[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The ocean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 16

File: image.jpg (161KB, 1443x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 1443x1080px
Is it possible/probable for something like cthulu or giant sea monsters to be living in our ocean? After all, only a very miniscule amount of the ocean has been explored
>>
File: TzzFO.jpg (694KB, 1164x3700px) Image search: [Google]
TzzFO.jpg
694KB, 1164x3700px
>>17303850
>>
File: 1453168634714.jpg (130KB, 950x673px) Image search: [Google]
1453168634714.jpg
130KB, 950x673px
Not likely. Something that large is going to need tons of food daily to survive. Like several blue whales. It would need to move around to catch food. It would also take massive shits all over which would be found.
>>
>>17304041
>Massive shits

I've always said the same fucking thing, and wondered why it never came up in cryptozoology documentaries.
>>
Giant sea monsters? Sure. There's no reason we couldn't find a new whale or squid or something. Probably nothing bigger than the whales we've already found, though (any larger and you run into logistical issues)
>>
>>17304059
Hollow earth is filled with water.
>>
>>17304041
It need not shit, which eternal lies

And with strange aeons, even farts may die
>>
>>17304041
It's quite possible that such a creature would remain in a perpetual state of hibernation, thus requiring minimal energy
>>
File: 40ft Pyrosome.jpg (57KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
40ft Pyrosome.jpg
57KB, 970x545px
If there was, it would probably have to be a new form of life unlike the ones we have today. Something that could sustain a gigantic mass without the need to consume large amounts of food.

Deep sea creatures are amazing at conserving energy to the point where they can make a single meal last for weeks. That, and there is abyssal gigantism.

It is not known for certain why creatures get so huge at deeper levels, but one of the reasons is possibly the amount of chemicals introduced to the environment from hydrothermal vents and lack of predators (the most likely macropredatory creature of such depth is a giant squid/sperm whale).

However, there are some creatures that scientists can't wrap their head around: Pyrosomes.

They're zooids (sciencefag version of Voltron), composed of a ton of tiny creatures fused and polymerized into a single form. They can sustain tremendous pressure, survive being destroyed (as zooists breed and replace the damaged body with more of themselves) and can take pretty much any form they need (walking limbs, eyes, swimming paddles, stomachs, teeth, tentacles, stinging organs etc.)

The thing is, nobody really knows where they come from. There's no fossil history of them, or any history at all. They are a very recent creature that just seemed to be popping up lately, and getting extremely huge. One was observed hunting even though it lacks any nervous system capable of thought and behavior.

They seem really silly, but they are similar in function to the Man-O-War, that drifty fucker made up of a bunch of different creatures (aka, a regular fucking animal) that can kill shit.

So in general, new species of creatures are emerging despite having no real ancestors, just forming from whatever mad hell is down there. While I doubt a cthulhu is brewing up down there I'm pretty sure there's a ton of weird, huge, undiscovered shit living down in the deep, maybe even worse than any shark or whale we've seen up here.
>>
>>17303850
Its surely possible. There was a 30 ft Great White shark that was tagged and monitored, it basically went near a massive sea shelf, and while moving one direction vertically, it instantly went vertical and plummeted at a rate impossible for a great white to move, down like 20000 feet or some shit, I dont recall the number. It was said decades ago and it continues to prove more true daily as we learn more about space, that we know less about what is in our own ocean than we do about what is out in the reaches of space.
>>
>>17304052
>Their shit and piss is oil
>Oil isn't just buried prehistoric organic matter
>it's post-digested animals that this giant fucker has been eating and shitting out deep into the earth
>>
>>17304052
>>17304041
Even a massive creature or a population of them wouldnt produce enough feces to even register or be noticeable in the least compared to the sheer volume of the ocean, thats not even factoring water being the universal solvent and all that.
>>
>>17304041
Some of the largest things in the ocean eat the smallest things in the ocean. Why hunt for fucking whales when you could just open your mouth, suck in tiny creatures and call it a meal?
>>
>>17303850
We don't actually know how large the colossal squid can grow, all we have are estimates based on recovered infant corpses.

