[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conker's Bad Fur Day. Were Nintendo just beyond giving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

File: 1104488-gfs_41917_2_70_mid.jpg (29KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
1104488-gfs_41917_2_70_mid.jpg
29KB, 540x405px
Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Were Nintendo just beyond giving a fuck by this point?
>>
>>2952885

I really don't think Nintendo had much say in BFD at all. They had pretty much given Rare free reign at that point. Nintendo didn't publish it though unlike most other Rare games at the time, so they must not have appreciated it.
>>
>Were Nintendo just beyond giving a fuck by this point?

Nintendo has never been like that - they manage their image meticulously.

CBFD was the answer to the criticism that the N64 was solely for child-friendly games and that they weren't interested in competing for the post-12 crowd.

They did the same thing again with Mad World on Wii.
>>
Game sucks
>>
>>2952901

Excellent post, m8
>>
>>2952890
I've always wondered about this title.

You could almost sense Rare's hostility to Nintendo throughout the entire game.

Even the pre-titles animation seemed like a big FUCK YOU to Nintendo, with Conker murdering a quivering N64 logo with a chainsaw.

Maybe there was some bad blood between the two behind closed doors, I dunno.

But I seem remember around this that Dinosaur Planet was cancelled for the N64 and retooled as StarFox adventures for the GameCube. I don't think that went down well with Rare at all.
>>
>>2952908

Yes. Yes there was indeed "bad blood" between the two. You can stop wondering.

Though, in all fairness, Conker didn't start out as a game to package all of Rare's "fuck you's" into. It was simply yet another cutesy platformer. Then, like BK, the madness started.
>>
>>2952914
The devs did a let's play a few years ago and pretty much confirm that Nintendo was kinda being dickish to Rare during the late N64 early GC era. The devs said they basically had free reign on the game after it was pretty much going to be canceled.
>>
>>2952908

There was no bad blood. Every single interview I've ever seen with Rare and the development team behind Conker held a deep admiration for Nintendo and were happy as clams when they pitched the final version of the game to Nintendo of America and they laughed and were fine with it.
>>
>>2952908
If I had to work with a company as shitheaded as Nintendo, I'd be fucking pissed like Rare was too.
>>
>>2952914
Also I wouldn't say there was "bad blood" but more so growing animosity between Nintendo execs and Rare because their production started to drastically slow down. They went from releasing 2-3 games a year to delaying things and contributing to drought of games that plagued the N64 towards the end of its lifecycle.
>>
>>2952931
Nintendo was probably bored as fuck with Rare, most of their out-put were shameless ripoffs of Mario 64/Ocarina of Time.
>>
The only offensive thing about this shit game is that people are trying to charge 100 bucks for it these days
>>
>>2952937
>Jet Force Gemini
>Blast Corps
>Goldeneye/Perfect Dark
>Killer Instinct 2
>Mario/OoT ripoffs
Shut the FUCK up, kid.
>>
>>2952937
The games were similar because Nintendo execs like Miyamoto constantly flew in to check up on Rare make suggestions (aka micromanage) them constantly. The reason Rare was sold was because their production had slowed to a crawl. Simple as that.
>>
>>2952927
>Nintendo of America
>relevant
>>
>>2952947
Banjo Kazooie - Mario 64
Banjo Tooie - Mario 64
Donkey 64 - Mario 64
Diddy Kong Racing - Mario Kart
StarFox Adventures - Ocarina of Time

I'm a 2nd generation gamer btw.
>>
>>2952962
>I'm a 2nd generation gamer btw.

Lol wut

Also Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct Gold, and Jet Gorce Gemini were nothing like anything made by Nintendo so what's your point?
>>
>tfw Rare is dead

So, who does Dave Wise compose for these days?
>>
>>2952885
>Were Nintendo
>Were

Nintendo isn't more than one entity. Even though the company employes several respective individuals, we're talking about the company itself as a singular object. How "were" could possibly sound natural to you is beyond me. I swear, you Europoors and your wacky dialects.
>>
>>2952972
He 's winding you up
>>
>>2952972
It means I've been playing video games since the Atari days, since you clearly think I'm a child.

