[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
I just spent $500 on this game, on my credit...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13
File: IMG_0382.jpg (305 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IMG_0382.jpg
305 KB, 1280x960
I just spent $500 on this game, on my credit card. starting my retro game collection. Is this game actually good as they say?
>>
Lets see the inside.
>>
File: 1453098887779.jpg (10 KB, 399x382) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1453098887779.jpg
10 KB, 399x382
>>2951118
> $500
> not even factory sealed.
Ya done goofed.
>>
Looks like an interesting game with Chinese Claire Redfield and the Helmasaur King. Good buy, next buy Little Samson.
>>
>>2951118
now hotglue it
>>
>>2951118
You could've just burned it if you wanted to play it that badly.
>>
Does the disc have scratches?
>>
>$500 for actual disks
>next to nothing to burn disks and play them via swap trick
Goofed.
>BAWWW SWAP TRICK KILLS THE SATURN
Been using it for years and years and years and my Saturn works as well as it did when I got it about a year after its release. Don't be so goddamn rough using the trick, it's possible to do without fucking up the motor, you know.
>>
>>2951126
sealed games are too expensive,
plus you can't even play it.
>>
>>2951134
>>2951141
There is no Sega Saturn emulator though
>>
>>2951118
Collectorfags are dumb. They don't even know the product they're investing in well before they take the plunge. They only care about its 'rarity'.
>>
>>2951118
>$500
If you are lucky you can get a retro system, a NV1 + Panzer Dragoon for PC.
>>
>>2951118
>Is this game actually good as they say?

Next time you try this bait leave this part out. No one is stupid enough to drop $500 on a game they never played.
>>
>>2951180
:(
>>
File: at-orgasim.gif (1018 KB, 292x235) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
at-orgasim.gif
1018 KB, 292x235
>>2951153
>spends $500 on a used game he's never played
>suggests burning a game
>"There is no Sega Saturn emulator though"
/vr/ isn't a care center for the mentally handicap. You should leave.
>>
It's good, but it's not $500 good.

That also goes for any game with a price point in the triple digits or higher.
>>
>>2951193

You do understand he's referencing a meme right?
>>
I think you need a baseline $$/time played to equate whether or not a game was "worth it".

I equate that baseline to 10/hour or less usually.

Going to a movie is like 20 bucks for snacks+ticket and it's usually around 2 hours.

So 20/2 = 10 as a baseline for entertainment.

For 500 bucks, you'd need to get 50 hours played to be "worth it". Of course, since it's something you physically own you could also play it multiple times so it very well may get you 50+ hours of playtime, but I think PDS is actually short iirc.

I think thats what people don't get on /vr/. You could spend 100 bucks on Chrono Trigger, and if you get 30 hours in it, you probably got your money's worth. Same with spending something like 200+ on Tron Bonne or Wild Guns, as long as you play it and enjoy it enough then you get your money's worth.

Some games have inherently higher value due to length (JRPG's, mystery dungeon games) and others due to being short and replayable (things like megaman)

If you bought it for shelf candy then you can do whatever you want with your money, but I'd rather just stick a fat stack of 500 1's on my shelf then Panzer Dragoon Saga.
>>
>>2951253
Well it is an investment as well, there are only 20,000 of these babies in existence, and probably only 3,000-4,000 remain. I can see this selling for $10,000 in 20-30 years.
>>
>>2951153
What does that have to do with anything?
>>
>>2951118
I spent $200 on Misadventures of Tron Bonne only because I won $800 in a work contest. And then it came out a month later on PSN. I can't imagine ever paying $500 for one game, and honestly Orta looks more interesting to me.
>>
>>2951284
Nah, I doubt it. Most things have a limit. The game isn't particularly culturally significant and, although in limited quantities, it was mass produced and available to the public. It might go up, but "rare" things don't necessarily have room for nearly unlimited growth.
>>
File: HPIM1086.jpg (735 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
HPIM1086.jpg
735 KB, 1600x1200
I just spent $6,000,000 on this sealed copy of SimFarm. Did I do good, /vr/?
>>
>>2951253
I'm glad you brought that up anon, because I would agree with you entirely on the $$$/hour value of anything.

