[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 17

File: 1385114770366.png (7KB, 486x451px) Image search: [Google]
1385114770366.png
7KB, 486x451px
?
>>
Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Metroid come to mind.
>>
>>2940294
Thisisbait.jpg
>>
>>2940294
Super metroid for sure, I was too impatient for it when i was a kid.

I hated horror games as a kid, quite like silent hill now.
>>
Earthbound
>>
>>2940295
I didn't dislike them as a kid, I just couldn't get into them (because I was a retard kid and only Super Mario World wasn't too hard for me).
>>
I guess Quake 1 & 2. I played alot of Duke 3d back then and I liked how the maps felt like "real" places while Quake was this brown or gray outlandish place
>>
>>2940284
How about the opposite?

Every 2D Mario game. I liked em enough as a kid but over the years I've grown to realize they just aren't very good platformers. They're okay. But they're not great.
>>
Vectorman
>>
>>2940284
Uncommon answer maybe, but for me it was Doom.

I had no idea how you were supposed to play, and I was terrible at it. I'd always play with cheat codes, only use the KB controls, and even then never use strafing effectively. I also didn't know how to use the map intelligently, and I'd spend a huge amount of time wandering around until I accidentally found the exit.

Playing it correctly, I'd easily put it in my top 5 games ever.
>>
>>2940284
Super Metroid might be the game where I had the biggest swing in opinion between my first and second playthroughs, but the first time I played it was when I was 16 or 17, so I'm not sure if it really counts.

I couldn't get into FF6 when I played it as a kid but later enjoyed it a lot.

I'm coming around on Earthbound, but again I first played it in high school so not entirely a kid.
>>
>>2940294
Is Mario 3 really as good as people say it is? A surprising number of people put in very highly on their "best games of all time" lists, but I don't see why. I played it on the GBA and it felt like just another platformer to me (this was years ago though).
>>
>>2940284

Everything on Sega Genesis

I was, unfortunately, really caught up in 4th gen console wars and was really close minded about the genesis. Then, during 5th gen, I joined the 4th gen idort master race after buying a genesis and a bunch of games at a garage sale out of curiosity. It felt good to be free of being manipulated into being a volunteer employee of a marketing department.
>>
Easy Zelda 2
>>
>>2940284

Probably SimCity 2000.

I didn't hate the game, but I was too young and impatient to take the time to learn and fully understand the game mechanics when I first played it. And thus it didn't resonate with me.

Now I really enjoy it.

>>2940360

The opposite for me would be Mortal Kombat II.

I tried really hard to love it and convince myself it wasn't a bad game growing up, and I still appreciate aspects of it to this day.

But each time I play it, the gameplay feels worse and worse and the rubberbanding AI becomes more and more intolerable.
>>
>>2940284
The arcade version of Outrun, hated it as a kid. I love it now.
>>
>>2940406
Love when children play the original of a game that has inspired so many games after it and call it "just another (games it inspired)" because they have no goddamn perspective on gaming history.

Another reason I think kids should have to play at least 2-3 years of pre-1995 gaming before playing anything else.
>>
File: r-type-screenshot.jpg (95KB, 770x525px) Image search: [Google]
r-type-screenshot.jpg
95KB, 770x525px
The first game you play in a genre always colors the games you've played afterwards. My first shoot-em-up was Phalanx for the SNES, and for a long time I thought other games in the genre were inferior to it.
>>
Medal of Honor. They're fucking amazing, but the dumb kid me thought they were boring and too slow
>>
>>2940442
So are you capable of explaining why it's a good game or not?
>>
>>2940284
Resident evil. I went from mario to tank controlles and being eaten alive.
>>
>>2940428
Nice I feel the same way.
>>
>>2940284
>>2940414
Everything Sega in general for me too. Growing with Nintendo and Sony whenever I saw a Master System/Mega Drive/Saturn it just felt alien somehow, can't explain. To me video games were things like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Final Fantasy and the like, so when I went to a friend's house and he was playing those "weird Sega games" with that weird controller where you can't even press every face button at once with your thumb and there are even less buttons in general I just couldn't like it. And the Sega section on gaming magazines was full of unrecognizable names to me too, so everything Sega to me looked like the discount bootleg version of Nintendo.

