[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 27

File: a crow.jpg (20KB, 460x326px) Image search: [Google]
a crow.jpg
20KB, 460x326px
Do Crows have any paranormal significance?
>>
Yes. Why ?
>>
Personally I believe they bring good luck.
>>
File: 1268414659106.png (142KB, 515x341px) Image search: [Google]
1268414659106.png
142KB, 515x341px
Yes
Probably
>>
File: another crow.jpg (31KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
another crow.jpg
31KB, 615x409px
I don't know what it is about them. It's not just that they are beady-eyed spoopy black birds. They seem aware. I know they are intelligent. But it's something else.
>>
File: _81210316_gifts-purple-624[1].jpg (68KB, 624x400px) Image search: [Google]
_81210316_gifts-purple-624[1].jpg
68KB, 624x400px
Crows have language, culture, remember faces down generational lines and occasionally visit their families.

They have a brain body ration similar to humans and are probably powerful friends to have if you can manage it.

Pic related, gifts from crows to a girl that feeds them. They also look after her and her family and will retrieve lost items for them.
>>
When a crow lands on my right side, I've made a good decision recently

When one lands on my left it is usually coinciding with further bad luck
>>
Did my post get deleted?
>>
File: Sacred_chao5.jpg (8KB, 180x178px) Image search: [Google]
Sacred_chao5.jpg
8KB, 180x178px
Yes. Why?
>>
>>17313710
They even have their own family language. There is a kind of intellect slumbering in them, there is no doubt: they are strange.

>>17313746
Child of Eris, please tell me about the ways of the Discordian Crow.
>>
They're associated with the dark arts.
They have a lot of symbolism connected with them too.
>>
>>17313746
>>17313711

I feel connected to them in a semi-autistic sort of way. That's all.

If I were a nut I'd say they are god's messengers sent to keep an eye on certain people.
>>
>>17313751
>dark arts

says who?
>>
File: ChaoTeChing1.jpg (20KB, 400x296px) Image search: [Google]
ChaoTeChing1.jpg
20KB, 400x296px
>>17313750
>Child of Eris, please tell me about the ways of the Discordian Crow.

The crow is a black bird, black has 5 letters and is the coolest color.
>>
>>17313782
this is why you dont ask discordians anything.
>>
>>17313782
Blessed be thee, pope.

>>17313783
No, this is how one can tell you are not familiar with zen koans. It was a perfectly fine answer. But a bad one.
>>
>>17313772
Anyone who's ever practiced dark arts.
>>
>>17313820
bullshit, cite something.
>>
Yes they do, crow is knows as the ride of Saturn, in mythology lord saturn rides on a crow and feeding crow is considered very beneficial and provides positive affects of Saturn.
>>
>>17313814
>you are not familiar with zen koans
thats not a zen koan, its not even a good discordian koan, dont try to big yourself up.
>>
>>17313824
Do you not know anything about folklore?
Morrighan from Celtic mythology. In most societies crows and ravens are seen as omens of death and famine. It was believed that witches could even transform into crows.

How little to do you actually know about this shit?
>>
>>17313836
theyre associated with magic you tool, not specifically the "dark arts" tehyre synonymous with wisdom, hidden knowledge, and foresight. Which is why they were seen as omens, they have foresight, and being magical icons of foresight, cunning and wisdom they were often seen with mythological characters exhibiting these traits, Morrighan, being one. How little do YOU know about this shit?
>>
I am a crow
>>
>>17313848
Quite a lot more than you do evidently.
Because everything you just said was false.
>>
>>17314006
fucken casual
>>
>>17314006
none of it was false, show me where Im incorrect. Just because YOU associate it with dark magic because you dont know shit doesnt mean its true.
"oooh witches turn into crows and morrighan had one therefore dark magic!"

This isnt harry potter retard.
>>
>>17314097
The biggest point is that no folklore ever used them as an omen for anything good, ever. Your only 'evidence' is a baseless claim.
Jesus fuck, you're retarded.
>>
>>17314232
>The biggest point is that no folklore ever used them as an omen for anything good, ever.

Not him, but jumping in to proclaim you're retarded as fuck, because even a simple Google search would prove you wrong. Here's a freebie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_depictions_of_ravens

And yes, I know the difference between ravens and crows, but most cultures don't make a distinction between the two of them, using the two words interchangeably.
>>
>>17314265
Good job looking like a moron. If you actually want to prove me wrong you should read what you link. None of those stories had them linked to anything good.
>>
>>17314265
>the raven has long been considered a bird of ill omen and of interest to creators of myths and legends.

Right from your link bro.
>>
>>17314276
>>17314281

You just skimmed, didn't you?

>Greco-Roman antiquity
>In Greek mythology, ravens are associated with Apollo, the god of prophecy. They are said to be a symbol of good luck, and were the god's messengers in the mortal world.

