a button there to link a texture, like every other fucking 3D software, it would just make that same button a link to the texture, so when you clicked it, you'd automatically be brought to the texture properties. It's called intelligent and efficient UI design, there's nothing "dumb down" about that.

Example in webm.
>>
>>498457
Stop using blender internal it is deprecated
>>
OP still hasn't show us his work. It must be I impressive considering he has 100 years of experience using 30 3D applications
>>
>>497686
Defaults matter, dude.
You're talking from the position of someone who has used the software for years(?) and knows his way around it.
Everyone else has never used the software before and needs a point of reference.

So they go on youtube where people upload videos on how Blender works. Now, if Blender users were really as you say they were, every single video would have its own UI setup. And some do. Most use (or should use) the default.

Why? Because Blender's UI is unintuitive, and the more barriers you add to understanding, the harder it is to reel in the poor sucker that decided to try your program.

Fact is, designing your program so that the default settings is what 90% of people use should be a design goal for any successful application. Because nobody wants to modify their setup. It makes it harder to work with others, and some people just want to get in and start working and not have to deal with ricing their fucking toolkit.
>>
>>498944

Blender's defaults are fine. I don't know what >>497686 is talking about.

Yes, you will customize them as you get used to Blender. Those customizations are unnecessary to use the program, and are specific to you.

For instance, my startup sets measurements to imperial, renderer to Cycles, sets an HDRI image that works for the kind of stuff I do, changes a few of the render settings to my liking, and adds some brushes. I'm pretty confident that any experienced user would use a different setup, but it works for me.

If you find Blender unintuitive and clunky, then it's probably not for you.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.