[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's everyone's favorite Lovecraft story? Mine is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

What's everyone's favorite Lovecraft story?
Mine is "Pickman's Model".
>>
Mine is The Thing on the Doorstep.
>>
>>17269699
The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward, love the build up and had me glued to the book
>>
At the mountains of madness, read it about ten times. Second is "The shadow out of time". I like the stories that go back hundreds of millions of years ago.
>>
>>17269699
Only one I've read was the one with the hounds.

So, that one, I guess.
>>
>>17269699
The Dreams in the Witch House
>>
>>17269699
Color Out of Space for sheer Twilight Zone-esque spookiness.
Shadow Over Innsmouth for the pacing.
Call of Cthulhu because I genuinely liked the indirect, almost gumshoe investigator manner in which all the pieces were slowly fit together. With a few tweaks I still think CoC could actually make the best movie.

And then, on the side Dreamquest because I really felt that was him finally getting into some creative prose.
>>
>>17269699
The Rats in the Walls. I like the motif of horrible ancient secrets. I often dream of secret sub-cellars.
>>
>>17269699
Dagon
The shadow over innsmouth
Obligatory call of cthulhu
Colour from outer space
I love reading his stuff in chronological order on the internet archives; you can really see his writing dramatically improve and lengthen.
>>
1. from beyond
2. at the mountains of madness
3. the color out of space
>>
File: cthulhu1.png (678KB, 447x970px) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu1.png
678KB, 447x970px
>>17269699
Probably The Shadow Over Innsmouth, but I too enjoy Pickman's model.
>>
Shadow Over Innsmouth for me as well, though Call of Cthulhu is up there as well. I really enjoyed From Beyond and Pickman's Model, too.
>>
>>17269730
The fucking Shoggot wars. Just imagine the Elder-things shooting their ray guns in the darkness of the deep ocean.
>>
>>17269922
That one made me go to college. No necronomicm or weird experiences that put my sanity to test 0/10 will drop.
>>
At the Mountains of Madness. I'm still hoping that del Toro can find a way to resurrect the film version, but I know its all but deceased at this point. If he's still trying, though, he should just go indy.
>>
The Music of Erich Zann
>>
>>17269699
I like the one where the guy discovers hes a descendant of a yeti and then goes crazy.

Just kidding, that one story actually completely turned me off Lovecraft.
>>
>>17272516
Arthur Jermyn. Yeah that one is pretty bad.
>>
>>17269699
The Statement of Randolph Carter. It's the only story I've ever read that actually scared me.

Also Colour Out of Space
>>
>>17269699
I've never read any Lovecraft stories before, but I've always been interested. I have no idea how to find any of them though, is there any sites I can read them all on?

[spoiler]At the very least I want to read the one with Innsmouth.[/spoiler]
>>
>>17272656
All of his stories are available online. Here's Innsmouth:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/soi.aspx
>>
I adore Lovecraft's prose. Some people don't like it, think it's too flowery and unnecessarily complicated, but even when the stories themselves are weak, I find they're a pleasure to read.
>>
>>17272590
Oh yeah that one is pretty great too, especially for how short it is.
>>
From Beyond

He's a damn genius to put so much in such a small story.
>>
Can I have your most favouriye quote on your favourite Lovecraft story?
>>
>>17269714
>>17269922
These two are my favorites.
>>
>>17269699
Not my favorite but a funny one is called the bootleggers.

Irony, wierd noise and false association.
>>
>>17269699
Colour out of Space or Rats in the Walls.
>>
>>17272516
>>17272557
What are you talking about? "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family" is cash as fuck
>>
>>17272691
Cheers man. It's much appreciated.
>>
>>17272590
Yeah, The Statement of Randolph Carter is pretty good too. Not much happens but it still works nicely.
>>
>>17270406
Niggerman is Lovecraft's greatest character.
>>
I love much of Lovecrafts work, especially about dreams.