I personally shelled out $180 on a "Bomberman 64 bundle" with all three Bomberman titles on the N64 a few years back.

Counting the multiplayer endeavors as well, the bear minimum I've gotten out of that "bundle" must be above 100 hours at this point in time, so in my mind $180 / 100+ hours, well, you can already see that's better than a movie's value.

But that doesn't take into a account that I fucking love the Bomberman series either. I look at that shit on my shelf and think "damn, I love bomberman" it brings joy to my feeble, purposeless being in this world.

If OP really gets something out of collecting for the Saturn then, well... good for him I guess.
>>
>>2951307
if i looked at a game on my shelf and remembered that i paid $500 for it i'd feel like a schmuck
>>
>>2951284
I think the "ultra rare" 10k+ is going to be reserved for stuff that well... wasn't fucking mass produced.

20k = mass produced.

Magical Chase wasn't. Magical Chase was a mail order only thing, which most likely meant it only made as many copies as were ordered, with maybe a few extra.

NWC carts were produced in something like the hundreds, and the gold was what, like 10 or something absurdly low?

Stadium Events, one of the other "holy grail" items just had a really short time on the shelf and they were taken down and rebranded as world class trackmeet.

PDS was a retail game, that didn't get pulled. It's unlikely it will ever reach over 2k. 1k probably at some point, but Sega Saturn isn't a popular system, and the majority of collectors are after Nintendo stuff, becuase nintendo fans are fucking morons.
>>
>>2951319
>>2951284
>>2951253
20k isn’t mass produced by any entertainment medium’s standards. That’s less than a lot of test samples.

I personally think there’s more than a few thousand only because PDS has always been worth money. But I wouldn’t be surprised either.


Of the games you listed Magical Chase is the only “good game” there and it also has that it’s the best version of that game going for it.
NWC carts only matter for history.

Others are just rare but trash games to be honest about it.

PDS has rarity and the fact that it’s considered an amazing RPG by many. Even one of the best or the best. Add that SEGA is severely underappreciated in certain aspects (not modern Sonic) and you have something that is only going to go up in value. I think it’ll peak at $800 for a mint copy. Possibly a $1000.

Regardless, it will be the most expensive good retail game of the 5th generation.
>>
>>2951342
>That’s less than a lot of test samples.
citation needed
>>
>>2951347
Vinyl? Is that really a question?

I mean sure it just gets recycled but there's a ton of test copies made in that industry.
>>
>Is this game actually good as they say?
>caring about quality of games you collect

Literally the only reason to collect games is because you're gambling they'll increase in value. If you want to play games then emulators/flash carts/cd burners give a better experience.
>>
>>2951373
I'd normally agree with you but Saturn is a special exception.

Even if emulation became perfect (it's pretty fine atm) you can't get that same experience with that controller. The USB dongles don't do it justice.

Ya it's a minor point but it's something special with the Saturn and is a point to play on real hardware.
>>
>>2951342
In the world of videogames, the only things I see with much true significance are prototypes and contest giveaways and recalled items. They have more significance and in the case of protos were produced in extremely small numbers, used for a limited period of time (either by devs or testers or shops or the media), and never meant to be in public hands if not meant to be outright returned to the company for destruction or storage. OP's game was sold in stores to anyone with the money. That isn't to say it is worthless by any means, just that I don't see it having a potentially unlimited value climb. In fact I don't even see such a capacity in the items I mentioned earlier.
>>
>>2951379
Those are novelty more than anything. Unless you're after the history of something then prototypes are worth very much to you.

Another thing I forgot to mention about PDS is the source code supposedly being gone. Making a remake that would already be unlikely even more incredibly unlikely.

