[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain the Ego to me and why new aged types are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

Can someone explain the Ego to me and why new aged types are so obsessed with killing it?

From what I understand. there's nothing inherently bad about the ego at all and it's part of our role to see ourselves as at least partially individualistic. I think that falling to some of the normal human tendencies creates a more interesting life and world, with the death of the ego making life boring. I have a few questions.

>Can someone meditate and intentionally keep the ego?

>Can someone explain ego death to me like I was a child? What is it like before and after.

>If someone loses ego, do they still feel emotions and still find what they found before fun?

>Is it even real?

I have some other questions especially since I feel like a zombie after meditating deeply once and it hasn't gone away for weeks. I want to meditate and be more in the moment but I don't want to turn into a hippie.

Also Meditation General
>>
>>17250918
It's easier to have sex when your cultists don't have ego.

Ego death is misinterpreted and is a meme now.
>>
>>17250935
How is it misinterpreted and a meme?
>>
It's a roundabout way of saying be humble, not being selfish, self centered, or smug.
>>
>>17251103
Isn't selfishness healthy to a degree? There's such a large emphasis on helping other people that there's a lack of people helping themselves. No one talks to themselves in a positive light any more out of fear of sounding deluded or cocky, like we're bred to minimize ourselves or our achievements.

I'm not saying to be cocky or condescending, or not not be charitable at all, but isn't killing the ego just killing a part of what it is to be human? Is is really a spawn of evil like they say? What's wrong with having a self identity grounded in reality?

From what I've heard it's like shifting from being a player in a sports game to becoming a spectator. Both are enjoyable in their own way, but isn't being part of the game the most exhilarating?

I feel like my grasp on this may be incorrect. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?
>>
>>17251121
Right it's about some balance. Nobody kills the ego permanently. If they say they have, that is their ego speaking.
Ego death is an experience where yes you are not the player, you are the crowd but not a single supporter you experience the teams, the stadium the game.
So IMO you strike a balance between looking out for your own survival but you realize you are not simply a single entity but the entire universe. Seems like an egotistical goal itself, so approach it sincerely.
Go ahead gurus and correct us. It's not an official explanation and there's surely better but that is mine.
>>
You're misinterpreting it. This age is shoved with glorification of the ego, and mindless destruction of the self. We see it in music, movies, social media. No one believes in themselves, portraying the role of an asshole, to do battle with the ego of others. Reason being there are many failing relationships amongst individuals, due to abandonment, due to deceit and disrespect for one another.

It makes them easier to conform, and easier to manipulate, when the circle outside of the ego we come to know as the self is severely lowered, and in return, that recognizance is poured into the ego, making that circle overcome any definition of who a person may really be. Unhappiness, depression, anxiety, fear, stress, anger, you get where this is going, hopefully.

It is largely why there is so much darkness looming inside everyone, for they forgot the self, and the soul.

>Come to know thySELF
>>
File: Demiurge-Image.jpg (192KB, 640x547px) Image search: [Google]
Demiurge-Image.jpg
192KB, 640x547px
>>17250918
I'll explain it to you in a dream that I had, no fuck that, a fucking vision. Took a medication called vistaril. I was in an old Mormon fort appending a grave danger, the tension in this fort was palpable, that being said it grew it astronomical heights. My little brother, whom has an extremely high ego, turned into a demon which whose height was well over a skyscraper. My father, with a very big ego, but nothing compared my my younger brother, dressed up in warlord clothing and started joking around. Suffice to say, my little brother crushed him with his foot. After this, a nuclear blast went off and all seven horses of the apocalypse came, then I was transported into the abode of my psychiatrist's wife. I did not see her and she did not speak. Their was a piece of paper with numerology on in, and I kept trying to point to it, trying to find the hidden clues in numerology. She didn't say no, but she kept shaking her head, I awoke then flushed the rest of the pills down the toilet. Ever since, I've learned to not push the ego's of people, It is a slow process however.
>>
File: Wizard.jpg (224KB, 600x830px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard.jpg
224KB, 600x830px
>>17250918
>>17251213
Please, excuse my spelling errors, but hopefully you get the message.
>>
>>17251189
This guy gets it lol
>>
Selfish is a misused word. Looking out for yourself, caring about yourself, improving yourself, tearing yourself, aren't selfish. Selfish is doing that consciously at the cost of others.
>>
>>17251189
Can you repost that with smaller words and not so many run on sentences?
>>
>>17250918
Check out Out of Your Mind, by Alan Watts.
Shit, everybody should. Explains the concept of ego perfectly.