Luckily I grew up and am now posting this with an emulator running Sonic 2 open in the background while I eat.
>>
>>2940482

Not him, but the platforming is heavily based around momentum. It's not as forgiving as DKC or Kirby, but you can do some pretty impressive things once you've mastered it.

The level design is fantastic. Every single level adds a new twist to the gameplay and the difficulty curve is nearly perfect.

The overworld map is utilized well. It's not completely linear and the way the ship at the end of each level moves around the map gives a bit of extra challenge.
>>
kid chameleon
>>
>>2940360
You retarded faggot.
>>
>>2940639
It's an opinion though, anon. No need to be hostile.
>>
>>2940639
What did you plan to accomplish with this post?
>>
All western PC RPGs
hated those as a weeaboo faggot kid, appreciate them now
>>
>>2940728
I'm interested what game turned you off the genre
>>
>>2940728
Same.

Still love JRPGs though.

>>2940730
For me it was Fallout 1.
>>
Batman for NES, but only because I sucked at level 3 and onward.
>dat music
>dem graphics
>dat wall jumping
>>
This shit right here. As a kid I would just wander around aimlessly with no idea what I was supposed to be doing. As I got older and realized how simple it actually was I can to enjoy it quite a bit more.
>>
DOOM

I was 2 when it came out and by the time I was old enough to handle a mouse and keyboard I was playing games like UT, Q3A, and CS1.6 and I thought DOOM looked awful.

Got bored during a trip to my wife's homeland a few years ago. Only had a shitty laptop that couldn't run modern games. Decide to play DOOM cause I'm bored. Best decision of my life.
>>
>>2940284
persona games on ps1.
>>
Any racing game.
>>
>>2940775
>fallout 1
Lol I can see that, it really is weeb repellent.
>>
>>2940630
Thanks for the answer! I have been intending to play SMB3 again, on the NES this time, so we'll see what I think of it this time.
>>
>>2940728
I'm 23 and still a huge weeaboo. All Western PC RPGs seem bland and soulless to me. Witcher 3 put me to sleep. But then again, I've only played modern WRPGs. Are retro ones better?
>>
>>2940913
I really dislike the setting in most wrpgs. Its a little too samey and brown for me but to each their own. If I had to pick I would go diablo or fallout 2. Your mileage may vary but both are solid games.
>>
File: battletoads-usa.png (379KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
battletoads-usa.png
379KB, 360x500px
I liked it when I was a kid, I just never got passed Turbo Tunnels. beat if for the first time a few years ago, now I can get through it in my sleep and I consider it one of my favorite games of all time.
>>
Populous.
>>
>>2940621
Can really relate to this as well actually. During SNES vs Genesis era I had a SNES while a couple of friends had the Genesis. I thought Sonic the Hedgehog was a good series of games and really enjoyed playing Sonic 2's multiplayer at friend's places but it seemed like they all had at most 3 or 4 games, including a Sonic game or 2 and then fighting games (which I didn't really care for at that age).

I remember thinking it was a total sham that Sonic wasn't on the SNES, but then I'd go home and have Super Mario World, Mega Man X, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart, Bomberman, Star Fox, etc. I recall one of my friends saying he wished his parents had bought a SNES instead of a Genesis and I felt bad for him about it. Meanwhile my cousins across the city had the SuperScope which was actually really cool to me, while the Sega CD/32X seemed like a huge rip off: "Wow, you guys have to buy more parts for your console if you want to get new games for it? My cousins SNES game came with new parts for their console"

All those factors made Sega seem like a poor man's Nintendo to me. Didn't help that their advertising strategy seemed to me to scream "Please look at us! We promise we're better than Nintendo!"

Years gone by and I realized my friends just didn't buy as many games as me / were maybe unsure what games to buy. The Genesis had a really great library, games like Wonder Boy in Monster World, Ecco, Phantasy Star and Altered Beast have really grown on me over time.
>>
Half-Life. Felt strange to play it after Doom/DN3D/Quake. Too stupid as kid to understand the story or even the simplest puzzles. Went through the single player game only after playing various mods for several years.
>>
>>2941032
Same boat. My best friend had a handful of shit games on the genesis while I was rocking mystical ninja, goof troop, Kirby super star etc etc. No matter where the slumber party was my snes was there. He did end up getting contra harp corps though and that was awesome.
>>
Castlevania
>>
>>2940284
Dark Souls
>>
>>2941032

Mentioned this in another thread, but it took the 3DS remakes of Sega games for me to like the company.