PDS is a game that appeals both to collection whores and people that just want to have the physical copies of good games.

I still think it’ll peak at $800. Unless video games really go crazy. I base that off of games like Little Samson.
>>
>>2951118
Rich or not, you're an absolute idiot. 500$ for a video is full retard. There is nothing hardcore collector about it. Its just plain fucking stupid. Enjoy your plastic OP.
>>
>>2951118
>just spent $500 on PDS

Did you at least check in between your couch cushions before spending that kind of dough on PDS? Never know you could get lucky like some anons on here. One guy even found Earthbound for one dollar! Crazy stuff.
>>
>>2951436
I found Little Samson behind the seat of my shitty second-hand car. The box and manual even survived pretty well!
>>
>>2951253
Well fuck your movie tickets are insanely expensive.
>>
>>2951476
In Belgium you pay 12-15 euros for a movie depending on length and whether or not it's 3D. Snacks can cost another 5-7 euros. Movies are fucking expensive.
>>
>>2951118
I just spent $1000 on this game, on my credit card. starting my retro game collection. Is this game actually good as they say?
>>
>>2951491
that must be in australian dollars
>>
>>2951491
Its just a shitty Dragon Quest clone m8.
>>
>>2951491
Undertale did it better.
>>
>>2951493
Cause the pic is upside down?
>>
>>2951118
Hi OP. I just bought the game recently too. Welcome to the PDS club!

Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, so I don't know if it lives up to the hype or not. Make sure you watch the cutscenes for Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei on youtube before playing PDS. The story continues from the first two games.
>>
>>2951493
>Australian Dollars

Oh, you mean Dollarydoos?
>>
>>2951118
I paid $30 for the import version. Still completely playable. All you need is a translation handy while you play.

>Is this game actually good as they say?
I honestly thought it was overrated back in '98 and I still hold this opinion.
>>
>>2951118
>I just spent $500 on this game
>on my credit card.
>Is this game actually good
boy i sure hope this is bait
>>
>>2951657
How is PDS overrated? It barely gets talked about outside of RPG circles.
>>
I want this to be true and I also want it to be counterfeit.
>>
>>2951657
It is one of the most detailed RPGs ever made, both graphically and content wise. It is definitely not overrated, it is just a victim of the retro price inflation.

Its only fault is that the game is way too short, you can finish it in a few days, and the ingame world is a bit small. I guess that's the cost of the insane amount of detail though... you can inspect everything in the game, such as every single thing on the shelf of a store.
>>
>>2951657
>paid $30 for the import version

Not really relevant to the OP. He also could have gotten a modchip and had access to the entire Saturn library for free. He clearly just wanted to own it for the sake of owning it. It feels good to own a high-demand object that not everyone has. As a collector myself, I understand completely.

>>2951668
It's barely talked about even inside RPG circles. I didn't know it existed until I went looking for info on Saturn collecting.
>>
File: 4L_bLY7MKZ9.png (207 KB, 640x349) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
4L_bLY7MKZ9.png
207 KB, 640x349
>>2951158
>being so severely mentally handicapped that you think this is a logical conclusion to jump to

That said, I collect games, but I have no idea why people spend "collector" prices on any of this stuff. Conker's Bad Fur Day is consistently $80-100 and that game is atrocious, but lustfully sought after by collectors. Are they just kids with a first job who saw it on YouTube or something? Legitimately I don't understand or see the appeal of throwing hundreds or thousands at a game.

