[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good recent cartoons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: 71b6e82726c9699fd4af1c2bb6e6fff1.png (947KB, 800x1139px) Image search: [Google]
71b6e82726c9699fd4af1c2bb6e6fff1.png
947KB, 800x1139px
So, my HDD died. Yet again. God damn my life. And I need a couple of days to get a new one and try to rescue my data, so I basically have 2 free days where I can't do anything.

I've got Puppy Linux with mpv though, so I'm rewatching Wakfu. But if I'm rewatching shit, I might as well watch good shit I haven't watched before.

Could you recommend me some good, recent, marathonable cartoons, with reasons for me to watch them? The only ones I've watched in the last few years have been Rick & Morty, High School USA and Star vs the Forces of Evil. And, like, Korra.

Please though, no hipster shit made for and by tumblr (Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls etc).

Also, please, no anime. Not because I dislike it like the hipster shit /co/ loves - quite the opposite: I'm up to date with all my animus up to today's release of Dimension W, Grimgar, Nijiiro Days and Ooyasan wa Shishunki, and I haven't had a backlog for what might as well be a decade.
>>
>good
>recent cartoons
pick one
>>
>>41411
Star vs the Forces of Evil was actually quite good.

But, yeah. I'm asking for recommendations on the subject because I know good recent cartoons are few and far between.
>>
>>41414
have you tried looking for things that aren't tv shows?
>>
>>41415
Hit me.

I'm enjoying RWBY too.
>>
>>41423
Nevermind
>>
>>41430
Sorry.

Didn't consider mentioning it in OP.
>>
So... nothing?
>>
>Recent cartoons
>Good
I have small hopes for the new Samurai Jack coming soon, but other than that all current cartoons, namely the ones you listed and others, are shit.,
>>
I commented on the other thread but yeah over the garden wall and sym bionic titan

I don't get why so many people are saying recent cartoons aren't good. If you mean in season, well yeah, obviously quality things from the past are better than a snapshot of what's currently airing today. But a lot of great stuff has been made recently and is being made. I think this is a great time for animation
>>
>>41565
>I think this is a great time for animation
If you're a hipster from tumblr who believes every cartoon should be like Neutral Milk Hotel song and push for social justice and third-wave feminism, sure.

But yeah, I got your recommendation from the other thread, and I'm gonna give Over the Garden Wall a try. Thanks.
>>
>>41565
It's shit.
Anything good gets cancelled usually within a single season or two, and stupid shit keeps getting another season forever like Johnny Test. Or we get tumblr shit like Steven Universe.

Sym Bionic Titan was enjoyable but it's cancelled and will NEVER get another episode, ever.
>>
>>41409
>I'm up to date with all my animus
Yeah, no. You haven't watched even a fraction of all the good stuff. It's impossible to watch even half of all anime in your lifetime even if you never slept and watched it 24/7.

Not sure why you want cartoons which has like 20 good series, max.
>>
>>41570
>Yeah, no. You haven't watched even a fraction of all the good stuff. It's impossible to watch even half of all anime in your lifetime even if you never slept and watched it 24/7.
I'm still up to date with all my animus and have no backlog anymore. Been watching anime all my life, and I've watched every season almost in full since 2007, all the while working on my backlog of older shows 'til nothing I ever got recommended or interested in was left. Sure, I haven't watched everything, but I've watched every anime that tends to be recommended. Hell, I've subbed some of those.

I'm fucking old yo.

>Not sure why you want cartoons
Because yes, cartoons are overall unbearably shit, but I might be missing some gems, so now that I reluctantly have some free time, might as well see if I can check some of those.
>>
>>41572
Reccomend me anime

I'm looking for pre 2000s stuff that you liked

And post 2000s too actually what anime do you like
>>
>>41574
Have my 3x3 (from memory, the actual file is in a dead HD ;_; ):
Kemonozume
08th MS Team (you need to have watched at least Gundam 0079 to completely get 08th MS Team though)
Ichigo Mashimaro
Hyakko
Battle Programmer Shirase
Patlabor
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Slam Dunk
Strike Witches

Have my mango 3x3 from memory too, while I'm at it:
Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix
Hoshi no Samidare
Fuan no Tane
Hyakko
Great Teacher Onizuka
Rapeman
Bambino
Slam Dunk
20th Century Boys

Also, I'm watching Over the Garden Wall, and I really can't stand the art. It's really tumblrish. And the writing is pretty pretentious. But I'm still gonna give it a 3 episode rule, seeing as how it's just 10 minutes per episode.
>>
OK. Watched the second episode of Over the Garden Wall, and I have to say... the character art is shit clearly aimed at tumblr, the dialogs are pretentious as fuck... but it's still a pretty interesting show.

