[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rst/ - Retro Speedrunning Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 5

File: fastpants.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
fastpants.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
What classic videogames do you like to speedrun, /vr/? Do you have any respectable times in a game?
>>
I don't speedrun per se, but I do enjoy watching and incorporating some of the runner's tricks into my route. I was running Marvel Land the other day, platform games are really easy to start getting into this.
>>
I play Yoshi's island. My RTA time is shitty but I have a bunch of IL's.

I'm happy with the ils. It's great knowing at some aspects of the game im a little better than a few of the "top level pros"
>>
>>2941296
RTA = whole game
IL = individual levels
?
>>
>>2941324
Yes that's correct. Rta means real time attack as opposed to segmented runs. Though I've never seen a segmented run ever, I know someone did a 28 or so hour run of something
>>
Castlevania: SotN. The game's so broken that it's fun to just fuck around in; however the latest route killed my interest because you don't even need to get the relics anymore. No-OoB any% is where it's at. Or all-bosses runs.

Super Metroid. Got bored of this one because of door transitions and acquiring items, but it's nice the game rewards you for beating it fast. More single-player games need that gimmick.

Mega Man 2, though it was more of a challenge run than a speed run. I never did the zipping.

Final Fantasy IX, because the game rewards you with the best sword if you speedrun it.

I wanted to get into Deus Ex speedrunning, but LAM jumping was kinda annoying to do.
>>
>speedrunning
why bring this cancer to /vr/, I know its vr related but still please keep these e-celeb retards out of this board
>>
>>2941416
Not OP, nice do you have any good times?
>>
>>2941430
>e-celeb
Nobody even brought up e-celebs ITT but you, friend.

Curb your aspergers.
>>
>>2941436
Had about 30 minutes in SotN, and ~50 in-game minutes in Super Metroid. Don't remember MM2 times, but I did my own route and stuff.
>>
>>2941131

what's Chibi been up to lately?
>>
Is that a good time? My Yoshi time is like 2:35 warpless. First run a few months ago. I know I can improve it. Ben working on levels I'm bad at. So hard to get past w1 with a decent time.
>>
I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

>a dozen donations come in just for that interaction
>>
>>2941492
No this is a speedrunning thread. You certainly have the option to close the tab and move on if you don't like the content posted here.
>>
>>2941497
Google "I would really prefer if you would be quiet." OP posted a still from it, you fool.
>>
>>2941497
That was a reference to speedrunning, faggot.
>>
>>2941430
>speedrunning is now immediately associated with e-celeb faggotry
It's over lads
>>
>>2941519
Blame Twitch and Reddit.
>>
Sorry I guess I don't know that reference. Where's is from?
>>
>>2941532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H50nqenYMDM
>>
>>2941487
Chibi got banned from speedrunning for cheating in some gay game.
>>
>>2941543
he also got BTFO by his mom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_gdqMTKXrc
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vniPtX1PQ7g
>>
why are you guys posting /v/ shit here?
>>
>>2941561
>/v/ shit
Caveman speedruns Tomba, so it's retro.
>>
Any other Yoshi players here? Speedrunner/casual whatever
>>
>>2941570
YI doesn't seem as fun to speedrun as Mario 64 or World. Too much RNG to skip the bonus stages.
>>
>>2941582
It's next to no RNG. Spitting an enemy right at the end works on 90+% of the levels. Poochy ain't stupid is literally impossible to get a bonus, and one level In world 5 with the ski lifts is random. Bonus skipping is very optimized
>>
>>2941570

the NES puzzle game? love it.
>>
>>2941487

someone called chibi's mom and informed her that chibi is a criminal. also, he's getting pizzas delivered to his home
>>
I speedrun Crash 2 any%, but I'm not very good and my best is only sub 60 minutes instead of sub 50 minutes.

I also run a certain Rainbow Six game because it's short, but it's not /vr/ and I don't have any techs and tricks for it.

I also do Rollcage Stage II and Gran Turismo licenses for fun, but no one else runs those games as far as I know so I don't know if I'm allowed to claim BKT.
>>
>>2941727
>criminal
What did he do illegal?
>>
>>2941741
When he was 18, he sent pictures of his dick to a girl a couple months younger than him
No seriously, that's it.
>>
>>2941567
Then make a tomba thread. dont make a /v/ meme thread.
>>
>>2941749
now that's a loller
>>
I've been playing blaster master on nes casually and absolutely fucking love it. Considering running it after I beat it.
>>
>>2941772
Speedrunning is not a /v/ meme, you dumpass.
>>
>>2941131
Just Sonic R. If could just get the fucking Radiant Emerald glitch timing right with Knuckles I think I could have a chance at WR.
>>
For anyone interested, Darbian on twitch is gonna do a tutorial for the NES Super Mario Bros any% right now. Kinda useless though, no one other than the very few people who already are trying to get the record will get it, it's too hard right now and the category is almost dead.
>>
>>2941831
Something something subpixel optimization.
>>
>>2941823
im pretty sure it is
>>
I always felt like my time in Lufia II was pretty respectable -- I can finish the game in normal mode in about 4 hours, especially if Big Catfish drops the Kill Everything Jewel.

