[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird, unsettling retro games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 15

File: LSD_Coverart.png (133KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
LSD_Coverart.png
133KB, 256x256px
The best way to get my idea across is to use a game like LSD. From the graphics, to the art direction, and especially the music, I'm looking for games that can give off a creepy vibe. Doesn't have to be a horror game, it could be, but try and post any game that gives you this feeling. I hate using LSD as an example since that game is pretty atmospheric and interesting than it is creepy.
>>
>>2967146
Honestly King's Field gives me similar vibes to LSD.

They're both on the PSX and have rather similar early first person polygonal 3D eeriness.

I think a big part is that the controls are sort of clunky in both (and amplified by your slower pace in King's Field) and that PSX fog effect is keeping you in the dark so even if you're expecting something to happen it can still catch you offguard and there's this fear that arises from your clunky ass controls and getting the sudden realization that you're in a tight spot (in King's Field suddenly in combat, in LSD suddenly wonder what the everliving fuck you should try and do). Also the audio is great in both, very atmospheric.
>>
Any game that is slightly surreal can be unsettling.

Umihara Kawase (SNES) has photorealistic black and white backgrounds that are weird, and the world is made up for objects as if you're tiny, while walking fish attack you but it's just a dream.

Porky Pig's Haunted Halloween (SNES) can be unsettling at least at the start, walking around a spooky forest where the backing track is more ambiance than music, then you climb a tree and it gets psycho-string-ish. The rest isn't a bad can get occasion provide a good spook (like the opening to the mine level being completely black except for some shit in the background) but it's just a dream.

Earthworm Jim Special Edition (Sega CD) has two addition levels, Big Burty and Intestinal Distress. Big Burty is set on some weird green planet where everything is made of wood and you have to let a red monster thing chase you to make it move outta your way, but it kills you instantly if you get too close. Intestinal Distress is a classical "womb"/inside the body level. Both have music that is more ambient than musical.

Monster Party (NES) is a generally weird game. The first level is probably the worst. Play it and you'll see, I really can't say much without spoiling it. The rest of the game is milder, though the ending is pretty fucked up, but it's all just a dream... Maybe.

Sweet Home (NES) is an RPG set in a haunted house. It can be pretty spooky, although the low techiness of the game detracts from a lot of the horror.
>>
File: 301592-sentient_003.jpg (21KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
301592-sentient_003.jpg
21KB, 280x210px
Hands down: Sentient.

If you figure out what the hell you're supposed to do, it's pretty amazing.

A real shame how bad this game turned out to be.
>>
File: 1446904859963.jpg (41KB, 534x532px) Image search: [Google]
1446904859963.jpg
41KB, 534x532px
>a friend of mine bought LSD for playstation for £1 last year
>i told him how much it was worth
>he returned it anyway because the disk was too scratched
>he would have given it to me if i had asked for it
>>
Op here, didn't realize this thread was still up
>>2967317
Yeah I see what you mean, I think kings field is probably much more horrifying with the monsters out to kill you. But yes audio is very important for those two games, makes them much more atmospheric.
>>2967317
I've played most of those games aside from the Earthworm Jim Sega CD, but good recs either way. You seem to have an appeal to games that end as dreams.
>>2970201
No doubt, I want to pick up a copy one day to play myself, but I'm always disappointed to hear how it's bad despite how ambitious it is.
>>
File: Bad_Day_on_the_Midway_Coverart.png (161KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Bad_Day_on_the_Midway_Coverart.png
161KB, 256x256px
Bad day on the midway

