[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't there been a new Parappa (or preferably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (158KB, 858x932px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158KB, 858x932px
Why hasn't there been a new Parappa (or preferably Lammy) game in years?
>>
because Guitar Hero and Rock Band made everyone realize just how fucking stupid the entire concept really is.

stay after school and learn to play an actual instrument instead.
>>
>>2940325
>learn to play an actual instrument instead
Don't wanna don't wanna DON'T WANNA
>>
>>2940316
After a certain point a lot of rhythm games banked on using some sort of peripheral to play instead of a normal controller and I guess they just didn't feel it would be profitable to make a new one.
>>
It wasn't even the gameplay that hooked me on Parappa and Lammy, it was the visual style, music, and humor. I'd totally buy a Parappa non-rythtm game.

The death of rythym games doesn't have to mean the death of Parappa.
>>
Just gonna name drop Gitarooh Man here even though it's not retro. Also Rythm Tengoku.
>>
File: tumblr_n6xmriBz6j1qg02deo1_500.png (66KB, 500x288px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6xmriBz6j1qg02deo1_500.png
66KB, 500x288px
>>2940316
Has NanaOn-Sga done anything of note lately? I know Vib-Ribbon finally was released in the US in 2014, and Sony has said they're "working on" a PS4 version, but haven't said anything since then.
>>
>>2940325
I don't get why people always pick on these two series when DDR was the true death of music games.

No, it doesn't teach you to dance. It makes you look like an idiot.
>>
>>2940316
lammy is cute. CUTE!
>>
>>2940325
Should I go shoot people too instead of play a fps?
>>
>>2940325
>stay after school and learn to play an actual instrument instead.
Rhythm games and playing instruments are two totally different experiences.
Especially if its like Parappa the Rappa, Osu or Rhythm Heaven and not a plastic instrument game.
>>
>>2941029
>I don't get why people always pick on these two series when DDR was the true death of music games.
Guitar Hero clones and sequels saturated the market for a while and turned everyone off of the concept after a while thanks to the being overexposed to them and the price of all the accessories. It kind of killed the ability for rhythm games to do well in the western console market.

They're still around and doing well but most are released with Japanese arcades in mind.
>>
File: 1341704589777.gif (3MB, 281x281px) Image search: [Google]
1341704589777.gif
3MB, 281x281px
>>2941029
DDR was great because it was halfway between an exercise and a game.

>No, it doesn't teach you to dance. It makes you look like an idiot.

You are a moron if you try learning to dance via DDR. And everyone playing the game looks like an idiot, even the people doing good, which is the whole point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDjBukBloW4

Of course this doesn't happen anymore with arcades being dead outside japan, and playing it alone at home is really stupid other than for getting some exercise.

It's part of the reason why I liked that Kinect Star Wars game - on top of being so massively stupid of an idea that it kind of worked, it was also a group activity like that.
>>
>>2940325
what if I want to exercise my eye-hand coordination while following the story of a nice kid who struggle just like me in a funny wacky world ?
what if i wanted to PLAY A VIDEO GAME ?????
>>
File: oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg (43KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
43KB, 500x496px
GOAT song coming through
>>
So were DDR songs real or made for the game?
>>
>>2941671
RIP
>>
>>2941671
psh.

posting on /v/r and not linking this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP5wG6EuYjM
>>
>>2941680
>So were DDR songs real or made for the game?

I think it was half of both. A lot of them were definitely licensed tracks, but many others I couldn't ever find anywhere else but in the game.
>>
UMMMM
JAMMER
LAMMY
>>
>>2941029
No one ever thought DDR teaches you to dance, where the fuck did you get that idea?
Also no one expected other rhythm games to be a 1:1 experience of actually playing an instrument. Doesn't mean these games can't be fun.
>>
File: 1447556896600.jpg (60KB, 400x437px) Image search: [Google]
1447556896600.jpg
60KB, 400x437px
>>2940993
Vib-Ribbon isn't actually that good. It's a cute concept but the gameplay is so mundane it's almost redundant.
>>
>>2941612
This. If anything a rhythm game can help you to maintain and recognize a certain tempo or time signature, but there's much much more to playing than that.
Try learning to read tabs or traditional sheet music with Guitar Hero. Try figuring out the differences between keys, hell, the difference between a major and minor key.
>>
>>2941918
I was going to retort about redundant gameplay in a rhythm game, but then I looked it up...
>This game only uses four buttons!
Also, games that let you Play Your Own Music are a huge red flag. Tracks mapped by algorithms are never as fun as professionally programmed tracks.

