[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC Gamer 1999 all issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: pc g 1999.jpg (280KB, 1600x618px) Image search: [Google]
pc g 1999.jpg
280KB, 1600x618px
Well hello there, /vr/.

I recently came into possession of all of the US PC Gamer 1999 issues with all of the corresponding CDs (see pic). These issues contain everything from contemporary reviews of Thief and SS2 to GOTY awards for games like Half-Life and Starcraft 1. There's even (retrospectively) hilariously optimistic features on games like Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever. Flipping through the mags and seeing ads for "new" games like Baldur's Gate right beside a preview for Deus Ex is brilliantly surreal. It's a bit of vidya history in one of the best eras ever for PC gaming.

Now that I have them, what should I do with them?

Are there certain articles, ads or features that you've been dying to see?

Do comprehensive scans exist already? Is there a way to preserve them without destroying them?

What other ideas? I'm all ears, /vr/.
>>
>>2942197
Scan and upload them please.
I know nothing of scanning though, so it may damage them.
>>
>>2942232
I want to do this - if no scans exist already - but I have the same issue. I don't know of a way to do so without damaging them.
>>
I'd be interested to see what's on the CDs, I still have the CD from the March 1997 issue laying around but I believe my copy of that issue is long gone
>>
>>2942241
Scanning would capture it pretty perfectly but would degrade the quality slightly and inevitably pages would end up getting bent during the process.

If you have a DLSR I recommend taking RAW photos and cropping them. Here's an example of a painting I did.
>>
>>2942271
Maybe I can borrow someone's and try to get some lighting that doesn't glare on the pages.
>>
>>2942271
>Jason Novell - 2014
>Aaron Moss - 2016
>>
interested in those cds anon,
put up a mega here if you rip them
>>
>>2942289
I think all he meant was that he took the picture.
>>
>>2942197
Make ISOs of the CDs and scan the magazines.
>>
>>2942197
How did you come across these?
>>
>>2942232
Scanning a page steals its soul so there's not way to do it without damaging them.
>>
>>2942197
man i loved this CDs with games and demos they used to give with magazines
is there any game magazine that still does it?
>>
OP here.

>>2944073
Doing a good scan might require essentially destroying the spines of the mags. As much as it would be for the greater good of vidya history, it would also fuck my collection.

>>2943975
>>2943986
This is a good idea I didn't even consider, and it won't damage anything to do so. I'll do this. Once I have done anything (scans/disc images) I'll be sure to post it here or make a new thread if this one's dead.

>>2943994
I actually had the March 1999 (GOTY awards) when it came out and I was a kid. It was the only gaming mag I had, I played the shit out of the CD demos (e.g. Thief). My mom thought games were a waste of time so even though by the time that mag was already a year old and showing signs of wear, she thought it was a bad influence on me and she THREW IT OUT. Yes, she trashed it outright. About a month or two ago I was remembering this issue and wished I still had it, so I started trawling ebay and amazon. I thought it was a 1998 issue and couldn't remember the month nor find scans for it online so I almost gave up. Then I arbitrarily checked an auction on ebay for ALL 1999 issues and once I saw the cover I knew that was it. They weren't for sale individually so I bought the whole collection. No regrets - they are in great condition and all the CDs as well.

>>2944417
Not likely. Everything has gone digital. This would cost too much especially now that print mags are less and less common. What's really amazing about these mags from 1999 is not just how generous they were with everything, but the actual attitude of the writing towards games. It assumes a different kind of audience than the sort of generalist exposition you see on most mainstream gaming sites today. Not to exaggerate it or anything, as it's still pretty straightforward stuff, but it is noticeable. There's also shitloads of ads just like a fashion mag (which I don't mind because each ad is a piece of history... seeing a Thief ad with "IN STORES NOW" on it is cool).
>>
I used to have all 1998/1999/2000 uk versions of pcgamer all got thrown out though shame.
>>
>>2946068
look, I know you like your collection, but isn't getting an online database that will never disappear and will be accessible by future generations more important?

