[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiring a complete fraud in 3d modeling, help!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

File: bad3dmodel.jpg (10KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
bad3dmodel.jpg
10KB, 256x256px
A friend of my boss asked him to hire his son to work as a 3d modeler, thinking he's very talented and passionate.
However, after checking his portfolio, we found that his son has been bullshitting talents and skills he doesn't have at all by plagiarizing other people's works, even very simple and mundane things, if you knew the whole story but it's TL;DR, you can tell he doesn't know anything at all, except some gibberish "alien characters" he did with Sculptris, all else is smoke and mirrors.
However, my boss still wants to give him a chance to redeem himself and save his dad from the sad truth, convinced that even incompetent people, under the right conditions and with the right attitude, can turn from rough stone to diamond, so I've been asked to find him something to do that apparently looks complex but it's simple and viceversa, to test his attitude, see which one he chooses to do first and check if he gives up.
The problem is, what kind of tasks have these characteristics? I've been thinking for a long time and can't find anything that fits, I've already told my opinion that with 3D you can already tell by looking at it if it's complex or not (ie. a renaissance cathedral), but he insists I find something creative. What would you suggest? Any particular excercises to stress test him?
I know it can't be trusted, but boss decided so.
>>
File: nissan-skyline-gtr-r34-v-spec-ii.jpg (578KB, 1250x627px) Image search: [Google]
nissan-skyline-gtr-r34-v-spec-ii.jpg
578KB, 1250x627px
probably a car
>>
Just test him on basic workflows/topology, ask him to model a teapot from scratch. Pretty damn easy if you know what you're doing, pretty fucking hard otherwise.
But really, what does his dad hope to happen? If he can't do what is needed he isn't employable. attitude doesn't mean shit if you simply cannot do the job.
>>
File: image.jpg (188KB, 1988x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188KB, 1988x1200px
Get him to do the human body op. The human body has always been and always wil be a test of an artist skill. Tell him not to use pretenders models from poser/etc and start from scratch and show procedural progression of his work.
>>
>>487923
Some organically shaped mechanical surface of a existing object where he have to invent a topology on the fly should suffice. A Toilet seat comes to mind, since I taught one of my friends basic 3D and he opted to make his own bathroom as a practice piece.
>>
>>487923
I'm just going to tell you that usually you'll do an art test before hiring someone.

It can be one up to four or five just to see if you can work quickly and good.

Now this model. He's block out the basic's however he'll need to detail it.
>>
OP,

Maybe you can get him to do basic props. If he is truly crap you would need at best 3 months to get him to decent level of prop modelling.
>>
>>487923
>find him something to do that apparently looks complex but it's simple
a flying saucer with the company logo on it.

it's simple and should take him less than an hour at best.
>>
whats his skill level? post a true render he made and not a stolen one
>>
Don't help a peice of shit like him. Get him fired and teach that little cunt a lesson. Kids need to learn the hard way, I can't stand people taking credit for others work
>>
>>487923
> My boss is a kindly retard who thinks other people should humor his shitty ideas instead of getting burned himself

Tell him you have concerns about your future employment if he's willing to dump fools' errands on you. If he's that optimistic he can hold this lying sack of shit's cock himself.
>>
>>487923
Well considering you came to 4CHAN for advice on your "Business" I think you are fucked either way.
>>
>>487923
>and save his dad from the sad truth

Don't. Your boss is literally asking you to groom a morally weak child at his own expense and your time. His friendship with this assclown and his son is his problem, not his employees'.
>>
Op here.
>>487924
Good suggestion, a car looks discouragingly complex to do but it's actually easy, it mostly require time and patience.
>>487925
I like the teapot idea, simple only if you know what you're doing.
>>487926
Imo, even better it's a minimalistic adorable character, kinda like a minion (btw, I hate them), simple designs sometimes are the most complex thing to do, amateurs always fail and make them look disturbingly uncanny.
>>487953
Sorry, but you never know who else is reading this thread.
>>487967 >>487978 >>487986
I assure you I totally agree with you that I should not help that kid at all, he's making me rage so much that my floor turned into lava, I've already showed my boss undisputable evidence how much a bullshitter and failure that kid is, he doesn't have doubts about it, however, I suspect that deep down, the reason he wants to help him anyway, is that he expects his much richer friend who owns a bigger company to return the favor someday when he needs it.
>>
File: OP's Shitty Fucking Joke.png (144KB, 685x503px) Image search: [Google]
OP's Shitty Fucking Joke.png
144KB, 685x503px
>>488027
This is going to blow up in someones face anyway.

