[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best portable NES around? On my dream list:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 18

What's the best portable NES around?

On my dream list:
>no batteries
>backlighted screen
>optional tv support
>famicom compatible
>>
>>2962924
Why not just get a psp? If you can get a hardware clone with a built in flashdrive so you don't have to carry around bulky cartidges I would considrr buying one, but to mee it seems there are too many drawbacks
>>
>>2962924
it's not going to be very portable if there are no batteries
>>
>>2962924
>>no batteries
It's not going to be very portable then.
>>
>>2962932
>>2962932
Surely he means a lithium ion battery included.
>>
File: 41X3B28XR7L.jpg (26KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
41X3B28XR7L.jpg
26KB, 500x414px
>>2962932
>>2962936
Here's a home console by your definition
>>
File: title.jpg (43KB, 800x496px) Image search: [Google]
title.jpg
43KB, 800x496px
Every handheld that takes full-size batteries has looked utterly retarded but the MASSIVE NES cartridges make that thing take the fucking cake
>>
>>2962941
*full size cartridges fuck you guys talking about batteries confused me
>>
>>2962940
That thing has a battery in it you retard.
>>
>>2962941
You could make a portable Neo Geo.
>>
>>2962948
Yes, an internal battery

It does not use batterieS

Read again the thread.
>>
>>2962941
>>Every handheld that takes full size batteries has looked retarded

Yeah man, only the dreamcast vmu looks good, everything else is fucking garbage
>>2962946
I don't even care that you have corrected yourself you are now a vmu snob.
>>
>>2962952
We are going by the "No-homers" rule?
>>
>>2962952
Here's what you put
>no batteries

Next time write what you mean the first time.
>>
>>2962961
That's kind of clever because everything from back in the day seemed to take a multiple of 2 batteries.

2 in the Game Boy Pocket and Color, 4 in the Game Boy Classic, 6 in the Game Gear, Lynx and Nomad
>>
>>2962963
How could you mistake batteries with an internal battery? The plural makes the distintion pretty clear.
>>
>>2962970
You're such a tool.
>>
>>2962978
K
>>
>>2962967
Wonderswan took a single battery, that is fucking obscure I know but why you hating on the 'swan man? Uncool, that thing had digimon and mr driller!
>>
File: Retro-Duo-Portable-V2.0-8[1].jpg (146KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Retro-Duo-Portable-V2.0-8[1].jpg
146KB, 768x1024px
>>
>>2962982
"""""""""""""""""""""""portable"""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
File: g15l-547[1].jpg (444KB, 2000x1374px) Image search: [Google]
g15l-547[1].jpg
444KB, 2000x1374px
Okay first and foremost, this is a work of speculative fiction and the extremely advanced state of Famicom emulation renders this completely unnecessary and excessive.

However, from a purely "best" way to do this, I would start with a Micro-Genius IQ-901 which I believe SHOULD be a true hardware clone as it predates the NOAC. Then I would add a modern slim composite LCD made for a rear view camera and a lithium battery.

Of course something like a Shield would crush it in every way EXCEPT authenticity which apparently gets you mad respect around here.
>>
File: IMG_3883.jpg (571KB, 2136x1424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3883.jpg
571KB, 2136x1424px
>>2962989
>LCD
Fuck that.

A real NES portable needs a portable CRT to complete the /vr/ experience
>>
>>2962982
It's nice that it does SNES too, but what the fuck happened with this design
>>
>>2962991
My ultimate nes portable has a portable tv, but to increase mobility has a back mounted strap that fastens the display 6cm from the players face. For added portability the controller is a powerglove as to free one hand up for switching games. Obviously the hardware needs to be kriginal, so a small satchel containing the original board is worn at the hip, with a hole to run a scart cable through. Cartridges are contained in a backpack, a small filing system is included so that you can better sort your games.
>>
>>2962991
I have 3 of those 5" color CRTs. My wife has made me stop buying them. One of these days I'll tear one apart and figure out how to flip the X axis and build it upright into a tiny arcade cabinet with a mirror.

The beauty of the IQ-901 is that it has an RF transmitter so you could play it wirelessly on any SDTV including one of those.
>>
File: neo-geo-x-gold.jpg (39KB, 600x339px) Image search: [Google]
neo-geo-x-gold.jpg
39KB, 600x339px
>>2962951
>You could make a portable Neo Geo.
Vade retro satan!
>>
>fc mobile 2
Man fuck that thing, I was so stoked when I got it but after like three months the screen on it went to shit. Plus the speakers were terrible, you can't turn those things up more than halfway before the sound gets distorted into a crackly mess. Plus it only played like 70% of my NES games, which all work fine.