>Insular Celtic traditions
>According to legend, the Kingdom of England will fall if the ravens of the Tower of London are removed. It had been thought that there have been at least six ravens in residence at the tower for centuries. It was said that Charles II ordered their removal following complaints from John Flamsteed, the Royal Astronomer. However, they were not removed because Charles was then told of the legend. Charles, following the time of the English Civil War, superstition or not, was not prepared to take the chance, and instead had the observatory moved to Greenwich.

>Natives of the North American Pacific Northwest
>The raven also has a prominent role in the mythologies of the Indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast, including the Tsimishians, Haidas, Heiltsuks, Tlingits, Kwakwaka'wakw, Coast Salish, Koyukons, and Inuit. The raven in these indigenous peoples' mythology is the Creator of the world, but it is also considered a trickster god.

>Siberia, Northern Asia
>The raven god or spirit Kutcha (or Kutkh, (Кyтх)) is important in the shamanic tradition of the Koryaks and other indigenous Chukotko-Kamchatkan peoples of the Russian Far East.

Kutcha is traditionally revered in various forms by various peoples and appears in many legends: as a key figure in creation, as a fertile ancestor of mankind, as a mighty shaman and as a trickster
>>
>>17314294
>first one is the only one where they're associated with anything that's not overtly bad, still in any later folklore of the area they're always a bad sign

>second one
>yo, once we leave England is FUCKED.
Real great omen there.

>third created the world
>is a fucking asshole

>fourth, created the world
>is reveared for black magic and being an asshole

You're making this too easy.
>>
File: 1405475241908.jpg (379KB, 765x990px) Image search: [Google]
1405475241908.jpg
379KB, 765x990px
>>17314232
>no folklore ever used them as an omen for anything good, ever.

>In Greek mythology, ravens are associated with Apollo, the god of prophecy. They are said to be a symbol of good luck, and were the god's messengers in the mortal world.

>>17314334
>b-b-but some of them were associated with less than good things, bro! your entire argument is invalid!

Get fucked. It's pointless to argue any further with someone this deliberately obtuse.
>>
File: CrowRaven.jpg (136KB, 905x1180px) Image search: [Google]
CrowRaven.jpg
136KB, 905x1180px
>>17314265
>And yes, I know the difference between ravens and crows, but most cultures don't make a distinction between the two of them, using the two words interchangeably.

You're just being lazy, the two birds are very different. The Tower of London with crows(!) in it would be trashy. Odin didn't have a pair of crows, that'd make no sense -- the fact ravens eat the eyes out of the war dead was a big part of the story. The two birds are easy to tell apart, people in the past could tell one from another -- see pic.

Crows are dirty trash birds that travel in flocks ( murders ) and hassle other smaller birds and eat garbage.

Ravens are solitary birds, much bigger than crows, trainable, and carrion fowl.
>>
>>17314352
>my one source of folklore that came way before most styles of dark arts were even around discounts the fact that crows are associated with the dark arts

You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>17314232
SHITLOADS of folklore use them for good things, theyre also used for bad things. They are a neutral force representing the mysteries, change, death, the hidden, foresight and wisdom.

Fuck the BIBLE uses them in a 'good' mythological fashion.

READ:
>>17314265 's post

there are a ton of 'good' uses of ravens in there.

>>17314334
>Real great omen there.
the birds arent CAUSING the fall you simpleton, they have foresight to it happening.

>is a fucking asshole
you think "trickster god" == "Asshole"?
Son are you literally retarded?

You can cherry pick whatever the fuck you want and find "bad ravens" to support your silly ass theory, but the truth is they are neither bad nor good, they are used in both senses across all peoples and traditions.

Do you really want me to go find the specific citations to prove you wrong or are you done choking on your tongue now?
>>
>>17314353
>You're just being lazy, the two birds are very different.

I know that. But since the article I linked to primarily used the word "raven" instead of "crow", I was mentioning that in folklore, the two terms are often used interchangeably and some cultures don't even have separate words for the two of them.

>superior ravens r better than trashy crows

I could dump a ton of links and text about the varying differences between crows and ravens, the several different sub-species, etc. but this isn't /an/ and it's not like anyone in this thread would give a damn, since this is just devolving into a shitty troll thread, your post included.
>>
>>17314366
>the birds arent CAUSING the fall you simpleton, they have foresight to it happening.
Except they are. Once they leave, the fall will happen. Stop acting so stupid.

It's ironic that you call me cherry picking when you're using the ass end of folklore to try to disprove that they're associated with the dark arts.
>>
File: 37283894 37.jpg (33KB, 510x696px) Image search: [Google]
37283894 37.jpg
33KB, 510x696px
>>17314353

Raven /x/ History: There was a year long period when posting a picture of a raven on /x/ got you banned for three days. It was never explained why. Magical reasons? Someone hated Baltimore? Who knows.