Boss will be like
>shit kid make a Mercedes with interior

Shit kid will say
>Hurr durr here's muh model
>>
>>488049
wheres the character?
how am I supposed to know the scaling?
>>
>>488050
47 inch rims
Look at those lines
>>
>>488027
>he expects his much richer friend who owns a bigger company to return the favor someday when he needs it.
then ask him what your cut of that future cashout is or he can suck his retard friend's son's greasy cock himself
>>
>>487926
human anatomy is something even veteran modelers cant grasp, it takes decades to master and should be considered a field of its own

>>487924
this guy is right
basic poly modeling in the form of a car or a plane is the best way to test someone, topology is easy to read and you can see what he can do and how he handles problem solving

im assuming this 3d modeling gig dosnt include rendering and animating, but even if setting up a render for a car model should be simple enogh
>>
>>487923
a decent test is tell him to make you a tree
>>
how bad is the kid?
>>
>>487923
please post his portfolio
>>
>>488050
Note the teapot, it's obviously a pretty big model car
>>
>>487923
I don't know much about moddeling. But maybe making a donut would be the right task for him?
>>
>>488249
Uh, all he would have to do would be to select the donut primitive in Maya then texture it shittily.
>>
>>488164
this
>>
>>488558
Sounds right up his alley
>>
>>488164
this
>>
>>488164
do it OP
>>
>>488164
Post his portfolio OP
>>
>>488164
He can't, you know
>>
>>488822
fuck his folio, post something he whipped for commission
>>
give us an example of his work. ANYTHING
>>
Op why would you make this thread and not post his folio?

wait a few days and make a random shitpost about lolz guys look at this horrible portfolio and dont mention its related to this. on some other thread.
>>
make him model a hand, head, and a car with good topology. Then UV it

>this should stress test him
>>
File: shit.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>488249
I was bored so made a donut. Will OP's boss hire me?
>>
>>489223
why so hi-res, is this a hero doughnut??
>>
File: ship_large.jpg (62KB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
ship_large.jpg
62KB, 500x391px
If he's passionate about it, than for fuck's sake give him a chance and give him more fire, motivate him as a mentor! So what if he's incompetent, everyone is until learned or did you just want to throw his life away just like that? As a professional 3D artist, your boss now gave you a new job, a job to teach that sad clueless little man, so TEACH HIM! He's been just dreaming about aliens and spacerafts? Then teach him in that direction, don't be a lazy good-for-nothing teacher! And if he's been plagiarizing, you need to teach him is some prime/standard manners, honesty and credit towards other people, even though it's a bad thing he did, you could conclude that he showed at least some interest to this profession! Here's your chance to bestow your skills to live on thru younger generations, all you'll have to concentrate on is to be patient towards him and above all, don't make him lose hope and give up!!!
I always wanted to get a mentor for this, hell I'd even kill for a chance to be tutored, but there's simply no help to get anywhere.
That kid has a chance.
You have the key.
Make it happen!
>>
>>490605
no help to get anywhere? there are a lot of different websites and forums that will 'tutor' you, make an account on polycount and post some work, ask for help in areas you suck in, post your work here, you will get some pretty honest answers. also your post is implying that op is skilled enough/talented enough/has enough time to take some rich brat under his wing.. why the fuck would anyone want to waste their time on someone like the kid in op's description anyway, stealing work and lying, using your fathers business connections and influence to get you a job that LOTS of other people who actually work hard and have the skill who would kill to get the job and would bust their asses off if they got the chance.
>>
>>490607
Wow, thanks for that man, I'l check it out and do my best, currently I just started working in blender, see how far it will take me. (pic related, I followed a tutorial on youtube but the guy had a version slightly older, which made me unable to finish this teacup as blender was unable to find the circle for beveling objects)
But yeah I was defending that kid because he sounds as desperate as me to get a job like this, yes stealing is wrong and it deserves some discipline but he did show some interest by making a dark risk. Also I don't know how talented op is to be able to teach, but he did sound talented enough and if he has to spend his time in job to teach a kid instead of doing some actual work, then why not. As cringy as it sounds we should help one another, besides if he's going to be his coworker he better be prepared. You're right to be concerned for other hard working people, but it's debatable - especially here where this boss has to chose between his friend's piece-of-shit-good-for-nothing-lousy-working son or other hard working artists. But in the end, the kid can still be fired if he'll continue being lousy.
>>
File: omg.png (219KB, 1271x988px) Image search: [Google]
omg.png
219KB, 1271x988px
>>490957
forgot pic
>>
Don't test him. Bury him under responsibility and hold him accountable. He'll either rise to the occasion or fuck up.
>>
>>490958
The circle must be a curve too (alt+C to convert). I use this feature all the time.
>>
>>490957
>>But yeah I was defending that kid because he sounds as desperate as me to get a job like this