StarFox Adventures is the perfect example of Rare's output - a soulless, charmless facsimile of a greater game.

I'll always love GoldenEye.

Jet Force Gemini was ambitious (would have been great on Wii ironically).

Blast Corps was interesting but heavily flawed.

Perfect Dark was meh.

Killer Instinct? Do I really need to point out what game THAT pile of shit was ripping off?
>>
>>2952986
Actually, it depends where you live. In America, collective nouns are treated as singular. In Britain, collective nouns are treated as pluaral.

Seeing as Britain gave the English language to the rest of the world, I would side with them.

You can't blame Europe just because Ameritards have butchered their own fucking language.
>>
Were there any other games that genre-bended as hard as Conker did?

I'm still kind of in awe as to how often Bad Fur Day becomes a completely different game with different controls, dynamics, vehicles and abilities that you have to learn to utilize immediately.
>>
>>2953450
Battletoads? Maybe not to the same extent though.
>>
File: 220px-Bayou_Billy_box.jpg (36KB, 220x310px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Bayou_Billy_box.jpg
36KB, 220x310px
>>2953450
>>
>>2952924
>>2952914
>>2952908
>>2952931
>>2952948

SOURCE
O
U
R
C
E

As far as I'm concerned, you guys are just making stuff up.
>>
>>2953450

Not sure, but Banjo Tooie does this to a lesser extent. I mean, it has football and an FPS section.
>>
Nintendo definitely wasn't happy with it and something must have gone down behind the scenes, because they flat-out refused to advertise the game in Nintendo Power. There was no review in the magazine, no promotions at all other than some raunchy late-night commercial on Comedy Central or something like that. The game sold miserably.
>>
>>2953532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fcid8H3bbo
Holy shit
>>
>>2952962
>2nd generation gamer btw.
oh so you were already an adult when N64's became a thing. I see.
Most of us were kids when these things came out, mad nostalgia.
>>
>>2953532
NP had a policy to never review games rated M.

They also advertised......... in Playboy of all places.

The marketing for the game was objectively retarded.
>>
>>2953556
Really? I remember them doing a review of Perfect Dark back when it came out.
>>
>>2953510

Sorry, I don't have time for jackasses that think pseudo-crosswords are witty or amusing. Fucking Google it or simply believe we're full of shit.

>>2953014

Except Starfox Adventures wasn't at all the product they intended to make. You can directly thank NOJ for that bit of executive meddling champ.

>>2952962

And here's more retardation by you! Protip: 3D platformer != Mario64, Action Adventure != OOT, they're names of genres and those games happen to be topnotch examples thereof.

>>2952956

This. NOA is simply an Uncle Sam puppet with NOJ's hand jammed up its ass.
>>
>>2952983
Nintendo.
>>
>>2953591
>This. NOA is simply an Uncle Sam puppet with NOJ's hand jammed up its ass.
Nice sources
>>
>>2953591
why must you be so prostate miffed
>>
>>2953510
In Rare Replay, they briefly mentioned that Nintendo was actually (at least somewhat) supportive of the game, but I don't know any other sources that might say otherwise. But then, they might not be allowed to flat out say "Nintendo hated it".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAbetSJEBk
>>
>>2953591

It's the responsibility of the person making the claims to provide a source.

lets say you read the work of a historian and discover that there are no sources in the book. You write him a letter and he says "WTF YOU IDIOT USE GOOGLE". That's just not the way it works. Until you provide a source, your arguments and claims are invalid.
>>
>>2953618

Why couldn't they? They don't work for Nintendo.
>>
>>2952901
I'd never considered it from this point of view until I read this thorough, well-thought out post.
>>
>>2952983
He's recently worked on Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze.
>>
>>2952986
>>2953232

you're both retarded because they're both perfectly valid and have equally justifiable reasons for being either a singular or plural verb.
>>
>>2953014
>didn't enjoy KI2, or probably didn't even play it on arcade and lumps it in with KI1
>preferred the worse Rare N64 FPS
>Rare making soulless games when Banjo has 100x more soul than Mario
>still thinks Rare only ever copies Nintendo even after being proved wrong

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>2953626
True. I might just be trying to see things where they don't exist.
>>
>>2953532
Why the conspiracy theory?

