[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pier Solar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 14

What does /vr think of Pier Solar?
>>
>>2948869
What I want to know is: is it retro or not?
>>
>>2948870
this is no different than discussing hacks, homebrews and mods of retro games made for retro systems.
Which is all retro.
>>
>>2948870
>>2948870
it's retro cuz my dumb rules, meanwhile deus ex REEEEEEEEEEEE NOT RETRO
>>
>>2948870
Well, if shenmue 2 is then it would stand to reason Also modern wads are acceptable too.
>>
>>2948870
>>2948875
>Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier.
It's obviously not retro. But it is relevant to this board since it was actually released on a platform. I don't know why you retards have such a hard time grasping even the most simple concepts.
>>
Seemed promising before turning into a mediocre JRPG that gets too much credit simply due to nostalgia bait.

"A love letter to the 16-bit era"

Had some cringeworthy lines here and there that I'll admit I allowed to affect my perception of the game more than they should but it's not bad. There's not too many JRPGs for the Genesis and I'd say it did a good job at being that.
>>
>>2948880
I have literally nkt seen one positive review, seems to me that it doesn't get mucb credit at all.
>>
>>2948870
According the board rules it's retro because it was made for Genesis and our rules go by system not year of release. Which is weird, but whatever.

At any rate Pier Solar is pretty boring, badly written, easy and only worth wasting your time on if you're a massive JRPG fan who's somehow exhausted the other games and still wants more of that.
>>
They got some really great music out of the system for this one, but kind of failed on the graphics front. And I don't mean the way it looks, it looks all right. But the slowdown and framerate are in the dumps. You wouldn't think this matters in an RPG, but it does, it means the random battles take a ton of time because the animations are so slow.
>>
>>2948875
This board does not tolerate posting like this.

Please make the effort to participate in the discussion as though you were at least 16 years of age.

If you find that too difficult I welcome you to investigate some of the other boards that 4chan has to offer such as /r9k/, /b/ or /v/.
>>
>>2948879
>on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier.

I hate to say it, but Pier Solar fits the letter of the rules even if it's not the "spirit". The board rules are kind of retarded anyways, but it's what we have.
>>
>>2948887
>This board does not tolerate posting like this.

Yes it does. It always has. Stop pretending you're not on 4chan.
>>
>>2948893
We try to maintain a delicate balance between quality posting and 4chan on this board. We are on 4chan, yes, and that's part of why I like this place, so you should expect to see "faggot" and "REEEEEEE" from time to time. But this board is unique in being on of the most civil and informative on 4chan, and I hope we can all do our part to keep it that way.
>>
>>2948906
>But this board is unique in being on of the most civil and informative on 4chan, and I hope we can all do our part to keep it that way.

Not him but as a long time 4chan frequenter and someone who visits many different boards, you're either knowingly making shit up or don't actually know what you're talking about. /vr/ is currently one of the most hostile boards. It's shitposting and trolling is worse than /v/ these days. No exaggeration and no joke.

Not that we should listen to that guy and all act like flaming retards just because we're on 4chan.
>>
What an awful thread.
Anyways, I didn't see much love for the Pier Solar, I see it being called mediocre, like >>2948884 said, and I don't understand why there was made "Mega CD enhancement", like they couldn't make a Mega CD release.
>>
>>2948913
Ok, which boards are better then?
>>
>>2948870
>>2948875
>>2948893
>>2948918
massive faggots. fuck off >>>/v/

pier solar is boring
>>
>>2948918
In terms of overall hostility? /v/ for one. Seriously. That's how bad the shitposting here has gotten. In no small part to people like this >>2948923 who interject every thread they don't like with "fuck off to /v/" garbage posts. Then it just gets worse from there.

The reality is at this point, most of the other boards are more civil than here. /b/ and /pol/ are the worst for it. /int/, /adv/, /tv/, /mu, and /lit/ are the other bad ones. /vr/ is in with those these days.
>>
>>2948929
I agree, personaly i think /tg/ is the nicest board, /co/ was nice a few years ago but went to shit when the new wave of hipster cartoons came out (mlp, adventure time, regular show).
>>
>>2948932
Most of /co/ blames the movies more than the new cartoons. People can barely talk about actual comics there because it all gets reduced to the movies.