3D Comix Zone and Daytona W H E N
>>
>>2941274
Never, they already finished to make ports.
>>
This didn't happen when I was a kid, though maybe when I was in high school though. While I was downloading and trying different games I came across Splatterhouse 2 and thought it was fairly dull. A few years later I gave it another shot and had a bunch of fun with it. Sure it is a basic 2D beat 'em up, but it has a lot of style and awesome looking bosses.
>>
>>2940462
Is this some kind of mutant spaghetti?
>>
Majora's Mask.
I really hated the dungeons (still do with the exception of Stone Tower) and was wanting it to basically be Ocarina of Time, rather than the low-key character and atmosphere driven game it was.
Now I consider it one of my favorite Zelda games, and favorite games period, despite the mediocre dungeons.
>>
>>2940360
No.
However that is exactly how I feel about 2D Sonic games.
Sure, most of the 3D ones are bad as well, but despite the flaws I always had much more fun with them (specifically Adventure 2) than I did with any of the 2D ones.
>>
>>2941326
We wouldn't expect a tripfag to know what good games are let alone a common one.
>>
>>2941332
Snowhead is one of my favorite dungeons in any Zelda game. It was really just Woodfall and Great Bay that were bad, although that's 50% of the dungeons right there.
>>
>>2940284
Basically every JRPG. As a kid, I had no patience for them, and could not see the appeal of random battles and selecting your attacks from a menu. I still don't see the appeal to those things, but now that I'm older, I understand the true appeal of a JRPG is in the strategy, exploration and team-building. Also the story I suppose, but most JRPGs have some pretty retarded, anime-tier shit plots, but they're basically just a means to an end to me.
>>
>>2940284
Crash Bandicoot.
I always though it looked bad and had limited gameplay when i was a kid, but it's actually a fun solid game
>>
>>2941389
Snowhead had a neat concept, but I don't think it was executed well. It just felt boring to me, and Wizrobe battle were always a chore.
>>
>>2940442
Yeah it's the "Led Zeppelin isn't good music" or "Seinfeld is unfunny" effect.

It's hard to grasp how anyone can enjoy a completely revolutionary piece of media. When you've consumed media that refined and remixed the concept many many times before consuming the inspiration.
>>
>>2940621
Sega's stuff is just less refined and polished than Nintendo's games. As a Sega kid I felt it was bsckwards like Nintendo felt too Disney and overproduced... Sega's more raw style was more interested.
>>
Can't really think of any. I pretty much liked all the games I played as a kid.

There's many supposedly great and famous game that I still haven't gotten around to playing, including virtually all platformers, traditional shmups and racing games.
>>
>>2940284
diddy kong racing. I didn't appreciate it because I felt like I got gypped and got a knock-off cart game instead of mario kart 64. But looking back, DDR was incredibly innovative and had a fuckton of different tracks, game modes, vehicles, a unique story mode and challenges, and all sorts of shit. It's now my favorite cart racer
>>
Gex 64

My neighbor worked at blockbuster and they were clearing out some games. He got it for free and gave it to me. Played it for about an hour and got bored. Never touched it again for a long time. I just recently popped it in again and loved it! Played through the whole thing. What a great game!
>>
>>2940284
First-person shooters as a genre.
>>
>>2941335

How distorted can one's taste be?
>>
>>2940284
super mario world
>>
>>2941032

Did you only think the genesis had 4 games for it or something?
>>
Shadowgate 64.
>>
>>2941332
>despite the mediocre dungeons
I actually enjoyed the dungeons in that game more than most of OoT's dungeons. Still, Jabu-Jabu, Ganon's Castle and Forest Temple are pretty boss.
>>
>>2941821

There are people who still think like this even today.
>>
>>2940284
KOF as a kid. Mostly because my brothers always told me that it was Street Fighter for Mexicans.
actually, my brother still says that shit

played KOF 95 at a cousin's house on the PS1 (I think it was '95), and dropped that opinion pretty quickly
and then when I found out about MAME, started playing KOF '96 and '97 a ton

>>2941274
>3D Daytona
fuck me, I want this so badly it hurts
was about to wonder how it'd work, but you'd just use A/B/X/Y to shift and L/R for gas/brake

>>2941307
didn't they say that like, twice already
>>
>>2940284
S3&K. Not really sure why I didn't like that one so much as a kid.
>>
>>2940284
That game for me is DKC3, I grew up playing DKC1. But i found a copy of the DKC3 GBA port and i now regret being so autistic as a kid
>>
>>2940284
Blood
>>
File: skull.gif (72KB, 310x293px) Image search: [Google]
skull.gif
72KB, 310x293px
Wanted and expected Fallout: D&D edition. Got Bad Pathfinding: The Game.