I feel like I probably have a really good time for SaGa Frontier, but I've seen other people RNG-manipulate the game into giving them all the things they need immediately, so I'm probably only fast among people who don't know how to do that.
>>
>>2941826
Do you do any% or 100%?
>>
>>2941985
No OOB any%
>>
>>2941727
Do you have that call?
>>
>>2941946

>Kill Everything Jewel

kek'd

this game was actually my introduction to the idea of Limit Breaks, and saving them for use against bosses or really annoying fights. With the right jewels/rings you could equip whatever weapons you wanted and just wreck ass all across the game.
>>
>>2941131
Both of these chucklefucks are cancerous idiots, just like this thinly veiled /v/ thread.

The speed running 'community' has less than a handful of non-garbage humans in it.
>>
>>2941416
I've been wondering this. Doesn't getting Excalibur II basically prevent you from getting other items since you have to rush fron the beginning? Is true "100%" even possible in this game?

What comes to my mind, for example, is the side journey you gotta make from Treno during the card tournament, to get one of the coffees.
>>
>>2942293
No, I forgot to record it when I was making - whoa whoa you almost got me there, anon!
>>
File: drivein-17.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
drivein-17.webm
2MB, 640x480px
battletanx global assault and sometimes sega aladdin. learning goof troop co-op.
>>
>>2941430
Speedrunning, at least in an organized form, dates back to 1994 or so. The web was barely a thing then, let alone your precious "e-celebs."
>>
>>2943265
Someone did call his mom and record it though. It was posted on /v/ and it was hilarious.
>>
>>2941131
OP I'd prefer it if you'd stop posting this thread.
>>
>>2941131
So who was in the wrong here?

The autist cracking shitty jokes and annoying the runner?
Or the autist speedrunning the game that raged at him?
>>
>>2944762
>raged

You call that rage? That's irritated.
>>
>>2941416
>but LAM jumping was kinda annoying to do.

iirc, no one uses LAM jumping much anymore since the discovery of that one menu glitch that let's you infinitely scale the super-speed aug.

Doing such allows you to do arbitrarily high jumps, so it effectively replaces LAM jumps.
>>
>>2941543
>>2941547
what a twat. I'd really prefer it if he'd just be quiet.
>>
>>2944762
Based on caveman's account of what happened, chibi sort of invited himself to the couch, got too close to caveman, and then proceeded to just not shut up.
>>
File: neo_vr.jpg (277KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
neo_vr.jpg
277KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>2945396
8/8
>>
>>2945396
>Sonic 1 most overrated game
Should've been MGS because of that guy always making the overrated games generals with it.
>>
Crazy taxi
>>
>>2941131
I'm sorry, but I haven't reach that level of autism yet.
>>
I can run Morrowind in under 10 minutes.
Not /vr/ though.
>>
>>2941430
Fuck off you cunt speedrunners actually play these games and to a commendably high level unlike you nostalgia and collector tards, you are the real cancer here fucboi.
>>
>>2945279
Huh, didn't know about that actually. Is it a new find?
>>
>>2944762
I never understood why Caveman telling Chibi to shut up made people so butthurt. Chibi was an annoying cunt and Caveman told him to shut up in the most polite way possible. I can't fathom how this spurred so much drama.

Sage for off-topic drama.
>>
>>2946063
Because nobody else was doing commentary and it would've been an awkwardly silent run otherwise. While what he said was questionable, at least he tried to keep a conversation going, so Caveman snapping at Chibi was a bit rude. Plus a lot of dank Tomba memes came out of the deal, so it's all good.
>>
>>2946067
I don't see how silence is worse than listening to some autist act like a dipshit.
>>
>>2946070
Because it was an event where you're supposed to talk about the run? Even if he's lame nobody was explaining the run to the viewers anyway.
>>
what do you guys think the reason is for speedrunning threads always turning into discussions about people rather than games?

this isn't even like the /vg/ thread, where it's been going on so long there's nothing else to talk about. why does it turn into analysis of an awkward conversation so quickly.
>>
The time to tell Chibi to shut up was at the beginning of the run, not in the middle after being a passive-aggressive little shitstain for about half an hour.

How many runs have random people that have no affiliation with the runner force their way onto the couch? Just one, and the blame is on the runner who didn't have his shit together when it comes to arranging co-commentators.
>>
>>2946154

I agree. Caveman is a beta cuck that should have nipped that shit in the bud.
>>
The only people who think caveman did anything wrong are most likely huge spergs themselves, to be quite honest.
>>
>>2946235
Caveman a shit. Chibi a cute.