how desperate are you to get a job doing 3d, what applications do you know, do you practice any of these skillsets , or does it just seem like an awesome job where you sit around and make videogame art? because it's not all fun and games, it's ridiculously competitive and requires a shit ton of personal time and hardwork
>>
>>491004
I know I realize it can be frustraiting, but I've always wanted to learn this stuff and never had the chance, now I'm practicing daily wherever I can find some good tutorials, too bad all these free stuff we have on the internet nowdays haven't been available years ago
>>
File: lol.png (446KB, 1275x838px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
446KB, 1275x838px
>>490977
Hey, that did the trick!
But the next thing I was suppose to do is to change the resolution of the circle to 1 until it becomes a shape with 4 edges, I followed the steps and looked if I have the same preferences but to no avail.
Pic related - it's how its suppose to look but my handle is still round
>>
File: awesome3.png (759KB, 2548x1024px) Image search: [Google]
awesome3.png
759KB, 2548x1024px
>>491147
Welp nevermind that, I continued without that, it was more work but it was worth it.
I can't believe how fun this is, even though the end results are shit, could have moved the handle a little bit but wasn't sure about the placement, it still made me happy that I made it whole.
Comparison, mine is on the left.
>>
File: teacup_fast-way.png (475KB, 875x2500px) Image search: [Google]
teacup_fast-way.png
475KB, 875x2500px
>>491155
That is painfully tedious way to model a teacup handle. I don't see why would anyone do it that way unless learning how to use curves.

I made a small explanation how to model the handle in few basic steps.

By the way, I suggest learning basics of polymodelling first. Nurbs especially in blender, are not popular or suggested way to do basically anything.
>>
>>491147
>>491155
Like this guy >>491164 said use polymodelling for the most part of everything you do. Curves can be used to make wiring, springs or stuff like that.
>>
I sometimes wish the people he plagiarized from would have their demos or something laying around, and go "oh hmm, why does this look familiar?..."
>>
>>487925
though it might be a bit much to ask him to do the interior too...(lord knows I would do anything I could to avoid needing to do that...)
>>
>>488102
yeah, there's a reason I don't do characters...
>>
>>488249
well...the doughnut could be a test of his texturing ability...
>>
>>488072
this right here. if this is a business thing, which is what it looks like at this point, it would be fucked up if you didnt get anything out of it
>>
>>487924
Not good. He can always rip the car model off the internet and change it a bit.
Actually, if he manage to satisfy his boss by ripping off and mirror-smoking, he´s actually a competent professional.
In all, he will be considered a 'fake' if he can´t pull off his job right, and thats only can be tested after months of work.
>>
>>493674
i thought actual studios test their artists before they hire them
>>
>>493678
i mean "real time" like the artist has to actual sit down in front of someone and model something
>>
Chess pieces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjHoftBndQ
>>
>>489014
>>488976

Yes, please do this.
>>
>>487923
Who did he try to copy, OP?

You can't post his folio, but at least tell us who he stole his shit from.
>>
>>488051
Crazy rubber band tires right? ha
>>
File: at_at.png (128KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
at_at.png
128KB, 300x400px
something like this?
ask for progress too
that wont let him steal someone else's work
>>
>>494967

It has been almost a month and a half since OP posted this.
>>
>>494969
damn this board is slow
>>
>>494970
/3/ is like a river of shit.

It moves slowly, but it's still just all shit. All the time. And occasionally you spot pieces of shit covered corn like slocik and other namefags. Worthless 0-nutrition pieces of undigested shit.
>>
>>494974
You're limiting that description to /3/?
>>
>>487952
That could be done in 20 minutes, even by an semi amateur
>>
>>487923

Your boss's friend is probably some fool that never actually touched a computer before and would be impressed by the action of buying something online.

Why are you teaching a plaguer the trade again? I mean, I know it's your job, but are you starved of modelers in the area to the point that you /need/ him?
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.