/tg/ is pretty great though, /ck/ has been getting better now that they've finally stopped fighting (as much) about vegans. /diy/, /an/, /out/, and shockingly /fa/ and /fit/ are all quite good as well.
>>
>>2948869

Indie trash. Not to put anyone down for being ambitious, but there's a good reason why big budget games involve large staffs. Pier Solar is a mess of amateur writing, unoriginal and overused gameplay mechanics and overall uninspired designs.

It's like some goober just picked up a dev kit one day and went, "Hey, I'm going to put together the most generic JRPG experience I possibly can! Oh, and by the way, I have zero experience with writing, graphic design or gameplay planning."

It might as well have been a ROM hack of Phantasy Star. At least they wouldn't have lost any money on the deal.
>>
>>2948942
>Indie trash. Not to put anyone down for being ambitious, but there's a good reason why big budget games involve large staffs.

But you're on /vr/ which is dedicated to old games, many of which were made by very small teams of developers. Most of what we talk about here would be considered indie if they were made today.

Which isn't to say Pier Solar is good. It's really not. But it's not bad because it's an indie game. Its bad because it's a shitty game.
>>
I hate these threads. Seriously. Some dipshit shills their ROM hack or indie game on /vr/, gets criticized - or god forbid, called out for being a shill - and flips their shit. Suddenly it's, "Wah! /vr/ is such a hostile place! I just wanted everybody to circlejerk around me!"

You know, if you can't handle scrutiny, then don't ask for anyone's opinion in the first place. You're opening yourself up to criticism when you solicit our opinions. This isn't some hugbox where people are just going to line up to shower you in praises, no matter how boring or uninspired they may find your ideas to be. What you're doing is the literal definition of autism.

No. Fuck off. I would have no problem saying "Pier Solar is a great game" if it truly had the elements to be a great game, but it does not. It doesn't matter how many times you create this thread (and I count at least 4 other iterations of this discussion in the past several months) - your game sucks. It will always suck. The end. Count your losses and move on.
>>
>>2948956
It wasn't that though. Just one person reading too many forced autism posts about retro/non-retro for the day and flipping out leading to people flipping out over that person flipping out.
>>
>>2948869
Bad game but great investment.
>>
>>2949637
>video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier.

Fuck off retard, nowhere does it say the age of the game, only the platform.
>>
File: undertale.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
undertale.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>2949671
So that means we can discuss Undertale on /vr/ since the IBM PC platform is before 1999? :^)
>>
>>2949679
That turd doesn't run on 1999 hardware even if it looks worse than NES Mario's poop :^)
>>
>>2949679
No, but we could discuss Retro City Rampage.
>>
File: wojak.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
IT'S NOT FAIR

MODS, ALLOW PS2 AND XBOX AND GBA AND GAMECUBE!!! DREAMCAST IS ALLOWED, WHY NOT THOSE?!
>>
>>2949694
No we couldn't.
>>
We've actually reached a point in time when teens born in 1997-1999 are acting nostalgic about their shitty ass childhood: Hannah Montana, Xbox 360, Wii, post-movie Spongebob, social media, Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Don't even try to say that your childhood was good because it wasn't. Let me explain why…

You would have grown up in the 7th generation of video games. That was a time when games were declining fast. Let me name off some things all of you didn't experience:

- The years of Pokemon when it was actually good(1998-2000)
- The time when the PS1, N64, SNES, and Genesis were the shit
- The slew of amazing JRPGs on the SNES/PS1
- The golden years of Newgrounds(late 90s/very early 2000s)
- The golden year of flash games in general(same timeframe as the golden years of Newgrounds)
- The killer platformers of the 90s
- LAN parties
- The 1-3 years that Digimon and Yugioh were actually good(1999-2001)
- The age of good 90s/early 2000s cartoons - instead, you got shit like Squirrel Boy, Ben 10, My Gym Partner is a Monkey, Camp Lazlo, and 6teen
- The awesome FPS games like Goldeneye007, Perfect Dark, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, and Star Wars: Dark Forces
- A time before social media
- The 1999 St. Louis Rams
- Playing multi-player games with friends(Mario Party, ect.)

