[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Internet Connection Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: dbober.jpg (741KB, 710x854px) Image search: [Google]
dbober.jpg
741KB, 710x854px
Alright so I just brought my old desktop from back home and set it up in my dorm. I bought a netgear n300 wifi router and am trying to connect it to the wifi of my school's residence hall.

I plugged it all in but it won't do anything besides say there is no network access and when I try to type in www.routerlogin.net on google chrome to log in to the router it just says "webpage is not available."

The instructions say I need a modem to plug into the router but do I really if I just wanna connect to the wifi? Isn't the router supposed to do that on its own?

I'm sorry if my cluelessness with this is frustrating.
>>
Do you have a WiFi adapter for your desktop? Is it plugged in?

It sounds like you can't even connect to the router.
>>
1. connect desktop to router with lan cable
2. change router to bridge mode
3. connect router to campus wifi
4. ???
5. profit!
>>
>>52952
how do i change it to bridge mode?
>>
>>52939
nope but i'm going to buy one of those in three hours.

do i even need the router if i have the WiFi adapter?
>>
>>52961

Your laptop has no WiFi by default like a laptop does. You have to either connect it to the router with an ethernet cable, or buy a WiFi adapter so you can connect to the router wirelessly.
>>
>>52961
Wait, scratch that...I forgot you were trying to connect to your dorm wifi. You don't need a router at all if there is already wifi, just the wireless adapter.
>>
>>53445
You're right! I got an adapter and hooked up to the dorm WiFi pretty quickly.

But then I still have this router. I can easily return it but is there still some use for it?
>>
>>53843
I mean, when you eventually graduate and get a place of your own it might be useful. Otherwise I'd return it if you still can, you can always buy another one later on. I don't think there's any use for it now though.
>>
Return it if you can. It's useless unless you're using multiple computers in your room, are willing to have a LAN party, or about to get a landline connection anytime soon.

It'll probably be out of date if you graduate in three years, and the money would be better invested in lottery tickets, beer, or a hooker.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.