[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PS1 thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

File: psonelcd.jpg (39KB, 625x499px) Image search: [Google]
psonelcd.jpg
39KB, 625x499px
Let's talk about our recently played PS1 games.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4:
Came out in 2002 but the PS1 version counts as /vr/ and runs on the THPS2 engine. It is the best of the series on the PS1 because of the sheer variety of tricks and game mechanics.

PO'ed:
I was really anxious to get this game after seeing another anon posting it, but I dunno. The enemy designs range from horrible to kind of cool. The weapons are OK, the infinite throwing knives are interesting but most of the weapons are generic Doom-type stuff (with the exception of any shotgun-type weapon). The levels have very vertical layouts, which is okay when you have the jetpack. The controls are fine.

Quake II:
Probably my favorite FPS on the PS1 (still getting the hang of PO'ed). The levels have been downsized/simplified from PC but the game is still quite good. There is full analog stick aiming but keep in mind that the DualShock 1/2 don't really do FPS aiming well. There is co-op and splitscreen deathmatch. Why the hell did Doom, Duke, etc require a system link cable? Was splitscreen too difficult to implement at that point?

Geom Cube:
This is a great 3D Tetris-style game with 3 axes of piece rotation. Pieces can vary greatly in size and shape (more so than Tetris). You can play against the timer, a friend, or an increasingly tough roster of CPU-controlled characters. Every time you clear a layer, it goes on top of theirs.

Also, does pic related exist for the old-style PS1? Is there an off-brand one that works on it? My brother had one and it was the bomb.
>>
>>2967254
>Why the hell did Doom, Duke, etc require a system link cable? Was splitscreen too difficult to implement at that point?

Pretty much. A lot of early Playstation games had to use system link for multiplayer because they haven't really figured out the power of the Playstation™. I know Wipeout 2097's issue was having only system link, but Wipeout 3, which came out in 1999, had splitscreen with game modes that compliment it. This seems to fit in with Quake II, also released in 1999, having splitscreen.
>>
>Crash Bandicoot 2
One of the best 3D platformers ever made. Knowing how Naughty Dog stretched the PS1's hardware to bring those games to life just makes it even better.

>Strider 2
I can't even put my finger on why I love this game so much.

>Croc
It's not the best game ever made, but it's just such a beautifully saccharine nostalgia trip. I feel like an eight year old again as soon as I hear the Ice World theme.
>>
I know the PSone and later systems had those screens, but my Googling fails to find any version made for the old PlayStation. With some modifications it might work, but the original psx has an internal power supply.
>>
>>2968190
>I know the PSone and later systems had those screens, but my Googling fails to find any version made for the old PlayStation.
They didn't. The LCD screen (SCPH-130) was only for PS one. You could purchase one separately or buy it with the console as part of a bundle.
>>
>>2967254
I never owned a PS1 growing up, so I've just gone back to amass a collection of the games I always wanted to play but never did. Here's my list:

>FF7
>FF9
>Grandia
>Wild Arms
>Chrono Cross
>Symphony of the Night
>Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
>Parappa the Rapper

It's JRPG heavy, but as a kid I couldn't into JRPGs. I always appreciated the concept of them, but selecting attacks from a menu just never appealed to me. I remember seeing ads and reviews for games like Grandia in GameFan, and being interested, but knowing that I wouldn't be able to handle it, and as a kid with no income, I had to be particular about what games I asked my parents for. I tried to stick to the ones I knew I would like.

