[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anybody recommend any serious manga/anime such as Ghost in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

Can anybody recommend any serious manga/anime such as Ghost in the Shell:SAC?
Preferably none of those over-the-top shounens or the sexualized ecchi mangas/animes.
Kusanagi dresses lightly yes but i can stand it since a popsicle isnt shoved between her breasts constantly and some dude gets fluttered.
>>
>>25635
you make me laugh

20th century boys is a manga you should read.

lain is a serious anime you should watch.
so is haibane renmai.
>>
>>25644
Thanks, they seem neat
>>
>>25635
Jin-Roh is a must.
>>
>>25785
Jin-Roh, Flag, Seirei no Moribito (yes, I think that Seirei no Moribito is more for adults than teenagers).

You know, it's kinda hard, recommending something when we don't know your taste. For example, are psychedelic anime okay (e.g. Paprika, Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales + its follow-up Mononoke)? Is melancholic stuff okay (e.g. The Wind Rises, Makoto Shinkai's stuff)? Are retro-epic movies okay (e.g. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust or Arcadia of My Youth)?
>>
>>25792
Well i can't say that i have an exact taste but i'll list my favs to narrow it down?
Holyland
Berserk
Gunsmith cats
Urusei Yatsura
Maison Ikkoku
Black Lagoon
I prefer not to have too much standing around and talking, more action if that helps. I watched Paprika a week ago and it was really good but confusing. Also watched most of the studio ghibli movies.
>>
>>25785
I've heard that Jin-Roh was mostly political arguments and that kinda stuff? Maybe im just delusional.
>>
>>25901
>I prefer not to have too much standing around and talking, more action if that helps.
How you got through GitS SAC then I don't understand
>>
File: votoms.png (1MB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
votoms.png
1MB, 1100x500px
You might like VOTOMS.
>>
Madoka Magica
>>
>>26446
Yeah i guess you're right, i guess what i meant was useless standing around just talking about whatever.
GitS SAC has some case or mystery to be solved, and i don't know i can stand it i guess GitS SAC just is the best thing i've ever watched and therefore i could stand it?
>>
>>26617
By watching the trailer Madoka Magica seems like a feelgood sugarcoated highschool girls anime.
Am i wrong or?
>>
>>26617
Came here to advocate this.

>>26622
>seems like a feelgood sugarcoated highschool girls anime.
I wouldn't be fucking depressed right now if that were the case.
>>
>>26677
please explain further?
i don't really feel sad if the show is sad.
>>
pretty sure Kingdom would fit under this.

So would Planetes
also Blame!
>>
>>26906
i guess i could read Blame but it seems very emo, Planetes seems... like a really deep story but no action? I cant see where 3 people in space would find any action, kingdom is kinda meh since its in ancient china and is mostly about waging war in a tactical way?

Maybe im just being a dumbshit but they dont seem very appealing, but havent watched them yet so i shouldnt say anything. im a selective cunt with shit like this.
>>
>>26622
It's not that at all, it was advertised like that as a red herring.
>>
>>26898
>>26622
You are wrong, but that's the point. You should watch madoka. Its got excellent themes, its quite serious, and it subverts and criticizes an entire genre while making commentary on life, dreams, and choices. Quite good.
>>
>>26912
Ah, there is a lot of suspense in planetes. Its really good. The characters are very real too, and for a near-future setting it works amazingly well.

There arent fight scenes or bang bang shooty bits in it, like there are in GitS, but you want to know what happens next. Starts a little slow though.
ya really oughta give some of these a try. You may find you are willing to sit and see a little more for a little less action because the story or the characters are that compelling.
>>
>>27140
yeah i get watcha mean, i'll watch it a bit l8r
>>
>>26620
Monster, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, >>26620
Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Utena, Patlabor (OVA + Movies 1 and 2), Area 88 OVA, Yamato 2199, Rose of Versailles (Bare with the Shoujou aesthetic), Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, Terra e, and Shinsekai Yori.

There are many more in manga though. Just search through the classic Seinen series 101 shit and you'll find something along the lines of GitS.

Like here, Battle Angel Alita, Eden: It's an Endless World, Blame, Akira (Manga is superior to the film), and Homunculus are good contenders for all time best Seinen series.
>>
>>25903
Politics are prominently featured because of the nature of the world and the story, but Jin-Roh isn't just about politics. There's not that much action if that's what you mean, but what is there is well animated and very brutal.
>>
>>27327
Thanks for clearing that up
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 700x520px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 700x520px
>>27253
Thanks for the huge contribution.
Pic related: you
>>
>>27327
>rotoscope
>well animated
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.