I wanted to like it so bad. It was really nice for the brief time it worked being able to play crystalis while taking a dump but the thing was just not made to last at all. Anyone know of a portable NES that's actually made somewhat well?
>>
>>2962928

>PSP

Shit screen, shit d-pad, batteries that leak, shit battery life. Shit hardware. Shit shit shit. PSP is shit.
>>
>>2965084
>no "shit analog stick"

one job
>>
>>2962952
That internal BATTERY is made up of several cells, making it batterIES, fag. Don't nitpick unless you're ready to get BTFO
>>
>>2963017
>Flip the X axis

Just flip it with whatever you are using to (I'm assuming) emulate the arcade hardware.
>>
>>2966028
It'd be a Famiclone or some shit, Bro. I ain't gonna waste a Wii on a project like that.
>>
>>2965084
I've had the same battery in my PSP for 10 years, works fine with a life of days.
>>
>>2966217
>I ain't gonna waste a Wii on a project like that
Don't Wiis cost less than Famiclones at this point?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mzv951BPfF1s580yh.gif (349KB, 242x389px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mzv951BPfF1s580yh.gif
349KB, 242x389px
>>2962924
>>2962957
This has given me an idea. I'm gonna hijack the thread and ask what you guys think of it.

Your smartphone is the vmu that fits snugly in a controller. Ill write a program for pc that lets you use the phone as a second screen, then produce NDS/Wii U dual screen games with it. You can play roms, but it's obviously not retro despite my design sense and insoirations. You guys do seem to be the people with opinions I respect, though, so what do you think?
>>
File: img_4636[1].jpg (189KB, 600x824px) Image search: [Google]
img_4636[1].jpg
189KB, 600x824px
>>2966460
I have so many of these my wife didn't even have to ban them. Now I only buy one if it has a multicart stuck in it. Even a brand new Famiclone costs considerably less than the rock bottom price of a used Wii.
>>
>>2966719
If you're talking about a WiiU/N3DS emulator that can use your phone as the touch screen yes that would be super.
>>
>>2966784
I honestly didn't think of using it that way, but yes. Thank you for the extra inspiration.
>>
>>2966779
>Power Play
Literally costs just as much used as a Wii. Idk where you are getting your price info from, but the most I've seen a used Wii go for is $50, and that's only when they try including a few games which I give zero shits about since I can just banner-bomb it.
>>
>>2966873
I get Wiis for $25-$30. I get those shitty N64 shaped Famiclones for $2-$4
>>
>>2966890
Are you.... Are you even the guy I was originally responding to? You're really just either nitpicking or trolling at this point. If you can get a Wii for less than a tank of gas what would it even be to use one for a mini arcade cabinet?
>>
>>2966909
Well considering I've never paid more than $6 for one of those 5" color CRTs and I'd be using scrap particle board for the cabinet, it would be a disproportionate investment to put a $25 Wii in there.

Also the dot-pitch on those things is so atrocious it'd be kind of a waste to feed it much above Famicom resolutions.
>>
>>2966926
>$25
>Investment
Not anyone in this conversation, but you're saying some mindblowingly ridiculous shit.

I bet you polish every penny you own to a shine.
>>
File: stovetop_01[1].jpg (26KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
stovetop_01[1].jpg
26KB, 420x315px
>>2966934
No, I smelt them because there's more than one cent worth of copper in them.
>>
>>2966005
Yo fag, you realize that a battery is defined as a electrical component with 2 or more cells, right?

The electrical symbol even draws that out ffs.
>>
>>2967083
Oh, really, because the definition I'm looking at straight says "cell" referring to the battery. Also, are you trying to say that the battery meter was designed to a meter? You don't say! How incredibly unbelievable! Or are you referring to the picture of an arrow shaped like a lightening bolt, because how you interpret "cells" from that is beyond me.
>>
>>2962991
The only reason I would do that is for lag.

Could someone tell me the lag one would expect from one of these LCD screens?

