[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

End Credits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

File: prollysomeedwoodshit.jpg (130KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
prollysomeedwoodshit.jpg
130KB, 1280x720px
Who are some cool peeps credited at the end of retro games that made it all happen?
>>
File: 220px-John_Carmack_E3_2006.jpg (10KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-John_Carmack_E3_2006.jpg
10KB, 220x220px
>Influenced computer graphics and engine design
>Community driven games (just look at the DOOM community here...)
>Releases old source code
>Gives accurate talks on history of physics, graphics, and games
This guy is one of my living heroes.

Good talk on graphics for the uninitiated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUgHPs86XM

Good article on interesting shadow technique pioneered by said guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume
>>
File: thps credits.png (234KB, 719x536px) Image search: [Google]
thps credits.png
234KB, 719x536px
Bordwell is a pretty cool name, considering.
>>
You ever get kinda sad thinking about whether some integral people listed in the credits ever went onto anything better? If they've been forgotten or if they lost interest in the field? If they're even alive anymore?
>>
File: Gunpei_Yokoi.jpg (11KB, 200x336px) Image search: [Google]
Gunpei_Yokoi.jpg
11KB, 200x336px
>>2945551
> if they're even alive anymore?

;_;

My other video game hero.
>>
>>2945089
I still don't get what "James Banana" is a play on.
>>
File: All these dogs are long dead.png (71KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
All these dogs are long dead.png
71KB, 512x480px
Couldn't have made it without the amazing security personnel at Rare.
>>
>>2945569
Japs were a bunch of pretentious assholes anyway, that believed only they could design videogames well.

The day Miyamoto dies will be the happiest day of my life.
>>
>>2947862
>that believed only they could design videogames well.

Source?

One of Miyamoto's most respected people in the industry that he admires is Peter Molyneux, a westerner.

>the day a person I don't personally know dies will be the happiest day of my life

what a life must you be leading anon, I'm jealous sarcasm, just in case
>>
>>2947862
lol fuck japs
>>
>>2947870
>One of Miyamoto's most respected people in the industry that he admires is Peter Molyneux, a westerner.

Actually, it was Will Wright, my bad. Still a westerner.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K820IxOIPPU
>>
>>2947870
There was a quote from Console Wars where Nintendo of Japan's CEO said something along those lines.
>>
>>2948257

I would take quotes translated from japanese by western journos with a grain of salt, anyway it would be weird if Nintendo's CEO would say that since during his time Nintendo worked closely with Rare, a UK dev. Do you have the actual quote from the book?
>>
>>2948257

Link? I don't know what "Console Wars" is.
>>
>>2948272
No, but I found this from an article about it:

>Though it largely focuses on Sega, Console Wars does occasionally get inside Nintendo’s headquarters for certain vignettes, much of which concerns the internecine squabbling over the production of Donkey Kong Country (in Harris’ telling, Nintendo’s top Japanese game designers including Shigeru Miyamoto openly laughed at the American executive who suggested that a good videogame could be made by non-Japanese).

Japanese people are pompous cunts. Fuck 'em.
>>
>>2948278
http://www.amazon.com/Console-Wars-Nintendo-Defined-Generation/dp/0062276700
>>
>>2948280

Honestly this book or whatever doesn't seem like a good source. I'd like to take a look at the book for myself and see what kind of sources the author uses. This thread may be dead by the time I get my hands on it though; might take a few days.
>>
>>2947883
Well, he can still respect Wright but not as much as an actual Japanese developer.

>>2948287
There is probably scans or a pdf on the internet.
>>
>>2948280

I don't know who Harris is, and yeah I wouldn't trust that kind of stuff, seems like vidya yellow journalism, purely anecdotical second-hand information that has no true source.
If that was true and if Miyamoto thought that non-Japanese couldn't make good video games, then Miyamoto would never admire Will Wright.

>Japanese people are pompous cunts.

All Japanese? Or just the imaginary japanese people from made up stories in video game journalism?

>>2948296
>Well, he can still respect Wright but not as much as an actual Japanese developer.

Doesn't matter the amount of respect, if Miyamoto respects a westerner and claims he is a good game designer that he actually admires, then it debunks the rumors about Shiggy and other japanese devs being evil western-hating cunts.
On one hand, we have second-hand information from a journo, on the other hand we have an actual interview with Miyamoto where he said Will Wright is one of the devs he respects and admires the most.
>>
>>2948318
He got his source of information from Nintendo of America's president at the time up to 1996.

