[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone else an atheist here? how do you deal with the no comfy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

File: 1385602327110.gif (650KB, 499x699px) Image search: [Google]
1385602327110.gif
650KB, 499x699px
anyone else an atheist here? how do you deal with the no comfy eternal afterlife with your family and friends?
>>
>>17194586
I'm agnostic at best, but I think the answer to your question is "make the most of the time you have here".
>>
File: bloodborne.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
>>17194586
I berate others for their faults and give as little of myself as I possibly can, so I will be strong in my old age
>>
File: IMG_20160106_123128.jpg (137KB, 1269x1276px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160106_123128.jpg
137KB, 1269x1276px
In bleak darkness that I won't be able acknowledge due to the lack of consciousness
>>
Deist here. I just try to enjoy life; how hard I believe or disbelieve has no affect on the universe.
>>
Its better than believing that you might go to hell
>>
File: Heathens.png (1MB, 700x3208px) Image search: [Google]
Heathens.png
1MB, 700x3208px
You not will get a comfy afterlife
But God still love you.
>>
just say to yourself

shit happens

then take your mind off of it, like watch a movie or vidya

cuz life is shit , and it happened

so why excuse it to yourself?
>>
>>17197067
life is not shit. Why do you think it's shit?
>>
>>17197055
Your god's a bitch.
>>
>>17194586
Im atheist and living eternally with my family is my worst nightmare.
>>
>>17194586
Why do atheists even bother living? I am being serious, philosophically, why bother? If no one is keeping score, why struggle against the meaninglessness of it all? If your just an animal, why not get put out of your misery then put forth the effort?
Cant really understand it myself. If I did not believe in life being a sacred gift, id be murdering and robbing and raping and lying alot more. Why when you can get some much more done with being unscrupulous and duplicitous?

If human life is just a random outcome of infinite dice rolls, why not be as evil as you can get away with?
>>
>>17198045
Life is not only keeping scores.
>>
>>17197889
Not him, but..
Life is truly shit. Being alive, on the other hand..
>>
>>17198056
But the numbers tell a tale. Its just an analogy.
What could you do that is not translatable into math. Its just an analogy, but it is an expressive one.

What else is there?
>>
File: image.jpg (104KB, 600x761px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 600x761px
>>17194586
>>how do you deal

Take enough of pic related to stop thinking about it.
>>
>>17198086
Given that, its self destructive, you are no disproving my point, only prolonging the conclusion.
>>
This thread might be more at home on /his/ /pol/ or /soc/.
>>
>>17198045
>Why do atheists even bother living?
Because life is generally preferable to death. Not for everyone, but for me, certainly.
> If no one is keeping score, why struggle against the meaninglessness of it all?
Well, what humanity does in the grand view may be meaningless, but it sure isn't meaningless to humanity. It certainly isn't meaningless to me.
>If I did not believe in life being a sacred gift, id be murdering and robbing and raping and lying alot more.
Don't you think that says more about you than atheists? I don't do any of those things, because I don't like causing pain to others.
>Why when you can get some much more done with being unscrupulous and duplicitous?
Other than empathy and compassion? Those two things are a big reason why I'm not a criminal or a psychopath. If you lack those things, well...
>If human life is just a random outcome of infinite dice rolls, why not be as evil as you can get away with?
Because I'd rather be good. It really is that simple sometimes. You ask atheists why we should bother living. Why shouldn't we? I'm sorry you don't understand why we are the way we are, I'm just as confused as to why theists need some sort of threat of punishment to be decent people. I don't think that's a very flattering view of religion.
>>
>>17198122

Also just because we're atheists doesnt mean we wanna go to prison.
>>
>>17198122
Awesome, thank you for your answers.

So how do you define good? Why value compassion and empathy? Studies have shown concentrations of psychopathy in the most successful performers in the fortune 500.

How would you refute a psychopath's grandiose self imagine as a superior evolutionary specimen in a post modern world?
>>
>>17194586

Eternal life of ANY sort might as well be Hell.

It's comforting to know that everything will come to an end one day.
>>
>>17198187
>So how do you define good?
Actions that minimize pain and suffering for humanity, at it's most basic.
>Why value compassion and empathy?
Because they foster a sense of kinship and tend to encourage actions that help humanity as a whole.
>Studies have shown concentrations of psychopathy in the most successful performers in the fortune 500. How would you refute a psychopath's grandiose self imagine as a superior evolutionary specimen in a post modern world?
First off, I have no idea what "Superior Evolutionary Specimen" is supposed to mean. Evolution isn't a ladder, it doesn't have a goal in mind. There is no 'Superior' lifeform, unless you define 'superior' as being able to continuously pass on your genes and reproduce. In that case, every living species currently is 'superior' to the extinct ones.
Second, I don't know if I can refute a psychopath's arguments. For one thing, our values are too different to make any headway, and I don't know that anything I say could convince them otherwise. After all, therapists do this for a living, and can attest to how difficult it is.
>>
>>17194586

I agree with Sigmund Freud: Death is the one thing that humans can't imagine, as death means a complete, irrecoverable loss of consciousness... and it's impossible to imagine something without being conscious of it.