Any other recommendations? I'd like to try some platformers/action games. Rayman is on the list. I was never into Crunch Bandersnatch, though, or Metal Gear Solid. I tend to like arcadey stuff, also racing games, but feel free to jam more JRPGs down my throat, too.
>>
>>2967254
So i recently enjoyed the fuck out of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD7BMhbvnLs
>shill
yeah but did you have a good time?
>>
>>2968269
>also racing games
Ridge Racer Type 4
>arcadey stuff
Densha de Go
>some platformers/action games
Harry Potter and Philosopher's Stone

Also, Valkyrie Profile
>>
>>2968269
Sled Storm is one the best aracdey/sim games out there. Really gets no love.
>>
Well, I've just beaten MGS and SH for the first time. And im currently going through JP SOTN(fan translated).
Next in line are:
Einhaender
Parasite Eve
Valkyrie Profile
Vagrant Story

Speaking of the last two enties on my list. Should I use a guide? I hear those games are rather long and complex with lots of missable stuff.
>>
recently played Kingsley's Adventure.

great little platform game, might go and beat it soon
>>
File: hrist_valkyrie arngrim.jpg (40KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
hrist_valkyrie arngrim.jpg
40KB, 500x370px
>>2968472
A guide that gives you some spoiler-free tips on how to get the best ending wouldn't be too bad because it is pretty obscure. Otherwise, you don't need one.

Make sure to play it on Hard.
>>
>>2968483
(This is about Valkyrie Profile sorry)
>>
>>2968495
Understood. Thanks.
>>
>>2967254
>Also, does pic related exist for the old-style PS1? Is there an off-brand one that works on it? My brother had one and it was the bomb.

no, and the off brand ones for the slim were all garbage
>>
>>2968472
Vagrant Story requires no guide. You will find your own playstyle that works, there are many different ways to approach the game - but keep in mind you will need to use EVERYTHING the game teaches you in some way or another, so don't neglect anything (be it crafting, chaining, magic, etc.)
>>
>Valkyrie Profile
About an hour in, digging the combat although not a fan of dungeons so far. Overall pretty gud

>Tenchu
Fun! Only at second level on Hard but it's a challenge

>40 Winks
Forgot how awkward and awful this game is

>FFVIII
Im not sure if I can stomach playing it given how weird magic is to use, maybe I'll stick around and see if i change my mind

>Tomba 2
Fun to play as always, maybe I'll 100% it someday but for now I'll leave it at 90%
>>
I came across a PSone and screen recently but I had to get a power cable seperately, and I'm going on over a week past the estimated delivery without it arriving yet

I need something to ease the suffering
>>
Shit, I didn't even know THPS4 came out on PS1... I stopped playing them after THPS3 on PS2 (which IMO was the apex of the series and I played the ever living fuck out of it).
>>
Dude! Nice! I was just recently playing THPS4. It's difficult and takes up a lot of time. But its good and I like it. PO'ed is another one of my favorites at one point in time. I don't jump into it anymore like I used to, but when I first began playing through the game, I had some moments of gold where PO'ed was just blissful chaos and i FUCKING LOVED it. But its weird.

My most recently played game that I love is BOARD GAME TOP SHOP. Imagine Mario Party on the PS1... but without the mini games... and very japanese haha.
>>
>>2968202
i love that it has a car adapter, i put this in my car on trips. just chill by the beach, windows open and playing something awesome
>>
>>2968202
Yeah I kind of figured as much but tried to find an aftermarket one, but nothing even comes close to matching. That sucks. I looked for LCD screens for later consoles like PS2/Gamecube/Xbox and they made them. The original PS1 had an internal power supply (like the fat PS2 did) and it just uses a power cord and no AC adapter. Maybe I could rig up something myself (like buy a cheap portable LCD, cut it up, and put it in a gray plastic cover that is hinged to the PS1). It probably wouldn't be worth the hassle though. My PS1 has been acting strange as of late, if it is an actual unfixable probIem, I will consider looking for the PSone model. It's not a /vr/ model per se (made as a revised budget console in 2000), but from a hardware point of view it is probably the best, just like the slim PS2 and PS3. I expected them to be more expensive than the gray PS1 but the prices are actually quite good for the console by itself.
>>
File: 2016-02-03 23_25_23-proGABBEing.jpg (751KB, 857x644px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-03 23_25_23-proGABBEing.jpg
751KB, 857x644px
i've been playing some psx games with a couple of friends, and this is what we've beaten. had a great time overall.

