[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horror Game Ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 34

File: pt.jpg (48KB, 658x370px) Image search: [Google]
pt.jpg
48KB, 658x370px
What would be the ultimate scary game /x/? How would you go about designing it? What elements must there be to best instill fear in the player?
>>
Not knowing it's a game.
Players need to believe they're actually going to die.
>>
>>17158288
Speaking on behalf of some Anon a while ago,

there was an idea of driving simulator. I'm not sure if you control the car are have like tell tale decisions during it but he described going down a paranormal back road at night where things progressively get spoopier. An example was you see a bunch of kids on the side of the road or something and can choose to keep going or pull up--which would trigger you getting grabbed and pulled out.

It's a rough idea but I really liked it and can only imagine the story he could tell.
>>
There is something very important on the horror games, if something looks so cool it can ruin the experience.

When I played F.E.A.R. 2 it was amazing for the time, the school level was one of the best, the main idea is to be confused on what you see, being nothing or the paranormal. For that you need lots of details on your senses (visual, hearing etc) to bring confusion on your decisions of what is real and what is not.
F.E.A.R. 2 had the problem that, it was so cool at the time that the emotion of being scared could be replaced with fascination.
>>
A game wehere you cant turn back, and will be scary without jumpscares, i mean so scare u have ur adrenaline pumpin, dunno maybe the idea will be someone stalking you, in close distance and you have to run away in woods, stuff like that and you have certain amount of time to do shit, No timer needed i think.'
U kno you get a feeling you´re watched, well it will be good if a game would have something to mock, or replace the feeling.
Thats all for me :P
>>
Multiplayer game. 8.99 on Steam.

Cabin in the woods. Industrial Complex. Canadian Ghost Town. Plenty of isolated maps to pick each round.

5-7 people play as humans of various selected roles. The journalist looking for their next big story, gets camera in their inventory. The lost hunter, armed with shotgun. The /x/phile investigator, has an idol to ward off the supernatural.

All players are randomly dropped off around the edges of the map. You have time to gather resources, search for clues as to what you'll be facing this particular round, and forge alliances with fellow players.

The final player is not human but an entity not of this world. 60 seconds into the match they can float around and cause minor disturbances. A minute or two later they can set minor traps and other scary things around the map. After a few minutes they can take form (customizable) and hunt the human players. With each human kill the entity becomes stronger and unlocks new abilities.

If the entity kills all the humans they win. If the entity is killed/banished then the human who has acquired the most points win. Points are earned from participation in the game world, crafting, damaging the entity, and player interaction.

Thoughts?
>>
>>17158382
horror doesnt work with multiplayer. multiple players ruins the sense of isolation and helplessness
>>
>>17158382
This is fucking gold
>>
>>17158382
>>17158431
samefag
>>
>>17158445
>>17158431
>>17158382
Same faggot too.
>>
>>17158368
I fucking hate these summerfags
>>
Unknowable horror.
Too little of that.
Also more Euclidean geometry.
>>
>>17158382
I like it, but, as the other anon said, multiplayer doesn't work with horror games.
A good idea though.
>>
I think the game should be developed for VR since that's going to be big this year
>>
Silent hill theme and mix of The mist + fallout open world free rooming

>big city/town
>in your small apartment
>watching news that strange stuff is happening around the world
>go outside balcony to smoke
>siren goes of in distance
>shit starting to happen
>can explore everything city have to offer
>make homemade weapons and armor
>>
>>17158634
Multi-player is essential for survival horror, as is a dedicated userbase, because the game will end for the player if he is killed, so a real risk exists
>>
>>17158382

>Cabin in the woods

Had potential when until i relised it wasnt cabin in the woods movie game

You game would be better if humans vs cabin in the woods monsters (like in the movie)
>>
>>17158382
Sorry, but it's not gonna work. Horror doesn't work with pattern. The humans knowing that the monster has a certain amount of time before it can actually attack is gonna ruin all suspense. It would make a great action game though!
>>
File: bestgame.png (46KB, 1097x241px) Image search: [Google]
bestgame.png
46KB, 1097x241px
This was posted a while ago
>>
>>17158288
PT but longer.
>>
>>17158457
Nigger its January
>>
not exactly "horror," but i recently approximated free will enough i can make a game full of interesting npc's
>>
>>17158738
why the fuck did you actually put your email
>>
A game that states its a multiplayer game, but in reality everyone playing with you is a bot that gets progressively creepier as it goes on. It would start saying or doing random things, read your computer and repeat things you've written down or mention people you have information on. they would read your location and start talking about places around you. The end of the game would be them saying they're coming for you and then the game crashes
>>
>>17158389
>>17158634
Honestly multiplayer horror can work, not all fear comes from isolation. Look at the hidden. Its not really that scary but fuck its terrifying when you're running from some invisible fuck with nothing but a gun
>>
>>17158740
its a thing i do, for various reasons.
>>
>>17158758
Riiiight
>>
>>17158767
focus->intent->action
these three fundamental buildingblocks of psychology allow for a web of understandings which work in harmony in the concious mind in order to create personality and personhood in community, allowing for a more immersive population to encounter and explore.
>>
>>17158784
well you contact me at [email protected] then faggot
>>
>>17158732
When all the school agers are on break.
Would it strike your autism less if I called them winter/christmasbreakfags?
>>
>>17158740
Its all these winterchristmasbreakfags, dontcha know
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nk0npoPmQ41rkygkg.gif (252KB, 245x183px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nk0npoPmQ41rkygkg.gif
252KB, 245x183px
>>17158788
you're fun.
>>
>>17158795
Don't listen to him, he's a faggot
My email is [email protected], let's chat
>>
>>17158795
snort powdered glass
>>
>>17158800
>herp derpy derp, he's a derp derpy derp
>my derpy derp is [email protected], let's derp

that's all I can glean from your post you fucking retard
>>
>>17158800
Are emails easy to get there?
>>
>>17158806
You really got me anon, I'm absolutely assblasted right now.
>>
>>17158808
Yeah, got cock.li
>>
File: 6670980147_a77a4bbea6_n.jpg (18KB, 320x222px) Image search: [Google]
6670980147_a77a4bbea6_n.jpg
18KB, 320x222px
>>17158803
>>17158800
haha, delightful.
as a pioneer of literal AI, fantastic to see such harmonious expressions of will!
>>
>>17158819
>he's still putting in his email guys
>>
>>17158809
>nya nya nya nya nya anon, I'm nya nya nya nya nya nya

I bet you smell like pee
>>
>>17158819
My email is actually [email protected]
>>
>>17158819
huff drain cleaner
>>
File: flamenwerfer.jpg (34KB, 398x334px) Image search: [Google]
flamenwerfer.jpg
34KB, 398x334px
>>17158820
ive been doing this for months.
does the makeup of this board really change this often.
i see the shitposters are sweeping to clear out the oldfags for the new kings.
the times are coming.
>>
>>17158826
No wonder why this is the first I've seen you.
All the threads you post in, I've probably hidden for being garbage.
>been here since 08
>>
File: 1444482870181.png (3MB, 10000x10000px) Image search: [Google]
1444482870181.png
3MB, 10000x10000px
>>17158821
How does it feel to argue over literally nothing with a loser online that smells like pee?
>>
A game like the sims where eventually the sims start to realize theyre in a game that you control and get hopeless, commit suicide, leave eerie messages in blood, towns start rioting, etc. except just market it as a ghetto sims clone
>>
>>17158826
the kings are dead. long live the kings. IV jet fuel.
>>
>>17158831
like finding a dime under the sofa cushions
>>
>>17158830
then you must hate some pretty good threads
>>
>>17158382
Love it. I was actually going to post something very similar to this, but with Fleshgaits and Goatmen
>>
>>17158843
Div general, paranormal healing general, tinfoilers and rpfags?
>good threads
>>
File: 1450749752795.jpg (101KB, 1040x704px) Image search: [Google]
1450749752795.jpg
101KB, 1040x704px
One that at times breaking the fourth wall and make me think that the game is cursed or something ...
Or maybe breaking the fourth wall and makes me question all the time of my life playing and waste exposes the emptiness of my existence ...terrifying!!!
>>
>>17158862
thats basically what playing a game with eerie valley ai would be like.
>>
>>17158874
Hey man, why haven't you responded to my email yet?
>>
>>17158875
>asking the important questions
>>
>>17158880
lol
>>
>>17158875
he's huffing drain cleaner
>>
>>17158744
Yesss
>>
I remember a couple of years ago there was a Cracked article on vidya game concepts, and one of them was an open world game where the you could play the whole game without realizing it's a horror game until you start to look around and noticed things, like scratches on a door, someone in a crowd not quite fitting in, etc. The game would gradually evolve into a horror game, not just drop you into one.