Very bizarre first person point-and-click adventure game.
>>
>>2971784
>The Residents
You didn't need to say anything else, its from The Residents for God's sake
>>
File: yume-24.png (29KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
yume-24.png
29KB, 320x240px
I always compare LSD dream emulator to Yume Nikki. It has a very similar lonely acid trip vibe to it
>>
>>2971904
Alright man, I like that game but not /vr/, it released in 2004
>>
Any more games ? I'm gonna make my friend play all these and get drunk keep em coming.
>>
>>2971986
Rez
>>
>>2971904
Not /vr/ but also when I went into this game having heard all the stories and tales of creepiness and was hugely let down, except for Uboa. This game is a meme now, and I fucking hate the amount of spinoffs and copycats it's produced that are essentially the same except LOL RAPE or VIOLENT MURDER themes getting shoved in your face. At least Yum Noko had some subtly about it.
>>
Blitter boy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5162yRJ2PnQ
>>
>>2972013
I think the music in Rez is too energetic to be unsettling.
>>
>>2974943
This actually looks really cool, but it does seem very strange.
>>
>>2967146
Glover.
>>
File: 45.png (796KB, 972x697px) Image search: [Google]
45.png
796KB, 972x697px
Life Stage Virtual House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6KqF8Z7fgc
>>
Gaball screen - you play as a flying shoe with the goal of collecting CDs to unlock tacky 90s jpop music videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZpwdCtmfh0
>>
>>2975146
>>2975149
Cool.
>>
File: 5432454.png (438KB, 1152x928px) Image search: [Google]
5432454.png
438KB, 1152x928px
>>2975149
This,its pretty much LSD 2.0 (or 0.5 depending on how much you like it)
>>
>>2974967

It's one of those most likely European homebrew games. Most of them are pretty bad. I had a best of compilation on a demo disc back then, and only like 2 of them were genuinely decent games.
>>
>>2967146
The Mario Artist games especially the included "minigames" in them for the 64DD are also quite weird. Also Doushin especially the addon for it is even more stranger.

Completly different game
Normality: Adventure with a quite surreal/futuristic setting.
>>
>>2967146
Ehm ehm... Eastern mind... Chu teng...

And where are you when VR found chu teng and (not osamu game) Garage? And dumped both?

Good time on VR 2years ago....
>>
>>2972113
The games creepiness is almost entirely in its atmosphere, ubuoa is one of 3 jump scares in the game. I coukd see why you would be disappointed, but the game really does creep me out more than something like penumbra or silent hill would.
>>
>>2975146
never heard of this before.
>david statue
yep entering vaporwave levels.
who made this game?
>>
>>2975261
Don't think I'm not aware of all those games and the adventures finding them.
Garage was probably one of the coolest things to see getting founded.
>>
Abbadox on the NES
>>
>>2970285
You should kill that stupid motherfucker.
>>
>>2969939
>Umihara Kawase

I never played the original, but I had the newer one they had on Steam on my wishlist. Still kicking myself for not buying it because they removed it for some reason.
>>
>>2967146
LSD is literally the only reason I have PSXfin on my PC.
>>
File: The_Neverhood_-_box_art.jpg (108KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
The_Neverhood_-_box_art.jpg
108KB, 300x400px
>>
Tecmo's Deception probably
>>
File: IMG_2854.jpg (574KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2854.jpg
574KB, 1632x1224px
>playing last night
>walk up to silhouette of a head
>silhouette suddenly becomes textured with a baby face
>baby face starts stalking me
>turn it off and try to sleep
>slept for 4 hours only
>>
File: 1679374-vlcsnap_00003.png (523KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1679374-vlcsnap_00003.png
523KB, 720x480px
>>2979701
lol same

>>2980423
Yeah LSD freaks me out. Nice physical!

As far as games like this goes, I would definitely recommend Shadow Tower (pic related). It basically has no soundtrack, so the only thing you can hear is ambiance, sound effects, and monsters. Totally gives you no help at all, so you have no idea what to expect, and is seriously one of the scariest fucking games I've ever played.

Oddly enough, I feel like Vagrant Story could fit in to this category of games as well...
>>
>>2980443
Oh, forgot to mention, Shadow Tower is a PS1 game.
>>
>>2979696
It has already returned under a different publisher. They're on sale now too.
>>
>>2967146
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZHUDFnHp40
>>
>>2980443
Always wanted to own a physical copy of this game along side the kings field titles, don't think that'll happen but a man can dream. In the mean time I should play them via emulator.
>>
>>2980782
There's a nice pack with all the King's Field, i don't know if these are games you can play in japanese though.
>>
File: hadd.jpg (58KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
hadd.jpg
58KB, 1024x717px
>>2980443
>Oh, forgot to mention, Shadow Tower is a PS1 game.
>>2980446

If you like shadow tower, you should definitely check out Shadow Tower Abyss. It was never released in English but there is a patch you can download.
>>
File: Marathon.jpg (34KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Marathon.jpg
34KB, 400x300px
I always found Marathon to be pretty spooky, specially those cloaked dudes that throw energy balls at you, they used to scare the shit out of me
>>
File: 1452100729856.png (79KB, 252x248px) Image search: [Google]
1452100729856.png
79KB, 252x248px
>>2967146
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxrnlTMKCjw

9: The Last Resort is an singular and obscure example.