Of course, you still retain normal human emotions, identity, etc. An ego-less individual simply understands that they (and everybody else, fundamentally) aren't just a "poor little me" trapped inside a decaying bag of bones which is put upon by the entire universe. Instead, they realise that they ARE the universe, in that they are just a part of the process as a whole.
Like apples grow on a tree, the universe "peoples"..

This is a run down, and I'm going to sleep now. If you want to look further into what I mean, download and listen to Out of Your Mind, you can find it on any torrent site. Mr. Watts gives a fantastic description of ego. Be wary of YouTube snippets though, his stuff isn't intended too be consumed in the way fast food is.
>>
If you want to experience complete ego-death, take an 8th of shrooms. If you want to reach enlightenment, their are innumerable ways to do so, the choice has ALWAYS been up to you. This goes for EVERYBODY
>>
Getting rid of ego is all about losing the false you.
One is to search for inner them.
The voice of reason if you would.

Ego clouds, corrupts and kills reason.
It is the sense of the oneness, separateness that we should strive to kill.
Ego makes all fight for the same thing.
When it it would be better for the voice of reason to reign.
So that man might work together to achieve our goals instead of destroying ourselves.
>>
Did you ever watch Evangelion?

That big orange sea of LCL that everyone turned into at the end? That was everyone having ego death, and humanity ceased to be comprised of individuals. We just all turned into tang.

Everyone experienced the same thoughts, and had the same emotions, and the same memories. Everything about everyone was shared with everyone, and everyone was accepted for it.

That is ego death. When you can no longer use the concept of "I".
>>
>>17251232
So you're saying don't listen to the YouTube snips while driving?
>>
>>17251229
tl;dr the self is outside the circle of the ego, the soul is outside the self, our generation is focusing on dissolving the self and infatuation with ego, people are assholes or because of instilling god complex and/or influencing people with the idea to embrace not the self, but the ego, tiniest circle of our intelligent design.
>>
Being egocentric is rejecting God, because there's no Ego. There's connection between the soul and God.
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>17250918
He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness
and to walk humbly with your God?

The reward for humility and fear of the Lord
is riches and honor and life.
>>
File: Picture-283.png (363KB, 579x431px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-283.png
363KB, 579x431px
The reward for humility and fear of the Lord
is riches and honor and life.

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."
>>
ego cannot truly die otherwise we wouldnt even be able to recognize our selves in the mirror

the ego merely suffers death like transformations that purifying making it more like the true self within, with each "death"

ego death happens more than once. you dont just lose your ego for a moment and then become enlightened.

you have do it over and over, each time refining your ego and personality.
>>
>>17250918
The ego is who you think you are, the I, you think that somehow you are different from everybody else, while in reality we all suffer the same and wish to be loved. killing your ego is being able to kill your passions and desire for this "I" that you call yourself,
>>
File: 0415___8ytbWYt.jpg (50KB, 322x279px) Image search: [Google]
0415___8ytbWYt.jpg
50KB, 322x279px
Ego is a tiny part of you that recognizes itself for the whole you. It's that voice that tells you who you are among a group. It's the ego that is pleased by compliments. It's also the ego who is offended when your space (wether it be your personal physical space or your mind's space) is threatened. Ultimately it's the ego that thinks he's hot stuff and don't realize that everyone's ego thinks the same thing.

Ego is linked to territorial struggle and your role among a group. It's really a somewhat evolved primal trait of all human beings that often lead to discord and destruction. Because ego is egoïstic and does not see anything else but itself.

If you understand that you can modulate it and learn to make choices that benefits everyone rather than you only. Read Prometheus Rising for more informations. You'd notice this society is promoting ego rather than attempting to suppress it. Can you guess why?
>>
a
>>
>>17252232
Each time it happens it's like becoming a newborn baby
Very hard in a world where you're always in demand
I have this fear that every time it happens it'll come out more warped than the previous iteration, so many ideas floating around and they just get soaked up like a sponge
>>
>>17251426
Even better - download the complete series of lectures and listen to that while driving.
>>
>>17250918
The attempt to kill the ego is ironically one of the most egomaniacal things I can think to try and do.

What new ages are trying to do is to find Tao (The Way) without knowing exactly how it works and not being willing to put in a few minutes to read about it.

So instead they try and kill the ego by doing nekkid yoga. The problem is they don't understand what the ego is, but associate it with males, therefore ego is bad.