CHIBI DID NOTHING WRONG.
>>
>>2941463
We've got someone blind here don't we? Did you even see the OP's picture for size? Get fucked, fucking retard. It is obvious he's bringing e-celeb shit here just because of that.
>>
>>2947183
Only e-celebfags would know what the shit in the OP is even about. Which makes you the cancer.
>>
>>2941131
Nox, Montezuma's Return, Die by the Sword, Zorro (msdos), Arx Fatalis (although I guess this one is a bit more recent). Decent times I guess but for most games there's only 1 other runner.
>>
>>2941131
Twitch viewer here. Chat can actually be a lot of fun if you are not looking at the most popular runners. Games like the DKC trilogy, Yoshi's Island, the Zelda games and Megaman are a lot of fun to speedrun.

Off topic but er ... is it just me or has /vr/ really gotten a lot worse since the past 6 months? Seriously, so much /v/-tier trollbait posted here ...
>>
>>2947260
>retro games you like to speedrun
>not retro
literally what
>>
>>2947274
Anyone with more than 200 viewers tends to have faggy-as-fuck chat and autistic rules and mods who should be gassed.
>>
>>2947326
>tfw no mods
>tfw no chat
>tfw nobody watches my stream

The biggest problem is the twitch userbase itself. You have kids who think emotes are the funniest shit ever. Watching streamers who spam retarded shit and are super SJW. I often go on twitch looking for something or someone to watch but everything isn't to my tastes.

I've thought about starting streaming again, but right now I'm just gonna work on my gaming website and then maybe just do like post-game stuff on twitch like 100%ing a game or subsequent playthroughs. Let individual playthroughs be blind and without reading memes then going back and doing optional content is when I'd stream.
>>
>>2947381
You should move to Shitbox, it's slightly less cancerous than Twitch, though it's run by a sleazebag.
>>
>>2941430
>>2947183
This is why it's okay to make fun of autism

Kill yourself
>>
>>2946067
>it would've been an awkwardly silent run otherwise

How the fuck do you know? And how can you possibly consider silence "awkward" after seeing Chibi and his autistic hand movements and smug-ass autism smile?
>>
File: 133797282780.gif (95KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
133797282780.gif
95KB, 500x500px
>>2941490

you can cut a good 20-30 minutes off that time before you need to start worrying about getting out of w1 with a decent time. getting to sub 2 is really just dying less even if you're using safe strats and fluttering everywhere
>>
>>2947512
Caveman's commentary is also pretty good.

>>>2948548
Trihex please, follow your own advice.
>>
>>2947212
If you're on here and don't know anything about that picture at this point, you clearly are an ignorant person. I hate all that and even then I cannot help but to know what that shit is because of how many faggots shout it all over the place, and even today it's still going.

You're the cancer if you just decide to go and ignore anything related to vidya and then start discussions with your closed thoughts.
>>
I don't speedrun, but ever since I started watching runs I like to fuck around in OoT with all the cool glitches, I can spend hours just doing "what happens if I do X with Y?" situations. Also really fun to do self-made challenges like seeing how far I can get with no sword. Just tons of replayability.
>>
>>2948578
You might be interested in Max% Child. It's not really a speedrun, it's just trying to do as much as possible without ever becoming adult. With glitches that's a lot of stuff, including some of the temples.
>>
>>2948578
Funny glitches are pretty much the only reason to speedrun games. Why do people even bother with glitchless categories?
>>
>>2941131
does anyone have an archive of that time chibi got cucked on his own stream?
>>
>>2941131
None. I play games to have fun not to impress kids on youtube.
>>
>>2949359
bad at games confirmed
>>
>>2946121
>an event where you're supposed to talk about the run

Except if you pay attention to the video you would know chibi didn't even know what game was being played.

So, yeah, point still stands, you're supposed to talk ABOUT THE RUN, not about shitty autism pouts.
>>
>>2949539
All his shitty autism pouts pertained to the game being speedran though.
>>
>>2949543
Yeah, now we know who santa's helper is, that was such a great input to the speedrun you have no idea.
>>
I really want to record and upload me speed running Quake 2 on n64. There has never been one done for this game as far as i know, and i know a lot of crazy level and area skips and glitches. I'm pretty sure i could set a record for it. I've practiced it a lot.
>>
>I mean, I could always wear the pants
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>2950438
Whom are you quoting?
>>
>>2949474
>new at life confirmed
Does your mommy know you spend you nights shitposting on the fourth channel?
>>
File: Medievil_cover.jpg (76KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Medievil_cover.jpg
76KB, 450x450px
>>
>>2951225
>failure at life confirmed
Do your friends know you're making fun of days old posts on 4chan? Oh wait, you have none.
>>
>>2951267
Some baby mad
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.