I have to say the very best story is The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath which brings many of these separate threads together and just creates an amazing story
>>
Im looking to start reading his works. Any particular order i should start?
>>
>>17278514
Yeah. I adored Through the Gates of the Silver Key for years before going back and realising it's more pulp than Lovecraft. They're still fun though.

Lovecraft's best always involve human degeneracy. You can tell that scared him a lot more than mankind's cosmic insignificance and everything. The Horror at Red Hook, Rats in the Walls and Pickman's Model all follow this and are some of his best.

Favourite has to be the Thing on the Doorstep. It had everything, a good pov, college, corruption and degeneration, loss of consciousness, shoggoths, the full shebang.

>>17274065
"You'll hear that boy calling his father's name at the top of that mountain someday."
Not my favourite story but best quote. Gives me the chills.
>>
>>17277093

On the Creation of Niggers being his greatest poem
>>
>>17278548
>and called it - a NIGGER

The caps gets me everytime. You can just imagine young Howard penning it down with a look of complete concentration on his face.
>>
>>17278556

Ironically, the "vice" part appears to be correct if you're looking at the behavior of the NIGGER.

Whilst it's racist, it's not untrue when comparing populations and looking at it from the perspective of a pompous and civilized English man.
>>
>>17278583
You needn't forget that Lovecraft rubbed shoulders with Dr Johnson :^)

(If you get this reference you are officially the biggest Lovecraft nerd on /x/)
>>
What book is the best for lovecraft stories?
>>
>>17278605
Delphi Complete.
>>
>>17278609
That's showing up as Kindle only, have you heard of these, are they any good?
>>
>>17270406
You, my friend, have good taste
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-27-11-22-23.png (351KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-27-11-22-23.png
351KB, 1080x1920px
>>17278810
Forgot the image
>>
>nobody said Under the Pyramids

All a bunch of edgy plebs, under the Pyramids was the spookiest one
>>
>>17269730
Guillermo del Toro dropped an adaptation of this because what he intended to do would be too similar to Prometheus.
tl;dr we got Prometheus instead of At the Mountains of Madness ;_;
>>
>>17272698
>it's too flowery and unnecessarily complicated
Well, he got paid for each word...
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_on_the_Borderland
Not Lovecraft, but obligatory.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>17278869
Not him but I own that necronomicon one, it's pretty good. Comes in a nice not-leather hard back and had a shit tonne of stories, and has some cool illustrations (pic related)

I'm interested in that other one you listed though
>>
>>17272318
All the skanks I see at my college, I'm pretty sure I could pick up some kind of "brain fever" if I tried hard enough.
>>
10. Cthulhu is pronounced ‘khlul-loo’ (because we’ve all wondered at some point)

In a 1934 letter to amateur writer Duane W Rimel, Lovecraft explained how to pronounce the name of his alien creation:

"The name of the hellish entity was invented by beings whose vocal organs were not like man’s, hence it has no relation to the human speech equipment. The syllables were determined by a physiological equipment wholly unlike ours, hence could never be uttered perfectly by human throats... The actual sound – as nearly as any human organs could imitate it or human letters record it – may be taken as something like Khlûl’-hloo, with the first syllable pronounced gutturally and very thickly. The u is about like that in full; and the first syllable is not unlike klul in sound, hence the h represents the guttural thickness."

The more you know.
>>
The Shunned House

>>17274065
"It was the utter, objective embodiment of the fantastic novelist’s ‘thing that should not be’"
>>
>>17280123
"Tekeli-li"
>>
>>17272698
Yes he has a pretentious writing style, which cannot really be blamed on the period of history that he came from.
>>
>>17280135
I'm pretty sure that one is form a Poe story.
>>
>>17280168
And also from At the Mountains of Madness.
>>
>>17269699
Actually a poem.
Fungi from Yuggoth.
If the thread was about novels, it would be At the mountains of madness.
>>
>>17280179
thatsthejoke.bmp
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.