With that issue long gone, I now find it to be one of my favorite games ever. It really took BG 2 coming out and being great for me to even want to revisit this, and over the years I've come to appreciate the wonderful atmosphere, variety of playstyle, replayability, and lack of annoying story shit.
>>
>>2940639
>>2940676
>>2940696
Guys, this is just how nintenbabies talk, ignore him.
>>
>>2940284
Faxanadu.
>>
>>2941975
Yeah I really hate how BG2 is like, start out in a dungeon that you magically get captured into without any chance to fight back because of the gary stu mcrulebreaker villain, okay you escaped and the story shit is over, here is this fun open world to explore in with a short term benchmark goal

then you meet that goal and the game pressures you to go and progress with the story RIGHT NOW, but when you do it's like, say goodbye to all those fun sidequests while you get railroaded for the next ten straight hours by an unending stream of complete bullshit

fuck these games seriously
>>
>>2942059
I'd rather ignore the type of poster who uses terms like "nintenbabies".
Take you console wars bullshit to /v/.
We actually like video games here.
>>
>>2940284
Closest I can think of id Paradroids. I didn't so much dislike it, rather I just wasn't as into the game as much as my friends were. Now, Freedroid gets installed into every system I set up.
>>
>>2940360
>Not that I need to give an example of what is great of course
>I'll just throw out the idea that Mario is sub-par despite it's known reception and expect it to go over well
>>
Superman 64? I was fine with MP since I had someone to play with I guess. No idea why it was bought, maybe just the TV cartoon appeal. I like it as a mention now because I later learned of the widespread disdain.

I probably can't think of others because I liked learning game details(sometimes with a cheat device), and played 6 /vr/ consoles, G&W/GB(s), PC/Mac, arcade, so I never was a system fanboy or ended up disliking what games I chose since I wasn't "blind".
>>
>>2941852
There are also people who think the SNES library consists entirely of bargain-bin RPG's and Mario games.

"Sega does what nintendon't" was pretty much the "PS3 has no games" meme of its generation.
>>
>>2940284
Zelda 1 and 2. Super Metroid. I was too dumb as a kid to advance in those games. Also, english was a barrier.
>>
Damn it, I can't think of anything... As a kid, I loved everything, regardless if I couldn't read English (I only knew French) and got stuck at the time.
>>
I honestly can't think of any. I was a lot more tolerant of flaws in games when I was younger than I am now. There are many games where I've had the opposite experience. Pokemon games come to mind.

The closest is probably Pitfall 3D. It was hard to get into as a kid with the dull graphics and choppy controls, but I now see the interesting level ideas and hear Bruce Campbell's awesome voice acting. Those weren't quite as apparent to me before.
>>
>>2942416

Well, RPGs and platformers are the main reason why you'd get into SNES.

And PS3 literally didn't have games for years.
>>
>>2940968

Why are you such a bad gamer that you have trouble getting past that?
>>
>>2942430
Too dumb? It's so cryptid no child would figure it out on his own. Not without Nintendo Power!
>>
Solitaire
>>
>>2940284
Final Fantasy IV. When you learn to look at the fundamentals instead of looking for more and more half-baked new mechanics like an ADD spastic it becomes a lot easier to appreciate what that game did. It's a huge step up over any prior FF in terms of enemy AI and is more like a Dragon Quest game than any other FF - it has a great difficulty curve that never gets too frustrating and stops being so easy that it's mind-numbing very early on.
>>
GTA 2
I hated it because my friend always wanted to play it when he came over
then a bit older I started to play it myself and love it to this day
I was such a hipster before it was even a thing
>>
>>2940284
CRPGs mainly
>>
>>2940406
The GBA versions suck a lot. Play the original (Super Nintendo) ones.
>>
Diablo 1 and 2.