Also, what interview are you even talking about? You sound like a Nintendo fanboy or weeb, lay off the asian cock for a bit, will you? Nobody cares if you defend Nintendo's honor, it just makes you sound like a desperate loser.
>>
>>2948318
Japan has a history of being xenophobic racists, especially the older generations. It's not just this book that's making them out to be assholes.
>>
File: miyamoto_wright.jpg (34KB, 300x314px) Image search: [Google]
miyamoto_wright.jpg
34KB, 300x314px
>>2948326

Think a little, if I was a Nintendo fanboy or a weeb I would agree that only Nintendo or Japanese devs were good and that western devs are trash. I'm not defending anyone's honor, I just question the veracity of these journos.

>He got his source of information from Nintendo of America's president at the time up to 1996.

The book actually includes an interview with the former president of NoA or it's second-hand information?

As for the Miyamoto interview, I can't find it right now so OK, don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure I've read Miyamoto saying Wright was one of the industry people he respected the most. I'll post it later if I can find it.
>>
File: dylan.jpg (193KB, 707x354px) Image search: [Google]
dylan.jpg
193KB, 707x354px
>>2948339

But Nintendo had no problem accepting a young 18 year old english kid's project for a 3D game boy game which later on went on to create Star Fox.

I don't know if I buy all that shit and you can't prejudge everyone as if they were all the same. It's like saying all americans are fat, dumb and racists.
>>
File: 1432347094805.jpg (18KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1432347094805.jpg
18KB, 400x300px
>>2945089
>Boris Karloffice
>>
>>2948340
Yes, it was some higher-up from NoA, possibly Rare, and he was being grilled by Yamauchi while a few other Nintendo designers stood there with him, including Shiggy. The westerner claimed he could make a good game with a Nintendo IP, so they let him have Donkey Kong. I can't remember his name off-hand now. Trying to find scans of the book but I'm not coming up with anything.
>>
>>2948356
Ok, I found a scan. This is a direct account from Tony Harman, who ran Nintendo's Development & Acquisitions from 1989 to 1996, not the "journalist" you decided to pounce on:

http://pastebin.com/MMYTKw5m
>>
>>2948346
>But Nintendo had no problem accepting a young 18 year old english kid's project for a 3D game boy game which later on went on to create Star Fox.
The difference is Star Fox was a new IP. They probably would not have let them use a pre-existing IP as a tech demo.

>It's like saying all americans are fat, dumb and racists.
That's true though.
>>
>>2948404
>They probably would not have let them use a pre-existing IP as a tech demo.
actually they wouldn't, they shot down Argonaut's idea for a Yoshi game which would later become Croc. they basically treated argonaut like shit and tossed them away when they were done with them like a used up condom.

nintendo are full of douchebags, ever since day 1
>>
File: 39990737.jpg (25KB, 640x476px) Image search: [Google]
39990737.jpg
25KB, 640x476px
Secret of Mana and early Final Fantasy code bro coming through. This guy was pretty cool too. He wrote games very fast, and probably was the source of some beloved bugs because of it.
>>
>>2948401

That was an interesting read but I'm not sure who this Tony Harman is, Mobygames says he's have a few "special thanks" in various Nintendo games (including Dylan Cuthbert's X for the Game Boy) and was a QA/tester for DKC, but he doesn't seem like a producer or a developer, doesn't have any game to his name that I can see.
Also, while that was an entertaining read and I thank you for posting it, it's still like a chronic written by a journalist and it's not an actual interview with this Harman guy, notice it's written in 3rd person. I'm still not sure if I believe the part where Yamauchi said "our expert said you are wrong" etc, but then again, I'm still not sure who this Harman guy is, or what game he's talking about, DKC?

>>2948404
They let Rare handle none other than Donkey Kong, the character and IP the catapulted Nintendo into success.

