[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tower of Doom vs. Shadow over Mystara

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: Mystara-D-and-D.jpg (100KB, 600x389px) Image search: [Google]
Mystara-D-and-D.jpg
100KB, 600x389px
Which D&D belt scroller is superior?
>>
>>2964254
>belt scroller
What did he mean by this?
>>
Tower of Doom, and if you disagree, then you have absolute shit taste in life.
>>
>>2964261
Tower of Doom doesn't have the thief.
>>
>>2964260
>What did he mean by this?

meme did he meme by meme? meme
>>
Whichever one has edgelord wizard and sexy rogue
>>
>>2964265
Mystara.

Wizard was badass in all Capcom beat em ups. He's a boss in King of Dragons, too.
>>
>>2964261

Ah. I was leaning towards ToD anyway, mostly because of SoM's absolutely inexcusable inventory setup, but SoM seems to be the fan favorite for some reason.
>>
Tower of Doom is much better balanced than Shadow over Mystara. However Mystara has a bit more variety in play-style and stuff.

I'd say both are fun as hell, but Tower of Doom while more limited is also more polished.
>>
>>2964254
I enjoy both
Sadly there's no one to play with on the WiiU
>>
>>2964254
SoM, how is this even a question? Tower of Doom has fucked hit detection and mostly less interesting bosses.
>>
>>2964313
>fucked hit detection
git gut
>mostly less interesting bosses
SoM rehashes most of the bosses from ToD though, and the Dark Elf was much cooler and menacing in ToD.
>>
File: boss_shadowelf.png (10KB, 865x400px) Image search: [Google]
boss_shadowelf.png
10KB, 865x400px
>>2964318
>and the Dark Elf was much cooler and menacing in ToD.

No lad.
>>
I can't get past SoM's comparably terrible graphics, even if it might be a bit better in some other respects.
>>
>>2964273
really? the inventory wheel works a little better than press it until you get the right item
>>
>>2964329
Gameplay-wise it sure was compared to that wimp in SoM.

>>2964368
I like how the colors in clothes/enemies change depending on light, also the enemy animation looks a tad better.
>>
File: 1420180171232.gif (692KB, 170x144px) Image search: [Google]
1420180171232.gif
692KB, 170x144px
>>2964254
>belt scroller

..the fuck is belt scroller? It's brawler or beat 'em up, faggot.
>>
>>2964465
This.

OP is a faggot.
>>
>>2964481
>>2964465
You know what it means, so why does it matter?
>>
>>2964485
Because you can't just up and invent a term and expect everyone else to just gallorph along with you.
>>
>>2964260
>>2964465
>>2964481
Have you guys really never heard that term before? Not OP, but I like it because it immediately denotes the type of playfield and movement allowed, whereas even "2D beat-em-up" can sometimes mean that it really is strictly 2D like Mario without the ability to away from/toward the screen. I think that kind is pretty rare, but an example is Kung Fu.
>>
>>2964490
It's not a new term.

Also, I like Tower of Doom better just because of the hud. That fucking item wheel in Mystara is garbage, even though everything else about the game is superior than Doom.
>>
>>2964491
Maybe 'Belt-scrolling beatemup?' I doubt many care about the distinction relative to other beatemup games and group the D&D games along with that beatemup genre in general.
>>
>>2964492
It may not be new, but it's a term almost nobody uses because it sounds stupid and makes no sense.

Let me guess, it's another Yurapeean-ism? Did Australia-kun make this thread?
>>
The combo input in ToD is the most retarded shit ever.
Something like A -> Dow-foward B juuuust as you let go to crouch -> A again.
It's my biggest gripe with that game, doesn't help that Mystara recycled every single enemy from it as well. Not really worth it unless you want to know the full back story to Mystara or something.
>>
>>2964508
Comes from Japan, actually. And now that you know what it means, you can stop shitposting and get back on topic. Thanks, buddy.
>>
>>2964508
>makes no sense
The ground in most beat-em-ups is like a conveyor belt. You mostly move to the right, but you can move a little bit up and down within the strip as well. It makes perfect sense.
>>
>>2964508
http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Belt_scroll
>This term is mainly used in Japan
Get REKD
>>
>>2964508
Australia is not part of Europe, son.
>>
>>2964524
If you don't call it by the proper name you don't know SHIT about videogames.
>>
>>2964526
Australian non-natives are from Europe, retard.
>>
>>2964532
So are most of the world due to colonialism, retard. Does that mean Americans are Europeans?
>>
>>2964521
Oh, so it's weebshit. You're probably the same mongs that call shmups "STG".
>>
>>2964536
Yes, actually. USA belongs to the UK.
>>
>>2964538
I call them spacey shooty bang bang games and if you call them anything else get out of my face.
>>
>>2964538
I just think "shmup" is an extremely stupid word.
I say "shooting game", the only people I talk about them with in real life know what I mean.
>>
>>2964569
What kind of nerd talks about about dot dodging shooty spaceship games in real life anyway.
>>
>>2964517
>The ground in most beat-em-ups is like a conveyor belt. You mostly move to the right, but you can move a little bit up and down within the strip as well. It makes perfect sense.