Also OP is baiting.
>>
>>2951718
Why do you think OP is baiting? I'm pretty much in the same situation that he is, although I spent $400 on the game instead of $500. I've never played it, and know nothing about it except that it's supposed to be really good.
>>
File: 18j1nvtj9fn9kjpg.jpg (28 KB, 470x265) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
18j1nvtj9fn9kjpg.jpg
28 KB, 470x265
Hey guys I just bought this rare Nintendo DS model NES-001 for $11000 I think I made a good deal here
>>
>>2951295

Orta is super good too.
>>
File: soundsfair.png (346 KB, 1463x514) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
soundsfair.png
346 KB, 1463x514
>>2951718
"Collector" prices? Whatever do you mean? Supply and demand, these are fair prices!
>>
>>2951728
This pic can't be real
>>
You paid 10x as much as you should have for a game someone wanted as a kid 20 years ago, so you kind of got raped. Nobody at Sega would have wanted this.
>>
>>2951749
Get back to /v/reddit
>>
>>2951750
Nobody is left at SEGA to care about it.
>>
Bait thread?
>>
>>2951517

Just play them too. They're great games.
>>
>>2951759
Guy you replied too, I actually have PD and PDII as well and I'm going to play them before I play PDS. I just figured that since playing Saturn games in general can be a bit of a hassle, OP should know that he should at least know the story from the first two games before playing PDS, and also play them if he wants to.
>>
>>2951746
No one is going to pay that BIN price. People put up absurd BIN prices on very rare items like that just as a way of saying "make me an offer". But if it does sell, it will sell for thousands.
>>
>>2951767
Play Zwei if you really want to learn about the story since it plays a bigger role but you can play PD if you beat Orta once on xbox. so get that port instead.
Zwei -> PD-> Saga -> Orta.
>>
>>2951743
>Orta is super good too.

Orta is one of the best looking games on the system, it almost looks like a X360 title.
>>
>>2951826
>playing games out of order
Did you watch the prequels before the original Star Wars trilogy too? You daft ponce.
>>
File: 1430211066535.gif (1 MB, 250x233) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1430211066535.gif
1 MB, 250x233
>>2951153
When will this meme die
SSF is fucking fine. And even if it wasn't Yabause which is the second best emulator can still handle a lot of games.
>>
>>2951118
>>2951153
>>2951295
>>2951302
>>2951319
>All this cancer
Resellers scum are evil. Never forget.
>>
>>2951921
>SSF is fine
>practically never gets updated
>author won't release the source code
>only just werks on Microsoft® Windows™
>is incompatible with non-harmful mounting software

SSF sucks ass. Hopefully Yabause gets better.
>>
>>2951491
I fuck your wife.
>>
>>2951946
I'll never understand why projects like this never release source code?
>>
>>2951946
SSF has its fair share of problems, but as far as emulation goes, it emulates the games well, and people keep pretending it doesn't.

I also wish a better open source alternative existed, but people have been spouting this shit that there's no emulator that can handle the sega saturn for years now, and it gets really annoying that it continues to get propagated when it's just a simple google search away.
>>
>>2951319
AFAIK, the story with Magical Chase is that it was sold exclusively at Toys R Us for a short amount of time, then it was pulled and sold by mail order.

I agree with people that PDS was mass produced in too high a quantity to ever achieve true holy grail status like Stadium Events and NWC. $1k sounds like a good intuitive ceiling for it, but it's impossible to predict the market. It depends on how popular Saturn collecting gets.
>>
>saturn emus
AHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHA

Jesus fuck, get a fucking real saturn and swap trick that shit.

>BAWWW SWAP TRICK
See earlier related post I'm too lazy to link to.
>>
>>2952016
>swap trick
enjoy you broken cd motor
>>
>>2952016
>swap trick
Ghetto as fuck. Just mod your Saturn ffs.
>>
>>2951376
Huh? You couldn't mod an original Saturn controller to work on your PC? What's special about Saturn hardware/controllers that prevents this from being a problem with the SNES or something?