It's a 7th Guest/Myst knockoff, but it has an unsettling art style and drugwhacked imagery.

What's really special about it, though, is it has an all-star cast (James Belushi, Steven Tyler, and others) and was produced by Robert DeNiro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9:_The_Last_Resort
>>
File: 18874-TheDarkEye.jpg (24KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
18874-TheDarkEye.jpg
24KB, 480x300px
The Dark Eye for Windows 95.

I can't get the damn game to work. It's too new for DOSbox but too old for Windows Compatibility Mode. I might need to run a Win95 virtual machine or some shit.
>>
>>2981820
I build a win98 pc just to play old games like this. The dark eye eye is creepy as fuck!
>>
>>2980443

Nice suggestion there. I picked up Shadow Tower long ago from the Flea, since just before that I played Dark Souls and got 1000 gamerscore on it. Was looking to get into King's Field as well and I see the endorsement for that in this thread.
>>
>>2981849
Yeah, I considered building an old Windows computer for that purpose as well, but I'm wondering if there are easier options.
>>
>>2971784
Second this.

This game is fucking awesome. And endlessly replayable, too.
>>
>>2981820
The Mac version runs flawlessly on Sheepshaver (a Mac emulator). It runs better than the Windows version, but it's a pain in the ass to install.
>>
>>2982241
Would you say it's more of a pain in the ass than running virtual Windows 98?
>>
Tail of the Sun and Oh No!. Oh No! is weird shit.
>>
>>2981892
You've accomplished nothing until you can beat a Dark Souls Low-Level or Soulsless game.
>>
>>2984053

I'm not trying to seek acceptance here man! If Shadow Tower or King's field are even more hardcore then colour me rock fucking solid in anticipation.
>>
>>2982419
Yes, but it's worth it in the end. It works like a charm.

The same thing applies for almost every hybrid point and click Win/Mac game out there, except those that run in 256 colors.

Follow this guide: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

Then go here and download this program: http://www.tempel.org/joliet/

Finally, go to Macintosh Garden and download the Mac (or hybrid) version of the game, mount it inside the VM, and enjoy!
>>
>>2967146
You should try I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. I love it to death except the music leaves a lot to be desired, the visuals are awesome though.
>>2971784
DEVO made one too for some fuckall reason.
>>
>>2975149
Seems like a European art version of worlds.com.
On a related not is worlds.com even up?
>>
>>2984465
Both games were made by the same company, who also made The Drowned God and The Dark Eye.

Fucking coincidences, man.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (13KB, 321x241px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
13KB, 321x241px
I've always found the South Park FPS game on PSX/N64 to be really unsettling. Especially when you can hear the turkeys coming but don't know where from. Really unnerving.
>>
>>2984520
Who was contacting whom to get these things made?
>>
>>2970285
are games still worth money if theyre scratched?

or is it possible to repair them?

i have tombi 2 (tomba 2 for ameribros) for playstation one and ive heard its worth quite a bit of cash
>>
>>2985818
yeah take them to a game shop and ask them to do a disc repair, usually costs a few units of currency it worked really well for my silent hill disc i bought second hand
>>
>>2985858
thanks, i shall try that

doubt id sell the game, too many memories with it

but itd be nice to have it in working order again
>>
>>2984523
Honestly? Most N64 games tend to have a creepy vibe to them.
>>
>>2986492
True fir that. But this is in most early 3D games in general, it's a good example for uncanny valley. Also it's not just because of 3D graphics, but also 3D sound which was still under heavy experimentation, since the developers were only used to stereo sound and not experienced enough to simulate a 3D environment completly with graphics, sound and controls. Interesting times and very big step indeed.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.