[Also, anyone got that PRESSURE screen cap?]
>>
>>17158920
Pressure sort of got made, let me find a link
>>
>>17158920
http://undertowgames.com/barotrauma/
It's okay
>>
File: image_0.jpg (16KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
16KB, 306x306px
>>17158789
Yes
>>
>>17158931
Oh cool, thanks for bringing that to my attention.
>>
>>17158875
i respond to every email i get.
>>
>>17158312
Ocul
>>
>>17158312
Oculus rift and acid will probably achieve the effect.
>>
File: creepiest shit.jpg (69KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
creepiest shit.jpg
69KB, 620x372px
Like this? (creepiest shit i ever see)
>>
>>17158354
the original F.E.A.R and its expansions were spookier imho familia
>>
>>17158920
that sounds awesome
>>
>>17158382
10/10! How to Stream now and sell ur soul for this game
Shittttt anon fuckin gold
>>
what about an /x/ themed ARG, where all you have to do is carry around a deck in your pocket(and potentially wear a shirt if youre a real enthusiast) and in the world you find other people with decks of other themes and have mock battles with them, using powers of various practices and mentalities, old gods being battled by reptilians and magical girls, mechs from the bunkers surrounding the flat earth and all sorts of craziness.
this is the sort of idea i get behind.
>>
>>17159931
Sounds supremely gay
>>
>>17158709
Sounds good but it sounds like a game that would be impossible to balance because maps would probably either give the killer or the mob a big advantage
>>
File: Ezekiel's_vision.jpg (116KB, 417x323px) Image search: [Google]
Ezekiel's_vision.jpg
116KB, 417x323px
>>17159936
so what?
whats wrong with having an actual conversation with someone over a collection of images that are highly important to you as a person?
even if it is a little bit gay.
>>
>>17159931
I like the idea of an /x/-themed game, but I have an idea that's make it better and not as much a bad copy of yugioh or some shit.

First, switch out the cards for files or images in the character's phone or something, like a magic circle of some kind that represents the thing itself. It better reflects /x/ when you really think about it. Second, give the game a mic set that is constantly listening to the sounds the player makes so the noises you make, not your character but you, attract monsters to you.

Hell, if this thread comes up with some more good ideas, I'll try making the game myself.
>>
>>17160043
Okay I realized just now that I misread ARG as RPG. Not my proudest moment. But the idea as an ARG is actually even better, so... Good on you, anon.
>>
File: Pressure.png (2MB, 1599x1181px) Image search: [Google]
Pressure.png
2MB, 1599x1181px
>>17158920
>Also, anyone got that PRESSURE screen cap?

Here you go

>>17158925
hurry up
>>
>>17160102
Right here, senpai
>>17158931
>>
>>17160106
oh, thanks
>>
I had an idea Awhile ago.

Its basicly a horror sandbox game.

You spawn in a world that is randomly Generated. Time period? i don't know. But the world Works on a 2 hour day, 2 hour night system. Mainly wilderness with ruins scattered about. You might find the foundation of an old house, Burned down in a fire. Or a small shrine for a lost loved one. I want the Ruins to be worth exploring and finding the story of these lost people, even if its assuming what happens. Or providing conflicting information. IE a blood splatter on the ground, but ashes and scorch marks Near it, no body to be found. Did this man get attcked, as he dropped his lantern, or his torch? or did he catch fire to a creature as he attacked it. etc etc.

the whole key to this is the Animosity of the situations, while still allowing players to project their own fears onto what they're looking at. They assume the worst in most cases, which is generally what scares them most.

of course, this is only the map of the game...

Players are introduced to this randomly generated world, unable to get supplies unless they find needed tools at these locations, which are also randomly scattered. Once tools are acquired players are then able to start collecting resources to make bases, or defenses.

But the true beauty of this game, and what makes a game scary, is the in-ability to fight back. Always having to run, and never completely knowing.

Mobs spawn into the game upon the first night,(which lasts 2 hours) Typically generated on a proximity bases of other mobs. they don't spawn according to where the player is at, but rather where the player might explore. All mobs are stronger, faster, deadlier than the player, you can kill them but its very very difficult. and you must know their weakness(Vampire, a wooden stake, werewolf silver, etc etc) Except heres the mistake most games make. -cont
>>
>>17160260
They give similar mobs (ie a zombie, and another zombie) Similar AI. Once you know how to defeat one, you know how to defeat them all.

I propose, you have a General race of the mob, well take werewolves as an example. and you give them multiple textures/skins making most you encounter LOOK slightly different. And ontop of that, you give mobs 4 traits. One primary, and 3 sub traits. THIS is their AI. Each trait is written in the games code describing what that mob might do.

For example, well have these few traits.a random generator for each mob could pool out of.

Aggressive
Stalking
Passive
territorial
Attacks with claws
Attacks with teeth
Attacks from above
Afraid of loud noises
Curious.
ETC
ETC

so lets say for this werewolf, the generator chooses Stalking for its main trait, which means this is the default. and for its sub traits it chooses Attacks with claws, Curious, and Attacks from above.

So now you have a creature which is passivly drawn to things you edit in the world, Stalks you before attacking(which is scary in-itself, to be hunted) uses its claws to attack you primarily. and likes to attack from above(in the trees etc etc)

This mob, would be completely different from any of the other werewolves you came across, giving it its own personality. So now before each stand of with a creature, you have to in turn look for its traits, or find out En action. making not only the world Random and mysterious, but each encounter too, also making Meta-gaming near Impossible.

-cont
>>
File: index.jpg (6KB, 281x179px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 281x179px
>>17158288
How about this
i think it would be pretty scary

>wake up in a bed
>look at the clock
>oh shit going to be late for work
>shit and eat breakfest faster then you can say banana
>work hard all day still sore from the fucking day before
>oh look its payday
>hmm 90% of your pay is to "stay alive" for the month
>oh well could be worse
>go home watch tv, masturbate
>go to bed
>wake up
>repeat previous day
>do this untill you die
>game over
>yfw when you got nowhere

oh shit anon gives me shivers just thinking about it
>>
>>17160307
Ontop of each mob being much stronger than the player, the things a player builds are prone to being Navigated or attacked by monsters. (IE if you place a door in the world, theres a small chance the last monster you encountered if it didnt kill you will spawn inside your base, and your door is destroyed.) making it difficult for a player to create fortresses impossible to breach, a stronghold and safety position for the player. This forces the player to always either Adapt a nomadic life, where you explore and avoid creatures and potentially deadly encounters, or stay in one spot, and make sure you never draw attention to onesself, and if you do retain the attention of a mob, you must effectivly hunt it down before it hunts you. and with the possibility of something like a ghost haunting you, the game becomes difficult.

FURTHERMORE mobs that randomly spawn in packs, or encounter eachother, get additional modifiers and work together. IE a werewolf loses its primary slot(keeping is sub AI such as attacks with claws etc etc) and gains a new pack mentality where the Ai gets two slots to say that (once again randomly picking) the mobs try to flank the protagonist. and stalk him. or something like that.
>>
>>17158800
Are you a horse, by any chance?
>>
>>17160378
No, I just fuck them.
>>
>>17160043
>>17160059
the lore would be that you defeat and consolidate denizens of different worlds as you travel between them randomly,
taking two cards from strangers(one your choice one theirs) you beat in exchange for one of your cards of your choice.
as a world traveling bandit, you carry around beacons to bring dimension shifting beings to your aid.
>>
>>17160382
Carry on then.
>>
It needs to be a challenge.

Scariest game I ever played was Alien on PS1. You were ALWAYS 5 bullets away from empty, and life packs were scarce. The Aliens were tough motherfuckers, and were quick.

I used to have nightmares that I was running around looking for ammo and health, while being stalked by shadows. Had to quit playing in the end.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VTL1w7JdKv8
>>
>>17158288

The sense of being pursued and not being able to do anything about it.

Pretty much like in Outlast.
>>
>>17158288
Escape: Catacomb

You are a tourist visiting the french catacombs on what was supposed to be typical group tour. Suddenly you hear a mild hum fill the tunnles, the walls begin to vibrate and portions of the roof begin to collapse. The lights go out and in frenzy the entire group runs, trying to avoid the falling debries. A cave in traps you in a section cut off to the public. Equipted with a flashlight with limited batteries, a camera (with flash), a backpack with limited provisons, and 1 first aid kit, you must move forward and find a way out.
Along the way you encounter riddles and puzzles to solve, but each wrong solution will send you deeper into the depths with a looming realization that something unnatural is stalking you, getting closer for every wrong decision and further with every right one.
You will be tasked to find other members of your tour group, once you encounter them you must decide between helping them, or killing them and taking their backpacks to aid yourself. For every person you help, or kill you will potentially get closer to escaping, or you will get robbed and forced to venture crippled of supplies, so choose wisely.

