[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here explored The Elder Scrolls lore in-depth? I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 14

File: image.jpg (757KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
757KB, 1600x1200px
Has anyone here explored The Elder Scrolls lore in-depth? I think a lot of the concepts like CHIM and the dragon break make sense applied to the world. In ancient days there were numerous gods walking upon earth. I seek to uncover that ancient power. Please point me in the right direction.

kik: thegnosticdwarf
>>
File: 0f8BAr1.png (29KB, 500x469px) Image search: [Google]
0f8BAr1.png
29KB, 500x469px
>>17258228
>"CHIM is a state of being where one realizes that the nature of the universe is that it was created by a godhead and that the godhead encompasses everything within it. At this point, one can come to one of two conclusions: that they are only a part of the godhead and don’t truly exist as an individual, at which point they zero sum and cease to exist, or that they acknowledge that they are part of the godhead but insist that they still exist as an individual, at which point they attain CHIM."
>>
>>17258228
Morrowind had great lore, too bad Bethesda went to shit immediately after.
>>
>>17258228
Why are the moons smaller than the stars, but cost twice as much?
>>
>>17258745

That's an overly complicated way of looking at it that lore fans tend to try and not use.

The easiest and more accurate way to describe CHIM is basically lucid dreaming while awake leading to the ability to alter reality with your mind.
>>
>>17258917
that gross oversimplification is why you will never achieve CHIM.
>>
How do I get good in Morrowwind? I made myself a dark elf dick ass fighter and everything.
>>
>>17258983
For me I need a a mod to fix leveling and Telvanis state based hp to even consider playing Morrowind with its gay ass leveling system,
however most people recommend a "clean" unmodded first playthrough
>>
File: 1437835154532.png (171KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1437835154532.png
171KB, 300x300px
>>
File: 1424388599373.jpg (38KB, 525x481px) Image search: [Google]
1424388599373.jpg
38KB, 525x481px
I'll point you into two directions.
Look into the creation of Nirn and the disappearances of the Dwemer.
>>
>>17258870
This.

Oblivion had graphics, and skyrim had graphics and dragons. Elder Scrolls Online was a cop-out.

I still play Morrowind all the time, but I find it very difficult to even pick up Oblivion anymore.
>>
>>17258983
Get good in it? Fuck dude. You gotta play that shit. As one character. For a long fucking time. Build up your stats. Morrowind was supposed to be incredibly difficult.

Been playing it for like 13 years on and off because I just get fed up with how difficult it is. Absolutely cannot stand the magicka system...but alas, i love the rest of the game.
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 720x960px
>>17259631
The DragonBorn dlc had some pretty neat lore. I can't find the image but there was a whole selection of posts deconstructing Miraak's mantra that the enslaved repeat, which is related to the godhead.
Here in his shrine
That they have forgotten
Here do we toil
That we might remember
By night we reclaim
What by day was stolen
Far from ourselves
He grows ever near to us
Our eyes once were blinded
Now through him do we see
Our hands once were idle
Now through them does he speak
And when the world shall listen
And when the world shall see
And when the world remembers
That world shall cease to be

Say what you will about Skyrim being shit, but if you actually pay attention to the lore in books and conversations it does pretty well, better than oblivion at least.
>>
>>17260733
>better than oblivion
Oblivion had the best lore in the series. Kill yourself
>>
>>17261186
>>
>>17258228
i once had the same thing in my mind
>>
>>17258228
also the heart of lorkhan isn´t destroyed
>>
Wow this thread makes me wanna play morrowind. But how can I play it?
>>
>>17261186

as a person who loved and played the shit out of oblivion, you're still a 10 year old if you think that
>>
>>17261238
Does anybody here have it and can give it to me somehow?
>>
>>17261238
It's on Steam

> Lore wise

Morrowind, by far, had the best (Most out-there, fascinating) metaphysics, an aspect that was almost entirely missing from Oblivion and Skyrim. (Dagoth Ur is much more than just a powerful magic man living in a volcano trying to build a big golem.)

