[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lovecraft Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Lovecract_hastur.jpg (47KB, 253x400px) Image search: [Google]
Lovecract_hastur.jpg
47KB, 253x400px
General Lovecraft thread,
but also I'd like to talk more about Hastur. I recently had a discussion about the worst Halloween costumes to turn into and The King in Yellow came up.
What do you guys think about The King in Yellow? Do you know of any good movies, short films, shows featuring it? Are there any comics out there?
>>
I don't know of any good movies, but there are a ton of good books about the King.
>>
>>17179268
I would love to see an actual play of it made.
>>
Eh, unless someone figures out how to write and stage a play that actually drives people insane, any attempt to depict the actual play would be a disappointment. Like the fakes of the Necronomicon.
>>
>>17179321
True. I feel like it would have to be a black box theatre where everyone except for one person is an actor. So when all the actors begin to act insane the one viewer will think the characters and other "viewers" are going insane.
>>
>>17179298
I really would too!
>>
>>17179292
I've read The King in Yellow (I guess that should be obvious) and Lovecraft's The Whisper in Darkness. What are some others?
>>
>>17179268
First season of True Detective had a light Lovecraft feel I thought. Was very enjoyable and mentions a Yellow King.
>>
David Lynch might be able to do it, Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive definitely have a bit of the King in Yellow feel.

Jodorowsky is definitely crazy enough to do it, but I doubt people would understand it enough to go insane.

Werner Herzog could probably do it, if Klaus Kinski were still alive. Hell, Aguirre: The Wrath of God can damn near drive a person mad.
>>
>>17179363
I will give this a look! I heard True Detective was pretty good on mythos and lore for most things. I was disappointed when Constantine came out and the first episode they shit all over Furfur.
>>17179364
I definitely check these movies out as well! Thank you!
>>
http://www.goominet.com/unspeakable-vault/vault/1/The%20unspeakable/ Found a cute comic of general Cthulhu stuff. You can even go through the archive and see only specific entity strips.
>>
>>17179348
I would start with a short story collection that pulls together a bunch of the classic tales--there is one called "The King in Yellow" and another called "The Hastur cycle" that are both good.

Then check out Joseph Pulver Sr., he's written dozens of stories on the King and Carcosa.

Also, "Cassilda's Song", a collection of stories about the King by women authors.

Finally, I'd recommend "The Road to Hali" from the Unspeakable Oath #1, which you can download for free online (just google it). Awesome interpretation of what Hastur really is done by a guy who was actually going through a mental breakdown at the time.
>>
The Prophet's Paradise is Chambers' best work
August Derleth is a hack

That is all
>>
>>17179268
>Are there any comics out there?

Alan Moore "The Courtyard" and "Neonomicon" but "The Courtyard" was the most related to the King in Yellow

Also, you should read the book, since The King in Yellow is one of the creatures that wasn't created by Lovecraft and even predates the whole Cthulhu mythos universe
>>
A hint, for those seeking the King--the play is not the only work of horror that climaxes with a midnight unmasking.
>>
>>17179419
Boy isn't that the truth. Not only was Derleth a terrible writer who tried to leech off others, he completely misunderstood Lovecraft's writing!

But...he did save Lovecraft from obscurity and publish some of his best works, so I guess I can't be too harsh on him.
>>
>>17179440
if you're refering to a Poe story I think it's one of his best works
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.