[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Quick math question
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1384720633854.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1384720633854.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Alright, basic ass shit but someone left me ignorant. I'm a sophmore taking college algebra at my school. I understand linear equations easily enough for the most part, but our teacher neglected to cover how you calculate distance between two point when they're formatted as such (A,B) and (0,0). A quick pointer would do me a world of good, cause as far as I've been shown a line with this arrangement shouldn't even exist. Got some cool wallpapers on top of this one to share in exchange.
>>
sqrt((x2-x1)^2(y2-y1)^2))
>>
>>47230
Imagine there's a right-triangle between the line and one axis.

Apply Pythagoras.
>>
Depends on metric you use
>>
File: 1384720783067.jpg (3 MB, 1924x1080) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1384720783067.jpg
3 MB, 1924x1080
OP here, that's all the data we were presented with, could I possibly see an example?
>>
>>47230
Euclidean distance between two points.

If you have two points (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) with x1 = x2 then the two points are connected by a segment
parallel to the y-axis and the distance is |y2 - y1|.

If instead y1 = y2 then analogously the distance is |x2 - x1|.

In the other cases the distance d is the length of an hypothenuse of a right triangle with short sides parallel to the x- and to the y-axis, of length |x2 - x1| and |y2 - y1|, respectively.

Now use the theorem of Pythagoras and you obtain

d^2 = |x2 -x1|^2 + |y2 - y1|^2.
Note that because of the squares you can drop the absolute values here, and by taking the square root you get

d = sqrt((x2 -x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2)

(>>47238 forgot the +)

Note also that this formula covers also the first two cases with y1 = y2 and x1 = x2, that is, you need only to remember it (or simply the Theorem of Pythagoras).
>>
>>47248
yes. also: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=distance+between+two+points
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
Thread DB ID: 488612

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.