This is the 'forbidden' pic that started it all.
>>
>>17314373
>Once they leave, the fall will happen
You're intentionally being obtuse now, the birds aren't causing the damned fall, theyre not the ill omen, them LEAVING is. Theyre the good luck charm at the tower, thus Charles the II ordering them protected.

>>17314373
>ass end of folklore
so now you're a judge on which folklore is relevant and which is not? I think this explains a lot about your position. Ravens are a 'bad birdie' in whatever simplistic world view you subscribe to, so you cant possibly be wrong because it would force you to make even a slight alteration to your viewpoint. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ravens CAN be used as signs of ill, they can also be used as signs of good, they can be used as signs of dark magic, or of good magic, thus me saying they are associated "with magic" as in... in general. You will see this is you take even a basic look at even the wikipedia article linked above.

Are you finished making yourself look uneducated or are we done here?
>>
File: abandon_thread.gif (1MB, 304x268px) Image search: [Google]
abandon_thread.gif
1MB, 304x268px
This is why we can't have nice things, /x/. Let this thread die, maybe try again later with a general thread about spooky animals too so it stands less chance of being deleted as off-topic /an/ material.
>>
>>17314387
> them LEAVING is.
Yes. Exactly. Them leaving is. If they leave THEY CAUSE THE FALL.

>the raven has long been considered a bird of ill omen
Literally from the wiki link.

I'm so glad you still can't wrap your head around the fact that they're associated with the dark arts. Please continue to show everyone how stupid you are.
>>
>>17314393
ok shitheel:

first off from that same site: the raven (like the coyote) obtained mythic status because it was a mediator animal between life and death
that is NEUTRAL, unless you consider death to be super spoopy and 'evil'.

on with the show:
Informed Apollo of Coronis's treachery, Apollo punished the bird for not pecking their eyes out (sure sounds evil to me) The bird became associated with PROHPECY

a roman general was protected by one

in the Landnámabók they lead a ship to its destination (theres that foresight I was talking about)

they protected the body of Saint Vincent of Saragossa

they protected saint Benedict of Nursia by stealing his poisoned bread before he could eat it (more foresight)

when the ravens stop flying around Frederick Barbarossa he will awaken and restore Germany

Odin was accompanied by his two birds which brought him back wisdom from midgard

when Ragnar Lodbrok's raven banner was flying, he would have a succesful battle, when it hung limp and lifeless he would fail.

According to legend, the Kingdom of England will fall if the ravens of the Tower of London are REMOVED (idiot)

In the Qur'an's version of the story of Cain and Abel, a raven is mentioned as the creature who taught Cain how to bury his murdered brother

rows are also considered ancestors in Hinduism and during Śrāddha the practice of offering food or pinda to crows is still in vogue

Crow flying low across one's path as one starts on an important errand or trip is also considered an omen, interpreted as favourable or not, depending on the direction it crosses e.g. left to right or vice versa.

That's just a selection from the wikipedia page.
As I said, they are neutral and have ties to foresight, wisdom, hidden knowledge, magic, the dead, souls, protection and many other themes both light and dark, because they are neutral.

Are you done now?
>>
Crows are one of the most intelligent Encourage them the world if you compare their height chinpase have almost the same size so you did not know q but the crow is smarter q your
>>
>>17314429
He's already shown how ignorant and stubborn he is, it's pointless to debate with him further. I doubt he'll even read 1/5 of your post or just point out the 'bad' parts.
>>
>>17314435
I know, I didn't really post it for him.
>>
>>17314434
>chinpase have almost the same size so you did not know q but the crow is smarter q your

Holy fuck.
>>
>>17314501
Either someone who doesn't know English very well or is mobile posting.
>>
>>17314535

But why do they post at all if all they can crank out is an incomprehensible string of gibberish?

It's like the sentences little kids make up when they're trying to learn to write. It has letters, and some words -- but they're just stringing the symbols together with no idea what they mean.
>>
>>17313710

Hi anons, i want to know more about crows. Can you suggest me some books?
>>
File: image.gif (710KB, 250x163px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
710KB, 250x163px
>>17313734
>Tfw a crow landed on my right side today
He was so close to me too.
>>
>>17314646
He was pretty big and had large feathers so I think he was a Raven. Still applies tho, right?
>>
>>17313710
I think they're cute. Paranormal.. Not so much. They're just incredibly intelligent for birds.
>>
>>17314665

If you just see one raven/crow in isolation and aren't sure which it is, listen to it. Crows scream "caw caw" pretty much non-stop. Ravens don't vocalize as much, and when they do it's this weird croaking and odd rattling sound.