Every decision you make impacts the progression of the story. Every riddle you solve gets you closer to freedom. Every person you encounter could become a powerful partner as well as bait for the evil that chases you, or the one who uses you as bait.

If you succeed and escape the catacombs, you will find that France has been abandoned and the target of an atomic weapon. The next objective, get out of France alive.

To be continued in the next installment. Escape: France.
>>
>>17160546
Fallout 3. Taking on a king deathclaw with some brokeass lazer pistol. You fucking know you're gonna die. You think fuckit I'll run, so you gtfo outra there, turn round, and the motherfuckers still running up hills trying to eat your broke ass. I've literally an heroed off cliffs trying to get away from those motherfuckers.

Empty vaults were the worst. Walking around for 45 minutes in some dark fucked up vault on your own takes some grit. You actually feel the depression setting in.

>oooo vault 183, I wonder whats in there
>"iiii dont want to set the woooorld.. "
>ahh fuckit I'll go to megaton instead and steal moiras shit
>>
>>17160665
You forgot
>you can stick your cock in a skulls eyesocket
>>
An /x/ game where YOU'RE the monster/ghost/crazy axe murderer, and the aim of the game is to terrorize the fucking city.

Like GTA 5, but you're freddy/slendergoatman
>>
>>17159931
>in the world you find other people with decks of other themes and have mock battles with them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Tj_l4PcPs
>>
>>17160804
basically.
haruhi deck OP SOS
>beast behind all perception
>CLOSED SPACE
>wait, what?
>>
>>17158288
I desperately want more sci-fi horror that doesn't cripple the player.

I just bought a copy the John Carpenter's The Thing game, so I get to look forward to that. However, the market seems way more interested in horror games with no forms of self-defense.

I loved Amnesia, I'll probably like Soma, but I miss games like System Shock 2. In that you could hide, or fight, or lure them into environmental traps, or whatever. If something didn't work then you could just chalk it up to experimentation.

Now, I don't mean Dead Space was GOTY all years, because that series made you feel like a god. Maybe a game with only a handful of enemies, who come back after certain amounts of time? Silent Hill 4 did that and it was pretty well received.
>>
>>17158368
Jumpscares are a fundamental part. You can't have tension-building for 4 hours and no climax. That's just bad form.
>>
>>17158288
Whatever that doesn't fucking base the scare factor on fucking screamers, for fucks sake.
>>
>>17158382
There would have to be secondary objectives for the humans, otherwise the whole forging alliances bit falls flat.
>>
>>17158658
Basically Kairo: The Game?
>>
>>17158660
>hurr durr what is silent hill

People only want multiplayer survival games so they can fuck over their teammates. Every survival game right now boils down to the same formula, except maybe 7 Days to Die. KoS unless the victim is on skype with you.
>>
>>17158843
This is /x/, the best thread currently up is the info dump, and that gets reposted more than anything.
>>
itt - terrible ideas from people who know jack shit about games
>>
>>17161035
I agree. Amnesia was great but wooow there are so many "run and hide"-horror games at this point, people need something else need to rip off.

Why not look back at System Shock 2?
>>
File: woods.gif (164KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
woods.gif
164KB, 600x450px
Something like crazy taxi but out in some haunted woods/desert/mountains.You have to pick up hitch-hikers and drop them off to safety.

Occasionally your car breaks down and you have to get out and repair it.Also the hitch-hikers aren't always what they seem.
>>
>>17161053
>climax = jumpscare
>people actually believe this
>>
A game set in a demonic post apocalyptic world where you have something like a spell that attracts or repels demons.

You're ordered to kill sinners,most of whom are somewhat sympathetic.There actions range from minor things like adultery and homosexuality to more major things like murder and child-rape.

If you kill them the spell wards off larger and stronger demons and you're awarded with a substance to upgrade you're character.If you spare them demons will be more hostile towards you and you get little to no way to level up your characters stats making the game harder.
>>
A well made horror game would play on all five senses, preying on the victims darkest fears. But that's just not possible with today's technology
>>
>>17161064
it's only popular because of how well it works

wether people like it or not, a sudden shocking surprise is a very effective way of scaring someone
>>
>>17158288
A game that takes place in a hospital in some 3rd world country in South East Asia. It starts off showing that you have been on life support and unresponsive for several years. You finally awake in front of your friends, family, and doctors but they all act as if you are still in a coma. It's because you aren't actually awake; well your body isn't.
The game has your disembodied spirit wondering the halls of the hospital. You interact with other spirits in the hospital. Some are good, some neutral, some evil. Some are of other people others are demonic entities that have never walked this earth as mortals. You can see everything that is going on in the hospital too like operations. You can also interact with certain people like a crippled child for example. It's also dotted with abstract and surrealist dream sequences that pop out of nowhere and little by little piece together how you wound up in a coma.
>>
File: 1450974589580.png (99KB, 248x250px) Image search: [Google]
1450974589580.png
99KB, 248x250px
>>17158288
A really well done cthulu mythos based vr game. One that uses tones that can actually induce fear like 18.98 hertz frequencies.
>>
>>17160699
That reminds me, wasn't someone making a /x/ game? I remember seeing progress videos of it awhile back.
>>
>>17158751
I'd play it, but that'd be just entertaining, not scary. See Killing floor, it's gory and pretty spoopy but the slight sense of fear often gets eaten up by being with others player.
>>
>>17158288
A game that you are being followed constantly, not random encounters or set encounters but followed to the point where you cannot stop moving or you'll die, not hurt or driven mad but one touch death.

Its set in a 3rd world village, then it goes into a forest and then into a city.

The twist is the last part of the game the being that's been following you stops but you don't know this, aspects in the game are also deadly so there you are trying to avoid present beings that'll kill you all the while not wanting to stop because of the being behind you.

Its called "run, just run"
>>
Some elements it should generally have are:
>muffled or far off voices/laughter that are completely out of place
>periods of complete isolation in terrifying surroundings, followed by very slight reprieves that still leave you feeling ill at ease.
>If there are EVER any bright, happy, or comforting sights, they should immediately become corrupted and frightening in some way
>have one of these "safe zones" in the game suddenly become a hostile area, preferably when the player is doing something like crafting or saving the game
>any NPCs you meet should by cryptic, unhelpful, hostile, or just as frightened and helpless as you are.

Basically, have your game be Silent Hill 2.
>>
>>17158819
Please stop posting. You're not nearly as deep or insightful as you like to think you are.
>>
>>17160338
I like the idea of each AI having its own traits, but not knowing how to defeat your enemies would probably make the game tedious and frustrating instead of scary.
>>
>>17164481
Rolling for this Shit yo
>>
An /X/ appealing game. Randomly generated everything. Generated season, generated forest, generated player spawns, generated weapon spawns. There would be one creature, flesh gait or goat man. Flesh gait would want to kill someone, and disguise themselves, then lure others away to kill them. The goat man would disguise themself as a random human. They would attempt to fuck with the human players, leading them to commit suicide or kill their group. If the monsters failed to kill off the humans before sunrise, or are damaged enough, humans win. The humans die, creatures win. No health regen, no health bar, no health kits, only weapons. I tried to shorten this while keeping it interesting. What do you guys think?
>>
>>17158339
Actually not that bad. Sometimes having less options (eg. Controlling the direction of the car) and being more simple achieves a frightening atmosphere. I'd like to see a game that requires decision making but is not Untill Dawn
>>
>>17164528
im actually deeper and more insightful than i give myself credit for because of people like you.
and thats the truth.
>>
>>17165317
So like, by admitting that you're probably smarter than you think you are because of other people bringing you down, you are essentially exactly as smart as you think you are because you are aware of it? Do you realize how little sense that makes?

I really feel bad for you. I know a lot of people drop the autism insults a lot, but you really probably are...
>>
>>17164682
Sounds great. Think of some more cryptids though, cause only programming a fleshgait and a goat man would open the door to far too many dlcs.
>>
>>17165339
you're right, a more intelligent individual perhaps would not allow himself to be manipulated into perceiving themselves as less valuable because of the insults of others, but i don't aim to be intelligent, i aim to be sympathetic.
maybe thats my problem.
>>
>>17165398
Holy fuck stop. This is literally the first time in all my years on /x/ anyone has ever triggered me, ever. So congratulations, but stop. Just...stop posting. Holy shit. The pseudo intellectual jargon...does it feel good? Are you preserving your individuality with your fucking email? Have you achieved special snowflake status yet? My god. This is a place for anonymous paranormal bullshit, from ghosts to cryptids to conspiracies to generic discussion. Not a place for you to get off on "changing things up" or "proving your intellectualism". Fuck.
>>
>>17165398
Dude, I have no fucking clue what your problem is.

