[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

COmputer hardware problem?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: Capture.jpg (97KB, 700x539px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
97KB, 700x539px
Got a problem /wsr/ I just got some new computer parts in.
Corsair CX500 power supply
Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Motherboard
And a Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 GHz CPU.

The problem is, a video card a friend was going to give me, which is a Geforce GT 545, doesn't want to work right. When it's plugged in, the screen has red lines Kind of like pic related but a little different.
They seem to move around a lot and at first we thought it was drivers, but after installing the card, there was just straight up no display on boot up.
We thought it might have been AMD files from my old video card, so we deleted every single last bit of AMD and ATI files, even going into registry to do so, but after that the display came back but still had red lines on it.

He tested the GPU out on his computer and it all worked fine. My old AMD R7 240 works just fine and his other little video card he has work just fine too.

I have no idea if it's a motherboard problem but probably not. Or maybe something wrong with the power supply or my HDD?
>>
And now I don't want to buy another video card until I can find out the problem
>>
File: 1363263886802.jpg (131KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
1363263886802.jpg
131KB, 800x640px
>>26342
Burn an Ubuntu LiveCD and see if it works fine. If it does, more than likely you have a driver issue. If you still have weird lines on your display, then you definitely have some sort of a hardware problem, possibly caused by your motherboard or power supply.

At first I would've guessed that it was the GPU itself, since it looks like a problem with video memory at first glance, but I doubt this is the case as you mentioned it works fine on your friend's machine. Speaking of which, what are your friend's specs? This might help us get a better understanding of the problem.
>>
>>26354
I'll get his specs off him when he's on Steam.
We were thinking possibly power supply, since the two small cards worked fine but apparently the GT545 is a power hungry card. He says all he's bought are Corsair PSU and he's never had problems
>>
File: 1344198686544.png (53KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1344198686544.png
53KB, 1920x1080px
>>26354
Friendo here.

The GPU came out of my old alienware x51. I was most recently usuing it in a G3258 overclocked build, which is the same thing I'm trying to build for OP. I've got lubuntu on a flash drive that I'll try out next time, also an HDD with a fresh win7 install.
>>
bump
>>
>>26342
>check for latest video drivers from nvidia
>is this one monitor or dual screen?
>has the friend mentioned any issues?
>does the card produce the same issue from another workstation?
>>
>>26610
Drivers are up to date. Once the drivers are all downloaded and installed, the screen goes black upon restart
One monitor only
No issues with this card before. Buddy brought his computer over and we tested it in his, worked just fine
>>
>>26627
Windows 7? Windows 10?
Can you boot to safe mode?
>>
>>26630
Windows 7, And yes we did boot in safe mode before. I'm thinking something is getting fucked up with the drivers for some reason
>>
>>26632
Go to Device Manager
Try to rollback your video drivers
If this doesn't work, uninstall the video drivers and reboot.
Windows 7 should automatically detect your video card.
>>
>>26636
We did that a few times already. My friend thinks that the old AMD drivers could be fucking something up. So he's going to bring a fresh windows 7 HDD over and the vid card, to see if my HDD is messing something up with the drivers.

All I want is a better video card than this Junk R7 240
>>
>>26643
Oh yeah if AMD drivers or software are still on there that should be all uninstalled as it could cause conflicts. I don't blame you I wouldn't want a R7 240.. I rock a GTX 970. My previous card was a GTX 660ti and ran beautiful. I've had nothing but issues with AMD in the past. My last AMD card was a ATI Radeon Pro 9800.
>>
>>26645
The weird thing is, my buddy uninstalled everything AMD and ATI from my HDD, then also went into the registry and deleted every single file that had to do with AMD and ATI, then after all that, his GT 545 card still didn't work
>>
>>26653
That's very odd.. Hopefully your buddy's fresh Windows 7 installation will resolve your issue. Video drivers can be a bit tricky to resolve at times. Good luck
>>
File: 1450794835483.png (191KB, 400x842px) Image search: [Google]
1450794835483.png
191KB, 400x842px
>>26653
Given the labyrinthine nature of the Windows registry, there's probably still some traces of the old drivers left behind on your system. A fresh install of Windows should help, even if it's just to prevent future issues.

>>26434
Boot it up with the Lubuntu usb first before you install the Win7 hdd, just so you can rule out any hardware issues. Also, make sure your friend's machine has a good power supply.
>>
>>26698
Yeah that's what I was planning.

So we didn't reinstall windows after putting the new PSU, Mobo, and GPU in. Does that matter? I usually swap out the PSU and GPU with no problems at all, but this is the first time I have ever done a build with a new mobo and an existing Win7 HDD.
Probably was a dumb idea.
>>
>>26752
You should always reinstall Windows if you swap the motherboard. The motherboard is basically the heart of your computer, with everything else just being ancillary. Sometimes changing mobos will work, but more often than not it will cause problems.
>>
No offense, but this card seems to be broken. If you also have this when going to the bios, then you are 100%.

I had the same issue with multiple other cards. Mostly static problems. Always be sure to remove static by touching a radiator. Another card I run over with chair....
>>
File: 1363846487806.jpg (4KB, 124x126px) Image search: [Google]
1363846487806.jpg
4KB, 124x126px
If Drivers are the problem I'm gunna be so dissapointed
>>
File: 490274.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
490274.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>26824
Not a GPU issue as I've stated that I'm currently using this card in my personal build. And you can ground yourself from static with anything metal.
>>
File: this.png (552KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
this.png
552KB, 800x600px
Reinstalled win7 on a new HDD and all the motherboard drivers. No nvidia drivers yet because when I install those it causes a black screen on start up, well it did last time. The problem is still here with a fresh windows install, pic related. The lines are warped and moving and there are flickering red lines on some parts of the screen. I have no idea what it looks like on a working computer, or if you guys can even see it, will check that out now and post back.
>>
>>27723
Well problem fixed. It was a god damn bad HDMI cable. Just hooked it up via DVI and everything is fine and the picture looks normal. The weird thing is that this HDMI cable was working fine with my setup, literally 2 hours ago this was working on my computer, but whatever I guess. Thanks for your help anyway guys.
>>
>>27723
>>27724
OMG really? I forgot that one. But it was a hardware issue after all ;-).
>>
>>27724
The HDMI port could be fucked too, but at least it works through DVI.
>>
>>28240
Get a $2 HDMI/DVI dongle, and you can know for sure!
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.