Now remember, I said colossal squid, the much larger cousin of the giant squid.
>>
>>17304126
>creature composed of deep sea nano-bots
yeah i'm fuckin out gang.
>>
>>17304066
That's sort of true. The Earths crust does have deep lakes and seas contained within it. The hollow Earth part is retarded though.
>>
>>17304491
Speaking of deep lakes, here's a comforting thought for you all. Some lakes are so deep and narrow that they can't go through the process of turnover, which mixes water at the top and bottom of the lakes (as well as the oxygen in the water). This causes massive amounts of CO2 to build up at the bottoms of these deep lakes. When the deeper parts of the lakes are disturbed (say a boulder falls from a cliff into the lake and sinks quickly to the bottom) this can cause all of that CO2 to rush to the top.

There are documented cases of this happening where entire villages of people will die in their sleep. Cattle lay dead in droves in the field, there's no screaming or panic, everything just suffocates.
>>
Loch Ness monster is more believable than cthulu. Anatomy doesn't fit in with the evolution of species. If he was ayyy lmao then how did he get there in the first place. He would have also died in hibernation because water temerature isn't constant.
>>
>>17304518
It's called a Limnic Eruption, there's only two documented cases but there's probably a lot more undocumented cases.

There's a ton of crazy things that can kill you in both oceans and lakes.
>>
>>17304552
Thermal vents are a huge reason life can exist that far down. They would keep the waters relatively warm. You could imagine Cthulu camping out on a really big vent as he hibernates.

The majority of colossal squid exist around here and their sizes are generally unknown.
>>
>>17304128
I remember that story. The sharks carcass was discovered with giant chunks bitten out of it.
>>
>>17304518
I have seen documentaries on this phenomena. You would think ground penetrating radars would be used on densely populated areas just as a precaution.

I wonder just how big the lakes can be.
>>
>>17304557
Yeah the conditions required for something like that to happen are pretty rare as I understand it. I've certainly never been to a lake in excess of 1,000 feet deep. Plus with preventative measures now in place it will probably get even more unheard of. I know that at least one of the lakes where this happened now has a long pump system that shoots air into the bottom to keep the lake constantly churning.

>>17304666
Don't quote me on these numbers, but I think the lake I read about where this occurred was around 2-300 feet across and more than 1000 feet deep. Plus they also have to be close to the equator in order for the water to settle like that. If there are significant seasonal changes in the area of the lake then it'll go through fall and spring turnover. So if you live near a small lake by the equator that you can't see the bottom of, consider moving.
>>
>>17304685
Mass cases of extinction of wildlife would be the best way to go about looking for these things. Maybe reports of old age explorers finding corpses in mass and labeling an area cursed could indicate past occurances.

>also literally all of florida at that point.
>>
>>17304652
Was supposed to be a colossal great white that ate it if I'm thinking of the same story as you are.
>>
>>17304727
Cannibalistic sharks exist also
>>
>>17304041

Geothermal energy.

That is all.
>>
>>17304727
Has to be different? It was a 9ft shark that was cannibalized by a great white at about 16ft.
>>
>>17304128
Do you happen to know any sources for more info?
>>
>>17304126

I know this is a really fucking silly question to ask on /x/, but how factual was any of what you just said?

Like, can you name me an actual species of organism that falls under the classification of "zooid", or is this a theoretical/mythical thing that hasn't been officially documented?
>>
>>17304756
Not that poster but this is article has the deepest diving shark.

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/great-white-shark-amazes-scientists-with-4-000-foot-dive-into-abyss/#9Q4oVsvjXt0f8qUx.97
>>
>>17304769
thanks, ill take a look
>>
>>17303850
>very miniscule
That's charitable.
>>
>>17304491
No.
>>
File: image005.0.jpg (5KB, 135x76px) Image search: [Google]
image005.0.jpg
5KB, 135x76px
>>17303850
It's just impossible, King Kong or Gozilla couldn't live in the earth because they are to heavy and tall for our atmosphere so don't even talk about creatures similar so Cthulhu.
>>
>>17304781
>ignores dinosaurs
>>
>>17304765
Zooids are an actual thing. They're basically a multi structural animal composed of many parts.

