[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Converting a m4v file to .avi. can i simply rename the extension

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: mp4-vs-avi.png (36KB, 400x201px) Image search: [Google]
mp4-vs-avi.png
36KB, 400x201px
Converting a m4v file to .avi.

can i simply rename the extension to .avi or will there be compatibility issues with codecs of somthing?

I have an in car DVD player head unit that cna play videos off USB, but only in the following formats/codes whatever the correct term.

I have found the following info in the manual.

Xvid files meeting the following requirements can be played. Playback is not be guaranteed for all Xvid files meeting the requirements. Codec
 Media File format: Xvid file format
 File extension: .avi
 Profile: MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile
 Bit rate: Max. 8 Mbps
 Frame rate: Max. 30 fps (30p/60i)
 Resolution: Max. 720 × 576*

MPEG-4 files meeting the following requirements can be played. Playback is not be guaranteed for all MPEG-4 files meeting the requirements.
Codec
 Media File format: AVI file format
 File extension: .avi
 Video codec: MPEG-4 Simple Profile
 Audio codec: MP3
 Bit rate: Max. 8 Mbps
 Frame rate: Max. 30 fps (30p/60i)
 Resolution: Max. 720 × 576

I have renamed extensions and it seems to work on PC, so I am asking 2 things.

If there is anything, what are the issues with just renaming extensions,

is it like renaming a word document to a notepad document, the text will transfer but not the fonts and some of the extra things word can do?

And how can I create a profile in handbrake to convert the m4v files it outputs (one of the videos is a rip i just did) to (if one is better than the other) one of the above spec'ed formats/codecs?

Thanks
>>
the file is just a placeholder for the audio and video tracks. renaming the file extension doesn't change how the tracks are encoded.

> renamed extensions and it seems to work on PC

since the video track is still encoded as mpeg4 the player will detect that and play it. uninstall the mpeg4/h264 codec and see what happens.
>>
1] Download mkvtoolnix

http://www.videohelp.com/software/MKVtoolnix

2] Drag and drop file in mkvtoolnix

3] Change mux output extension to .avi

4] ?????

5] profit
>>
>>39535
uninstall the mpeg4/h264 codec

"uninstall"? how so?
>>
>>39541
Relax, he's just trolling.
>>
>>39542
I thought so, possibly some butthurt fags from /g/ I tried to ask there....

Big mistake. lol.
>>
>>39540
The file was not recognized as a supported format (exit code 2)
>>
OP, just renaming the extension of a file does not make it compatible with another container. NO, renaming an MP4 video to (.avi) will not make it compatible with the AVI container.

Try >>39540 and report back what habben
>>
Changing the extension might or might not work, but it's hard to say without trying it out.
Your best shot would be remuxing into the appropriate container with an external tool, or muxing it into the appropriate container in handbrake in the first place, if that's possible.
>>
>>39551
bummer, I guess your m4v file has h264 video so the only way to play videos on your dvd player is to convert them to MPEG-4 video + MP3 streams.

Okay try this:

1] Select a small 1-5 min video file

2] Open it in Handbrake

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

3] On the {VIDEO} tab select MPEG4 as the video codec and set quality to 50%

4] On the {AUDIO} tab select MP3 as the audio codec and set bitrate to 192 kbps

5] Encode and use mkvtoolnix to mux to an AVI file with the method I gave you

6] Report back what happened
>>
>>39559
OP most likely has an m4v file with h264 video in it, muxing to an avi won't do jack shit since his dvd player is so ancient it can only play mpeg4 video.
>>
>>39566
Ill try this tonight. already have handbrake too.

>3] On the {VIDEO} tab select MPEG4 as the video codec and set quality to 50%

50% meaning half way along the slider?
Says 18 at that point.

>>39568
>since his dvd player is so ancient
Re read my first post, its an in car DVD player
sony XAV-68BT if you want to know
And im trying to play the video files off a USB.

>>39553
Im guessing it works on PC because VLC can play it no matter what, the DVD unit wont though cos it must have those specs I listed.

as you say renaming extension dosnt change codecs, thanks, that answers one part.
>>
>>39566
>Encode and use mkvtoolnix to mux to an AVI file
Different person, I tried that as a test, and it outputs as a Matroska file with a .avi extension according to mediainfo, so that probably won't work. He'll probably have to use ffmpeg to remux.
>>
Oh ffs.

So when I select the source file, it dosnt come up with the audio, and if I click start it says

You must first scan a source and set up your job before starting an encode.
>>
>>39585
nevermind, corrupted original file.

>>39584
I was actually anticipating this anyway, I have found that all programs I had DLed with MKV in the title converts to an MKV, which is no good. Thanks for that.

ffmpg, I DLed this but cant figure it?
>>
>>39591
To use ffmpeg the easiest way would be to have ffmpeg.exe in the folder with your videos you got from handbrake that want to remux, then shift right click in the folder and click "open command window here"
Then you'll want to type:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c: copy output.avi
where input.mp4 is the filename of what you want to convert
>>
>>39599
DL this?

I have it but cant find a .exe amongst the 3000 or so files in it?
>>
>>39605
DL this?

forgot link

https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html#releases
>>
>>39605
you can get it from this page, the instructions are there
>>
>>39547
>>39542
>>39541
He's not trolling, he's illustrating the point. If you were to deregister the codec that decodes h.264, your computer would stop being able to play h.264, and would be like your DVD player.

And then, no matter how many times you renamed the file, it'd (like your DVD player) be unable to play it.
>>
>>39609
>>39605
whoops
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
>>
>>39568
Erm, MPEG-4 Simple Profile *is* h.264; please stop advising.
>>
>>39599
That's not gonna be enough: he's going to have to constrain ffmpeg to Simple Profile, probably scale the video to SD, transcode the audio to MP3 (m4v mandates AAC), and output to an AVI container.

ffmpeg can do all that (maybe not the AVI mux), but not with that command-line.
>>
>>39618
hence why I said to mux his output from handbrake that should already be in a format his dvd player can handle, just the wrong container
>>
Can someone in here know how to open a drd files ?? Help
>>
>>39609
>>39612
I see what you did there

>>39618
>>39622
So what DO i need to do then?

>>39629
http://extension.nirsoft.net/drd

Might need to ask how to use the right one though.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.