However, that doesn't mean the other games are devoid of lore. The Mythic Dawn Cult, in particular, is fascinating in a twisted sort of way, although the game doesn't make you look very deeply into it, you have to investigate further into it on your own. (The thing about Morrowind is that it really slapped you in the face with a lot of its more abstract and exotic elements.)

There's some interesting stuff in Skyim , but you kind of have to take a very broad view to notice some of it. (This Elder Scroll, more than any other, pointed out just how much divine power is curiously associated with sound.) The most interesting tidbits are Talos' ascension, the metaphysical reasons for why the Thalmor are such dicks to humans (which have some pretty hefty implications for future games)

I do hope the next elder scroll puts the bizarre metaphysics of the game universe back in the center of the plot, though. For the past two they've been more or less optional participation backstory lore.
>>
>>17261316
How do I upgrade the graphics? I heard they modded it to make the graphics nicer
>>
>>17261245
How did oblivion have the best lore? it was basically just the morrowind library with some new books. same thing with skyrim, so from that argument since it had the most books would you argue skyrim had the best lore?

if you're confusing lore with story, then yeah "portals that demons come out of to kill us all" isn't that amazing
>>
>>17261384

I know there was a big mod around to do morrowind in an upgraded graphics engine but I don't know much about it.
>>
>>17261186
Hahaha
Haha
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Outside of the shivering isles (which I absolutely adore), Oblivion's lore was garbage, it also retconned or just ignored so much that morrowind had introduced to the world of TES. They literally admitted they tried to simplify it so it would appeal more to the Lord of the rings audience. Cyrodil, home of the Imperial city, The empire, a fucking library of elder scrolls and possibly the most important province in tamriel, got turned from a rich jungle into a poor attempt at somewhere from lord of the rings. How anyone can find it underwhelming considering what it should entail is beyond me.

Skyrim, despite the shitty gameplay and rushed story, at least didn't utterly rape the lore with a fucking rake. It actually cleared up a lot of the mess left in oblivion's wake.

But in comparison to morrowind, they both sucked. What we need is a game that explores a new and alien province like morrowind with weird and alien concepts that make the it feel magical again.
>>
File: 1420463555639.jpg (128KB, 620x886px) Image search: [Google]
1420463555639.jpg
128KB, 620x886px
>>17258870
>>17259631
>>17260733
I know I'm probably going to be shit on for this and it isn't really /x/ related, but I love all the games and I think they're measurably better than most other rpgs. They have some problems yes, but every game does and I guess I can overlook the small things and still enjoy the world and all it has to offer. Sorry for blogposting.
>>
>>17261472

I'm hoping the next one explores one of the non-human races, mer or beast

I think they're setting it up for the next one to star the Altmer as the explored race, which could be pretty interesting, the Thalmor, while on the surface are just snobby brutes, actually have very interesting motivations behind their actions
>>
>>17261472
casualfag here reporting for duty, i have a question. what messes did skyrim clean up that were messed up in oblivion? i'm into lore but i haven't read all of it, and haven't read all of the in game lore books nor all the stuff on the wiki
>>
File: 1426461273290.png (70KB, 233x243px) Image search: [Google]
1426461273290.png
70KB, 233x243px
>>17261508
In the lore before Oblivion, I believe in the games manuals for Arena and Daggerfall though I may be wrong, Cyrodiil is only called the "Imperial Province", and it is said it has no native people. It's also a jungle. By Morrowind the Imperials were a race, so that retconned the "no native people" thing, and then Oblivion turned Cyrodiil into a place into a temperate forest. >>17261472
This guys way over doing the whole "utterly rape the lore with a fucking rake".But it's still kind of a big retcon. His entire comment reeks of a /v/ermin honestly, but that's against the point.
>>
>>17261545

There's also some complaints that the game's main mortal villain, Mankar Camoran, blatantly messes up some of the daedric realms associated with the different princes.