http://www.siphonophores.org/SiphOrganization.php

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrosome
>wikipedia
It gives you a basic explanation of Pyrosomes.
>>
File: picture for ants.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
picture for ants.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
>>17304781
What is this, a picture for my aunt?
>>
>>17304126
>Pyrosomes
Good read, thanks!
>>
>>17304792
>Ignores dinosaurs lived in the earth around 230 millions of years ago with differents conditions.
>>
>>17304126
>zooids
any documentary, vid or paper to read?
>>
>>17304141
Timothy Flyte
>>
>>17304776
Yes.

http://www.livescience.com/1312-huge-ocean-discovered-earth.html
>>
>>17304486
It's close to our evolutionary ancestor.
Tunicates lead to chordates. It's cool as shit.
>>
>>17304756
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/10/world/australia-great-white-shark/

The shark that was killed was 9 foot in length -- not 30. The current theory is that a bigger Great White killed it.
>>
>>17305553
a bigger great white that moved faster and deeper than a great white could/would? And despite great whites not eating each other? Weird, beard!
>>
>>17304126
Just expanding on the whole large animal that needs minimal food. Snakes are a good example of this. Big snakes can survive off of food for years. So assuming there is something bigger than a whale down there. Logically it would be a deep sea ambush predator with an extremely slow digestive system. Diet would consist of giant or colossal squid and sperm whales.
>>
>>17305994
This is a very good example. Seems really possible to me. Diet could also involve other gigantic shit we've never even heard of.

Thanks for this thread, guys. I'm pretty into outer space, and as a result I haven't really given the ocean enough attention. It's fucking creepy down there. Fascinating.
>>
File: Cosmic_Horror.jpg (118KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmic_Horror.jpg
118KB, 1131x707px
Giant sea monsters? Yes.
Cthulu however would not be living in our oceans if it had a choice. Know your lore scrub
>>
>>17305994
Corpses of giant squid showed up before any ever saw a live one in the wild. Why haven't we ever found a corpse?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (49KB, 216x504px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
49KB, 216x504px
>>
And we consider Cthulhu to behave like a normal creature rather than an interdimensional being.
>>
>>17303850
yeah, that Predator X show was pretty convincing. A leftover aquatic dinosaur that ate killer whales for breakfast.

Have we even explored 1% of the ocean yet?
>>
>>17304079
Underated.
>>
>>17304079
Brilliant
>>
>>17304126
This is actually one of the few accurate things I've ever read on /x/. Thank you anon, I know how more studying to do on the subject!
>>
>>17303850
I like to believe that it's possible.
>>
bump for an actually pretty good thread for once.

More water related phenomena
>>
>>17306286
no
>>
>>17303850
I find it curious that humans can go to space explore with drones etc but not deep under water.
>>
>>17304652
i also remember a story like that. the accepted answer was that the transmitter somehow came lose and simply fell down
>>
What if colossal squid are this things food which is why we have never seen one?
>>
>>17304814
>around 230
>>
>>17304126
Awesome pic. This guy gets it. If you come across a 40ft worm, you wrangle it, and ride that fucker.
>>
>>17306164
I thought the reason for the squid corpses was due to them going to the surface while they were dying.
>>
File: Ocean floor.jpg (2MB, 4320x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Ocean floor.jpg
2MB, 4320x2160px
>>17306253
All of it.
>>
>>17306557
It's a different kind of environment to send things exploring into. Space is a vast nothingness without pressure. Refer to the 2nd post in about the Mariana Trench, how it details the pressure that far under water.
>>
Lurking this thread. some cool shit, i've always been fasinated by the ocean although it is my greatest fear too.
>>
>>17304028
Do you have the one where it has bikini bottom at the bottom?
>>
>>17304738
This guy is onto something...
>>
>>17306135
i imagine when seeing this that theres a small town over there that has lived near this gigantic thing frozen in the ice beneath them for so long that they aren't even afraid anymore. they just drive trucks and shit over it, ice skate on the ice sheet you can see it through, they just don't give a fuck. maybe there's a prank the teenagers play on the little kids where they act like it's super scary when the little kid sees it for the first time so they get all freaked out, and then laugh and make fun of him for being afraid of "big timmy", as they call him.
>>
>>17306557
it's easier to survive less pressure than it is to survive more pressure, especially the gargantuan pressures in the deep sea.
>>
>>17304825
That was a good book. Still scares me today.
>>
>>17304128
I think you're thinking of that bullshit discovery channel doc about the "search for megalodon."

