[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I recently got a new job, and was tasked with keeping the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (67KB, 343x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
67KB, 343x300px
So I recently got a new job, and was tasked with keeping the work laptop in my office. Ok, whatever. We don't have wifi at work, and the laptop isn't set up to connect to the network even when hard-wired. It's a several year old Toshiba, kinda crappy, running Windows 7 Enterprise.

The "tech guy" at the office claims he has to take the computer home every few weeks to update it on his internet. His explanation for this is that if the computer isn't updated periodically, corporate has it set to automatically lock up and become unusable.

This sounds like BS to me, because if the computer never connects to the Internet, how can corporate know it's not updated? Heck, how can Windows even know that updates are available?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there actually some way the computer could be set to brick if the update operation isn't run every so often?
>>
No. It's just probably their policy to keep shit updated. If it's your personal computer as in you bought it, then they probably just check to see what you've been doing on it. And if you don't agree to their demands they'll probably kick you out.

But, no. That guy is full of shit.
>>
sketch as fuck
>set up to connect to the network even when hard-wired
if the port isn't broken that's an easy fix
>updated periodically, corporate has it set to automatically lock up and become unusable
yes its possible if they already put their software on it, but "corporate" would probably never do something so fucky

I'm guessing its not your laptop, because that would raise too many other questions

Mr. techman probably set up that brickware if there even is any, but I would start by simply fixing that ethernet thing
>>
Yeah, not a personal laptop, it's theirs. The way the office is set up, to my knowledge, is that all the desktops have static IPs, and only those IPs are given access. If something connects that doesn't read as an "approved" IP, it can't connect, which is why you can't just plug it into an Ethernet jack. At least, that's what I've gathered from asking around, I'm not an expert with this stuff. The login for the laptop is admin, no domain. So I went in and dug around a bunch- the only sort of protection I could find was Bitlocker encryption and an antivirus program, no other programs running, nothing unrecognizable installed.

Thank you for pretty much confirming my suspicions that this guy is full of shit. I appreciate the input. Now I need to figure out why this guy is so intent on taking the computer home every few weeks. It's really a piece of crap, I can't imagine what benefit it would be to use outside of work.
>>
>>50339
they could have blocked the laptop's mac address on the switch port OP is trying to connect to
>>
>>50345
>>50365
clone your desktop's computer MAC address on the laptop and connect it to the same port the desktop is using. That should fix it.
>>
>>50368
Good call. I'll try it on Monday.
>>
>>50321
maybe he'll put some cp on it, and then you'll get blamed for it and go to jail...

or I could just be over analyzing it
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.