BTW, you could always put a modchip in your Saturn and play pirated games with the original hardware. Not that I need to do that, since I'm a collector.
>>
>>2952026
CAN YOU FUCKING READ, CHILD?
>BAWWW SWAP TRICK
>See earlier related post I'm too lazy to link to.
Holy shit, kid, go back to 1st grade.
>>
>>2952026
oh wow broken cd motor on a $40 console after SEVERAL YEARS of swapping MAYBE. no okay nevermind i'll buy a $300 game instead. :^)
>>
>>2952031
>pulling off a cd while its spinning and then forcing another one on in quick succession
Its totally fine guys I've been doing it for years trust me!
>>2952036
If your Saturn breaks every other year from doing that dangerous trick its soon going to be a lot more expensive then $300
>>
>>2952081
>If your Saturn breaks every other year from doing that dangerous trick its soon going to be a lot more expensive then $300

Reseller logic is so cute.

Fuck off, kike.
>>
>>2952082
Haha, I'm not poor and I afford to to spend $300 on something I want without worrying about it, I'm really sorry that you're poor, that must suck. :^)
>>
>>2952097
>implying that being poor means not buying a terrible 3d mess of a game
whatever helps you sleep at night
>>
>>2952097
Or you could use the $300 to buy a modchip and mod your Saturn to play any burnt game you want without damaging the system. You fucking idiot.
>>
>>2951342
>20k isn’t mass produced by any entertainment medium’s standards
20K is mass produced by pinball standards. AFAIK there was only one machine produced in that quantity (The Addams Family).
>>
>>2952112
Or I could buy physical copies of my Saturn games, which is what I want to do, and still have so much money in the bank that I don't even have to think about it.

Stay mad.
>>
>>2952124
>giving money to reseller scumbags
Pathetic. Have you no scruples?
>>
>>2952132
>Pathetic. Have you no scruples
says the guy that play illegal pirate copies
>>
>>2952141
>play
but anon, you said you haven't played it yet (and probably never will)
>>
>>2952132
>giving money to someone who probably needs it more than me, considering they're willing to sell off these cherished video games

Honestly, I think I'm the good guy in this scenario.
>>
>>2952141
either way the devs aren't seeing the money, just some guy that could've stolen the copy he's selling to you
>>
>>2952153
Hard to tell which Anon you think is which. I'm >>2952124 and I bought PDS with the intention of playing it. There are a couple other games to get through on my backlog though.
>>
>>2952156
Go donate all your money to charity then if you want to be an actual goodguy.

Buying from resellers is being a Good Goy.
>>
>>2952161
>$300 game you've never played
you collectorfags are something else
>>
>>2952162
Wew lad. I'm not *that* good of a guy. There's gotta be something in it for me too.
>>
>>2952156
>giving money to someone who probably needs it more than me
I assure you most of the time they are just exploiting the market
They buy cheap and then flip the games
>off these cherished video games
They dont cherish them
The people that do sell them as a last extreme and usually ask for less than what it goes for or out right pawns it because they need that money now.
That guy sitting with a listing for days on in likely found it yard sale or otherwise and is flipping it.

You are doing no "good" ensure inflated prices on what is games and toys of kids yesteryear

You are the reason many people can't enjoy there games or have to treat them like fragile glass because they can't get replacements because retards like you will pay 7 times over msrb just to say you started a retro collection
>>
>>2952219
>You are the reason many people can't enjoy there games

This is 100% bullshit and you know it.

You can't say "lol collecting is retarded there's no point" on the one hand and "you have to stop, you're making it so other people can't buy the games!" on the other. You clearly can't have it both ways. In this thread, people have talked about emulation, and the swap trick, and modchips. That's three distinct ways of playing PDS that don't involve you buying the game, two of which give you a perfect experience on the original hardware. So why exactly does it matter that I have the physical discs and you don't?