It was the exact same scenario, where they supposedly got a shark to ingest a tracking device, and then it descended so rapidly and deep that it could have only been a megalodon doing it.

only problem was the whole show was bullshit.
>>
>>17304126
Imagine a giant, deep-sea colony of amoeba like that, subsisting off of a combination of chemosynthesis and marine snow. It would basically be the blob.

Or a shoggoth . . .
>>
>>17308134
Discovery channel, no. I haven't watched TV in over 20 years and I dont use youtube to look up the same shit anyone with cable gets.
>>
File: theonetruegod.jpg (4KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
theonetruegod.jpg
4KB, 284x177px
>>
>>17306164
Some sea creatures don't float. The reason right whales are called that is because they were easy to hunt due to the fact they'd float after being harpooned. This isn't true for sperm whales or blue whales. We can't rely on finding corpses when it comes to sea exploration. Not to mention, the oceans scavengers are amazing at cleaning up.
>>
>>17307919
This
>>
>>17306253
Most of the ocean floor has been mapped with echolocation from my knowledge. However, we have barely begun trying to understand the wildlife that's down there. Think about all the species we've unintentionally wiped out completely that we have never even discovered...
>>
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure my fiance won the lotto the other night and saw a giant (alive) squid get washed up on shore after a sneaker wave almost got him and his buddy.

We have private beach access and they took the dog out for a night walk.

His buddy said the water didn't sound right so they ran upstairs and sure enough, ten foot wall of water comes nipping on their heels.

They decided to sit at the top of the cliff after that, but while up there, they thought the wave washed a huge log up on shore or something. My fiance pointed the flashlight on it and he descibes it as a 'dinner plate sized orange eye, dark/black skin, and writhing and making freaky sounds against the rocks'.

Another huge wave came in a little after that and it was gone. Both of them thought they were hallucinating, but they remember the dog freaking out and barking.
>>
>>17305536
You did not read the article. It's highly hydrated ROCK but there is about as much water down there as the Artic ocean. Nothing can swim through it.
>>
>>17309256
a colossal conglomeration of nano-bots could separate and navigate such a space with ease
>>
File: 1423336779118.jpg (124KB, 640x361px) Image search: [Google]
1423336779118.jpg
124KB, 640x361px
>>17309256
The artical said that as a huge waterlogged rock shifts quickly down in the earth it allows waterto evaporate and get trapped under the upper crust which makes an underground ocean. Paraphrase of course
>>
>>17304814
>le millions of years maymay
>>
>>17303850
Cthulhu isn't a sea monster and he isn't living in it.
>>
>>17307919
The "Small town" is clearly some type of processing plant, so they are extracting something from the creature
>>
>>17306135
Marit lage
>>
>>17304128
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/ten-year-mystery-solved-great-3783970 you mean this?
>>
>>17309525
Are you made cuz he proved you wrong?
>>
>>17304126
>new species of creatures are emerging despite having no real ancestors
Just because we have no fossils of their ancestors doesn't mean they don't exist. These things have no bones, so they wouldn't be likely to leave behind fossils in the first place.
>>
>>17304128
Are you talking about this http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2014/06/nine-foot-great-white-shark-eaten-by-unknown-sea-creature/ ?
If so, this https://web.archive.org/web/20151224223514/http://sploid.gizmodo.com/mystery-solved-heres-the-animal-that-ate-the-9-foot-gr-1587429691 article says that researchers believe the predator to be a collosal cannibal great white.
>>
Well we still don't know what caused the Bloop or some of the other sounds in the ocean. Maybe... the ocean is pretty big
>>
>>17310687
the bloop was caused by an icequake. They did comparisons with other icequakes.
>>
>>17304486
Yeah this shit right here, sounds like some Minicon bullshit from Transformers.