>>2941612
One highlight of playing Rhythm Heaven in college was that one of my friends had no rhythm to speak of, but then learned it through the game.
>>
>>2941029
>No, it doesn't teach you to dance. It makes you look like an idiot.

No shit but it's still incredibly fun and helps people who'd never exercise lose weight.
>>
>>2942370
>I play for fun
>>
>>2942381
Don't put words into my mouth as if they were your long hard cock.
>>
>>2941029
>DDR was the true death of music games.
What I read is
>I don't like DDR so it's bad
How did DDR kill music games? DDR /made/ rhythm games. What were you playing before DDR? Surely you weren't playing 5K Beatmania, fuck off you retard.
>>
>>2940316
Parappa died of AIDS.
>>
>>2940316
I heard it was a stretch for the original creators to even make the PS2 entry, so by that point I'm surethey were REALLY done with Parappa.

Then Nana-On-Sha worked on Major Minor's Majestic March which people literally won't even make fun of it's so bad. My guess is because a rhythm game dependent on unspecific waggling controls probably sucks as bad as it sounds (plus it looked weird and without enough charm like Parappa)

I'm happy with what we got.

>>2940325
I swear that even though I have an aptitude for music I can't learn an actual instrument, mechanically it's not for me which is strange since I love Rhythm Action. After spending money on 7 instruments and having them collect dust I know for sure. If anything though, composing music is what I think my practical music outlet is, to me that shit's easy.
>>
>>2941916
>Also no one expected other rhythm games to be a 1:1 experience of actually playing an instrument.

Other than the players, mind you.
>>
>>2942925
I never expected that, even from the very first Guitar Hero. Obviously a plastic guitar with 5 buttons is not a real guitar.

Rhythm games are their own separate thing, and I like them a lot.
>>
>>2942913
>7 instruments
maybe if you actually stuck it out with one of them and practiced it regularly, instead of hopping around between instruments like a madman you'd become decent?
>>
>>2940316
I think it's because rhythm games kind of fell out of favor until Guitar Hero popped up. Then Activision proceeded to milk that genre to death.

Also, didn't Dred Foxx go to jail or something a few years before he reprised the role of Parappa for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale?
>>
>>2942946
Don't make it sound like I bought them all at once. The most proficiency I ever had was with a keyboard, and bass guitar was coming along, but I still find all of them unnatural and unsatisfying for what I want. I also hate performing. Writing music fills that hole, though (in manuscript or a DAW doesn't matter).
>>2942925
I do not know anyone who feels like any given Rhythm Game teaches them an instrument legitimately, the closest one to being able to do that might be the taiko drum master games but as a non-drummer I have no idea and even that's probably a stretch somehow.
>>
For a paper cut out, Lammy is pretty cute.
>>
Remember, I ain't giving you peeps jack
>>
They honestly weren't that great of games. You gameplay was extremely simple and easy and you could beat it in 30 minutes.
>>
>>2943725
They were exactly the same as modern rhythm games. Modern rhythm games just have a bit more content. Make a fucking Project DIVA-like Parappa/UJL game with a ton of extra content/custom content and every one of you fucking kids will go apeshit over it.
>>
>>2942925
Wrong as fuck. Nobody who plays any sort of rhythm game genuinely believes that it's the same as playing a real instrument. Unless you're talking about people who play Rocksmith, which uses a real guitar.
>>
>>2943762