1/3
>>
File: 2016-02-03 23_25_11-proGABBEing.jpg (779KB, 856x642px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-03 23_25_11-proGABBEing.jpg
779KB, 856x642px
>>2969743
2/3
>>
File: 2016-02-03 23_25_31-proGABBEing.jpg (434KB, 858x429px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-03 23_25_31-proGABBEing.jpg
434KB, 858x429px
>>2969750
3/3
>>
>>2969715
I had an intec brand for my ps2, didn't hook to the port instead had an s-video? input on the back and its own power supply, could probably mod the base for button and disk access or make a new mount.
>>
File: 1444895298592.jpg (685KB, 1756x2200px) Image search: [Google]
1444895298592.jpg
685KB, 1756x2200px
Received today the replacement drive for the PSX (SCPH-7502), it didn't work. What should I do, seek another SCPH-7*** or 5***, or just the PS1 will be enough, or simply take a PSX disc for PS2?
>>
>>2971105
Did you desolder the anti-static point on the drive?
>>
>>2969661
mah nigga
i keep one in the center console space of my honda just for that
>>
>>2971132
I wasn't ever of it.
Does drive spin stutter because of that point? I mean, it worked like spin-stop-spin-stop.
>>
>>2971143
*I wasn't aware
>>
>>2969743
How's C-12? I remember it looked rad when it came out but PS2 was already out IIRC
>>
>>2971194
>not that guy buy, it's pretty good.
>>
>>2967254
I recently closed the last gap of my WipEout collection with 2097. Got it cheap from some 2nd hand market. Currently failing the Phantom challenge over and over again but it's still a lot of fun. There's just more elegance in style and controls when it comes to the PS1 games. Later games allow more mistakes (contact with the border doesn't grind you to a complete halt), but are generally more hectic. The PS1 Wipeouts in contrast feel very relaxing, flowing, despite being very challenging. It's weird.
>>
Castlevania Chronicles. It's breddy gud. Love the aesthetics
>>
Crash Bandicoot 1 since I never got to play it growing up. Not bad at all.
>>
>>2971441
My nigga.

Recently played some Namco ports and Symphony of the Night. Both are fantastic. I don't know why I put off SotN for so long.
>>
>>2971194
that guy, it's pretty shit but playable. rather short also.
>>
>>2969661
The thought of external electronics sipping on a considerable amount of electricity power from a car scares me.
>>
Bubsy 3D

I've had fun.
>>
>>2972331
The PS1 is pretty light on power usage at around 17 watts. Even the original gray PS1 uses less than the N64 despite having a CD drive. The PSone uses slightly less power than the original Playstation. The LCD only uses 6.8 watts or something like that IIRC. You should be able to find this on google somewhere. I would understand your concern with a modern console (especially a fat PS3, holy shit up to 207 FUCKING WATTS) but running an older console or laptop in a car is fine.
>>
>>2972331
>>2972373
Also I think the cigarette lighter in a car is ~12 volts and 10 amps, so that's 120 watts. It should be able to output plenty enough to run any retro console and any small-medium LCD. It couldn't handle any 7th gen or later console though (unless you count the Wii).
>>
>>2972331
/o/tto here, you can't pull enough amperage through the aux socket to affect anything. my 7" driving lights pull 36 amps at 400w on the stock alternator (direct to batt) and I never have an issue. anything you can run without blowing the fuse will be fine
>>
File: 20160205_164317.jpg (2MB, 2145x1961px) Image search: [Google]
20160205_164317.jpg
2MB, 2145x1961px
I'm by no means a professional or even hobbyist refurbisher or hard modder, but today my friend showed me a PSone with this weird disc reading problem. Basically it could read discs (as evidenced by the fact that it could show intros or even make it to the start menu of certain games I tested) but couldn't load any further. It'd also make a horrible racket while trying to load.