My guess is autism, or schizotypal personality disorder.
>>
>>17165411
>>17165413
haha.
this started because i had a game idea, and shared it on topic on with a spirit of discussion
stop posting you fucking shitters.
>>
>>17165429
>inb4 horse porn in anon's mail
>>
>>17164552
I mean obviously its characteristic weakness kills it, such white ash(ash?) for a skin walker, or silver for a werewolf. its just a matter of not knowing how the AI would react. is it going to jump at you? or is it going to retreat.
>>
>>17158832
Underrated post
>>
>>17158288

I want one where the player is the haunted house. Scaring the tenants, improving your magic more and more until you can actually kill them, fightin ghostbusters and diviners and priests in the road.
>>
>>17158312
This.

I was thinking about making a haunted house where people go into a basement and then are actually locked in the basement and ignored, and their phones have to be deposited somewhere before entering the haunted house.
The trick is that you have to make it a real haunted house, and then once in a while divert one lonely person to take a different path down into a basement without knowing he's going a different way. Then in the basement, all music stops, the door is shut and locked, and then he is just kept there for 20 minutes, maybe 30. You have to tell them in advance that the house could take up to 40 minutes or so for liability reasons. Just enough so he legitimately thinks he's going to be dead, keep him in there.

Then when there are 5 minutes left in his time, have someone else who was hiding down there in the dark with him but not moving, perhaps hiding under something, jump up and grab him and hold a fake knife to his neck.

Imagine that. 35 minutes stuck in a pitch black basement and all of a sudden out of nowhere someone jumps up, screams and holds a knife to your throat.

They would have to sign a liability form in advance of entering of course, but it would be worth it and most people would sign that kind of thing anyway.

What do you think?
>>
>>17165849
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If I made a haunted house like this would it be legal?
>>
>>17158312
I wonder if an agency like the one in The Game exist in real life.
>>
>>17158288
modify a pokemon game to pretend to "delete" the savefiles when a person saves after capturing some rare pokemon.
>>
A 1st person embalming simulator would be pretty bad ass.
>>
I want a game where you have to get out of bed, go down the dark hallway where the switch is right next to the bathroom and take a piss and run back to bed without the monsters seeing you or getting to you.
>>
>>17158831
Hey! I haven't even commented yet, why you bringing me into this?
>>
>>17163118
Ah, yes. I'm not saying the jumpscares wouldn't exist. A good one is effective and help with the terror and atmosphere, but not when your in constant and permanent fear of them during all the game.
>>
I want a game that takes place in an hotel. We've had haunted castles/houses, abandoned hospitals/asylums, amusement parks, forests, but I've yet to play a good horror game with an hotel setting.
>>
we need more games in the woods. it seems like devs are stuck doing the whole "stuck inside a closed off building" when in fact open nature can feel equally as claustrophobic
>>
File: 1368143742033.jpg (49KB, 608x350px) Image search: [Google]
1368143742033.jpg
49KB, 608x350px
I was just thinken about an idea yesterday. I guess its something that sounds much better on paper than in reality and i presume the novelty would wear of really fast, but anyway.

Its basically the oppsite of >>17158744

Game says its a Single Player game but its actually not. Any kind of genre could in someway create an interesting and spooky scenario with this concept but just for the sake of it now i go with a classic adventure type thing.

Imagine walking down a dark street and all of a sudden you spot a flashing light from one the houses windows. Light goes out and theres a faint siloutte in the window statring at you, which is basically just another player who noticed you walking down the street and thinks its an odd NPC. I think the whole game would work best if every place is its own instance and players could just see other players through windows, mirrors etc.but you cant met the player because the instance would be locked until the player left and vice versa, some kind of hunt and run game. Also all places would save the changes a player did like picking up stuff and moving it around. open doors, lights etc.so even if you two have just been run in a circle, things are different everytime, full of new spooky clues.

I´m pretty sure you anons have even more ideas to spice this up.
>>
>>17158382
Sort of like a mix between No More Room In Hell and Slender gamemode for Garry's Mod.
>>
>>17167900
Need this.
>>
>>17165939
Look up McKamey Manor. If the shit they do there is legal, I'm sure you would be totally fine.
>>
>>17167668
>slenderman
>the woods
>the forest
>kholat

Been done to death.
>>
You only have a spannee, and your innawoods
>>
>>17161035
The whole survival horror/action horror thing is just one giant pendulum. It'll swing back over to your side soon, you just need patience.
>>
are there any horror games taking place in hospitals/asylums besides outlast?
>>
>>17165849
>and their phones have to be deposited somewhere before entering the haunted house.
Just embed a faraday cage within the walls of the house - no signal will get in or out.
>>
>>17168432
There's probably like 200
Silent Hill 2 is the best
>>
>>17158339
Euro Truck Simulator mod idea:

Driving at night while tired makes shapes or shadows start to appear at the edge of the FOV. Continue driving and lights might appear in the woods as you drive past. Drive the back roads and creatures skitter on the boundary of the road.

Drive into the night and you might catch a passenger on your bunk or in the seat next to you, or perhaps a shape chases you in the side mirrors. Oncoming traffic is driven by warped, screaming beings that are not entirely human. The engine gutters out and your lights blink and die. The interior cabin light comes on and you're left to stew in the dim brown light as sounds of scratching and gibbering dance around the truck in the pitch black outside.

You bundle this mod in with something inconspicuous like a paint job or a new wheel design and wait for people to start reporting back what they see at night.
>>
>>17165849
lawsuits up the ass
>>
>>17162616
So basically driving murderers around whilst listening to an Offspring album
>>
File: fantas_13.jpg (80KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fantas_13.jpg
80KB, 1600x1200px
I really like the idea of the unreliable first person where the main character is suffering from psychological confusion, dementia, or psychosis.

I like the idea of you going through a map and seeing things that aren't there or change spots as you go back to it.... it would add a feeling of uneasiness to the player.

Also illogical images would be good too. Like a cinematic with a mirror in the background that may show in a few frames a person standing with their back to a mirror only in the mirror the person is facing you. Really unnerving sights like that.

Also I like the kubrick concept in the shining of an impossible map--- the layout of the map is impossible. Windows looking outside are on walls that shouldn't have windows. Rooms that are bigger than they should be based on the hallways. I think it would really lend to claustrophobia.
>>
>>17167900
I like this concept. You start the game not knowing if the other character you see is thinking on it's own or not... and when it starts making jerky moves like an actual player you get unnerved. Kind of like that Halo ghost player that would show up in mulitplayer games when it wasn't supposed to be there. When the other player kills you that's when you find out it was a real player.

To keep it from getting old (it would because everyone would figure out it wasn't singleplayer) maybe make it difficult to tell if it's an npc or real player.

Perhaps make a code where an npc copies the exact movements of a real player minutes before on a different side of the map but with a similar layout so the npc isn't walking into walls and stuff. No character (cp or actual player) will be titled, and you'll just see them as a black shadow coming towards you.

Perhaps it will be like some twisted hide and seek game where you are running from and trying to kill real players while getting very disorientated by 'ghost' npcs that disappear when you approach them... but mimicking actual movements of other real players

Also maybe ghost npcs will mirror you exactly in certain areas or rooms so you think at first the shadow you are seeing is another person rushing towards you but then you realise it's actually you.

actually kind of makes me a little nervous and sick thinking about it. haha.