Retro games are finite-supply luxury items which, as evidenced by the prices they sell for and the amount of butthurt generated in this thread, are desired by quite a few people. So they end up going to the highest bidder. I'm sorry to anyone who can't buy the games they want, but that's how it goes sometimes. You're free to emulate (I see no ethical problems with pirating a game that isn't being sold anymore, in fact).
>>
File: 5263736585379659.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
5263736585379659.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
>>2952253
>You can't say "lol collecting is retarded there's no point" on the one hand and "you have to stop, you're making it so other people can't buy the games!" on the other.
where did I even imply that?
I'm say there are collectors out there that don't own multiple copies old games and that if it fails or breaks they are just sol because the market has been so stupidly inflated
>So why exactly does it matter that I have the physical discs and you don't?
none because again, my point was aimed at this retard here that thinks he's "helping" anyone when the reality is he is just hurting the fandom and making it to where they have to resort to alternatives because of fools and their money.
>Retro games are finite-supply luxury items which, as evidenced by the prices they sell for
most top dollar retro games are not so much rare as the willingness of people willing to pay for it. Earthbound was printed in much better numbers than Masters and Monsters (one of the first turn base games made) yet Earthbound runs for the cult of personality effect it has in ownership of it.

I feel you are just strangely twitchy to defend your stupid spending habits because again that post was making it clear they are not helping anyone when you give in and spend hundreds of dollars on an old used child/young adult product, all they are doing is ensuring a wall that prevents others from enjoying or collecting the original product(which is what the retards want anyway).
>>
>>2952295
>I'm say there are collectors out there that don't own multiple copies old games and that if it fails or breaks they are just sol because the market has been so stupidly inflated

They can emulate the game. Are you just saying that they're out of luck when it comes to owning a working original copy of the game? Yes, I agree, they are. But not everyone can own an original copy of a game that only produced 20k copies (or much less, for other rare games). I wanted to make sure that I was one of the people who did own one.

>none because again, my point was aimed at this retard here that thinks he's "helping" anyone when the reality is he is just hurting the fandom and making it to where they have to resort to alternatives because of fools and their money.

Here's my problem with your argument. You seem to be saying:

1) It doesn't matter that I have the discs and someone else doesn't.
2) It hurts the fandom if the prices of the discs stay high.

Those two statements seem to be contradictory.

If the discs have no value, then I can't hurt anyone by inflating the price of them. If they do have value, then who are you to decide what price should be placed on that value? Why do you get to decide that the game is worth $X, and anything above that is unfair price inflation? The market has decided that the value of PDS is around $400. I thought that was fair - I was willing and able to pay it, at any rate - so I bought it. I don't see how that harmed anyone.

>most top dollar retro games are not so much rare

The real top shelf games (NWC, Stadium Events, Air Raid) are extremely rare.
>>
>>2951118
>Starting a retro game collection
>blowing $500 on one game to start it

You are doing it all wrong
$500 could easily get you a system and a good amount of good cheap games
You could have gotten A Saturn, and 6 good games or 16 noteworthy games for what you blew on a game that hasn't aged well and could have held of till a deal or opportunity arouse to find it for less.
>>
you fucking moron, why didnt you buy a few different console + game bundles instead
did you buy this for street cred on /vr/ ?
we dont have upvotes here
>>
>>2952345
could've just bought a 4-in-1 and made a pseudosaturn cart kek
>>
>>2952349
i got my 4 in 1 cart the other day, but i'm still waiting for my saturn bundle to come from nippon (saturn, s video cable, 2 controllers, vf2, enemy zero) for a fraction of what op payed
>>
>>2951946
>SSF sucks ass.

It's good enough that I could play through all of Panzer Dragoon Saga on it TEN YEARS AGO without any glitches.

>is incompatible with non-harmful mounting software

Daemon Tools Lite is not particularly harmful as long as you read what the installer writes instead of cruising through the prompts like a moron.

And the reason why other drive emulators suck is because the bin/cue standard is a ridiculous piece of shit.
>>
>>2951985
>it emulates the games well, and people keep pretending it doesn't.