>>2948408

Dylan Cuthbert didn't work on Croc AFAIK. Also Cuthbert has stablished Q Games, he left Argonaut long ago. He's in good relationship with Nintendo and worked on the DS Star Fox game and the 3DS remake of SF64.
And sorry but I think I would have funded Argonaut for a game like Croc. Nintendo didn't, Sega didn't, Sony didn't. It was published by Fox Interactive for whatever reason (was there a Croc cartoon or something? or was planned?)
>>
>>2948465
I still remember the 'PROGRAMMED BY NASIR' stuff. I always thought Nasir was the name of a team back in the day.
>>
>>2948401
Talk about not succumbing under pressure. Just reading that excerpt got me assblasted at Yamauchi and his top-level goons.
Laughing at this dude with what were basically racist, condescending remarks.

The only way he won them over was to play devil's advocate, and agree westerners couldn't make good games, while also proving that it wouldn't be a financial loss to the company if they let him make /just one/ game. Because western commercials are bad too, apparently.

He was playing by their logic which was a good decision.
>>
The West innovates, the Japs steal and rehash.

Long live the White Master Race.
>>
>>2947862
>Japs were a bunch of pretentious assholes anyway, that believed only they could design videogames well.
Does believing the truth make you a pretentious asshole?
>>
>>2949289
>the truth
Suck on that small Nip dick some more, why don't you.
>>
>>2947883
Anyone that claims they respect Peter Molyneux is clearly mentally challenged and needs to be institutionalized.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>>2949294
But I'm not a representative of western video games industry.
>>
AND YOU!
>>
>>2949308
You have to give it up to Molyneux for the masterful dicking he gives players even after his reputation as a snake oil salesman has been known for close to twenty years now. He's a shyster, but an unbelievably successful one.
>>
I like completing Smash TV just to see the dev name "Ray Gay".
>>
>>2945551
Check them out on Mobygames. I always thought it was just another gamefaq sort of site, but nah, they actually keep track of and cross reference devs.

I only found this out when somebody linked me to my entry. They missed a shitty iOS title I worked on, but otherwise holy shit
>>
>>2948286
>http://www.amazon.com/Console-Wars-Nintendo-Defined-Generation/dp/0062276700

Read the one-star reviews expecting some entertainment from illiterate nobodies, but instead they made pretty good points and coaxed passive-aggressive responses from the author.

Probably fine to discount anything this wild spastic wrote, Japan-hating-anon.
>>
>>2949356
>shmupfag
No wonder you love japs, you have shit taste in videogames. RPGs, simulation/god games, RTS/TBS games, adventure games, racing games, and TPS/FPS games are better made by the west.

Japan is sort of good for shallow arcadey games like platformers, fighters, beat 'em ups and scrolling shooters, but it's not like the west doesn't have good games in those genres either.

So once again, go choke on Jap dick until you suffocate to death, retard.
>>
>>2949460
chill dude
we're talking about videogames here no need to "choke on Jap dick until you suffocate to death"
holy fuck what is wrong with people
>>
>>2949460
>arcade games
>fighters
>shallow
Why can't people just say that both the east and the west make great games, but just differently?

I like those arcadey games, and I like my jrpgs, even if they are a bit shallow. But it's a fucking video game, not a job.

Personally I don't like most western games, with exception, but that's down to a personal taste. I may not enjoy an RTS, but I can appreciate it from afar.

There's no reason to dicksuck either of them.
>>
>>2949460
No wonder you love gaijin, you have shit taste in video games. Action/platformer games, fighters, beat 'em up, shooters, are better made by Japan

The west is sort of good for shallow simulation-y games like The Sims, Theme Hospital and RPGs, but it's not like Japan doesn't have good games in those genres either.

So once again, I'm not that mad so I don't want you to die, anon :3
>>
File: 1428061308625.jpg (54KB, 499x700px) Image search: [Google]
1428061308625.jpg
54KB, 499x700px
>>2949460
>le mad homoerotic fiction writer who grew up playing on his father's workstation

Anyway,
>RPGs
Sure, if you like them to be save scummy point'n'clicks instead of gamey dungeon crawlers with fun boss fights.

>simulation/god games
>RTS/TBS games
I'm sure Japan has some that are better as video games(e.g. more arcadey), but you may have these ones.

>adventure games
Hidden objects with reddit humor vs character driven mysteries, down to personal tastes.

>racing games
The only one that matters is a Japanese game.

>TPS/FPS
Some are good judging by action-adventures qualities, as shooting games both blow in comparison to any half-decent light gun game.
>>
>>2945569
As a fan of the gameboy I am indebted to this guy. Thanks Gunpei.
>>
>>2949460
>but it's not like the west doesn't have good games in those genres either.