I can picture it in a very dark and gloomy map with lots of shadows...
>>
>>17158658
I like this. Big open map like GTA but mist and monsters.
>>
>>17163370
Look up U55, anon.
>>
>>17158288
desu id like to see a house invasion simulator where you can play as either the invader or the victim, in two difficulty modes (liberal and conservative)
>>
>>17158709
>TTT in a spoopy map

done
>>
The most effective way of getting people scared would be to make them unaware they are playing a horror game at all. You would need to manipulate what aspects of the game they would see prior to actually playing it, then let them slowly realize that all of their preconceived notions about what they were getting themselves into go right out the window and they're left in a universe where they have no idea what's going to happen, or how bad it's going to get.
>>
>>17161035
>horror games with no forms of self-defense.
it's hacky, uninspired artificial difficulty

it's 2015 for goodness sake- literally every single person in the nation has a gun in their home, yet for some stupid reason indie shitters keep publishing these shit games where everyone is a british peasant with nothing but a pair of pants with cum stains in the rear

i wouldnt mind a game like swat 4 but things are spoopified
>>
>>17171268
Nah man you wrong. Its 2016
>>
>>17171271
really?

holy fuck i need to go outside
>>
>>17171276
Happy new year i guess
>>
>>17158658
I like the mist idea, imagine a GTA size map, but not being able to see more than 100 metres in front of you. Having shit move through the mist, some to attack you, some just to keep you on edge.
>>
>>17171266

Great, thanks for contributing. Now can we keep the discussion to actually feasible topics before we go completely out the window with unrealistic bullshit?
>>
File: fgm.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fgm.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>17158288
>tfw I still have PT on my PS4 and can play it whenever I want
>>
>>17158740
They're new.
>>
>>17158744
This is perfect.
>>
>>17158784
Shut the fuck up newfag.
>>
>>17158800
You're the cancer that's killing this board.
>>
>>17158819
I bet you wear a fedora you deep motherfucker.
>>
>>17158826
You've never been here before, you make that very clear.
>>
>>17159931
This sounds more retarded than you. Eat shit and die.
>>
>>17165849
Absolutely not, the person might enter fight or flight, his instincts kick in, panics and tries to ebat the living shit out of the "something" that grabbed them and holds a knife to his/her throat.
Of course, it could be plastic knife, but that can kill too. I'd say no objects.

But even then, it's a bad idea, since its extremely prone to accidents.
>>
A game where you are given every opportunity in life only to squander them and live in regret.
>>
>>17160401
You sound like a fucking idiot.
>>
>>17162670
0/10
>>
>>17162600
This.
>>
>>17163358
This is actually a fucking brilliant idea.
>>
File: graveyard.jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
graveyard.jpg
133KB, 600x600px
I've always wanted to make a game involving an old abandoned house at night. The player would only have a flashlight and would experience creepy sounds like creaking and shit first, but then they begin to hear faint, indecipherable talking, laughing, crying, footsteps, thumps, etc.
There would be no music whatsoever nor would there be jumpscares, just an experience that's meant to instill dread and primal fear of the unknown/unseen.
I would want there to be ghosts in it, but they wouldn't pursue the player, they would wander just outside the player's flashlight range and appear randomly. I would put heavy influence of faces since that would be the most terrifying thing you could see unexpectedly.
To give an example, imagine the player hears faint, muffled sounds in the next room and goes to investigate. When they enter the room, the sounds stop, they look around, and see nothing at first, but when they turn to leave, they happen to notice in the top corner of their screen a faint, ghostly face staring right at them that then fades away. Like I said, no music or scripted jumpscares, it's just genuine, panicked, sudden realization that something's been there the whole time.
The only problem is I don't really have a goal in mind. I want to avoid some rehashed indie horror game mechanic like Slender (collecting) or FNaF (stationary survival). Maybe make it a "Ghost Hunting Simulator" with an EVP system? IDK, I'm just throwing shit out there.
>>
>>17165317
No you're not. You put your email on 4chan, you're an autistic faggot. Kill yourself.
>>
>>17165398
Jeez. You must have some pretty severe head trauma.
>>
>>17165429
Kill yourself.
>>
>>17171393
I also had this other idea for a game which involves waking up in a decrepit hospital chained to a bed. You have to break out of your bindings and try to escape, but there are these demonic creatures that chase after you. When they catch you, they stab you, the player loses consciousness and spawns back in the starting location. Each time they get you, the game gets harder: more bindings to break out of, more, deadlier enemies, blocked routes, etc.

Anyway, the twist is that the player is actually a fucked up mental patient that is perceiving his surroundings as a nightmarish world. The bindings are him being strapped in bed, the nurses are these demonic creatures and the "stabbing" is the patient being sedated and placed back in his room and on watch, hence the tighter security.
>>
>>17171367
The scariest thing we humans face is reality.
>>
>>17158457
Well that's your problem, isn't it?
>>
>>17171433
>the twist is that the player is actually a fucked up mental patient that is perceiving his surroundings as a nightmarish world.
oh my, how original

not
>>
>>17158830
I never understood why people think it's a bragging point that they've been wasting their life on 4chan longer than you have.
>>
File: 1400839781456.jpg (31KB, 279x284px) Image search: [Google]
1400839781456.jpg
31KB, 279x284px
>>17171308
>mfw I realise future generations will miss out on it
>>
>>17158862
Like Eternal Darkness?
>>
>>17158920
Problem is, developers who put a lot if money into games usually can only make decent profit nowadays if it's something people are gonna play over and over and buy new DLC for or something like that. Maybe that's why Silent Hills got canned. It's a shame, really, but horror games that offer a novelty experience won't have as much of a replay factor as some multiplayer shooter.
>>
>>17170458
Silent Hill 2 did impossible maps
>>
How about a open world multiplayer game, except the way it works is the player you control is an unstable lunatic in a post apocalyptic world who hallucinates other humans as monsters so the basis of the game is to survive as long as possible, hunting and fighting these monsters, but the twist is the "monsters" are actually other online players trying to survive the apocalypse and have the same problem as you mistaking humans as monsters, so to them youre just another kind of monster. As you progress in the game you become stronger and level up for killing other "monsters" and as you do this you become a different monster yourself, starting off as something weak like a chupacabra or something and work your way up to like chutulu or some shit. Ofcourse you can play with friends, you just friend them ingame and they become visible as a human too you, its just a rough idea
>>
>>17171503
>ironic observation
>followed by "not"
What is this, the 90s?
>>
File: 1450895342364.jpg (121KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1450895342364.jpg
121KB, 1600x1200px
I think it's within the realm of possibiliyy to have a game read your saved game data and use it in game via random allusions or having there be copies of games you play in the main character's room. It'd be scary if the killer taunted you with information that was personalized like that.
>>
a game where you develop a quite deep appreciation and love for the characters, a bond that you are forced to break later.
>>
>>17158832
This.

Also really, any game that breaks the fourth wall in any way and starts fucking with your computer/console is a good place to start.
The key to making a good horror game imo would be to make the players themselves feel like they're the target of whatever otherwordly entity wants to wreak some havoc.

As for an actual game idea, start the game off as an entirely different genre (maybe not cutesy stuff though. Something along the lines of an action game, so that you can put an heart attack warning without people getting suspicious), with things getting gradually creepier, showing hints that something isn't right (maybe even hide spooky stuff in the Terms & Conditions and shit). If you play the game normally, nothing happens. Maybe there's still a faint sense of dread, but you get to the ending and walk away satistified.

But if you follow the hints, maybe even going out of your way to check the game files themselves/glitching out of the gameworld, you get to a seemingly innocent easter egg that tells you to do something specific and then continue on your merry way. Maybe even get an achievement so that the player doesn't think much of it. Then, when you shut down/restart your computer, everything starts getting weird.

Wallpapers changing (sometimes with weird messages in different languages), the date changing along with the time, sometimes getting stuck, some files become hidden, general mindfuckery. And then the game starts interacting with the player even when he's not playing, with error messages, random text files on the desktop and internet pages opening by themselves.

And then I got nothing. You'd have to make a "front" game that was actually good, so as to attract players, and then exploit the internet itself. People nowadays love hidden stuff in videogames, from easter eggs to unused content.
Get a few players that start digging through the game files, and then wait for them to talk about what they found...
>>
File: 1444006134778.jpg (223KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1444006134778.jpg
223KB, 1600x1200px
>>17158288
Ive said my idea before and gotten mixed feedback
>set in the 20's
>1st person
>you investigate paranormal killings (werewolves, vampires to more obscure cryptids like skin walkers or voodoo zombies)
>youre a former police detective, partner was killed by a werewolf and you were sought out by these paranormal investigators/hitman
>you investigate the crime scene, gather evidence in the LA noir, detective style set up as a PI
>when you gather evidence you get a choice of 3 suspects to investigate and follow
>when you think you have the person you organize a hit and kill them in a variety of ways
>catch is you can kill the wrong person, and the monster kills again
>each time you kill the wrong person you loose public support from the locals and police, you also loose the money you'd be paid to upgrade cars weapons or
>total open world, you can also change the weather for each mission
>starts out in New Jersey but you travel to cities like NYC, up north to logging towns and down south to bayous
>twist: you can play as the monster for each kill and set up the crime scene how you want
>>
>>17172240
that would be really cool
>>
>>17158288
The best thing to do is to not show the scary thing, but allude to it for a long time before the reveal. Also, don't use jump scares. They're cheap and only good for making people pee themselves quick. If you want to scare someone good, use a slow crescendo to the horror. This is what makes games like P.T. so good. It uses subtle horror. More good examples would be the Silent Hill games and Bioshock. Environment is everything in a horror game, especially if you want to establish a good scare. People find things that are old and broken down scary, so incorporate that into your game. Walking through the level should be almost like sightseeing, a feast for the eyes and ears.
>>
File: 1435949334225.gif (955KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1435949334225.gif
955KB, 360x360px
>In NYC
>Start in the subway
>Terrorist attack with some biochemical fuckery
>Have to get out into subway tunnel
>Only have cell phone/lighter/matches to light the tunnels
>The more exposed you are to the chemical the more crazy shit you imagine that isn't actually there
>Other people you encounter are all exposed and do insane things
>Goal of the game is to escape NYC
>All of city an open world map
>Food/Water/Sleep mechanics
>Injury/first aid mechanic
>[spoiler]Turns out all the ways out of the City are blocked and attempting to escape gets you killed[/spoiler]
>[spoiler]Only point of the game is to see how long you survive[/spoiler]
>>
>>17172282
So it's like living in New Jersey?
>>
>>17172294
Basically, but with a larger percentage of the homeless being on fire.
>>
>>17160338
really this could work as single player or multiplayer
>>
>>17171393
Chris Im getting scared and Im in a well lit bright open building
>>
>>17160315
kek
>>
>>17158288
I'm leaning towards a futuristic game where humanity has developed far enough to investigate the 90% of the ocean we haven't discovered yet. I'd imagine that there's some scary shit down there.
And I'll probably be shot to mention this but no matter how mediocre you consider Undertale, the fourth wall breaking it pulled off would be great for a horror game if incorporated correctly.
>>
File: creep.jpg (141KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
creep.jpg
141KB, 960x960px
>>17158288
some kind of open MMO sandbox that takes the elements of halo's forge and horror games atmosphere like resident evil, silent hill, ect