IT DOES NOT RUN ON ANDROID, OR ON THE MAC, OR ON THE AMIGA, WHICH MEANS IT IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH 90% OF COMPUTERS AND LAPTOPS, AND ALSO IT CAN'T RUN ON MY FRONTEND NOR CAN IT UPSCALE GAMES TO 4K, THEREFORE IT IS A HORRIBLE EMULATOR.

wait, running games accurately? Who cares about that.
>>
>>2952081
>If your Saturn breaks every other year from doing that dangerous trick its soon going to be a lot more expensive then $300

Except that it doesn't. Swap trick hurting the CD motor is a stupid fucking urban legend propagated by people who mistreat the console in many other ways, and slam the discs onto the tray.

The motors are never the things that give out. It is either the tray getting pushed out of position, or it is the laser that'll need recalibration.

protip: the Saturn won't spin up the disc if the laser can't see it. So 99.99999% of the time when your Saturn won't spin up discs after doing the swap trick, it is not the motors fault.
>>
>>2952330
>They can emulate the game
did you miss in that sentence where I said collectors?
> But not everyone can own an original copy of a game that only produced 20k copies I wanted to make sure that I was one of the people who did own one.
You bought it just because it was rare not because you like the game?

>You seem to be saying:
I'm saying this: You are feeding the greed and being someone's bitch and it hurts the fandom when you profess to be a fan and your source is you blew money on a product and have about as much real investment in it as a hooker does a client.

>two statements seem to be contradictory.
because you are building a straw man rather than understanding what is being said.

>If they do have value, then who are you to decide what price should be placed on that value?
> Why do you get to decide that the game is worth $X, and anything above that is unfair price inflation?
never said I did. Never once even stated the price was "unfair" I just shared that it's not based in rarity just fools and their money but since you are going this route I know Ive hit a nerve now and you are starting to understand what I'm saying.
>The market has decided that the value of PDS is around $400
The markets are control by the fools with the money. No one pays? it plummets. It's what happen to FF7 back in 07. Demand went flat $90 game went to $20 in 2 years time.
>I was willing and able to pay it
Yeah see that still makes you pretty dumb.
>"I dun care"
good for you
>I don't see how that harmed anyone.
You ensured it's value stays stupid high a little longer and again, my core point was more that no one can say they are helping anybody buying shit from scalpers and the like.

>The real top shelf games
And I wasn't talking about them and that statement doesn't effect what I said, 20k is low but not that low to drive the cost, it's fan cult effect with the market exploiting it.
>>
>>2952374
Ignore him, he's a reseller kike trying to trick people into not doing the swap trick so he can sell his games on ebay and rip you off.
>>
Kekking at all these people losing their shit over some guys blowing a couple hundred dollars. You don't know what an expensive novelty item looks like. Try paying $58 million for a sculpture of a balloon dog.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/11/14/an-orange-balloon-dog-sold-for-58-4-million-so-here-are-10-cool-jeff-koons-balloon-pieces/
>>
>>2952383
>You bought it just because it was rare not because you like the game?

It was a combination of its rarity and its reputation as a good game.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out what your argument is. You think that there's some value in collecting, ok. But you also think I paid too high a price because the game isn't rare enough to justify that price? Do I have that right?

If that's the case, well, I just disagree. I wanted the game, I was willing to pay the price, so I did. There's little point in trying to calculate the game's "true" value based n current demand and rarity. The price is determined by the market, and I was happy with the market price.

>no one can say they are helping anybody by buying shit from scalpers

I was trolling when I said that. Does that make you feel better?

I will say though that I'm glad I can give the game a happy home where it will be loved and protected, as opposed to leaving it in the hands of someone who might not take as good care of it.
>>
On the topic of disc swapping, I have a PlayStation without a modchip because I've never soldered before, and don't want to pay $20+ to someone online who may send back a PCB that wasn't originally mine.

Anyway, I use a Gameshark that stops the disc from spinning before I swap. Is there something like that for the Saturn, or is the only option to swap while spinning?
>>
>>2952408
>its reputation as a good game
It's not $400 good. Never was. And that's still disheartening you just blow that kind of cash because people say it's "good" I mean fuck that's how a lot of people get scammed and shit is they are convinced they need X or it's the best when the reality is someone just wanted your pockets lighter and there's fuller.

