[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend me some serious anime that isn't just a grimdark

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: el.jpg (998KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
el.jpg
998KB, 1920x1080px
Recommend me some serious anime that isn't just a grimdark edgefest so weebs can feel they also watch deep and mature stuff from time to time.
>>
Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong.
>>
Mushishi, Hunter x Hunter 2011, Spice and Wolf. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, obviously.
>>
File: 1448345776226.gif (151KB, 1024x800px) Image search: [Google]
1448345776226.gif
151KB, 1024x800px
Serial Experiments Lain
>>
>>26699
shigurui.
>>
>>26699
Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Don't let its appearance deceive you.
>>
Shiki. There's no such animal as really *serious* dark anime, it's all geared towards youngsters with a very small number of exceptions, but this is a pretty decent overall vampire story.
>>
>>26699
Black Lagoon.
Season 2 specifically.
>>
>>26739
Shiki was okay, MC really makes you wanna not watch it.
>>
k-on
>>
File: 1352056909561.jpg (74KB, 679x427px) Image search: [Google]
1352056909561.jpg
74KB, 679x427px
>>26755
>>
>>26747
>season 2
wait what when are you mixing it up with Roberta's Blood Trail don't fuck with me m8
>>
File: Yamato_2199.jpg (49KB, 401x528px) Image search: [Google]
Yamato_2199.jpg
49KB, 401x528px
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
>>
>>26699
Mushishi
>>
>>26975
Episodes 12-24, second barrage, second season, don't tell me this confused you.
>>
>>26747
I still can't get over the euphoric dialogue but cool guns
>>
>>27123
Eh, sure it gets up its own ass sometimes, but when you consider it part of the entire cheese that makes the show great it's not that bad. Ceese is like that.
>>
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
Vampire D Bloodlust
Ghost in the Shell
Black Jack OVA
Patlabor 2 the movie
>>
Shin Sekai Yori if you want something longer.
Tokyo Magnitude for something realistic.
Higurashi if you don't mind QUALITY.
Some people will tell you the Monogatari series but I personally feel it became a joke.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has deep moments, but it mostly presents as comedy. Long, long series.
EVA maybe, but it's sort of become a meme.
>>
>>26699
Big O
>>
Mawaru Penguindrum doesn't start serious, but it does get fairly deep without being edgy or grimdark.
>>
Ergo Proxy
Serial Experiments Lain
Paranoia Agent
>>
>>26749
>MC really makes you wanna not watch it
The doctor was the best part and had some of the best scenes.
>>
>>27342
It had a lot of little touches that I liked. The fat nurse who dresses sexy in her off time - nobody comments on it, it just happens. Or the one old lady who realizes what's happening - there's no words at all, she just widens her eyes as she realizes, and then later we see her on the bus, staring back at the village very briefly - she figured the thing to do was leave as quickly and quietly as possible, damn shame and all but I'm out of here.
>>
>>26699
Definitely Madoka Magica. Tatami Galaxy and Serial Experiments Lain are great but notorious for Hipsters in their fandoms. Watch it anyhow

Sword of the Stranger, great movie
>>
Moribito
>>
Psycho Pass is alright
Berserk is fucking GOAT
>>
>>26747
>That feeling when neither the Manga or the Anime will get a proper ending
>>
>>26703
Seconding yojouhan shinwa taikei
>>
The problem you're going to come across is that a lot of serious shows don't get made into anime. You should start reading more manga senpai.

As far as manga go you've got : Oyasumi PunPun, Aku No Hana, Alive!, Berserk, etc.
>>
>>27727
Aku no Hana did get an anime though.
>>
>>27739
Yeah but it was shit.
>>
>>26975
Roberta's Blood Trail was an OVA mini season, second barrage is the second season
that said RBT was fucking brutal, the dude that had his chest disintegrated by a rifle took me by surprise
wish i could find my blu ray, didnt have RBT but i just want to watch it again

>>27268
>Higurashi
its like Madoka Magica, its appearance will deceive you, it gets fucking violent
whereas Madoka will emotionally destroy you, Higurashi will shock you will just how bloody it can get. if you like the anime give the visual novel a try
>>
>>27413
i remember how the japs thought the scene where the one vampire gets dissected while shes still alive shouldve been censored, watched it and its not that bad. cultural dissonance i guess, the only amount of blood and gore that'll really get to me is shit like hostel, shiki was tame lol.
wish the novel its based on would get translated
>>
>>28019
regarding the Higurashi visual novel, the original art style might not be that great to look at, i dont mind it but i'll admit that its on par with ZUNs earlier stuff, characters are just too rounded and the style is kinda basic, but there are patches that add the ps2 graphics and they're much better
>>
File: 1435695700909.jpg (514KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
1435695700909.jpg
514KB, 850x850px
Not mentioned ITT:
>Kino no Tabi
>Planetes
>Hourou Musuko
>Texhnolyze
>NHK ni Youkoso
>Haibane Renmei
>Satoshi Kon's filmography

Seconding:
>Mushi-shi
>Tatami Galaxy
>Serial Experiments Lain
>Ghost in the Shell

Edgefest:
>Higurashi
>>
Kara no Kyoukai, watch in release order.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.