there is no story, most people who buy games now want nothing but team death matches anyway so why waste the time and money on that when you can put into versus matches.
>you have several locations to pick from
>city, suburbs, Forrest, small towns
>you can pick the weather. rain, fog, snow, fall, spring
>you pick the enemies that you want to fight. zombies, vampires, axe murderers, cannibals, giant monsters
>you can have an open match where players can play as the enemy and you go head to head, or everyone is on one side and you find computers
>there are a few set games where you don't have to choose anything aside from few characteristics. this is more of a random setting with a few basic starter maps
>the more you play the more points you get, you can build structures and add environments to expand your maps
>you choose pretty much everything

not having any set goals lets the players have more freedom and its just a cluster fuck of fun and guns. We'll call it like "sandbox 1.0" or something cheesey. you'll have to buy some DLC for weapons,outfits,clothes and vehicles because sorry kids but we need money to keep this shit going. we'll launch specials that give you discounts if youre a constant player
>>
>>17158339
I remember that. there was a comment on it being on a train too, like youre the conductor and the train travels to different towns and you have to get off to get supplies
>>
had a good spoop from an unexpected source, actually
in far cry 4, which no one talks about for some reason, you run and gun and to some degree always have weapons-guns knives, bombs, etc

in one of the missions you wake up in a mountain prison, with the main baddie and some others
you have to escape by making a grapple rope, but theres a twist- around the prison, there's these demon motherfuckers that did appear earlier during suspected drug induced visions, but you had weapons, but now they are freely roaming the tight passages and you have no weapon. its one of the scariest things ive played, as you're used to being very powerful but the sudden vunerability is utterly terrifying.
theres a lot of spoopy stuff In the gme, but whats simply chilling is the fact there is no explanation, or reappearance in the main storyline.
>>
>Game takes place in early 60s America
>Cold war turns hot
>Survive in bunker
>Comfy ass 60s decor bunker
>As the days go by you slowly go more and more insane
>Skillset you pick at the beginning of the game determines course of events
>Either die from starvation/dehydration or go so insane that rescuers have to kill you
>>
>>17158288
Man, if only they hadn't cancelled Silent Hills. Both P.T. and the concept movie were freaking awesome.
>>
>>17173127
>fallout
>>
>>17173313
But you never leave the bunker, you're just slowly going insane alone with little chance of surviving
>>
>>17158288
Yeah! why cancel P.T. ? it'll be a great game, the best horror game ever made! so, why cancel a game that would became a commercial success?
>>
Don't abuse cheap jumpscares
>>
>>17173358
Kojima left the production
>>
>>17172269
>don't use jump scares
>This is what makes games like P.T. so good
>implying when the ghost woman shows up or the little girl moves the door it's not a jumpscare
>>
>>17173290
>the concept movie
what was it?
>>
>>17173496
Just something to show off the graphics and the tone of the game. Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVylTfkDP5c
>>
>>17158920
You sir, are a genius. If anyone makes a game of this idea and concept I hope that they give you extreme credit. Much love nigga.
>>
>>17160338
if it was multiplayer id limit the number of people that can play with you to one. it would ruin the atmosphere of horror of players just started fighting each other. but anyways great idea mate
>>
to make that actually work you'd have to make the people you have to kill fucking beg and cry snot for you not to kill them and make their dialogues fan fucking tactic otherwise it just be you killing all of them to upgrade your character or you can do some sort of karma system
>>
good thread to steal ideas from

t. game dev
>>
File: exstatic.jpg (30KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
exstatic.jpg
30KB, 600x337px
>>17171421
>>17171414
>>17171410
>>17171354
>>17171341
>>17171336
>>17171323
>>17158792
>>17171317
hahahahahahahahahaha
>posts like this help me remember whats great about myself.
at least i'm not you,
and thank god for that.
>>17174118
too bad my foundations of ai only have any worth if you have the competence to understand the benefit.
>>
>>17158732
It's summer in South America.
>>
More games need to focus on more human threats.

Personally, I want to see a game where you truly feel hunted, but not by some monster or specter, but by your fellow man.

The two best scenarios that spring to mind are a) you a young ass nigga in the hood, you've just iced a member of an opposing gang, they hunting you, there's also a police crackdown, they're hunting you. Shit be dark as fuck, red and blue ambient light casts shadows across the block, there are noises all around you, and you have to get the fuck out.

2) You're a woman in Salem, your husband has accused you of being a witch because you refused anal, he doesn't know that you know, but you do know. You know they're coming with torches, and they're everywhere. You've got to get out.
>>
>>17172100
>undertale
>>
Being stalked by different types of greys, while traversing the antarctic continent. no guns, but you could use tools, and the white out blizzards to hide and escape.
>>
>>17166133
I play that game every night
>>
>>17158339
Like that 11 miles creepypasta
>>
>>17158744
Already been done

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_This_Lollipop
>>
File: Lizardman or Space Nazi.png (1MB, 962x541px) Image search: [Google]
Lizardman or Space Nazi.png
1MB, 962x541px
>>17171308
>buy a game
>not enough space
>delete a few games that I haven't recently played, including PT
>a week later, delete an older game or two and redownload PT
>error
>confusion
>error
>confusion
>ERROR
>CONFUSION
>jewgle it
>heart breaks in twain
Treasure it, anon. But the gaming gods are fickle, and you will pay for that game, sooner or later.
>>
File: hOag9yB.png (105KB, 536x461px) Image search: [Google]
hOag9yB.png
105KB, 536x461px
>>17176764
>: Lizardman or Space Nazi
sauce?
>>
>>17176784
unteralterbach
it's the holy grail of VNs if you're into cheese pizza
>>
Good sound design is the most important quality in a horror game. What about something like a game where its like a very short telltale game, but whenever you play it the charecters realize theyre repeating the same thing over and over again. Eventually theres a reveal that some kind of entity is keeping them there. And blah blah blah im too lazy to think of a whole plot
>>
>Open world FPS
>Set in a decrepit small town devoid of any life.
>Players are dropped off immediately after a cutscene of slow panning of the town.
>the player immediately knows somethings off. the only objective is to get out of the closed off town.
>To do so the player must explore and find ways to get around roadblocks and walls.
>Day/night cycle plays into exploration.
>During day you don't have to use flashlights and places that were dark and spoopy at night don't look as much during the day, if the player missuses their batteries they might find themselves only able to explore during day time or having the flashlight fail while exploring the hospital's darker halls.
>Nobody wants to have to wait for daybreak while alone in an abandoned hospital or asylum with no light.
>Sound is key to keep the player on their toes; glass breaking, footsteps, barking, far off screams, car alarms suddenly going off both near them and in the distance, you name it.
>Make the player feel as isolated and alone as possible while dangling the possibility there are still people in town above them.
>Through exploration the player finds notes, newspapers, recordings, etc from before "IT" happened.
>The player doesn't know what "IT" is and "IT" keeps changing. Some notes talk about a new drug or a gang, others are more /x/ with monsters, aliens or ghosts.
>Its all to keep the player guessing and confused.
>Notes and newspapers start getting more and more spooky and creepy the closer they get to happening day.
>The more the player progresses, the more creepy shit starts happening around them; shadows, figures, crying, heavy breathing, music box playing on the room...
>Sometimes the player thinks they see a little girl in the hallway, a doglike thing shambling on the street through the window, they feel like the porcelain doll is staring at them or they looked up at the night's sky and see a UFO sighting.
>>
>>17177002
>Toy with the player's emotions when they find a working TV that sheds light on the events only for it to turn to static at the part or for them to find it was a tape recording of something else.
Horror games nowadays are all about the 2spooky in your face shit with jumpscares that are predictable and a "being hunted" scenario that indies make the entire game revolve around it.
It's all about the uneasiness, the primordial fear of the unknown that makes players not want to open a certain door or to not want to keep progressing, building up on players expectations and then giving them just enough tidbits of information or promises for them to keep going.
>>
>>17177002
>Open world FPS
Into the trash

