Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
2016-01-14 23:57:39 Post No. 32843
Post No. 32843
Hey guys, had my computer facing the other way (back towards me) while sitting at it.
Had a coke zero 2l bottle on the ground close by.
Accidentaly tipped it over spilling some coke zero right into the psu whilst accidentaly also yanking the power cable out a little bit.
My entire apartment short circuited and went dark.
I disconnected everything immediately and turned of all power. It doesnt appear that any coke got anywhere else in the computer, just a tiny bit in the chassi and mostly in the psu, but not a crazy amount.
I plugged in my old psu (700w, more then enough) And everything seems fine.
How do i know if i damaged anything else?
How do i test this?
Also, is it possible the short circuit was from just removing the cable a bit? I seem to have remember something like this happening before.
I asked my friends who are engineers (one in computer science, the other in micro electonics)
and they basically said dont ever use the power supply i spilled shit in again.
Additionaly, i did notice that just now "Nvidia graphics driver has stopped working and recovered" happened. Not sure if related.
It is apparently an extremly common issue, even amongst new pcs. However, among the many many reasons ive found for this issue (faulty psu or gpu) and (failing hardware such as motherboard etc may cause system instability) caught my attention.
Shouldnt the psu have som sort of a killswitch or something? Does this even apply to liquids? Bear in mind my whole apartment went out.
I have a killswitch on my, not sure what you call it...
these types of things.
Not sure if related.
Thanks for helpful advice.