[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beautiful Small Sprites

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: art of small sprites.png (10KB, 600x263px) Image search: [Google]
art of small sprites.png
10KB, 600x263px
Big sprites are beautiful, naturally, but the same is equally true for small sprites and I think that is often overlooked. It takes a lot of talent to make a distinct, recognizable and good looking small sprite and I love it when it works.
The early days of the Game Boy saw a lot of good examples, as seen in pic related. They respected the small screen resolution and made something fitting for it. Later on sprites got bigger and in my opinion quite often too big, examples of such are also present in pic related. SML2 is an example of that, arguably Metroid 2.

What are you favorites?
>>
>>2965834
>that fucking donkey kong
I never understood why they made pre-rendered shitty 3D models and then turned them into sprites. DKC games always looked like shit to me.
>>
File: metal gear ghost babel.gif (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
metal gear ghost babel.gif
71KB, 500x500px
>>2965850
The first DKL was definitely bad, but they managed to make it work in the successive games. Smaller sprits and less detailed backgrounds. And the animations of the main characters are very detailed. One of the few occassion where I actually like the prerendered sprites.
>>
File: beautifulshit.png (3KB, 269x153px) Image search: [Google]
beautifulshit.png
3KB, 269x153px
>>2965834
Game boy and Nes are a gold mine for these.
Here a few of my game boy favorites that haven't been posted yet.

>>2965850
Totally agre with you. I can understand the appeal of pre-rendered sprites, since it can look awesome if done right. But those 90's 3D models were awfull and looked awfull as sprites too.
DKC always looked too messy to my taste.
>>
File: 8820572.jpg (27KB, 332x208px) Image search: [Google]
8820572.jpg
27KB, 332x208px
>>2965834
I feel classic mega man's 8-bit sprite really accomplished this, very recognizable and able to convey multiple poses perfectly.

I also really love kirby's sprite in kirby's adventure and super star, very expressive and with kirby's simple but appealing design.
>>
>>2965850
Yeah, you're a faggot, no need to broadcast it.
>>
File: Chef0.gif (8KB, 160x143px) Image search: [Google]
Chef0.gif
8KB, 160x143px
>>
File: Untitled.png (14KB, 792x192px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
14KB, 792x192px
>>2967132
>>
>>2965834
>Big sprites are beautiful
no, they're boring

>naturally
exactly, there's no work in making them look good, you get plenty of pixels, just draw and you're set.

>the same is equally true for small sprites
no, it's not equal, because for small sprites it takes skill to make them work, and most are not beautiful. That's why you made this thread, to talk about the few good looking ones.

>The early days of the Game Boy
And then they stopped?

>They respected the small screen resolution
That statement depends on your opinion on what respects the screen size, as shown by your example of Metroid 2.

>examples of such are also present in pic related
These are all monochrome GB. You're implying the GBC fucked things up even more?
>>
File: beautifulshit2.png (8KB, 916x192px) Image search: [Google]
beautifulshit2.png
8KB, 916x192px
>>2967103
>>
>>2965834
Wario Land 2 and 3 are beautiful in terms of detail and animation.
>>
File: non-integer example.png (6KB, 821x464px) Image search: [Google]
non-integer example.png
6KB, 821x464px
>>2965834
>praising the art of small sprites
>butchering it with non-integer scaling

LRN2SCALE REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2967126
You hit the nail on the head. I'm a faggot because I have a different opinion on what kind of sprites look good. Good old /vr/, bastion of maturity. I'm shocked you didn't toss in a kiddo and go back to >>/v/ in there just for good measure.
>>
>>2967158
>you get plenty of pixels, just draw and you're set.

hey are you this guy >>2965561 ? Because neither of you seems to understand pixel art to save your life.
>>
>>2967117
>I feel classic mega man's 8-bit sprite really accomplished this, very recognizable and able to convey multiple poses perfectly.

Original sprite designed by Akira Kitamura, with animations by the rest of the team.
>>
File: lemming.gif (5KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
lemming.gif
5KB, 256x256px
The smallest, and one of the best.
>>
>>2965834
Link's Awakening sprite is still the best retro Link sprite, in my opinion. I suppose Zelda 2's is pretty great, but that didn't have the limitation of working in a top-down game.
>>
>>2968324
Wow. That is pretty based. And to think Miyamoto bitched about animating hair on Jumpman's sprite.
>>
>>2968390
Yeah, it gets enforced when you see how good some hacks make Mario graphics look like.
>>
>>2968324
This is the shit I am looking for. Most of the stuff is way bigger than small, like, average size.
It's especially good, since it's a small sprite on a more advanced system, a 16-bit system.
Troddlers has similar looking characters, probably inspired by Lemmings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc13_0voSEU
>>
>>2967138
Haha. That's cute.
>>
C64 games, like Black Tiger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnIO9JsaCg8
>>
>>2975708
Pretty cool.
>>
>>2975708
That tune is definitely going to be stuck in my head for a while. Pretty sweet. Love SIDs.
>>
>>2967138
Peach showing emotions?
>>
>>2968324
The shrug when a lemming finish its bridge is probably the most expressive thing by number of pixel ever
>>
King of Demons on the SNES had rather small sprites.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3oWNm563H4
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.