It managed to overcome its annoying points, and interest me. I'm gonna most likely finish it in a run. Thanks for the recommendation, and if you please may, keep 'em coming.
>>
>>41582
I assume you've seen Bojack Horseman?
>>
>>41585
I haven't.

Looks a bit too furfaggy for my taste though. How prevalent is furfaggotry when it comes to it? Though then again, I did like Wakfu...
>>
>>41587
About as much as Bugs Bunny.
>>
>>41596
When he dons the red dress?
>>
Alright. So I just finished Over the Garden Wall.

... if you haven't watched it, go do it. Now. It's extremely good. Thanks to the Shintaro Kago anon who recommended it.
http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Over-the-Garden-Wall

The fucking tumblr character art and some of the dialog in the first few episodes detracts a lot from it, but other than that, it's fantastic. Which is a shame: just to imagine it with good character art...

Also, if you guess the ending by the second episode like me, fret not: the end's great, but the travel's superb too.
>>
>>41409
Wander over Yonder is the best cartoon in ages.
>>
>>41658
Also Motorcity is cool.
>>
>>41658
>>41661
Thanks. Checking them out.
>>
>>41658
Requesting Lord Dominator gifs/webms
>>
>>41658
>>41661
>>41663
I really liked Wander Over Yonder, but I don't think it'll be too marathonable.

Motorcity though
>hardboiled car show
>dystopian future
>by the guy who did Megas XLR
>with character design that looks like Gorillaz
Yeah, I'm marathoning this. Thanks.
>>
So, for the sake of discussion, for those who say almost all modern cartoons today are shitty: would do you think could be improved upon to make them good again?

I'm all open to discreet criticism, but please try to avoid vague one-liners such as "Too much SJW bullshit".
>>
>>41761
But too much SJW bullshit IS the only answer.

Sex appeal got Symbionic Titan cancelled.
We'll never see violence like in Powerpuff Girls again, except it's to push some social justice bullshit (ie that episode of Rick and Morty where Rich and Morty's sister get fit and kick the shit out of the kind of people SJWs hate - if they were beating up a non-white gang like the PPG, they'd have seen hell).
You can't laugh at fat people anymore like in Megas.
Every character design is like out of tumblr, noses and all.
Every show is trying to be like a big indie music video.

Luckily, we're starting to see some push back. Back before Sargon of Akkad started going full retard talking about economy shit he doesn't understand and I followed his channel, he mentioned MLP made an anti-feminist anti-censorship episode, so that's good. Star vs the Forces of Evil took advantage of its status as a show made by a grill to push the envelope (or at least to push it back to what cartoons were before this bullshit), too. Hopefully we'll see the trend getting expanded.
>>
>>41764
What I meant by that is try to avoid being overly vague. The line which defines "SJW bullshit" has grown convoluted.
>>
>>41768
Then just take everything I said and turn it around.

Bring sex appeal back. Bring violence back. Bring making fun of whatever the fuck you want without a backlash back. Kill that shitty, noodly, red-nosed character design for good. Stop the hipster crap. Actually try to push the envelope again.

Only then will modern cartoons be good again.
>>
>>41761
design is somehow an issue even /co/ keeps noticing.

you can say that the doodle-ish design all started with flapjack and adventure time, but I have no idea why it became the current trend.

that's why some people would describe some of today's shows as "it's like adventure time but with ________"
>>
MLP FiM is pretty old by now, and too long to be watched in an evening, but it is pretty close to many older cartoons in many ways. And if you like CGDCT you may also find enjoyment in it.

They don't care a lot about SJW things. Recently there was a joke where being fat and ugly was the joke, and they have no problems doing racial stereotypes if they need to, and cartoon violence is also something that can be seen frequently.
>>
>>41775
On the other hand, it is MLP.
>>
>>41776
Yeah, it can be problematic if you get triggered by that. But if you can get over it, it has many qualities that people in this thread request.

The artstyle is some of the best you get. No ironic perfect circle eyes, no stupid, straight lines and sharp angles, no Tumblr noses. It is one of few cartoons that actually tries to look as good as they can afford, without looking ugly "ironically".

It also doesn't try to be deeper than it is. It is what it is, and doesn't pretend to be a super deep artsy hipster show. It is what it is.

When it comes to the SJW parts I actually have felt it has been too offensive at some points, like they made fun of crossdressing at some point which I feel is quite problematic. They don't restrict themselves when it comes to premises.
>>
>>41779
And yet, it's MLP.
>>
>>41772
It's probably because it's less intensive to animate and doesn't show mistakes as readily.
>>
You could try "over the garden wall". It might be a bit hipter for soom but i found it was pretty intersting for a new show. And holy shit are its characters good.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.