And there's plenty of more shit I could name, but I think you guys get the picture. The future of /vr/ is doomed if we let the youngfags win.
>>
>>2949719
No, we could.
>>
>>2949719
It runs on 486 (MS-DOS) and was released on floppies, so, yes.
>>
>>2949709
Not retro. It will attract meme kiddies like yourself, too.
And to be fair, I'd be perfectly fine with DC's exclusion.
>>
File: K0zDQdu.gif (916KB, 490x367px) Image search: [Google]
K0zDQdu.gif
916KB, 490x367px
>>2949732
>>2949740
Released in 2015. Not retro. By that logic we would be free to talk about Pier Solar without the butthurt above, but oh boy would you look at that.
>>
>>2949750
>not recognizing his sarcasm
Cum on anon step it up.
>>
>>2949752
It's not fair that PC can't be considered a platform while you consolefags get to slip in 2015 games just because of the "retro hardware" bullshit.
>>
>>2949764
Oh look, /qa thread guy.
>>
>>2949764
Agreed. 1999 and before should apply to ALL game release dates, not platform release dates.
>>
File: cdrpgs_plunareb_2-1280x800.jpg (238KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
cdrpgs_plunareb_2-1280x800.jpg
238KB, 1280x800px
It wasn't good. It was so focused on recreating the nostalgia of old games (Luanr) that it missed the point of what made those games (lunar) good in the first place.

Just go play Lunar
>>
>genesis homebrew scene
>amazing
Pick 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOAvW2K87-4
>>
>>2949807
No it wouldn't, unless you're the fag from the other day that kept bringing post-1999 systems and games to /vr/.
>>
File: 57-prolouge55.png (14KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
57-prolouge55.png
14KB, 640x480px
>>2949829
>There is literally nothing good about Lunar.

first off fuck you

>Also it's not retro.
>Sega CD
>not retro

you're a special kind of retard
>>
>>2949829
>fucking LUNAR
>not retro
When will this pedantic meme die
>>
>>2949859
>>2949860

I'm guessing the "it" was supposed to be Pier Solar.
>>
>>2949868
So you're a 6th gen kiddie throwing a "things meant for this board aren't retro because I can't discuss 6th gen" fit.
>>
>>2949881
>MAYBE early 90's
Well it's a good thing Lunar: The Blue Story was released for the Sega CD in 1992!
>>
>>2949885
>The Blue Story
literally what
do you mean The Silver Star
>>
>>2949892

special kind of retarded
>>
File: 1385410965206.gif (307KB, 220x236px) Image search: [Google]
1385410965206.gif
307KB, 220x236px
>>2949892
Go say that in the Snatcher and Doom threads.

No, I'm serious, amuse me. I wanna see what people say.
>>
File: daffy.gif (235KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
daffy.gif
235KB, 240x228px
>>2949892
>>
stop getting baited by the sonygger that wants ps2 in /vr/ saying sega cd isn't retro, you retards
>>
File: goldface.jpg (38KB, 327x316px) Image search: [Google]
goldface.jpg
38KB, 327x316px
>>2949931
NICE TRY FALSEFLAGGER

I SEE THROUGH YOUR GUISE

PS2 WILL NEVER EVER BE RETRO! DEAL WITH IT! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
File: Capture.png (268KB, 337x293px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
268KB, 337x293px
>>2949925
>Maybe I'm just old for 4chan's standards (26)
>26
>old
>also meaning you were born in 1990; when the 4th gen already kicked into high gear because of the Genesis/Mega Drive's release, which was in 1988, with the Super Famicom following shortly after