Since we can't think about it, we're better off when we don't even try.
>>
>>17198243
I like you anon. Thank you for a rare enjoyable exchange.
>>
>>17198278
Thank you, and you're welcome. Have a great day.
>>
>>17198045
>If I did not believe in life being a sacred gift, id be murdering and robbing and raping and lying alot more.
So you already do those things, but you'd do them more often if you didn't believe? Very interesting.
>>
>>17198265
>implying that's what it means
That's pretty cowardly.
Let me rephrase what you said: wow, those guys are so much better than we are. We might as well not even try.
>fag
>>
I used to use ketamine to cope but i quit.
>>
File: 1Ccs1.jpg (222KB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
1Ccs1.jpg
222KB, 960x638px
>>
File: imgonnawin.png (67KB, 410x312px) Image search: [Google]
imgonnawin.png
67KB, 410x312px
Can I sell my soul to win powerball, /x/?
>>
>>17198916
Selling your soul is just an old just

What it essentially means is that, by selling your soul, you consign yourself to circumstances which will force you to one day do something that you do not want to do,
hence, you suffer, your friends suffer, your children suffer
>>
>>17198045
Well... People are socially co dependant, so it's self preservation not to murder other people over nothing, especially with laws
It's kind of funny and scary at the same time thinking about religious people who feel this way, reminds me of when I was a child and my parents would say santa wouldn't reward good behavior with a reward in mind, only genuine good will
Also people are sometimes as evil as they can get away with, as evidenced in your post where you say you'd do bad things if your good book didn't say they were bad
>>
>>17198802
My widow being a he...
God damn liberal science pushing the faggot agenda
I want a gardener saying I'll be worm food, and I'll transfer my energy into the earth in a non-sugarcoated and new age bullshit type of way
>>
>>17198045
By that logic, why should animals bother living?
>>
>>17197055
well a sofa and pizza seems fine for an eternity
>>
>>17194586
sorry but i swallowed the light pill long time ago.
The wolrd is not about a made up story. All the universe is here for you to experience it. you don't have to wait a reward at the end of your struggle with life. Life is the reward and you better enjoy it.
By accomplishing yourself you rectify yourself and the world. The ultimate goal is to turn everything into light. And we are able to do this because the universe obey our will.
>>
animals lack belief so they are atheist
>>
I didn't want yet another life on top of this one anyway
>>
>>17194586
A bit cold to think about at times.

Though when things are put into perspective, the true gravity of what all is actually here right in front of me right here and right now, it's comforting to say the least.
>>
>>17199458
read the paragraph again faggot, both genders are used to maintain neutrality
>>
>>17194586
father watches you, but viduus removes you.
>>
>>17194586
>how do you deal with the no comfy eternal afterlife with your family and friends?
It sounds like freedom. True, real, freedom. I'd love to hear that that was the case.
>>
>>17199987
But pineapple...
>>
I don't really care about life, all I do is shoot opiates in my veins trying to evade depression

the 'afterlife' sounds like literal peace. nothing can touch or get to you, nothing can bother you, no time, no pain no worries no nothing, there isn't even a you

death is no some state of blackness or even nothingness you go into. rather death literally doesn't even really exist. I just see death as the end of 'this', as in the end of experiencing/being life. death is just life stopping/ending. there's nothing after

I have a negative view of life so this doesn't bother me. life is a burden to be honest. it stopping doesn't worry or bother me.

I tried to even kill myself in the past but I didin't die obviously. I used to want life to end, because I felt it was 'nothing' , as if like a fly buzing around in the distance, not significant, slightly bothersome, just swat it away

the only time that death can be a bad thing for you is while you're living. if you live and die without even knowing what life is, you can never be harmed by death. but because humans understand at least to some extent the future, our own death bothers us, we think, why do I struggle why do I live?

and there is no real answer. all I can think of is life is a byproduct of us avoiding pain. thirst is bad hunger is bad, pain is bad cold is bad not breathing is bad boredom is bad etc etc and so we constanly strive to avoid these things and continuing to biologically live is just a byproduct of this struggle against the pain and misery that constantly strikes and whips you, waiting everywhere to hurt you

does pleasure even exist? I'm not convinced. it's a testament to how bad life really is that the most addictive drugs are painkillers (opiates)

i think to myself, what would a good life be? lets say life was just pop into existence for 1 hour of heroin nod. would this be a good life? why even bother? once it's over it will be as if it never happened. heroin nodding isn't that great
>>
>>17194586
Im agnostic personally but I don't deny the possibility of the atheist nothing after death view. The thing is if that's the way it is you won't know anyway so there's nothing to fear.
>>
>>17197055
I like Pineapple.
>>
File: a3BLZoN_460s.jpg (48KB, 460x613px) Image search: [Google]
a3BLZoN_460s.jpg
48KB, 460x613px
>>17194586
I'm an agnostic because being and atheist goes against my scientifical view of life

How do I deal with the idea that someday I'll cease to exist and will never be able to see people I love again? I try to live my life the best way I can, so only good memories will exist about me
>>
>>17194586
>anyone else an atheist here?
I am

>how do you deal with the no comfy eternal afterlife with your family and friends?
By having a comfy life with my family and friends.
>>
File: 1451300940817.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1451300940817.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>17203126
>>
File: 59310134.jpg (114KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
59310134.jpg
114KB, 400x400px
>>17203126
>I'm an agnostic because being and atheist goes against my scientifical view of life
>9gag
So, you're one if those internet trolls I've been hearing about.
>>
>>17197055
the pineapple is truly the worst part.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.