[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

East is east and west is west.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (378KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
378KB, 1200x900px
Rudyard Kipling wrote "east is east and west is west, and never the twain shall meet." A bit strong, perhaps, but he didn't live in the era of globalization.

Be that as it may, I have a strong and perhaps slightly irrartional dislike of attempts to blend Eastern and Western mysticism and eaotericism. Yes, in many ways they take you to the same place. Yes, there have probably been crossovers like Hindu "Gymnosophists" traveling to Hellanistic Alexandria to teach yoga, or Greco-Buddhist encounters during Alexander the Great's time in Bactria, or the Manichean scroll they found in a Japanese monestary a few years ago, or literally everyone using the same zodiac out of ancient Mesopotamia. Yes, I accept these basic historical precedents and I'm not claiming there is zero porosity or exchange between east and west.

That said...I really dislike hodgepodge east-west eclecticism, like people trying to map the kabalah onto the I Ching, or Buddhist metaphysics mishmashed with dark-age European "wizards n' sheeeit."

It just reeks of new-agey dabbling and short attention span shallowness, where you toss the surface manifestations of all these complex systems together while ignoring the depths of all. It's got that "if you try to do everything you end up doing nothing" feel to it. Just pick a single path and stick with it. Know what I mean?
>>
>>17204619
>Yes, in many ways they take you to the same place.
They don't.
>the same zodiac out of ancient Mesopotamia
Go on.
>Know what I mean?
Innately. Unfortunately, nobody does this. It's clear you're trying to shitpost in my unique direction without a clue about my actual philosophy. You've fallen for the samefag trap pretty hard.
>>
>>17204619
too bad there's no lighting in that book utopia
>>
>>17204619
I suddenly realize I need more books
>>
>>17204619
>Eastern and Western cultures will never merge seamlessly
>prejudices 4eva
>>
>>17204619
I think I might have enough books to make this. Downside is that I can't read them if they make up my fort.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.