"le wrong generation" amirite?
>>
>>2949971
The rest of the world isn't going to follow *your* rule of thumb. This is a retro game, as per the definition of retro. You can't redefine the word because you don't like the game.
>>
>>2949986
Someone doesn't seem to understand how words work.
>>
File: 25.png (1MB, 648x605px) Image search: [Google]
25.png
1MB, 648x605px
>>2949986
>Facts are facts.
>my opinion is fact
Can't wait for the time you try to defend the NES as "retro" from somebody born in the 70's who doesn't think it's retro because it came out after he was born/
>>
>>2949986
The game was released on the Sega Genesis, a 4th gen console.
Therefore Pier Solar is allowed to be discussed as per the rules of this board.
This is not up for debate.
>>
>>2950016
>Therefore Pier Solar is allowed to be discussed as per the rules of this board.
(for now)
>>
>>2950078
Retro is a very broad term. Since majority of people consider 4th generation consoles to be retro, that can only conclude that you are indeed butthurt.
>>
File: laguhing 70's man.jpg (25KB, 283x300px) Image search: [Google]
laguhing 70's man.jpg
25KB, 283x300px
>>2949986
>3rd gen and before: Retro
>3rd gen = that synthpop gookshit
>retro
>>
File: Giant_ground_sloth_Iowa.jpg (4MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
Giant_ground_sloth_Iowa.jpg
4MB, 1944x2592px
I only play tennis for two. Anything else is just underage weeaboo hipster bullshit.
>>
>>2948869
NOT RETRO! 1999 CUTOFF
>>
File: 1450290278718.jpg (109KB, 402x248px) Image search: [Google]
1450290278718.jpg
109KB, 402x248px
Jesus Christ is it possible to have a thread here anymore that doesn't derail into a meta thread about the rules?
>>
>>2950171
no ;)
>>
>>2950171
blame the mad autist that for some reasons is not banned yed
>>
>>2950078
>>2950149

If the rules weren't the way they are now, we wouldn't be able to discuss the majority of dreamcast games because they were released after 1999

hell, we wouldn't even be able to discuss a shitload of ps1 and n64 games either

the rules say we can discuss all games on retro consoles for a reason. it's easier to just say we can talk about games for these consoles instead of trying to evaluate each and every game that gets posted

if you don't like people discussing this SEGA GENESIS game, then just hide the thread and stop whining autistically about it
>>
>>2950340

He's not banned yet because no one cares about /vr/.

Abandoned board.
>>
>>2949731
You don't LAN anymore? My guys do a lan party at least once every 3 months (used to be way more often but life and such) I'm bringing a guy from work who's 19

Also pokemon was never good, we thought it was because we were children and we were having fun (which really is all that matters).

SNES is still the shit, N64 was never really a good time (see above about pokemon). PS1 was but I never had it growing up so I don't have a boner for it. Genesis was cool but it wasn't the shit.

You realize that most of your stuff are things that can still be experienced today, right? I still play Doom and Quake to this day (we'll be playing it at the LAN next weekend)

It's comments like this that totally make me want to distance myself from my peers. You all start to sound like grandpas who fear change. Perhaps it's because I don't really see a big separation between 'games' and 'retro games' or at least being 'retro' doesn't imbue some special qualities to a game that make it better. No one is stopping you from enjoying your things, maybe you should let other people enjoy theirs.
>>
>>2950869
>SNES is still shit
ftfy
>>
>>2950171
Well in all fairness that was the reason I started the thread. I think these lines in the sand are really dumb so I thought I'd point out how they're dumb.

To those who think it's not retro because it's recently released then your 1999 date would exclude things like majoras mask, space channel 5, Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark, SNK Gals' Fighters, Dragon Warrior Monsters, LoZ:OoS/OoA, Bomberman 64, Conker, ect.

I don't really have a problem with having a arbitrary cut-off cause it's totally necessary to have some agreed upon rule. Obviously with any rule you'll have people that either don't bother to read it or the just don't care and want to break it. At this point thought there seems to be a pretty large group that thinks the rule is dumb (I for one think it simply lacks enough definition, how does PC fall into the category?) and that's the point that it's time to consider the rule and what it's purpose is. If having it is causing this much trouble perhaps it's not doing what it's supposed to and should be adjusted to do it's job better.

Secondly, I think it really is the overly hostile method that people are throwing a fit if anyone shows up to the ball game with a bat made after 1999. I realize that's outside the bounds of the board but surely you're smart enough to know that that kind of hostility is only going to generate a backlash from people who in all honesty are just like you. They're people who play games and love games and want to talk about games. Sure they can go to /v but it's a whole different ball game there. They're keeping up with what's current, we're talking about memories of old. Seems pretty shitty to look down on someone cause their cherished childhood memories can't drive yet.
>>
>>2950939
Well put, anon.
>>
>>2950939
Where were you a few days ago?

Not like you would have solved anything, but we need more reasonable people.
>>
>>2950939
>Well in all fairness that was the reason I started the thread.

Well fuck you too because we've had multiple ones up this week including one that's still up. Take this meta shit to /qa/ where it belongs.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.