Raven sounds

http://e5d.3ee.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/COMRAV_1.-various-calls-NY1.mp3
>>
>>17313710
in chrisitanity they and rats and other creatures are considered to be animals of the devils.
>>
>>17313710
no.
>>
>>17313710
Nah man ravens are where it's at.
>>
>>17313710
I think the Indians had it right. There's something supernatural about crows, and death, and the conveying of a spirit to the afterlife.
>>
File: booing.jpg (28KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
booing.jpg
28KB, 500x333px
>>17314434
>>
Saturn.
>>
>>17314726
I was walking by a river and he was just by himself. Made no sound...
>>
>>17315397
It's something the Germanic folks did too.
They were the eyes of Odin on earth.
The All-Father is watching you through his ravens.
>>
>>17313710
bringers of doom
>>
I love ravens, but kinda hate the cultural stigmata they get. I mean they are such awesome birds, but everyone assumes that if you have any interest in them you are morbid or goth or whatever.
>>
>>17314294

The Ravens left the Tower of London in 1946, and another breeding pair was brought in.

Britain has really gone to shit since then.

Bran, the name of the Welsh dude whose head is buried under the tower, means Raven.
>>
File: 23283894 23.jpg (76KB, 456x584px) Image search: [Google]
23283894 23.jpg
76KB, 456x584px
>>
File: 1327193968575.jpg (89KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1327193968575.jpg
89KB, 600x750px
>>
File: 1353489313193.jpg (25KB, 293x400px) Image search: [Google]
1353489313193.jpg
25KB, 293x400px
>>
File: Birds-2-300x227.jpg (53KB, 666x503px) Image search: [Google]
Birds-2-300x227.jpg
53KB, 666x503px
>>
File: charle121.gif (270KB, 761x894px) Image search: [Google]
charle121.gif
270KB, 761x894px
>>
>>17314429
So you still haven't proven how they're not associated with the dark arts. And all of those things you mentioned are still either bad omens or related to death and yes, death is almost exclusively symbolic of the dark arts.
>>
>>17314814

Source/citation?
>>
>>17316465

Says it all.
>>
File: reethoiseejesuslikeallspace.jpg (42KB, 516x550px) Image search: [Google]
reethoiseejesuslikeallspace.jpg
42KB, 516x550px
>>17314434
>>
File: Crow-in-Snow-Flight.jpg (97KB, 860x614px) Image search: [Google]
Crow-in-Snow-Flight.jpg
97KB, 860x614px
>>17315891
This so hard.

>>17316450
Thanks, been meaning to get this picture back again.
>>
File: raven-black-animated.gif (26KB, 400x297px) Image search: [Google]
raven-black-animated.gif
26KB, 400x297px
>>
File: 2w4Fg73.jpg (19KB, 559x375px) Image search: [Google]
2w4Fg73.jpg
19KB, 559x375px
>>17313710
>>
>>17313710
Sure, the crow is seen as a harbinger of death. It's said they'll gather on the roof of a house where someone will soon die.

There was also something about them being kind of guides for lost souls. After someone dies, they help guide them to where they need to go.
>>
>>17319355
>It's said they'll gather on the roof of a house where someone will soon die.

Crows are thick as gulls in some places, every one is going to die -- is that the message?
>>
>>17319361
I didn't invent the superstition sherlock I'm just relaying it.

This is a British superstition if that's relevant to the OP.
>>
>>17314375
lol fuck baltimore
>>
>>17314334
>Real great omen there.
coming from an irishman, i'd say it's good.
>>
>>17319604
Hah
>>
>>17317069
you didnt even read the list apparently as in several places the myth has nothing to do with bad omens or death.

Lets put the shoe on the other foot show me where ravens or crows are specifically tied to DARK magic, and not just magic in general or hidden wisdom.

I provided a shitload of examples to prove that theyre a neutral mythological figure, your turn to post examples. Otherwise fuck off.
>>
>>17313710
Omens, luck, superstition. They're all over mythology.

I just know that I get really excited when I see them. They're funny little guys.
>>
File: 21413241234.jpg (79KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
21413241234.jpg
79KB, 640x360px
Crowsus anons, calm yo tail feathers
>>
Bump so i can save this shit when im on pc
>>
File: 1443635330880.jpg (3MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1443635330880.jpg
3MB, 2560x1600px
>>17313710
This thread is full of retards. Crows are asociated with death because these birds are the companions of death.

Due to their intelligence they figured out that if they follow armies, they can profit a lot after the shitstorm ends. The piles of dead bodies were a feast for them.
>>
>>17323237
Death is one of the associations of crows/ravens, more particularly with crows. It is not the only association as they have many across many cultures. Read the wiki, read a book, stop posting, its been discussed.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 1024x683px
>>17323237
>carbon fiber ballistic armor
>>
File: eye4an.png (83KB, 549x378px) Image search: [Google]
eye4an.png
83KB, 549x378px
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.