However, given that they actually seemed to pay very close attention to the lore for the rest of his cult and conspiracy, some of that may have been intentional, and he may simply know more about the domains of the daedric princes than normal mortals do.
>>
>>17261545

to be fair the way the imperial province was originally described, we would have had to wait decades for it to be accurately portrayed in a video game. It was supposed to be fucking massive
>>
>>17261545
Not even /v/ermin, oblivion also fucked up with the whole akatosh and mehrunes Dagon battle, a bunch of stuff regarding talos and Tiber septim was also cleaned up in Skyrim. Don't forget the mages guild quest where the most powerful sorcerer and lich to ever walk Nirn was turned into just a normal elf you kill in the most boring way possible.

Oblivion was fun as hell, the quests were amazing and there was a lot to be enjoyed, but in terms of lore it was easily the poorest of the series.
>>
>>17261865

Wasn't it also implied within Oblivion itself that this wasn't the real Mannimarco, though?
>>
>>17261871
It was implied that there was something funky going on, whether it was mannimarco, an imposter, or another version mannimarco introduced during the warp of the west plot fuckery was never clarified outside of implications. Either way, the mages guild quest was easily the most underwhelming.
>>
>>17261899

Well the Skyrim mage plotline was far more underwhelming than that one, I felt

> Here apprentice run some errands for us
> Oh shit the archmage is dead
> You're in charge now, for no reason
>>
>>17261918
Shitty as it was, the lore at least made more sense, and we got at least a proper appearance the psijic order outside of books. It had a lot of potential, what with the whole labyrinthine/shalidor/eye of Magnus history and what not, it was rushed just like everything else in the game. It also actually involved a WORLD threatening scenario, considering that the eye of Magnus is essentially a toolbox Magnus used to shape the world, which an and planned to use to realize the altmer's dream of destroying/being free of mortal existence.

I wish we could have got a better look into things like the auger of dunlain, what the eye of Magnus actually was (it's been even speculated that it's related to the KINMUNE due to its location) and more fleshed out characters.
>>
>>17258228
>In ancient days there were numerous gods walking upon earth. I seek to uncover that ancient power. Please point me in the right direction.
I know the power you speak of. Where did I last see it...

Ah, yes. The time of creation. When the world was new and possibility was truly endless. Even now, it still sprawls without end. You can't recreate the atmosphere, but you can revive the feeling. You'll need a strong sense of your truly elemental nature.
>>
>>17261545
Actually talos turned cyrodill into what it is today because when it was a huge jungle it was inhospitable by most.
>>
File: 1451196483467.png (327KB, 1490x2210px) Image search: [Google]
1451196483467.png
327KB, 1490x2210px
>>17260733
>>
File: 1441320049640.jpg (187KB, 498x558px) Image search: [Google]
1441320049640.jpg
187KB, 498x558px
>>17262674
>tfw more interested in and understanding of TES metaphysical concepts than real history and proper occult literature
>>
>>17262508

Ah yes, the huge inhospitable jungle. It reminds me of my own rancid genitals.
>>
>>17263018
Creativity: 1
Reality: 0

Checkmate God.
>>
>>17258228
I explored your mom's asshole, it's about just as deep
>>
>>17263025
I laughed too hard at that.
>>
This thread is so subliminal, but I can't quite put my finger on the true message. Perfect abstraction.
>>
>>17263108
>claims that have tons of evidence
>>
I... I miss Everquest. Nothing will ever bring back those warm and fuzzy feelings and no game will ever complete such as my beloved EQ. SIGH. Just being honest, guys.
>>
>>17261316
>Dagoth Ur is much more than just a powerful magic man living in a volcano trying to build a big golem.
Way better end fight than Skyrim too. It was some Tolkien level crazy shit.
>>
>>17263175