If the lag is like 5ms more than a CRT I could live with that.
>>
File: 1370220043434.gif (2KB, 62x64px) Image search: [Google]
1370220043434.gif
2KB, 62x64px
>>2962924
>>2962938
>>2962940
you should have said
>rechargeable battery
instead of
>no batteries
don't be gay
>>
>>2967906
>to the picture of an arrow shaped like a lightening bolt
He's talking about circuit board notation where a battery is represented by multiple cells

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/circuits/Lesson-4/Circuit-Symbols-and-Circuit-Diagrams+
>>
>>2968143
>That link you posted
Fair enough, I'm used to encountering the symbols in pic related, and another diagram I encountered where single, multi, and photo-cell batteries all had different symbols.

Thanks for not being a fag about it.
>>
>>2966719
I think it's one of the silliest fantasies I've heard here is quite a while.
>>
>>2968297
Wow look at that. Also you guys are like family to me. I don't like to troll or shitpost in ways that pollute threads and aren't funny. I just saw an opportunity for learning on all sides.

>>2968838
I suppose it is pretty silly. In order to play anything I'd make on it, you'd need a controller and the second screen software. And it wouldn't be comfortable unless you sent the image to the TV. A hassle.

But where do you feel like console gaming is headed? I feel it's destined to splnter off of the PC via a media center and incorporate your smartphone (for maps, input, inventory, etc) which is what inspired the idea in the first place.

What do you think the future holds?
>>
>>2969025
I see 3 possibilities.

1. VR gamming is picking up steam and the Wii proved that motion controls are viable, so consoles might go the way of VR/AR with interactable components.

2. PCs and consoles basically become the same thing, just with a controller instead of a keyboard. This is essentially what happened this gen though, excluding the WiiU

3. Consoles continue to be basically the same, with weird hardware occasionally cropping up, testing new tech, but has a fuckload of DRM.
>>
>>2969025
>What do you think the future holds?

Another video game crash pretty soon, followed by a generation of consoles that lasts about a decade with 2 or 3 year of focus being on actual story lines and the like, followed by a generation of really good consoles and games, followed by another 25 year decline
>>
>>2969070
>Wii proved that motion controls are viable,
the exact opposite :^)
>>
File: 3TY200J.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
3TY200J.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>2969102
Oh, so that's why we got the PlayStation Move and Xbox Kinect right?

I'm not saying that the Kinect or Move were successful, but motion controls have proved popular, and several Wii games make good use of them.
>>
>>2966719
Good luck making a standard port on the controller that'll fit the 10,000 different phone models out there. That said, I love the VMU and would like to see the idea brought back in some form for sure.
>>
>>2969131
>I'm not saying that the Kinect or Move were successful
lol you can't even finish that fucking argument without self contradicting.
>>
>>2969171
>Bluetooth
>Micro-usb
>Lightning

You now support 99% of the phones made in the last 5 years.
>>
>>2969179
I meant more the 'fitting snugly in the controller' side of things, connectivity shouldn't be a problem. Aren't there already some games that link with smartphones to display extra stats or some shit out there?
>>
>>2969171
It already exists, my friend.

A smartphone as a second monitor app already exists too. It's just that no one has combined these concepts yet as a gaming philosophy.
>>
File: new development.png (208KB, 310x292px) Image search: [Google]
new development.png
208KB, 310x292px
>>2969187
Damn, didn't know this existed. Mixing connectivity with a console game is what you're suggesting, right? That would be pretty cool to use as a regular controller in that capacity.
>>
>>2969192
I haven't had many ideas for it yet since the whole concept just came to me, but I think it works better than the Wii U.

An example : play minigames on your phone while you're out. Then when you get home, plug into the controller system and access a larger more indepth part of the game with rewards and bonuses that carry over from your minigame play.

Also the possibility of infinite players in local multiplayer exists.
>>
>>2969172
>Wii: massive success with record breaking sales and a fairly decent library of good games.
>Kinect and Move: trend followers that failed with maybe one or two good games.
The Kinect's one saving grace is that it's really good for giving robots vision and making cheap 3d scanners.
>>
>>2969186
Rubber coated spring clips on the side with an inch or so total play that would "grip" the phone. Either way they already have such a device.
>>
>>2969213
>An example : play minigames on your phone while you're out. Then when you get home, plug into the controller system and access a larger more indepth part of the game with rewards and bonuses that carry over from your minigame play.
currently doing this exact thing, Pinta's Quest for Skies of Arcadia on the VMU. It's fun as fuck, and as a concept really should be revisited now that the technology supports it better than in '99.
>>
File: PCengineLT.png (464KB, 760x570px) Image search: [Google]
PCengineLT.png
464KB, 760x570px
>>2969213
What if you skip the whole smartphone as a controller insert that plays minigames while out and around and just made the controller a handheld (like the PSP or something).