>good shmups
>west
>>
>>2951637
Not enough pink bullets and underage panty shots for you, Cavedrone?

I'd gladly play Euroshmups over danmaku trash.
>>
>>2947870
>Peter Molyneux,
Is a piece of shit who hypes a lot but never delivers.
>>
>>2947862
>Japs were a bunch of pretentious assholes anyway, that believed only they could design videogames well.
This isn't my problem with Jap designers. It's that they always end up making stupid decisions based on this strange logic they have. I hear them talk in interviews, and they sound retarded. So many of their quotes basically boil down to:
>"Well, we decided to limit the amount of fun the player could have, because it sounded like a good idea at the time."
>>
>>2951817
>pink bullets
Better than Battle Garegga style stealth bullets
>panty shots
Not in the /vr/ ones
>>
File: chipsbreadcows.png (138KB, 679x474px) Image search: [Google]
chipsbreadcows.png
138KB, 679x474px
>>2945089
Still my favorite special thanks.
>>
>>2952007
As someone who will defend Japanese games to the death, I have to agree with this. Japanese devs do sound retarded. I don't know if the interviews are just that poorly translated or what. They give bizarre justifications for their decisions. Maybe it's just cultural differences.
>>
>>2951963
He was good when he worked at Bullfrog.

After that he turned into cancer though.
>>
>ctrl+f: yuki's papa
>0 results

>ctrl+f: yuukichan's papa
>0 results

You people disgust me.
>>
http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=person&name=Booby+Master
>>
>>2947862
Well they were kind of right. Video games for me went downhill when it was no longer profitable for Japanese companies to produce games in the scale that they used to.
>>
File: kongquest.jpg (138KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
kongquest.jpg
138KB, 640x447px
>>2952240
Nah, they were wrong, because baka gaijins made the best Nintendo platformer of all time.
>>
>>2952251
I respect the western developed games (even though I don't think DKC2 was the best platformer) but I think it was best when western developers followed Japan than the other way around.

I think this is partially why I don't like modern video games.
>>
>>2952268
>(even though I don't think DKC2 was the best platformer)
What do you consider a better Nintendo-published platformer?
>>
>>2952353
Not him, but Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star, and pretty much any Mario game is better, in my opinion. The DKC games are mediocre at best, which actually puts them at the bottom of the Nintendo platformer barrel.
>>
>>2952373
>Yoshi's Island
Health regen, lol.

>Kirby Superstar
Infinite flying in a platformer, lol.

>any Mario
DKC is basically Mario in terms of design but improved greatly.
>>
>>2945572
Could just be keeping the Simon del Monte fruit train rolling
>>
>>2952043
>They give bizarre justifications for their decisions. Maybe it's just cultural differences.

Maybe they just went with their feelings and came up with BS for justifications.
>>
>>2952382
>Infinite flying in a platformer, lol.

Yeah, because Kirby games are more combat based than anything. Sort of like a leisurely beat-em up.
>>
>>2952225
Haha I saw that after beating Wily Wars the other day. What the heck? Is it just a remnant of Japanese developers thinking gamecraft is a SHAMEFUR DISPRAY?
>>
>>2953793
That only applies to superstar.
>>
>>2947862
Your grandpa get shotdown at Coral Sea, mate? Lel,lel,lel!
>>
>>2949460
Lel, what a fucking sperg. Western games are generally garbage.
>>
>>2952251
DKC games are mediocre at best, fàm.
>>
>>2949460
>Rpgs
Matter of personal preference. I prefer Jrpgs, Srpgs and Action Rpgs. The general aesthetics and abyssmal combat are turn offs in wrpgs

Sim/God games/Tbs/RTS
Koei games (especially the PC varients) are the hardest core sims ever produced. Japs have Tactical strat games on lockdown. Herzog Zwei is still one of the best RTS games around, it also layed the groundwork for the modern rts genre and was the first multiplayer rts.
>adventure games:
Point and click faggotry, no thanks
>Racing games:
Retro:Pole Position, Daytona USA, Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, Ridge Racer all wrecked western racers. Throw F Zero in as well.
Modern racers: Gran Turismo and Mario Kart are still king.

