[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is most of the lighting in UE4 realistic levels/demos baked?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (88KB, 635x575px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 635x575px
>>
>>495073
no
>>
I don't know.
>>
Could you repeat the question?
>>
Ofcourse, UE4 doesn't have dynamic global illumination yet.
>>
>>495084
it does, vxgi
>>
>>495089
It used to. But not any more.

I want to get off of Mr. Lightmass's wild ride.
>>
>>495114
huh? it's still there
>>
>>495073
pretty much all of the super realistic arch-viz UE4 shit is using baked lighting. UE4 lightmass can achieve very high quality these days, and most problems that lightmaps had are gone. no dynamic lighting solution comes close in terms of quality.

the reason you don't see baked lighting as much anymore is because of the current MUH OPEN WORLD fad which forces you to use dynamic lights only. older linear games (bioshock, half life etc.) could and have used baked lighting extensively, since you don't need the big lights (the sun) to change inside the level. small lights can still be used as dynamic lights.

i should note that the official UE4 demos from epic are mostly dynamic/static hybrids to achieve high quality as well as some degree of versatility. some are entirely dynamic (and are very graphically intensive)
>>
>>495130
Are you sure? All I remember about it is /v/ and /3/ making a big fuss about it being removed and replaced with Lightmass.
>>
>>495159

>small lights can still be used as dynamic lights.

I think even small lights use baked lightmaps, they use both dynamic light and baked light at the same time. You can apply the settings so static objects get baked lightmaps (and they dont get lit dynamically or else they would get lit two times and get overexposed) and movable/physical interactive probs are dynamically lit. But maybe they didnt have this technology in Bioshock.
>>
>>495162
that was svogi

vxgi is nvidias
>>
>>495168
>bioshock didn't have the technology for baked lights

Hammer (half life 1) had light baking. It's not new tech.
>>
>>495172
Oh shit you're right. I got them mixed up.

But still, are you positive they still have VXGI?
>>
>>495186
it's on nvidias ue4 github
>>
>>495168
>>495175
john carmack was the first to use lightmaps in 1996 when creating quake. bioshock was made on a modified unreal engine which also has lightmaps.

lightmaps have been used in almost every game up until GPU's were finally fast enough to render realtime dynamic environments. unfortunately many people have forgotten just how much lightmaps have progressed since, now that much more computing power is available.
those ue4 arch-viz demos are doing a good job of showing what level of quality you can achieve if you decide to make a linear game.

>>495162
SVOGI was killed, but there's a work in progress feature called 'lighting propagation volumes' that can simulate realtime GI. but as with all other realtime GI solutions, it lags like a motherfucker even on high-end GPU's.
>>
>>495265
>there's a work in progress feature called 'lighting propagation volumes' that can simulate realtime GI. but as with all other realtime GI solutions, it lags like a motherfucker even on high-end GPU's.
Wut? Crysis 2 had that over 4 years ago, and it ran fine on a 6870.
>>
>>496056
>6870
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.