Also
>>>/v/
>>
>>17177030
Open world fps as in, you can explore the entire map from the get go in a first person point of view, whats so bad about that?
>>
>>17158339
you sir, are retarded
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28KB, 1280x720px
That part in the orginal Silent Hill where the row of TVs start showing the cults sigil and footage of Cheryl being tortured was crazy as hell. That's disturbed me more than anything in any other vidya. It was such an inversion of what you expect out of a video game, especially one from 1999.

>inb4 a bunch of fags that never played the original SH talk about how much scarier SH2 and SH3 were

No shit, they had much better technology. This one part though, really weird. They tried to copy it in SH3 in the mall but it lacked the same impact.
>>
>>17177085
>It was such an inversion of what you expect out of a video game, especially one from 1999.

For those that never played Silent Hill 1., imagine if you're playing through Super Mario World and you see a video tape of Peach being tortured by Bowser. That's basically what that moment was like.
>>
>>17158288
I thought Alien isolation was pretty good. Never really saw it a lot but knowing it could be right behind me while I'm in an air vent and that it could jump down right on top of my head really did it for me
>>
>>17158288
that picture alone is scarier than anything else on /x/. PT was fantastic
>>
I feel like SOMA really hit the mark on what makes an excellent horror game, with the atmosphere and music to help the mood when hiding/solving puzzles. If I were to make a horror game, it would probably be something like SOMA where it's a mindfuck journey but with the main horror as unknown horror. Deep sea and Deep space are some of the best environments for this.
>>
>>17177098
>imagine if you're playing through Super Mario World and you see a video tape of Peach being tortured by Bowser
poor analogy. silent hill is an horror game, fucked up shit is expected to happen
>>
>>17158784
You're such a fuckin loser
>>
>>17158789
I think it would strike the English language better you retard.
>>
>>17177098
Yeah, it's a very poor analogy. Silent Hill is a game that causes suspense, more than horror (well, the first game). i'll never forget the radio static that the monsters produce, even in a foggy town :')
>>
I really liked the way undertale would close when you are trying to defeat flowey at the end of the game. I did not know that it would happen and i got paranoid that the game was a virus. Everytime you tried to beat him again what he would say to you upon restarting the game changed and it gave me a sense of dread. It was one of the best scary game experiences i have had of all time.

I really like the idea of a game going through your computer and getting to know you and exploiting your weaknesses. Lets say you are an artist and you have folders called "art" the antagonist notices that and says things like "everyone just says you are a good artist because they feel bad for you" or having a folder called "porn" would make the antagonist say things like "im sending your porn folder to the fbi you sicko". Of course none of the info the game collects can be sent to others but the thought of having your privacy invaded is scary.

Im going to download SOMA. Sounds like you guys agree that its pretty neat.
>>
>>17158382
Sounds fun, but not scary unfortunately.

The first time it would be somewhat scary id imagine, if done well, but once you play it a bit it would just become like any competitive multiplayer game. Needs more sense of unknown i.e clever unpredictable A.I or something.

Also horror games tend to be more successful when basic. A complicated possibility would be a game where you have to go from A to B or whatever and you are in a house/woods etc and its dark as per usual but the "monster" is randomly chosen from a pool of 20 or so and has its own characteristics so you dont get used to dealing with one particular monster and its actions.
>>
>>17158709
People would camp like fuck, back to a corner and just wait.

Need to give them an objective to make them move about i suppose
>>
>>17165849
Sure..then I can sue you and take your house and the haunted it comes with..also compensation.
>>
are there any horror games in lighthouses?
>>
Idea I had: a one save file tycoon type of game where you run your own hospital, by adding rooms, spending/making money, and caring for patients etc. But every now and then small things change. Say a door usually has 3 vertical windows on the tops, as some usually do. Then, once the player puts up the menu to buy more waiting room chairs, the default door texture changes so it has 2 windows(the player has the menu up so he can't see it change).
After maybe a week or 2 of playing, everything has changed. the door now only has 1 window, the lead surgeon has dark brown hair instead of light brown(this would be a very gradual change), etc etc. These changes would be saved to the steam account/console so, when the guy restarts his save all the changes would still be there.
the more noticeable changes (color of walls etc) would be very gradual, and the trailer would look nothing like any of the textures so they can't check that for reference.

pls rate
>>
Brendan Fraser Simulator. Baoding edition.
>>
My idea, a horror game, using Lovecraftian mythos but not playing as a human

You start as a weak Deep One, prisioner on a human lab, you escape one night and have to survive killing guards and scientists

Along the game you start evolving new habilities (tougher skin, sharper nails, etc) and you need to choose what tactic is better for each situation, a frontal attack killing all humans, a stealth ambush or fleeing. You keep running from the humans until you reach the ocean

Instead of running scared from the monster, you're the scary creature lurking in the shadows
>>
>>17172026
Psycho mantis ftw
>>
>>17160692
Now that's thinking with portals.
>>
If your making muliplayer horror game first you just fucked up. Really good horror games exploit the sense of isolation that comes from single player. Good horror makes you feel powerless with out being annoying. Alien Isolation almost did it right but the Xenomorph was prone to bullshit. Also I agree that combat should be an option but an extremely unfavorable one.
>>
>>17162670
Sounds like a ballsier version of bioshock.
>>
A metroidvania type game where a super powerfull creature stalks you.Imagine metroid fusion if the SA-X was smarter.
>>
most of these ideas are utter shit
>>
>>17158288

would be cool to finally see a real zombie apocalypse survival game that's good in mp or sp mode.

7 days to die is pretty cool but buggy as heck.
>>
>>17158709
Good one.

>>17179284
How about having the victims spawn separate from each other, and have the killer have the advantage in a 1v1 confrontation, so that the victims are pretty much forced to move around and group up before the killer can get them while they're alone and vulnerable.
>>
File: feels-552dc6e4755d8.jpg (81KB, 669x627px) Image search: [Google]
feels-552dc6e4755d8.jpg
81KB, 669x627px
Silent hills

*sobs*
>>
something like five nights at freddys but with slenderman
>>
Typing up my idea, dont let thread ded
>>
Here's a nice /x/ related game, it's only $1.99 too
http://store.steampowered.com/app/329830/
About an hour of gameplay, I liked it.
>>
File: Horror game idea.png (98KB, 857x1010px) Image search: [Google]
Horror game idea.png
98KB, 857x1010px
>>17182525
My idea
>>
>>17158312
wow that sure is a popular shitty idea
>>
>>17158658
That is literally Silent Hill: Downpour, and it sucked.
>>
>>17158312
They already make haunted houses that really blur the line between fun and fucking horrifying. Some simulate rape, mutilation, make the "player" do some shitty shit. Of course its all acting but good acting can make you forget what you're witnessing isn't real. Some people have been mentally scarred from them, most people come out feeling kinda changed and regretting it. I want to go but none are in my immediate area.

So for the anon suggesting a haunted house, idea's been done.

Only problem with the idea: It's expensive and its really hard to get a reservation because its so popular. It changes every year though which is great so no two years are alike.
>>
What makes a good horror game?

For one, you can't just have jumpscares at every corner. Sometimes leaving the player alone is the best way to scare them because they get a false sense of security.

A way to figure out the player's own fears based on either a test first (sorta how Until Dawn did it but that game was so campy it wasn't too scary) or based on how they react to the scares (do they dispatch the spider monster quickly? Does their character stop moving for a minute as soon as you bring o ut the clown? Do more clowns make their actions panicked while spiders make them calmer? Shit like that.)

I think silent protagonists are best because they're more immersive. Playing as Sebastion in The Evil Within took away a lot of the scary parts because there's not as much immersion (not to mention that game gets too action-y and it loses a lot of the scare factor).

Some rules tho:
1. No cheap jumpscares. Jumpscares don't equal good scary game (Five nights at freddy's.)

