[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Algebra. Stuck on question.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: Algebra-problem_1.png (50KB, 1101x721px) Image search: [Google]
Algebra-problem_1.png
50KB, 1101x721px
Can someone help me with this question? I'm totally stuck.

The function f is defined by the expression f(x)= 2x+3 ∕ x − 2

For what values on a does the equation f(x) = a − x lack real roots?
>>
>>45739
Are you trying to isolate a but don't know how?
>>
>>45743
I'm trying to figure out what values on a make no real roots. That's the premise, and I'm low on intuition.

>x^2 = ax - 2a -3

What values on a will make it so no real roots appear when I apply the pq-formula?
>>
>>45751
Low on intuition let alone reasoning, hence me asking for help...
>>
Still in need help. I believe this is the proper channel for math-help requests, as stated in the /sci/ sticky.
>>
>>45783
in need of* help.
>>
>>45739
is it
2x + 3 / (x - 2)
or
2x + ( 3 / x ) - 2
>>
The discriminant must be<0, so

a^2-4(2a+3)<0.

You can work from here to deduce things about a
>>
>>45840
It's "2x + 3 / (x - 2)"
>>
>>45860
>The discriminant must be<0, so a^2-4(2a+3)<0
Why? Why can't it be >0?

>so a^2-4(2a+3)<0
How did you get this? All I have is x^2 = ax - 2a - 3, and I don't understand how you came to a^2-4(2a+3)<0. I hope me requesting explanations isn't too tedious.
>>
Since my school doesn't have math teachers I haven't had most of algebra explained/ taught to me. We only get a text book to work through and there is no info on how to solve equations like "x^2 = ax - 2a - 3" in it.
>>
1)
> op fuck you. it's like 3 am here
2)

2x+3 ∕ x − 2 =a - x

x should be different than 2;(because it's division by 0);
next

2x+3 = ( a - x ) * (x-2) <=>
ax-2a -x^2 +2x -2x -3=0 <=>
-x^2 + ax +2x -2x -2a -3 =0 <=>
-x^2 + ax -2a -3 =0 ;
we need to find the roots where -x^2 =0;
thus delta is
a^2 -4(-1 *(-2a-3)) <=> a^2 - 8a +12 .
for x to not have real we need delta <0
thus a^2 -8a +12 must be < 0.
a^2 -8a +12 =0 <=> delta 2 is
(-8)^2 -4(1*12) = 64 - 48 = 16.
the lowest point is -b/(2a') = 8/2 =4. because a is always positive a^2 -8a +12 cannot be negative... and x will always have solutions. i might have made bad calculations but in theory that is what you have to do.
suck my dick i love math.
>>
it's a^2 - 8a +12 <0 calculate roots. calculate minimum point and then intervals on which a is negative. sorry , i iz sleepy
>>
>>46096
>It's "2x + 3 / (x - 2)"

>>46100
You made an error in the computation. When you multiply by (x-2) you obtain

2x + 3 / (x - 2) = x - a
2x(x - 2) + 3 = (x - a)(x - 2)
>>
i think you don't understand some basic algebra here.

imagine the x^2 curve. if you cant, juste type in x^2 on google, you'll get one. all other functions that are written like : ax^2 + bx + c are variants of it, slimmer, larger, turned upside down or not, with their rounded corner going either up or down, left or right in the XY axis, depending on what values a, b, and c are.

Now, the question is, the delta indicates if your x^2 type parabole touches the x-axis line, you can see on wikipedia why, but in delta = b^2 - 4ac , following what i said about how a,b,c influes on the position of your function on the axis, you can easily understand that delta may tell you where your function may be located.

Delta > 0 means it touches the X axis with two branches, therefore you got two ways to touch the x axis with your functions, i.e two solutions

delta = 0 means you only touch the x= 0 axis (or x axis) with the "butt" of the parabole, that is the rounded corner.
delta<0 means the function does not touch the X axis, therefore there is no way oh having f(x) = 0, i.e no solutions.