You'd have two full fledged systems acting as one!
>>
File: ShruggingShoulders-main_Full.jpg (119KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ShruggingShoulders-main_Full.jpg
119KB, 500x375px
>>2969235
Personally I'd say fuck phones and just make an updated VMU device that wouldn't cost the consumer as much as a console.
>>
>>2969235
It could be both, honestly. My goal is to have the idependent scene thinking on a new plateau. Right now we develop games for a controller/keyboard and one screen, or single touch screen. But why limit yourself when everyone has screens laying around in the form of tablets phones and TVs?

I feel it's simply better to have multiple screen potential. Theres no downside.
>>
>>2969234
That's great, I'm gonna look this up now. I have all these ideas, but honestly I missed out on the dreamcast entirely, haha.

It was definitely way ahead of its time.
>>
>>2969254
A lot of people missed out on it, the downside of only being on the market for 18 months. It really was ahead of its time though, between portable memory card games and online games through the modem there was a lot of new ideas there. Also if you didn't already know, the DC plays burned CD-Rs without modding, so it's worth picking one up if you have the chance and wanted to explore something you missed out on.
>>
File: portable.jpg (110KB, 600x380px) Image search: [Google]
portable.jpg
110KB, 600x380px
>>2963006

Is this you?
>>
So... no portable NES, uh?
>>
>>2970146
Hey! Who uploaded pics of me as a child! Creepy! But seriously, that is the best trrrible product I have ever seen.
>>
>>2970160
Just get a fucking gamepad addon for your phone, portable hardware accurate nes games are fucking ridiculously overkill. Or a psp.
>>
>>2969025
PC gaming is going to be a thing for a long time. You can't put a God tier CPU and GPU into a phone or media center.
Same goes for consoles. Nintendo might as well move to smart phones. It would give their consoles more power.
Mobile gaming has always been a thing. There's just more people doing it because phones are more powerful.
If anything's going to die it would be handheld console.
>>
>>2970169
>Or a psp.
Best option for a cheap NES-in-pocket, putting CFW on one is ridiculously easy and you can easily dump the whole library to an SD card via a SD-to-produo adapter (like a buck on ebay)
>>
>>2962924
>portable NES
Nintendo never made a portable NES. Some modders have made them but they're rarely for sale.
There are plenty of portable famiclones around. Each is worse than the other.
>>
>>2965084
I'm sure all that applies to shitty clone console handhelds as well. At least a PSP doesn't require you to lug a bag full of NES carts around.
>>
>>2970146
>1990
>see kid carrying this to school
>beat him up and steal his entire game collection

Shit was totally worth it. I only got probation for assaulting a minor.
>>
>>2965084
Have you even tried any of those retro handhelds? If you're picky enough to shit on the PSP's pad, please never buy any third party handheld.
>>
>>2965084
Batteries thay leak? I literally have a launch day psp that to this day still charges and has never leaked.
>>
>>2972158

Still got the carts?
>>
>>2962924
>emulation
>that requires the original cartridge

Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to die. You're putting wear on your carts for none of the benefits of using original hardware. This shit is beyond hipster.
>>
>>2972232
They're thinking of a botched pandora battery.
>>
>>2962924
build a raspberry pi 2 with retropie on the card and with a screen, and battery bank, load retropie and on roms on + rig a controller.
>>
>>2974442
RPi shill please fuck off why would you do that instead of buying an Xperia Play for $20?
>>
>>2974442
I'd like to do that but the cost of all those parts add up. If I just got a 5+ year old Chinese handheld emulator and put a raspberry on it do you think I could pass it off and get the hipster cred? Is there a way to underclock an old jxd to run as slow as a pi2? Do you think any of the pi crowd would be old enough to recognize such old hardware and call me out?
>>
>>2969187
Ive got one of those, they are bulky as fuck but do the job, cant really take them around with you
>>
>>2962924
why they fuck wouldnt you buy a everdrive and build it into the internals?
>>
>>2975120
Why not just run a conventional handheld emulator?
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.