I'd managed to work out that the motor which slides the laser wasn't working (and games would only load to the first intros or the main menu because the laser could only read the inner portion of the disc) and cracked open the disc drive. I found that all the gears had slipped out of place (no clue how that could have happened) and that even after I had returned them to their original place, the gear circled in my picture wouldn't stay where it was supposed to be, and would get pushed out of position when the motor spun. The really weird thing is is that I couldn't work out how it was originally supposed to be placed, as the little spindle holding it didn't securely fit anywhere and there's no documentation for this laser assembly. I wound up having to drive to the dollar store to pick up some crazy glue so I could glue it in a position that would work. and well it worked.

It just strikes me as odd though because I genuinely could not figure out how it was suppose to go. It's as if there were another part that flew off and totally disappeared.
>>
>>2968472
I never understood why people use guides.
I mean, what's the point of playing a game, when you ate just doing what a guide tells you to do?
>>
>>2972441
One side of my bright white headlights always go out every few months and my dad keeps saying it's because my headunit aux music keeps using too much power. It's bullshit right?
>>
>>2973837
Because I don't like being lost for 10 hours.
>>
Legend of Legaia
>>
File: $_35[1].jpg (12KB, 300x266px) Image search: [Google]
$_35[1].jpg
12KB, 300x266px
I've always been pleasantly surprised by the portable LCD screen.
For such a small and early LCD screen it has a good picture, good viewing angle and really good sound quality from the speakers. I got mine recently and I expected it to be more of a novelty than something I could really play on, since other similar portable screens would give me horrible eye strain. I wouldn't feel ripped off paying full price for this new back in the day.
>>
>>2973837
Older games were pretty shit at any direction sometimes.

Oftentimes I wander around for 12 hours wondering what the shit only to look up a guide and see my first guess was correct except I wasn't standing EXACTLY in the right space.
>>
>>2974179
>>2974998
Well, I understand that and I'm not saying this never happens to me. It really is annoying, but whenever I used a guide it didn't feel like I solved the game which was pretty fucked up, after putting so many hours in a video game.
>>
File: DSCN0121.jpg (130KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0121.jpg
130KB, 640x480px
>>2974123
yes. the headlight housing seal is bad letting moisture in, somebody is touching the bulb during installation or you have a wiring issue in the hadlight harness (most likely a corroded ground)
>>
>>2969743
>bugs bunny lost in time

mah nigga
>>
Rayman 2

This is quite an amusing game and it grew on me over time. I absolutely love it and its graphics are actually very pleasant. Albeit it looks dated, its muddy colors and blurry contours give it an oneiric feeling with a kind of slight unconsciousness. The music is great. It has a superb atmosphere and it is very engaging overall. Its lack of color set the tone of it for me, so I couldn't bear Rayman 1 as it seem to be a silly and childish game.

Diablo 1

This is the current game I'm playing and it's very addicting. I got a level 33 ranger and I just beat its nightmare difficulty without any trouble. Now I'm going to tackle Hell difficulty, it going to be one heck of a ride.
>>
So is there a PS1 emulator that provides filters that simulate a good CRT?

I want to play Suikoden II but can't be assed to pay resellers 150+ ameribucks. I usually don't emulate except for in cases like these, because I collect.
>>
>>2975298
You have any CD-Rs lying around?
>>
>>2975304

Yeah. Don't have a modded PS1, though.
>>
>>2975278
>I couldn't bear Rayman 1 as it seem to be a silly and childish game.

Silly and childish the first 3500 times you die from falling in a spike pit or getting hit by an exploding pressure cooker, maybe.
>>
File: 6037_front.jpg (57KB, 640x598px) Image search: [Google]
6037_front.jpg
57KB, 640x598px
Pretty good so far and I'm loving the soundtrack
>>
>>2976628
I somehow ran out of ammo during the zoo boss. What the fuck do I do?
>>
>>2978124
The worms? Dunno anon, the game practically throws ammo at you. If you're where I think you are, the main concern is getting the new rifle you just got to fire at a rate of 3 bullets. I make sure to reload the gun I use after every fight, but again, bullets haven't been a problem for me.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.