As for the answer to your questions, i'm pretty sure >>46356 gives you the right answer.
>>
>>45739
It's simple, you've already solved most of the problem yourself anon.

You worked out the equation x^2+2a+3-ax=0
Rearrange it as x^2-ax+2a+3 = 0
Now, for exposition ourposes, I'm gonna call a here, say, p.
So let's rewrite it as x^2-px+2p+3

This is a quadratic equation, remember that a quadratic equation is one written in the form ax^2+bx+c, in this case a = 1, b =-p and c=2p+3

Now, the solution to a quadratic equation is given by the quadratic formula, (-b ± sqrt(b^2-4ac))/2a

So, for the values in this equation:

(p ± sqrt(p^2-4(2p + 3))/2

Now, this equation will clearly have a real solution for all values where the square root has a real solution, that is, where p^2-4(2p + 3) >= 0, so it will not have one where p^2-4(2p + 3) < 0

Simplifying the expression we get p^2 -8p -12 < 0

Now, remember that p stood for a in the original question, where it asked to solve find where f(x)= a -x had no real roots.

So, a^2-8a -12 < 0

This gives us two solutions, a< 4 - 2*sqrt(7) and a<4 +2*sqrt(7), or just a <4+2*sqrt(7), as the inequality holds at the middle point of the interval between those two values, a=4.

>>46356
>>a^2 -4(-1 *(-2a-3)) <=> a^2 - 8a +12

The 12 there is negative, everything else that follows is wrong.
>>
>>46356
>>46393
Can you compress the answer to one sentence? Like what should I write on the paper as the answer?

I don't know what a delta is; isn't mentioned in the math book. Thus, I don't recognize anything below "-x^2 + ax -2a -3 =0 ;" in >>46356
>>
Anon, >>46356 made a small mistake and the solution isn't correct, I corrected it in >>46458

If you really a need a one line answer, it would be a <4+2*sqrt(7) but I'd strongly encourage you to study the answers you've received so that you can see the reasoning and be able to solve similar problems in the future.
>>
>>46458
Okay, but if a = 2, then x = 2 ± sqrt 2^2 - 11 is the same as x = 2 ± sqrt (-7), which doesn't work, or something... shouldn't the answer be let's say n>a or n<a... what should replace n then?

I fucking hate my school for not having enough math teachers. Our whole fucking country is in lack of math teachers because all we have is goddamn gender studies and quasi-sociologists.
>>
>>46479
Thank you very much for taking your time contributing answers.
>>
>>46484
>>46480

Sorry, made a small mistake checking the range, the solution is 4-2*sqrt(7)<a<2+sqrt(7)

Anyway, the key is to practice a lot, and, really, don't rely on teachers, despite what the common word is.Get yourself a good math book at the level you're studying and study from that. This is an elementary algebra problem, some books I could recommend for at this level are "Algebra: a very short introduction" by Peter M. Higgins and "Algebra: A Complete Introduction" by Hugh Neill.
>>
>>46505
Typed solution wrong, 4-2*sqrt(7)<a<4+2sqrt(7), damnit.
>>
>>46505
I will check it out. I appreciate you sharing your wisdom. I acknowledge the fact that I have no one to blame but myself for not knowing what I should know, in these times when everything is 'out there'.
>>
>>46506
See one thing I don't get, and it feels like I'm following you for the most part, is where a< 4 - 2*sqrt(7) comes from?

I have a^2-8a -12, and through the quadratic formula does that not become: a = 4 ± sqrt (4^2+12=28)..? I'm not following.
>>
>>46587
sqrt(28)=sqrt(4*7)=sqrt(4)*sqrt(7)=2*sqrt(7)
>>
>>46594
So I can just write 4 - sqrt(28)<a<4 + sqrt(28)?
>>
>>46612
Yeah.
>>
>>46618
Thank you so much. You've filled my hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB7JZ-df8Xo
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.