I thought the end fight of Skyrim was pretty well done. Disappointingly easy, yeah. But running through the land of the dead, even coming across some of the people you've killed, while Alduin swoops down through the fog to devour their souls, and then standing with the greatest Nord heroes of history to fight against the dragon mean to devour the world was pretty cool.
>>
>>17258228
bump
>>
bump'n
>>
File: 4 weeks.jpg (16KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
4 weeks.jpg
16KB, 360x360px
What is the Dragon Break?
>>
>>17266198
Time splits off from a point and takes on multiple parallel paths. That's how we explain the ending of Daggerfall, and how it had multiple endings.
>>
>>17266459
Can someone who has a clue explain it?
>>
>>17266478
Basically at the end of Daggerfall you have the option who to give this super awesome existence-altering gem to whoever you want. Give it to Mannimarco, he rises to godhood. Give it to the Orcs, they fight and win against the Empire and become sovereign. A bunch of different endings, all of which are made lore-plausible by labeling it as a Dragon Break.
There was another Dragon Break during the Battle of Red Mountain, with different time lines having the Tribunal killing Indoril Nerevar, having them not kill him, it's weird.
It's basically a way of looking back at your games and justifying your inconsistency with new-found lore.
That said, it's still fucking awesome.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 360x270px
>>17266478
I think I'm getting one right now.
>>
>>17259639
This. My first time playing I literally put 80 hours into it before I realized, or remembered, that there was a main storyline.
>>
I remember as a pre-teen playing my very first playthrough of Oblivion. And holy crap was it ever special to me: the adventuring, the AI system (I was a kid ok) was awesome and the leveling felt cool -- I felt my character get stronger and stronger. There was so much to do, especially for someone like myself who hadn't played much games like that before. The lore, to me, at least was great -- it lacked some things looking back -- but ultimately it held close to the 'heroic journey' though there was nothing especially spoopy about it
>>
smoke meth and stay up for 3 nights without sleep then smoke heaps of weed until you become psychotic, then discover your hidden power
>>
>>17266459
>>17266478
>>17266515
Very, very rough summary.
The entirety of the Elder Scrolls universe takes place within the Godhead, a sleeping entity. The universe is it's dream. Basically, when something fucky happens, the Godhead notices. If too much funky shit goes on in the dream, the Godhead may notice that it's a dream, and stop dreaming it properly, ending "reality". This is why CHIM has certain limitations as to how much shit they can accomplish - you can go as far as Tiber Septim changing the landscape of an entire province or Vivec flooding the entirety of Morrowind + giving everything on it Waterbreathing (to fuck up Tiber's Imperial invasion of Morrowind, since Vivec couldn't beat Tiber straight up)

Take the activation of the Numidium at the Battle of Red Mountain. The Numidium is basically the manifestation of "NO."
When activated, what's the first thing that affects this walking hulk of "NO"? The laws of time and space. The Numidium said "NO" to time and space.The Numidium broke time and fell out of the universe into a pocket dimension.

The "super-awesome reality-warping gem" in Daggerfall is the Mantella, which powered the Numidium.

The time god, Akatosh, is a dragon. Female dragons are known as Jills. Jills haven't appeared in-game, but their job is to fix timeline errors, like these, which are known as "Dragon Breaks" (because you broke the Dragon of Time). When time and space break, alternate timelines intersect and parallel universes overlap. Every "ending" happened simultaneously, including the self-contradictory ones. Especially the self-contradictory ones.
>>
File: Jeweled Tree of Paradise.jpg (45KB, 432x349px) Image search: [Google]
Jeweled Tree of Paradise.jpg
45KB, 432x349px
>>17267094
>The entirety of the Elder Scrolls universe takes place within the Godhead, a sleeping entity.
Stopped reading there so I could thank you for your time and your efforts before there could ever arise a possibility to change my mind and withhold my gratitude
>>
Does anyone have a good tl;dr for what C0DA explains? I used to frequent /r/teslore before its release and took a break and went back and nothing makes sense anymore
>>
>>17258228
You know, if you have the aptitude, you should join the mage's college in winterhold
>>
>>17267094
Yeah, I was dumbing things down for non-lore-buffs. Didn't really want to get into detail with CHIM and the Godhead.
>>
So from people who know it well, where's a good place to go to get into tes lore?
>>
>>17267155
Reddit.com/r/teslore desu
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.