It's entirely more likely that CBFD had more raunchy humor than anything else on the NA Nintendo systems and NP, being the family friendly publication that it was, decided that it was a bit too much.

On top of that, Conker was a series where the original game was a very kid-friendly game. They probably didn't want to confuse anyone, so they just opted not to review it.

Don't mean to come down on you, but that "Nintendo wasn't happy" shit is something I've seen on these boards more than once and I've never seen a lick of evidence to support it.

On top of that, given that Nintendo essences the games that appear on their systems, the theory makes no sense. If they were really that unhappy with the game, they would have just told Rare no. Especially considering that they literally owned Rare at the time of CBFD's release.
>>
>>2953646
Banjo has 100% more soul than Mario?

What kind of madness is this?
>>
>>2953450
It was a thing in European 8 bit computer games where Rare can trace its origins from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv5ecRz58WI
>>
>>2953676
>On top of that, Conker was a series where the original game was a very kid-friendly game.

Did Conker even have an original game, beyond appearing in Diddy Kong Racing?

I think you are confusing it with Mr. Nutz.
>>
>>2954241
Yes, Banjo has one-hundred times more soul and charm than Mario. Grunty alone shits all over anyone from the Mario universe.
>>
>>2953014
So you're a 40 year old guy who endlessly argues with millennials on a forum about children's toys. Got it.
>>
>>2953510
There's a lets play where the lead devs of Conker talk about what led to the game being created.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VgtAXCaSlpk
>>
>>2954241
I know, that's such a hilarious thing to say.

If you think Mario 64 has no soul, you're just falling victim to the "Seinfeld is unfunny" trope.
>>
>>2954448
Conker's Pocket Tales on the GBC.

DKR might have been his first appearance though, I can't remember.
>>
>>2954464
he didn't say mario had no soul, he said that banjo has way more soul than mario (which it does 2bh)
>>
>>2954464
No games has "soul", but they can be charming, fun, entertaining and memorable nonetheless. Souls are reserved living, organic things.

And Seinfeld is an absolutely unfunny, forced jewish attempt at humor. If you think it is funny your sense of humor is below pleb-tier.
>>
>>2954521
Go fuck yourself. You go fuck yourself hard.

You can shit all over every game I love, I don't give a fuck. You can call my mother a dirty whore with a smelly cunt. You can say whatever you want, but when you insult Seinfeld, that's where I draw the fucking line.

I hope all of your friends leave you.
>>
>>2954448
He's talking about the scrapped prototype twelve tales, or the gameboy game pocket tales.
>>
>>2954516

Will you guys stop? This is a pointless argument. There's no definition to "soul". It's a completely subjective and personal thing. All you can do is go back and for saying "yes it does!" and "no it doesn't"!

Let's try and make this a good board. Refrain from these arguments and don't reply to those who try to incite them.
>>
>>2954448
In case you haven't seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ceNFV2yz4
>>
According to the Rare Replay (posted here: >>2953618), Nintendo actually supported the game, just as long as it didn't fall into the hands of minors. I would imagine that NoA was against mature games not because of moral issues, but because they didn't want batshit insane 90's parents saying that their games (and therefore their consoles) were harmful to children (which happened enough without the mature games anyways).

>>2954521

>hating on Seinfeld

Yeesh, next you're gonna say that Curb is shit too
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.