And my argument is the market is controlled by the buyers, they decided it's value, not the sellers. That's why when fan cult happens to an ip there is such a fast response to hike prices up. When Nostalgia Critic did a bit on Demon's Crest the value spike from $30 to $200 that weekend. Why? "Oh you heard that was great too? Yeah I have it $200 bucks it's yours. What oh come on don't you want to brag to others you have it? it's a good game man why else would it sell for so much?" It's people getting suckers and suckers keeping the problem constant.
>I was trolling when I said that. Does that make you feel better?
> I can give the game a happy home where it will be loved and protected, as opposed to leaving it in the hands of someone who might not take as good care of it.
>implying scalpers wouldn't keep it safe and clean for that sale to be made
>implying any idiot wouldn't take care of something they blew $400 on the internet for.
I hope you are still trolling.
>>
>>2952450
Isn't the Action Replay Plus 4M cart suppose to let you run modded games?
>>
>>2952456
>Demon's Crest
>$200
no way that's bullshit
>check prices
Holy shit, Im pretty sure that game was a high print run for a 3rd party game on the SNES. Fuck man brb selling my copy
>>
Holy shit, so much /b/ and /v/ and cancer in this thread.
>>
>>2952456
I guess what it comes down to is, I like the fact that prices are high. I like knowing that I have something special that other people want but can't afford. Certainly it has value to me besides that, but that's a big draw.
>>
File: idiot.jpg (171 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
idiot.jpg
171 KB, 1200x900
>>2952501
>>
>>2952501
See you really have to be trolling at this point
because you waste that kind of money that would give you status over something bigger than a nitch group and hipsters
>>
>>2952521
And you want the game for nothing besides the pure, genuine motive of love and happiness, unlike me, who is evil and has no soul. Ok.

As many of the kind posters in this thread will tell you: collecting is for retards. Just pirate the game.
>>
>>2952501
>I like the fact that I can take it up the ass and others have to much self respect for that.

That is all you are telling people
>>
>>2952531
Video games are what I care about. What can I say? That's where my time and money goes.
>>
>>2952501
>I have something special that other people want but can't afford.
They can
Most people could afford that
they just have common sense or at the very least understand what better things can be done with hte money.
Why do you think most people that make their money through business, Science and what not tend to live humbler lives? They know true value of their money and don't blast money because some random person they don't know might wowed.

>>2952535
It's more like you either are shitposting so hard or have self respect issues that would make a teenage girl look sane.
>>
>>2952540
But you are claiming you care about them like a gold digger would a man
That the value is all that pushes you forward not the game itself.
>>
>>2952550
>Why do you think most people that make their money through business, Science and what not tend to live humbler lives?

Haha, do you think I'm rich or something? My earlier shitposts sort of gave that impression, but I can assure you that I'm firmly middle class. 100% of my money is from working a 9-to-5. I'm just frugal enough that I can splurge on things I want every once in a while.
>>
>>2952552
Sorry if I gave that impression, but that's not entirely true. You'll never see me buying Stadium Events, for example, because it's a bad game I don't care about, even though it's very valuable.
>>
>>2952564
>Haha, do you think I'm rich or something?
No that was why I shared that
No one thinks you're rich when you are blowing $400 on a outdated retro game.
At best I thought you were just some young kid that had the play money to be careless with
>>
>>2952578
>No one thinks you're rich when you spend money on luxury items.

You're just being nonsensical at this point.
>>
>>2952598
>20 year old used luxury item that maybe 50,000 people worldwide are aware exists and even less care about
work on bait.
>>
>>2951680
>detailed
Yeah, I remember that game was doing stuff in the 90's that gamers were getting wowed over when FFX came out. I was like "nigga, really? Let me tell you about Panzer Dragoon Saga, back when REAL games were made!"
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13
Thread DB ID: 477772



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.