Exactly, it makes no sense. If the thing/item in question were able to move on its own it wouldn't need a conveyor belt.
>>
>>2964592
Are you done memeing it up, son? Not yet? Ok then, cool.
>le epic argue over semantics memey XD
>>
What's wrong with calling beat 'em ups that play like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, Battletoads, etc. isometric brawlers? Belt is gay.
>>
Wiki calls it 3D gameplay but using sprites for graphics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_beat_'em_ups
>>
>>2964648
makes sense, you move in a z axis
>>
File: 1425768964697.gif (893KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1425768964697.gif
893KB, 200x150px
>>2964569
THANK YOU, anon.

I hate SHMUP. I hate shoot 'em up. Back in the day, we called them SHOOTERS.

>But what about DOOM and DUKE 3D?

FIRST PERSON shooters, mother fucker.
>>
>>2964658
Space ship shooters is what I usually call them. Because, let's be honest, if you're playing where you're not a space ship, its probably super gay.
>>
Both D&D games and King of Dragons are all awesome games and you should play all of them.

>>2964515
That's not a combo, that's a dash attack, and the imput isn't that bad pham.
>>
>>2964939
It's a lot stronger and safer than your default combo.
>>
>>2964635

Not all of us understand geometry, so using geometry terms as if everybody is going to understand what they mean seems a bit pretentious.
>>
>>2964945
Not really, it helps because it's fast but the default combo is still mandatory for most characters.

If you are playing solo, blocking and attacking your enemy from below is a good strategy (block gives you 1-2 secs of invincibility).
Also, Fighter is probably the best class.
>>
>>2964660
Touhou's not gay, familia.
>>
Has anyone tried the Japanese PS3 version ( (Mystara Eiyuu Senki) in RPCS3?
I can't try myself because I don't have a dedicated GPU.
>>
King of Dragons is better. The inventory system in D&D is too clumsy, and most of the items aren't that useful anyway.
>>
>>2964254
>belt scroller
>>2964260
>>2964264
>>2964491
>>2964490
>>2964492
>>2964506
>>2964508
It's what the genre is called in Japan (or close to it at least).

He's being a weeb faggot.
>>
>>2964254

I like both a lot. Cleric is my favorite.

Pressing a button to destroy all undead made me feel so useful to the group. Playing those games in the arcade are some of my most cherished memories.
>>
What brain functionality causes this sort of tribal identify conflict over what words to call things?
>>
>>2965296
git gut
>>
>>2965461
It's called language. It's one of the fundamental differences between humans and animals.
>>
What are some other games like these? Really enjoyed playing them with my brother on Wii U
>>
>>2970089
Dungeon Magic/Lightbringer.
>>
>>2964964
>fighter

fucking casual
>>
>>2970112
Prove me wrong nigger, Dwarf is a slightly watered down fighter, Cleric has ok spells but his combo is shit, and Lucia is only good in late-game because of spells hoarding.
>>
>>2970912
>but his combo is shit

why would you even use cleric combo you absolute nigger/ use his other attcks you black-skinned tribal subhuman
>>
>>2971189
i'd prefer to use a better character you smelly monkey pee
>>
>>2964939
>King of Dragons
humm, i lurked the thread and immediately thought "whoa a D&D side scroller?" im probably too casual for this, but if its just a more complex K.o.Dragons or golden axe i guess ill have to paly this with a buddy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons:_Tower_of_Doom
>Up to 4 players, cooperative
shiit, that sounds fun, i hope a singlecore celeron laptop with two controllers and two keyboards (diff keys) will suffice

>>2964543
>>2964536
>>2964532
all Earth humans are actually Pangeyans
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.