[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Occult reading of...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: leadblackstar1.jpg (196KB, 1078x516px) Image search: [Google]
leadblackstar1.jpg
196KB, 1078x516px
BlackStar. I'm not into Crowley but Bowie was. He says that his Station to Station was a magical working (or thereabouts) and he's wearing the same outfit from that covershoot in the Lazarus video. Please someone with some depth in Crowley's work weigh in on what the message of Blackstar (video, single) is about.

Thanks,

- x
>>
>>17260206
he's a guy who often used to write songs by throwing bits of paper with random stuff written on them in a hat and pull them out randomly to create a song. he was an artist, that's all.
>>
>>17260206
There's literally nothing in the vid I'd construe as overtly Thelemic.

Bowie, while talented in and of himself, was an occult dabbler at best.

~t. OTO and A.'.A.'. initiate, dedicated Thelemite for six or seven years, and have read through most of AC's unpublished Yorke Microfilms of the Warburg Collection.
>>
>>17260206
I"m a blackstar
>>
File: william-s-burroughs.jpg (42KB, 400x564px) Image search: [Google]
william-s-burroughs.jpg
42KB, 400x564px
>>17260224
>he's a guy who often used to write songs by throwing bits of paper with random stuff written on them in a hat and pull them out randomly to create a song. he was an artist, that's all.

Not a fair description of William S. Burroughs' "cut-up" method which is used to get new insight of a topic. You don't take random stuff as much as take things all some how related, a list you made on a concept, pages from a book, clippings from today's paper -- then you randomize those. Pulling them out by drawing them from a hat would be one way. The idea then is to string them together as drawn and then come to insights on how they are connected by seeing them in a new order.

Before you laugh that off remember Bowie and Burroughs made a pretty penny from writings made this way, works that will stand the test of time. PK Dick used a slightly similar trick, he'd write characters into a corner, then use the I-Ching to come up with what to have them do next.
>>
>>17260237

λάχανο, have you ever added a comment to a thread that wasn't stupid?
>>
File: 1453494232354.png (5KB, 365x241px) Image search: [Google]
1453494232354.png
5KB, 365x241px
>>17260257
>we will never get the full version of PKD's notes on the Yi King
Feels fuckin' bad, man.
>>
File: 1449842735439.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1449842735439.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>17260237
Ah, but of course. Every filtered tripfag is a blackstar.
>>
Death is the message. Black star = black hole = consumer of all = death. We are just a flash in the pan comparatively, and we all deal with it in various ways.

What do soft black stars mean?
>>
>>17260237
I'm a blackstar
>>
File: Black_Star_Souleater.png (91KB, 235x461px) Image search: [Google]
Black_Star_Souleater.png
91KB, 235x461px
>>17260206
>>
>>17260206
So that Tumblr account people were believing to be his just started posting again.
>>
>>17262376
Which account is it?
>>
>>17262423
The Villa Of Ormen
>>
Bowie was an occult dabbling wannabe
Seriously, read anything that includes bowie's bio and wasnt written by bowie himself. He was a joke that used the occult to gain popularity at the height of "satanic rock stars" like jimmy page

Cue the butthurt bowie fags
>>
>>17262517
True facts about Bowie:

Before he moved into his first home in Hollywood, he had the pool excorcised as he believed that it was infested by a demon.

On hearing a news report on the radio that a UFO had crashed and its occupants had perished, Bowie cried like a girl.
>>
>>17260233
>was an occult dabbler
evidence?
>>
File: tumblr_m3feppBUTJ1qipcpt.png (600KB, 500x717px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m3feppBUTJ1qipcpt.png
600KB, 500x717px
>>17263509
not him, but it's all over his music, lines like "I'm closer to the golden dawn", "from malkuth to keter", are some examples. He had at least a passing interest in the occult.
>>
>>17263894
I think his character The Thin White Duke had a bigger interest than he did. When he was fucked up on all that cocaine, suffering from psychosis, he was terrified of it. He thought witches were trying to seal his sperm, his pool was haunted and that people were jumping off his roof and flying by his window.
>>
>>17263977
You have a point, I know about all that, but at the same time there are hints at his occult interest on Hunky Dory before the conception of the character.
>>
>>17260233
OP here. What do you get out of your practice? Knowing little to nothing about the Occult I wonder if there is a belief, or perhaps an understanding, in magical practice that reality and consciousness are, on an essential level, one. Therefore, what alters the mind, alters the reality, and vice-versa. For that to be so there must be a common language of mind-reality that is primitive to both. The simplest correlative is Form, specifically form constants constrained by point and line; elementary Euclidean geometry. Perhaps this is why rituals are carried out in patterns? Hack the mind, to hack reality? I realize this is a crass simplification and truly a guess, but am I anywhere near the truth or is it quite different from what I'm supposing? If different, how so?
>>
Bowie = musical genius, one of the god tier pillars of music

Crowley = starts off with interesting ideas however later on uses those interesting ideas to chant enochian,(gobbledegook), to summon demons...........fucking retard

Overall Crowley was an interesting twat but a twat non the less dont know what Bowie saw in him , I realy dont although im loving blackstar its definitely god tier
>>
>>17263977
Pretty much this. Bowie himself had little interest in the occult until he did a shitload of cocaine and became paranoid about black magic and curses. After he got sober he never mentioned it again.
I don't see any reason to think that he would put occult references in any of his newer songs. Maybe he refers to certain symbols but if he does it's purely for artistic reasons, there is no "message".
>>
The Old man was scared of death

He was human like the rest of us...
>>
>>17264884
>OP here. What do you get out of your practice?

Everything and nothing; one in the same.

>I wonder if there is a belief, or perhaps an understanding, in magical practice that reality and consciousness are, on an essential level, one.

Depends on your background, group, outlook, etc. I'd tend to agree with that, for the most part, but only in the biophysical sense of a lack of mind/body division and ""mind"" is not separate from any other physical process.

>Therefore, what alters the mind, alters the reality, and vice-versa.

That sort of pysch. model is incredibly popular in Chaos Magick and among folks like Israel Regardie.

>For that to be so there must be a common language of mind-reality that is primitive to both.

Sure, hence various metrics of symbol sets.

>The simplest correlative is Form, specifically form constants constrained by point and line; elementary Euclidean geometry. Perhaps this is why rituals are carried out in patterns?

More kind of a Korzybskian sense of time-binding than any kind of "mind hacking" thing you see in various new age type self-help lectures.

Again, you outlook will largely depend on the material you're working, previous education, group association, etc.

"The Occult" is not a monolithic concept. There is no "First National Church of the Occult". You've got a lot of fractious little groups, often inside of larger traditions, which may or may not have agreement or overlap.
>>
File: wut.png (155KB, 540x482px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
155KB, 540x482px
>>17262525
..........what?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.