Theyre not worth anything and you could share them with millions of people. It's your choice.
>>
Sort of related, I have a stack of Nintendo Power going from about issue 120-ish to the 240s (shortly before they closed shop). There's not a lot of /vr/ issues but probably a dozen at least. Would those be anywhere online? If not I might be willing to take some photos as well. Naturally I would do so in a separate thread so as to not detract from OP's valiant efforts.
>>
>>2946158
Whoa bro, it's not like he's just wanting to show us the covers and brag about having them. He's clearly interested in getting readable photos and usable iso's to put online. I don't see what you're getting bothered about.
>>
File: sheetprotector.jpg (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
sheetprotector.jpg
13KB, 400x400px
>>2946068
>>2946158
He could put the pages in a 3 ring binder after he scans them. Easier to read, and they won't get damaged from further use.
>>
>>2946308
Wouldn't that mean ripping them out of the magazine though?
>>
>>2946414
Well, yes. If he's serious about scanning them this would be the best option. If he really must not rip them out then there's not much left to suggest.
>>
>>2946430
I dunno, photographs don't sound like a horrible compromise. I suppose we'll just have to judge from the product produced whether his work is sufficient.
>>
>>2942197
Oh, I remember the one at the bottom left! I was confused because I'm in the UK, and when I bought it, I thought "PC Gamer's had quite a sudden change" before I realised that it wasn't UKPCG

Ah, memories
>>
File: dx1_preview.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
dx1_preview.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
OP here!

>>2946096
Ah bummer! That's a huge amount of issues. I think there are more UK issues scanned available online but that era is still pretty bare for both UK and US issues.

>>2946158
On the one hand I understand your righteous indignation - the choice seems blatantly obvious - but on the other hand, saying "they're not worth anything" is silly. I suppose other people can all reimburse me for the price, shipping costs, and shitty exchange rate I had to deal with to get these issues via ebay? Not to mention I don't want the collection for any monetary reasons, I got it for my own enjoyment and nostalgia, not to resell.

Remember also that ripping CDs and scanning requires a large time commitment. 12 CDs is easy, but 100s and 100s of pages is not so easy. It's a lot of manhours. Obviously I still want to preserve these things though. I ordered originally just for nostalgic purposes and mostly for that one issue I used to have, but my intentions grew as I realized what I had on my hands.

What blows my mind is that someone could have all these and just sell them off on ebay with no care for where or who they end up with. Trust me that we're lucky it was me who picked them up.

>>2946294
DESU I wanted to brag a little bit... just a little. Nice to share stuff like this with others who are interested. I also really think that issue really inspired me as a kid, especially the Thief 1 demo on the CD which really captured my imagination (I now put Thief 2 in my top 10 favourite games). It's sort of sharing THAT experience, too.

>>2946414
>>2946430
>>2946457
I will try photographs for now with a focus on ensuring legibility. Scans would be cleaner but if you can still preserve the essence of the issue, it should be okay (plz note the attached photo is just an offhand snapshot I did and obviously FAR BELOW the level of quality I'd be aiming for). Just don't expect everything quickly - it's a big job and I have a real life to tend to as a first priority!
>>
>>2946158
What do you mean "They're not worth anything", that's a stupid thing to say.
>>
File: punkgrub.png (105KB, 639x476px) Image search: [Google]
punkgrub.png
105KB, 639x476px
If its possible, try to upload the CD images to archive.org

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLe_n4xN9vw

This is a lecture by Jason Scott that explains their whole goal for archiving this sort of stuff. Its a wonderful watch, and really entertaining and fascinating.

There's also a nice little /vr/ story. Because archive.org had an image of one of these PC gamer demo discs from 1995, I was able to go back and find a demo for a game I barely remembered. That game was Necrobius and actually never got released. Because there was that disc image, /vr/ was able to run the demo, which got the attention of the lost media wiki and HCG101 forums. After some detective work, the game designer was contacted and released a full version of the unpublished title for everyone to play. That could have never happened if someone didn't decide that even these seemingly useless demo CDs never got saved and archived.
>>
>>2947556
No. Uploading CD images to archive.org is not possible. No one has ever done it even once.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.