You don't want creatures like that to evolve anymore intellectually, pretty much perfect predator.
>>
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/mystery-solved-heres-the-animal-that-ate-the-9-foot-gr-1587429691
>>
>>17307866
lol I want this too if it exists
>>
>>17304041

WOAH DUDE BUT
WHAT
IF IT DIDN'T NEED TO EAT, MOVE OR SHIT?
>>
I sure hope not, because it's gotta be some pissed off we keep fucking it's home over with shit, piss, heavy metals and whatnot
>>
>>17306253
We've only explored 5% of the ocean because of how goddamn difficult it is to explore.
>>
Why are deep sea threads always filled with women? Women are usually cowards when it comes to the ocean.
>>
>>17304781
if the water pressure/buoyancy (is that the right word? english is not my first language) is enough it can sustain bigger creatures (see whales) that can't survive outside said pressure.
>>
>>17311601
how on earth can you tell?
>>
File: 1448786228970.jpg (248KB, 600x6205px) Image search: [Google]
1448786228970.jpg
248KB, 600x6205px
>>17307866
>>17311310
ask and thou shalt receive
>>
>>17311891
My nigga. Saved.
My kid brother thanks you.
>>
File: 1923451222229.jpg (38KB, 430x384px) Image search: [Google]
1923451222229.jpg
38KB, 430x384px
Stop talking about this shit, it creeps me the fuck out. I get shivers just thinking about being lost in the murky depths miles from home.
>>
File: ifeelyou.jpg (17KB, 400x369px) Image search: [Google]
ifeelyou.jpg
17KB, 400x369px
>>17312128
thalassophobiam i feel ya anon
>>
File: I-know-that-feeling-bro-600x300.jpg (19KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
I-know-that-feeling-bro-600x300.jpg
19KB, 600x300px
>>17312144
>>
>>17311916
glad to be helpful... for once
>>
>>17312144
>thalassophobiam
*thalassophobia
>>
Lol yes that's why I went to go to the store and that's when I decided to go out the other way and honesty is the best ever wat of out all and then when you fall you can see what is on the side of it towards the back not only cuz that's why'd just why why ugh idk why the domain heavily Pershing jump idk why the parks in buffalo I'd say cubism of course and possum park oval piano lesson dump
>>
Requesting Pressure.
>>
>>17304041
It's very likely you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>17309521
I love the business man in this.
>Now where did I park
>>
>>17306319
They do know where they come from, they're like sea pineapples. Also they're been documented for hundreds of years.
>>
File: Take a seat.jpg (216KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
Take a seat.jpg
216KB, 660x371px
>>17312128
>>
>>17312181
Is that the hypothetical game /v/ always talks about?
>>
>>17312764
No, there's a stalker hypnotist that puts his victims on this board to try to manipulate public opinion. It's a coded "signal."
>>
>>17312921
Same deal here:
>>17312664
>and her why hate so much
This is one of the victims responding: >>17312694

"Her" probably refers to The Fairy Queen. There was a thread awhile back where she tapped into the pseudohive signals and royally fucked up everything they were trying to build.
>>
>>17305553
Except there are totally cases where Great Whites DO eat eachother. Here's an example:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/10/world/australia-great-white-shark/
>>
>>17306557
I find it curious that people still actually believe we'v ever been to space.
>>
>>17313014
Keep the autism to the 30 other space threads. We never get a good ocean thread anymore.
>>
>>17305670
but great whites do eat eachother???
>>
>>17306557
Maybe we have seen what's deep in the ocean and that's why we're so eager to travel in space away from here
>>
>>17313014
maan if you think we can't fucking make it to space you're absolutely retarded like I can't even try and formulate a real arguement because it's just fucking blatantly obvious that even if the moon landing etc were fake, we are still entirely fuckin capable of making it to space technologically
>>
>>17313485
Lies. All artificial satellites were put there by alien contracting with the government. It doesn't count if we don't do it on our own.
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.