[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey All, I'm very new to 3DS max, but am learning a lot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: wheel treads.jpg (94KB, 1457x779px) Image search: [Google]
wheel treads.jpg
94KB, 1457x779px
Hey All,

I'm very new to 3DS max, but am learning a lot of necessary stuff through tutorials online. I was able to create the start of a wheel rim / tire (shown in this picture); however, cannot seem to get the rim to look chrome.

What i've tried so far:

Add a standard material with a diffuse color of black (R:0,G:0,B:0) and change the specular level to 90 and glossiness to 80. Went to material/map browser rollout, maps roll out, standard and chose Raytrace and dragged this Raytrace map to the reflection input socket of my standard chrome material. This i got from my 3ds max 2015 essentials book and did work on the exercise but not this rim model.

Could it be because the Rim is just a linear plane right now? There is essentially 0 thickness to the rim design. If i was to fix this would one way be adding thickness? Also it looks like i 'converted to editable poly' way too many times on this rim, and when i try to edit it, it is nearly impossible due to how many vertexs / edges there now are. Is there a way to 'undo' a convert to editable poly?

Thanks!!!! Would greatly appreciate any help.
>>
Google chrome rims.

what makes chrome look chrome? The reflections. Your rims don't reflect anything.
>>
>>495203
>There is essentially 0 thickness to the rim design.
Thickness is irrelevant.
> Also it looks like i 'converted to editable poly' way too many times on this rim, and when i try to edit it, it is nearly impossible due to how many vertexs / edges there now are. Is there a way to 'undo' a convert to editable poly?
You've fucked up.
>>
>>495208
>>495209

if thickness is irrelevant and the rim needs to reflect, how do i make reflect-able? Ty
>>
>>495210
Increase the specularity.
>>
>>495213

increased to 999, still nothing :/
>>
File: chromerimrender.jpg (114KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
chromerimrender.jpg
114KB, 640x480px
>>495213
>>495216

lowering the glossiness worked. obviously still looks like shit as i am i a newfag. What exactly does changing the specular / glossiness levels do?
>>
>>495217
specular describe how reflective the surface is, as in how much light is returned back in the angle of the light source.
glossiness regulate at how wide an angle to the lightsource causes a specular highlight to occur.

These are simplified and effectice classical approximations of how light behaves in CGI (blinn/phong shading models) and not to be understood as physically accurate descriptions.
>>
>>495258
So specular = intensity of highlight.
Gloss = tightness of highlight.
>>
>>495259

You can see this live in the material editor as you adjust the values.
>>
File: spec_vs_gloss.jpg (609KB, 1007x924px) Image search: [Google]
spec_vs_gloss.jpg
609KB, 1007x924px
>>495259
>>
>>495288
v good. any other pics like that
>>
>>495288
there is no "specular" and "gloss", only reflection and roughness. This is almost 2016 kiddie
>>
>>495560
> fighting over terminology
you are gey
>>
>>495561
I'm telling you what the PBR system is and what its terms are, kid. The terms are very clear - roughness and reflection.
>>
>>495564
> What are synonyms.
Do you think specular and gloss mean something else ?
>>
>>495572
nobody knows what those terms mean. if it was synonymous it would be gloss and matte
>>
>>495560
Actually there is specular and gloss. This is 3D not real life you retard. You can still (effectively) use spec and gloss in pbr rendering. Take your rules and go fuck yourself you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1364920273668.jpg (52KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1364920273668.jpg
52KB, 500x380px
>>495560
>>495564
why waste your time shitposting when you could just make more 3D stuff?
>>
>>495288
>>495261
>>495259
>>495258

OP here thanks for the help / insight
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.