TLDR: Because they're shallow shitheads that are trying to get laid and make people praise them.
>>
>>17252232
Thank you, that sounds like a better way to put it.

>>17253944
That sound right too, thank you
>>
>>17251254
That sounds horrible.
>>
>>17250918
>I think that falling to some of the normal human tendencies creates a more interesting life and world, with the death of the ego making life boring.
Have you ever actually tried it? Then shut the fuck up. Take DMT if you really want to understand why.

>Can someone meditate and intentionally keep the ego?
No. You can't hold onto something that doesn't exist. What you CAN do is give yourself a fake cognitive bias because you're afraid to lose a thing that was never there to begin with.
>Can someone explain ego death to me like I was a child? What is it like before and after.
There once was a man. Then he realized he was a man. Then he realized he was a man even if he had no desire to be a man. Then he was a man.
>If someone loses ego, do they still feel emotions and still find what they found before fun?
Yes. It's not depression you ignorant fuck.
>Is it even real?
No. But people lust after nonexistant things all the time. Letting go of the thing that makes you you is a hard thing because the idea of you isn't actually what makes you you. You were already you, but in the turmoils of life, you forgot that and started to think you need to force yourself to be you in place of just naturally being you.

It's like Yoda said: There is no "try." Don't be you; you already are. Just be.
>>
>>17254865
Just because you acted like a condescending fag in the first sentence I'm not going to read the rest of your bullshit.

I was asking a question out of curiosity since I'm not getting great answers from anywhere else. So why don't you do everyone in the world a favour and fucking hang yourself.
>>
It's the piece of you that believes it has to control to live. It's also the piece of you that will lie to get something you think you need to have. Because of these things the ego becomes a magnet for satanic energy. That's why you need to learn to think with your spirit, to come into contact with universal intelligence.
>>
>>17250918
Its been around for years in Buddhism so I would not say its a new age thing and in kabhalalalalala workings they try to keep the ego but also try to make it connect properly with the rest of the whole mind body soul bit
>>
>>17254865
>guy has a legit point about the nature of life/the ego
>'just shut the fuck up and take drugs, then you will understand everything man'

Just dropped by to point out that you're a giant faggot.
>>
>>17251189
This.

Also, >>17251121 is complete and utter codswallop.

Everyone is human, and everything everyone decides to do is human. Choosing to be righteous or not or self-centered or not are both human. This is something that selfish assholes tell themselves to continue being useless to everyone but themselves.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
>>
>>17250918
Read Bhagavad Gita, As It Is
>>
>>17250918
This is a long but beautiful and fascinating article about a man who escaped into self imposed isolation for 27 years. Here is, to me, a perfect explanation of at least one type of genuine ego death. I had this myself living in a similar situation, although mine was far less isolated, criminal, life threatening or long (only about two weeks.)

http://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit

Chris became surprisingly introspective. "I did examine myself," he said. "Solitude did increase my perception. But here’s the tricky thing—when I applied my increased perception to myself, I lost my identity. With no audience, no one to perform for, I was just there. There was no need to define myself; I became irrelevant. The moon was the minute hand, the seasons the hour hand. I didn’t even have a name. I never felt lonely. To put it romantically: I was completely free."

That's especially true if things like survival are constantly a conscious and immediate concern. One dials back the philosophy and lets the lizard brain do a lot more of the conscious thinking.
>>
>>17257394

The problem with that is that humans are pack animals. We are essentially designed to function in a group, a tribe. A hiearchy is always present in a group even if it's in a stage of constant flux. I see ego as function in our brain software to deal with our position in the group. That's all. You shouldn't be a slave under it and be able to recognize it for what it is, but you neither want or will get rid of it completely. To the best of my knowledge no actual buddhist traditions teach to "kill" the ego permanently, that's only a new age interpretations of their teachings.

It's the easiest thing in the world for a introvert like me to be present and "one with the universe" in solitude. All that peace you are feeling in isolation from other humans mean jack shit when you are re-introduced into society. All that happened to this guy was that he became a weird loser with no social skills. Straight up. The real challenge is to feel the same presence and ease IN society, not outside of it.
>>
>>17257441
Exactly what i'm looking for
>>
>>17254865
You are a retard
>>
>>17254865
Hurr durr just smoke dmt breh XD, You disgust me... And this comes from a south american guy with multiple ayahuasca experiences
>>
>>17253897

I second this.
>>
>>17257394
Or one literally sees how they connect to the bigger picture, on a literal, not a symbols on erlectrified screen sorta way.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.