TPS/FPS
Japs aren't into FPS, it's as dead over there as RTS games are in the west. Miyamoto and Nintendo did collaborate heavily with Metroid Prime, though.
TPS:
Resident Evil 4 defined the modern TPS genre. Vanquish and Binary Domain would build on that foundation.
>>
>>2954038
For adventure games, the Zelda titles were the best examples when it comes to retro gaming. I'd also throw in Beyond Oasis as well.

For Tps games, I believe the Japan-hating shitposter was refering exclusively to retro. In which case, light gun games had the tightest shooting mechanics. I'd throw Starfox 64 in there as well.
>>
>>2954038
>Herzog Zwei is still one of the best RTS games around
You must not've played many RTS then. HZ is very simplistic and boring, compared to even Dune 2.

>Point and click faggotry, no thanks
Shit taste. Go play Grim Fandango, no point&click and it still has great writing and game design.

>Retro:Pole Position, Daytona USA, Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, Ridge Racer all wrecked western racers. Throw F Zero in as well.
Metropolis Street Racer, Wipeout, Crash Team Racing and Need for Speed are better than all those games.

>Miyamoto and Nintendo did collaborate heavily with Metroid Prime, though.
That was mostly Retro's work. When Shiggy tries to make an FPS by himself, it's shit. See: Geist.

>Resident Evil 4 defined the modern TPS genre. Vanquish and Binary Domain would build on that foundation.
More proof you haven't played many retro games if you can't even remember fucking MDK.

Kill yourself, you useless Nip-obsessed filth.
>>
>>2954494
>You must not've played many RTS then. HZ is very simplistic and boring, compared to even Dune 2.

It was one of the first RTS games ever made. Of course it's simplistic, it literally kicked off the genre. Play it with a friend if you think it's boring. That might be hard to come by for you though.

>Shit taste. Go play Grim Fandango, no point&click and it still has great writing and game design.

Instead of pointing and clicking you walk your character over to a spot on the map and press a button. Literally the same shit as point and click.

>Metropolis Street Racer, Wipeout, Crash Team Racing and Need for Speed are better than all those games.

Wipeout is shit compared to F-Zero X. Metropolis Street Racer isn't even as good as Gran Turismo 2. It isn't even as good as Sega GT. Lol at thinking Crash Team Racing is better than Mario Kart. CTR is shit. It's not even better than Diddy Kong Racing.

>That was mostly Retro's work. When Shiggy tries to make an FPS by himself, it's shit. See: Geist.

Miyamoto did suggest they make a FPS they were working on into a Metroid game after he saw the game engine. It's true Retro did the bulk of the engineering work but they also received plenty of input. You got me on Geist though, that game was truly shit.

>More proof you haven't played many retro games if you can't even remember fucking MDK.

I don't think that anon was arguing that RE4 started the TPS genre, but it did make it into a more mainstream genre and set the standard for MODERN games. Western devs were more than happy to rip off RE4 for their cover based boring shit TPS games. Also if you're gonna play the "western devs did it first!" card then TPS games were basically started by Konami with Devastators.
>>
>>2948340

Those are some ugly ass dudes in that pic
>>
>>2953861
In lots of old games people weren't credited with their actual names in order to prevent rival companies from hiring them away. In Zelda, Miyamoto is referred to as S. Miyahon, for example.
>>
File: srtfamu.gif (2KB, 80x80px) Image search: [Google]
srtfamu.gif
2KB, 80x80px
>>2954494
>HZ is very simplistic and boring, compared to even Dune 2.

Simplistic, maybe, it's more arcade-y. Boring? I don't think you've even beat the game.

>Metropolis Street Racer, Wipeout, Crash Team Racing and Need for Speed are better than all those games.

Subjective, I personally don't think those games are better than the ones the other anon posted.

>When Shiggy tries to make an FPS by himself, it's shit. See: Geist.

IIRC, Geist was also a western game, Miyamoto was just the producer as in Prime. The difference between Geist and Prime is the developers (Retro vs whoever made Geist), not Miyamoto's involvement.

>More proof you haven't played many retro games if you can't even remember fucking MDK.

MDK had some good aesthetics and music, but the gameplay was so-so, and it certainly didn't influence any other game or can be considered a staple in the genre, sorry mate. I also played the sequel.

>Kill yourself, you useless Nip-obsessed filth.

This last sentence sure made you look like a mature, chill dude that knows his shit, eh?
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.