[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /x/ think about buddhism (and also other Dharma religions)?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: unnamed.jpg (145KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
145KB, 960x800px
What does /x/ think about buddhism (and also other Dharma religions)?
>>
>>17313425
Buddhism is a pretyt cool guy. eh chill as fuck and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>17313425
What are some good podcasts for meditation?
>>
>>17313479
joe rogan, sam harris, terence mckenna lectures.... the list goes on
>>
File: 1454467645154.jpg (70KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1454467645154.jpg
70KB, 500x375px
>>17313425
Christian Buddhist Mystic Discordian Hermeticist (in that order) here.

AMA.
>>
>>17313425
They aren't my favorite. While they do tend to promote a limited social ethicism, the simple fact is that they have too much in common with Gnosticism, which is to say a loathing of both self and the material. It's escapism, ultimately. I prefer Taoism.
>>
File: fishpeople.jpg (47KB, 500x395px) Image search: [Google]
fishpeople.jpg
47KB, 500x395px
>>17313510
Rogan? What the ever living fuck are you talking about?

I don't even want to be enlightened anymore. Fuck your answer you cunt.
>>
>>17313538
Islamic Buddhist Anti-theist here.

Every religion is undone by the mixed signals it sends.
>>
Buddhism is aite. I prefer Hinduism.

Something something compassion. Seems like Buddhism gets lost in its own ethical/moral viewpoints.
>>
>>17313538
can you make this so that all the fingers are animals?
>>
>>17313613
Do you have pictures of your mother?
>>
>>17313479
believe it or not some of the best I've heard come from Sam Harris (the Athiest Neuroscientist guy). Look for his Waking Up podcasts. They are especially good for people just getting into meditation from a secular viewpoint
>>
Can meditation (and enlightenment) basically tun your reality into something like a never ending shroom trip?
>>
>>17313616
oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. thanks
>>
>>17313623
No, but hallucinations and psychosis can.
>>
>>17313623
You can indeed trigger psychosis with mindfulness vipasana meditation, but only if you're genetically vulnerable to schizophrenia and other things like weed or sleep deprivation and so on can trigger it too.
>>
>>17313640
>trigger psychosis
Psychosis is built, not triggered. When someone that's actually depressed goes to meditate, their mind will take them to ever darker places. Most people, when they meditate, get over trite emotional baggage. Most people aren't actually clinically depressed.

Same basic principle here; if meditation usually caused psychosis, it wouldn't have become an age-old art handed down generation after generation for thousands of years.
>>
>>17313465
I appreciate this comment, friend.
>>
reincarnation is the worst garbage ever
>>
>>17313655
I could show you hidden dimensions to every religion that would make your skin crawl and blood boil. There is ALWAYS worse garbage out there.
>>
>>17313643
Of course meditation doesn't cause psychosis, but psychosis can be triggered through mindfulness meditation. The reason why many buddhists or meditation schools don't allow you in if you have a history of mental illness, for this very reason. There are also scientific studies showing this.

But as said, only in under 1% of the population who are vulnerable to psychosis, and other things like weed, sleep deprivation, or stress, can trigger it too.

Also psychosis can feel very much like enlightenment, imho, having triggered a psychosis through mindfulness once, and going on a months long trip fueled with hyper religious experiences, I can't help but to feel like many religions are at least partially, founded on such experiences.. but meh don't take my word for it, I'm diagnosed with insanity after all. But believe me when I say that psychosis can be triggered through meditation, I know it from first hand experience.
>>
>>17313692
>psychosis can be triggered through mindfulness meditation
No, it can't, because psychosis isn't a dwarf; it doesn't just spring up out of holes in the ground. Psychosis is designed, built and engineered. It doesn't just fucking happen when someone sits down to think about and appreciate the present moment.

If you were to bother to think about it, I'm sure you could pick out and of a thousand things the led up to your psychosis OTHER than the thing that triggered it. An EXISTING psychosis can be triggered by *any number of things,* not just meditation. But it doesn't suddenly get triggered into existence where before it just wasn't there at all. You had a condition and you had a thing that set off your condition, but it wasn't the trigger that caused the psychosis. There's still probably a ton of things messed up in your head that you don't have any reference frame to understand as weird, delusional, or psychotic. You're probably emotionally attached to half of them and wouldn't give them up if you were paid a billion dollars to do so.

But more than anything: Yes! You're right! Religion *IS* founded on this psychosomatic emotional bullshit that everyone plagues themselves with. So if we can avoid mudslinging on one of the few practices that can actually HELP people overcome their lifelong emotional baggage, that'd be great.

And just to be clear: I DO mean to demean your condition. I'm not going to pretend it's any saner than half the other fucktared fantasies people believe in. You SHOULD be ready to hear this shit and you SHOULD be willing to deal with your lot in life, even if it's fucking painful. Sorry if it's insensitive, but if I don't treat you like someone who can fix themselves, I can't expect that anybody else will.

And YES you need "fixing." Just not the bullshit fake kind. I'm talking about the kind that only YOU can do because only YOU have ever lived your life. Hope that's not to cryptic or vague or anything. I *INTEND* well for you.
>>
>>17313740
>any of a thousand things the led up to your psychosis
fix
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 510x403px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 510x403px
>>17313425
They hate Muslims. Good enough for me.
>>
>>17313740
I like you. I'd like to buy you a beer.
>>
>>17313626
:^)
>>
>>17313559
Underrated comment. Not into Taoism but spot on with Buddhism.
>>
>>17313798
Thanks... I think.
>>
>>17313559
>Gnosticism is a loathing of both self and the material

lmao you're might be retarded
>>
just a reminder buddhists are going to hell

sauce: watch some videos of former buddhist converting to christianity
>>
>>17313740
so to be clear, are you advocating or recommending against meditation here?
>>
>>17313881
Neither. It works for some people and it doesn't work for others. The bare basic fact is that you have to be wiling to face yourself and your true emotions before you can ever heal a mental condition.
>>
Jainism is a trip. They have an enormous scale of time and some of their beliefs, thousands of years ago almost hinted at some ancient knowledge of advanced science. They had well-developed concepts of the atom long before the Greeks and evolution thousands of years before Darwin. Moreover their concept of evolution seemed to encompass a wider scope of time and space by taking reincarnation into account. Also, this part of the Kalpa Sutra makes Mahavira sound like he was an alien:

>In that period, in that age lived the Venerable Ascetic Mahâvîra, the five (most important moments of whose life happened) when the moon was in conjunction with the asterism Uttaraphalgunî; to wit, in Uttaraphalgunî he descended (from heaven), and having descended (thence), he entered the womb (of Devânandâ); in Uttaraphalgunî he was removed from the womb (of Devânandâ) to the womb (of Trisalâ); in Uttaraphalgunî he was born
>>
The entirety of this religion is deception
>>
>>17313629

No. I've experienced psychosis and psychedelics and the two are substantially very different. Somewhat related... but very different.

The reason the term psychedelic was thought of in the first place was to move away from the terms like "psychotomimetic" that were used at the time, since after some research, psychologist found that the two states were different and wanted to avoid linking connotations of genuine psychosis to the psychedelic state.
>>
>>17313425
I am enlightenment. :)
>>
Nothing's wrong with a little bit of psychosis.

You should try it some time.
>>
>>17314259
shit post
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.