2. Collecting games. Like Slender or any other games where you have to collect an object to be safe. If a real monster were after you it wouldn't be placated just because you found a bunch of paper.

3. No music. I think music takes away and falsifies too much tension. If there is music it should have a source (gets louder until you find an old busted radio or something).

4. ???

5. Profit.

That's my two-cents
>>
>>17182644
So, any comments? My friend already says I need to make the puzzles more exciting, but that kink could be worked out.
>>
The player should have no ability to defend themselves. The Res Evil games did weapons correctly by handicapping the player with awkward, cinematic camera angles and sparse ammo. Honestly, if I'm given a weapon, much of the fear is lost. Instead, give me less reliable ways of defending myself, mostly just running, hiding, and avoiding.
>>
>>17182495
Faggot stop
>>
Video game concept
>Be you
>Be on trip, or commuting to work
>Shit pops off
>World be changing
>You are near destination
>Destination was overun
>You find way back home
>clapping zombies and shit
>You get home
>You dont win
>Now you have to survive
>Finding mad supplies at the local bodega
>ghetto zombiesss ; nigggaaaaz betta run
>board up da house
and assorted other fun mini games like
Wait for the train and I aint got no change fool
>>
>>17164481
This. Being hunted in a game is absolutely horrifying. Check out Sir You are Being Hunted if you want a game kind of like this.
>>
>>17182644
it would be too easy to check if the player is being controlled by outsmarting the AI
>>
>>17183187
not if I were rich and poured money into it like BP oil into the gulf of mexico
>>
the fairly recent boogeyman game actually does a pretty good job of scaring you, even though it's pretty much a fnaf ripoff that relies on jumpscares
>>
File: image.jpg (348KB, 2048x1079px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
348KB, 2048x1079px
>>17158382
This sounds very similar to a work in progress game thats being made. Its called "Last year" look it up on youtube. It sounds pretty cool but it was funded with kickstarter, so you know how that goes.
Its based on slasher films. You play as a group of students that must go against a serial killer who is also another player.
>>
>>17180493
3/10. None of that would be actually scary, what the fuck. Also, play Theme Hospital
>>
>>17158382
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgErb1FzQ5A
This is basically it but kinda different.

Basically this a a coop game with monsters (Hostile NPC) and the guy recording is an admin in a modded server with noclip and creepy ass playermodel, he mess with these 2 guys playing while they go through the map.
>>
Not much of an idea as it is a mechanic.

>Some extreme VR system that can kill/suspend your memory for the duration of the game
>Live the fucking game
>Injects your character history/memories(if any present)
>*insert various plots/stories/scenarios*
>Move around, jump, run, fight, hide, get tired, feel pain, feel terror, fucking piss yourself for all I care
>Fail or succeed with the story, nobody gives a fuck
>???
>Guaranteed legitimate fucking terror
>Wake up, get back your memories AND remember the session
>Probably be fucking scarred for life
>Fuck

Any feedback is appreciated.
>>
I really like how in Metro: Last Light they added people's shadows on the edge of your screen every once in a while to make you feel like someone, whether it's an enemy or not, is there with you. If I made a horror game, it would be more about paranoia than jumpscares.
>>
These ideas are all fucking shit. Get some taste holy fuck.
>>
Actually been working on thing in my spare time. Started off as a maze generator, but then I made it first person, and added a really simple pursuing enemy, trying to decide where to go with it. It sorta reminds me of the minotaur in King's Quest. You're trying to find your way around but you can hear your stalker somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PMlykMvzlE
>>
>>17185075
Do you have a better one?
>>
>>17185475
No, he's just an asshat who's pissed that his idea didn't get as much feedback as he wanted.
>>
>>17185120
Spooky as shit
>>
Third Person Adventure Wrestling game

Main story line is about bringing down the Illuminati and the spooky shit they are involved with

Side stories would be you go around the world hunting cryptids and cults using your wrestling skills

this idea is literally gold
>>
>>17185120
10/10
>>17185642
Also 10/10
>>
File: GER.png (549KB, 550x800px) Image search: [Google]
GER.png
549KB, 550x800px
>>17182644
A good name for it could be something like "Trickster", or "Copycat".
Something really innocent.
>>
Pizza delivery in spooky areas
>>
>>17158288
Related to the designing thing, what should get precedence in horror games?
As in graphics, music, gameplay...

I'd probably say that music is one of the most important aspect of games, because if used well it can really help create a tense atmosphere.
Graphics would probably be the least of concerns. Heck, a lack of graphics works a lot (think text-based games, or even games where you play a blind character), because most of the time whatever monster is in the game just can't measure up to what your mind creates.
>>
The problem with horror games is that if anything actually ever happens - if the player is forced to confront "le spooky scary monsters" - then the effect is completely destroyed.
On the other hand, however, if you don't have anything which is a distinctly terrifying (a "le spooky scary monster") then the player will quickly determine the boundaries of the horror game; i.e.: "I know that in this area nothing scary will ever happen to me". This breaks the horror also.
As far as I can see, the best way to do horror is to make the player *think* that there is something around that next corner (there isn't). To trick the player into creating the horror themselves. After all, there aren't actually any scary monsters irl, people have only ever just scared themselves.
disclaimer: I am literally mentally retarded
>>
good thread guys

gg
>>
File: Kongamato_front.jpg (96KB, 640x454px) Image search: [Google]
Kongamato_front.jpg
96KB, 640x454px
>>17158382
You know what would make it totally cool?
If there were various monsters from mythos from around the world.
Each of them has a some-what different strategy, and some of them can be killed normally, some have weaknesses.
For example, The Kongamato.
It's fast, does decent damage, but doesn't have too much health.
It's main strategy?
Hide in trees, on roofs, vantage points, whatever, and attack from above.
Nemean Lion could be like a thing where you have to find a way to trap it, not kill it.
Of course, I'm just throwing out ideas here.
>>
>>17158288

My concept for an new horror game:

>Player is a young girl
>Playground is a normal house
>Story - The parents of the girl are on a holidaytrip and the girl is alone at home.
> The house has a lots of surveillance cameras
> every image from the surveillance cameras where shown at the computerscreen from the girls bedroom
> at some point at the game, the girl receive a Facebook message
"I know you are at home" from a unkown user.
>the conversation gets worse from the beginin.
>The unkown user announce that he will come and get her
>Now here the Horror beginns

> The Player has to look at every Spot of the house to close every Door and window to stay safe.
> The next step is that the intruder try to get in the building. Slam at the doors, crack not covered windows etc.

>When the intruder comes in, the player has to hide or to get out of the house or in both cases he has to alert the police.
>>
>>17188758
So... Until Dawn?
>>
>>17185120
Me again. Posted a new video from the maze generator I've been working on. This chick basically just slowly drives you to kill yourself if you stay close to her or look at her too much.

https://youtu.be/Dt7DDlH1hcc
>>
>>17158784
soon to be an hero
>>
>>17158784
you never answered my email..
>>
>>17158312
that's like a nightmare while you are aware.
>>
>>17164425
Honestly I don't think kf is a good example cuz its not supposed to be taken seriously with all the stupid costumes and weapons
>>
guess we hit bump limit

nice thread people it was a nice read
>>
No checkpoints
No munition
You have to trick the enemies in order to escape
A good lore
Unsettling ambient music
if you die the game penalizes you somehow like losing Souls in Dark Souls games or losing playable character forever like in Obscure
>>
Have a game that has normal looking locations and surroundings but increasingly eerie music. It follows the life of a man who has recently lost his wife and children in an accident and must continue living. Played in a day to day format, it initially starts out normal, albeit with a few weird instances in the man's day and light music for the setting. When you reach day 3, there start to be weird things occurring, like seeing shadows just out of view and slowly the cheery music gets progressively creepier. It gets to the point that the man and the player cannot tell if these things are really happening or if the man is going insane. At the end the man accepts that he's insane and seeks help only to have one final literal fight with his demons. At the end, a cut scene set a week after he checked in reveals to the player that he's been murdered and was actually facing supernatural beings. Single player for PC, Xbox, and PlayStation. Special edition for the Oculus Rift.
>>
>>17182865
>scary game
>zombies

pic one
>>
Perfect scary game would be for me an adaptation of the labyrinth like in The House of Leaves. Well, this should of course be more than exploration but the concept of losing every notion of space and time and being followed by a Minotaur you hear but never see... brr (movie adaptation of this book could also be the best scary movie in decades)
>>
File: lol1.gif (4MB, 298x224px) Image search: [Google]
lol1.gif
4MB, 298x224px
>>17160692
>>
>>17179265
nigga, everyone would just find it hilarious and meme
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.