If we compare it to something like guitar hero, Parappa and Lammy are like playing one of the first tier songs on medium difficulty. It gets boring quickly and doesn't have a lot of replay value.
>>
>>2940316
because rhythm games are dead
Which blows asses filled with testicle juices because I fucking love the rhythm genre
>>
>>2943794
>rhythm games are dead
Do you play western games only or something?
>>
>>2943841
Even if you're only talking about western games that isn't true, because RB4 and Amplitude 2016 just came out not long ago.
>>
>>2943548
Agreed
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
We talking 'bout DDR and not post this classic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIn4L7hUmUI
>>
>>2943997
And they both flopped hard. What's your point?
>>
>>2941918
For a $6 downloadable title on PS3 these days, I think it's worth trying.
>>
File: _500.jpg (34KB, 455x640px) Image search: [Google]
_500.jpg
34KB, 455x640px
I actually can't play this game for shit, but I'd be damned if it isn't fun to watch and sing along with the video.
UP UP UP UP DOWN DOWN CHUUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6LjERY1MnY
>>
>>2944257
Ulala was my waifu before I knew what a waifu was
>>
>>2944257
Timing is strict as hell and there are absolutely no visual cues. I know /vr/ likes hard games but considering the type of public they were going for I think they should have made this game more casualized like Parappa, and made the default difficulty into hard mode.
Just my 2cc.
>>
>>2940325
I always thought this was kind of a stupid argument.

>pfff why play fighting games? just learn a real martial art
>pfff why play platformers? just run around outside and jump over things
>pfff why play first-person shooters? just join the military
>pff why play racing games? just get a real car
>>
>>2942370
DDR is actually horrible for cardio, because eventually you just learn to move your feet in the most efficient way possible, to the point that you're barely moving above the waist. It's not a full-body exercise like, say, Zumba.
>>
>>2944409
Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po75QzuMvh0
>>
>>2944409
I respectfully disagree, while jogging you barely move above the waist but it's still a decent enough work out for most people.
>>
>>2944409
I used to be around 100kg but lost nearly 20kg of weight due to Stepmania at home.

I did twist my foot quite a few times.
>>
>>2944441
>I did twist my foot
Should've played Zumba... tsk tsk
>>
>>2944481
Only old ladies play Zumba.
>>
>>2944395
on his merit though with real instruments and music, there's no penalty in failure, unlike the others you mentioned.
>>
>>2940325
BRUTAL

>>2942913
>I swear that even though I have an aptitude for music
> I can't learn an actual instrument
You're for real retarded, aren't you
>>
>>2945713
>Music theory and composition skills are equal to the physical and mechanical skills of performing with an actual instrument
>>
>>2945721
Okay, buddy. What musical skills do you have? And playing an instrument? There are dozens of types and all it requires is practice. Hell, you can just play guitar which is the easiest instrument on the planet to play basic music with. There's literally nothing stopping you.

Also
>music theory
You use that term, but I doubt you know what it means. I bet you think chord construction is theory.
>>
>>2940325
Easily, the most retarded thing I've read on 4chan this year.
>>
>>2945736
Being able to tune an instrument, and composing music can be done without actually learning an instrument.
>>
>>2944409
I'm not saying it's a good work out but it managed to get people who'd otherwise never even bother to at least do something and lose some weight.
>>
>>2945854
It you can compose music, you can play a piano even if it's just slowly. Try again.
>I can compose without having ever touched an instrument or knowing how to play one
Said no composer ever.
>>
>>2946016
>Said no composer ever.
Said a lot of tracker music composers. And a lot of them can't read sheet music either.
>>
>>2944409
This is one reason why touching the bar should be an instant disqualification in competition.
>>
>>2946021
It is literally impossible to have music theory knowledge and composition skills and be unable to play a single instrument. Many instruments require only that you press a switch or hit a string, which means that if you know how tones/time are put together to create music, you can play to a reasonable extent.
>>
>>2946050
Just knowing what to press isn't enough, you also having to actually press things with correct timing. This is very difficult, even on "easy" instruments like guitar which are actually very difficult because of the extreme hand contortion required. It's not like playing a rhythm game with easy to press buttons.
>>
>>2946083
>I have no rhythm
>but I can compose music
Not how it works
>>
>>2946083
you could've simply said you're lacking in motor coordination skills required and things would've been much easier for everyone
>>
>>2946050
>have no music theory knowledge and composition skills
You could have just said that
>>
>>2944257
Sega back in the day was hype as fuck with their games.
>>
>>2940859
Gitaroo Man is so fucking good its unreal. If you ever enjoyed Parappa, or even just rhythym games in general, you owe it to yourself to play that game.

I still go back and beat it on master mode every year
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.