All my friends played the fuck out of 2 around 2001 when LoD dropped, and I was kind of forced to play with them on b.net as they didn't want to play anything else. I was big into JRPGs at the time and the ARPG style of Diablo wasn't my cup of tea. Not to mention, playing on b.net was cut-throat, even my 'friends' would fuck my over with random PKing and stealing my shit for fun (I was that kid in the group that got picked on) and I remember all my adventures of trying to find people outside my group of 'friends' to help/rush me through acts ended up pretty much the same, meeting assholes, PKing etc.

Anyway, came back to the games I think 5 years ago? Played D1 and LOVED it, the fucking atmosphere and gameplay. Obviously I can say the same for D2. Actually having time to take my time and pace through the story, and appreciate the word building/atmosphere and killer sprites was something that was sadly robbed from me as a kid.

Moral of the story: don't have shitty friends, and know who you want to play with online to have more fun. (idk how b.net is today, haven't been online with D1 or D2 in years, as you can pretty much get everything offline with some know-how and mods anyway.)
>>
>>2943247
At least your first Diablo wasn't 3 lol.

But I'm happy you got to have a good experience with the games after-all anon, actually having fun with a game is where it's at.
>>
Fallout
>>
>>2942430
Same with me and Link's Awakening. I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 when I played it, so I would just keep restarting the game and walking around the first few screens over and over, not even really understanding what the goal of the game was. Makin. It as far as the second dungeon was a major accomplishment.
>>
Every fucking rpg in English, my comprehension only improved with scan and TV show few years ago, before that.... Well...
Oh and Tecmo World Cup 93 (sega master system), I always thought that it was difficult like hell but it's actually pretty easy to win the world cup even with the worst team.
>>
>>2943445
>Diablo 3

Yeah fuck that game. Just reading about not being able to make fun non-cookie cutter builds like a mele sorc put me off. And the whole always online debacle, auction house etc.

No thanks.
>>
Resident Evil pre-3
>>
>>2943571
None of that is true anymore, though. But of course, it's popular so it's shit never change 4chan
>>
>>2940621
Seconding this. With the passage of time, I've learned to appreciate more the genesis in comparison to the snes. Now I almost like it more than the snes.
NES/famicom is still better than both, though.
>>
>>2941332
I learned to appreciate Majora's Mask much later as well. The problem, though, was that the game seemed too daunting. The idea of having a time limit kinda ruined the game for me. Of course now I know you can reset the time, slow it down and stuff, but back then I had no idea. It seemed harsh and unfair.
>>
>>2943575
I'm sure it's changed with the patches and DLC. I just don't care for it, I'm very happy with D1/D2.
>>
File: latest.jpg (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
422KB, 640x480px
>>2941508
DDR?
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 282x218px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 282x218px
Fallout and Fallout 2, I was too young to get into it really and never ended up beating Fallout 2 but I went on a long trip that left me with lots of free time at sea and played them on my laptop. Instantly fell in love with them, loved the story, music, simplicity and dialogue of it all, went on to playing FO3 and New Vegas on my home rig when I got back
>>
>>2943597
So you're just going to hold your now outdated first impressions against the game after they addressed every single one of those issues?

That's pretty crass, even the /vr/ Diablo general acknowledges that Diablo 3 stopped sucking after the expansion came out.
>>
>>2943619
Yes?
>>
>>2943624
Then you can honestly not fucking mention the game if you don't actually know anything about it.
>>
>>2943767
Sorry I triggered you my man.
>>
File: 2361210nes_castlevania31.jpg (575KB, 1534x2100px) Image search: [Google]
2361210nes_castlevania31.jpg
575KB, 1534x2100px
The original Castlevanias on NES.. Love them now.
>>
>>2943247
that paladin now looks so much more like an honest, upstanding person. why is that?
>>
File: 1058947313-00.jpg (98KB, 640x921px) Image search: [Google]
1058947313-00.jpg
98KB, 640x921px
My dad got this when he bought a ps1 to play racing games on. Was 6 at the time so this game was way too hard for me.
>>
>>2940462
fuck I couldn't get into r-type as a kid, I knew what it was and I knew it was well liked I just couldn't get into it cause I grew up playing verts mostly and didnt understand the level design. Now I think r-type is one of the greatest games of all time and level 3 is one of the best most well designed and actually epic video game levels of all time. Defeating the giant bydo warship is the most badass shit ever.
>>
Hitman, it always looked like some shitty gangster gam series. How wrong I was.
>>
>>2944157
That's because the game is genuinely hard. It's an early 3D game and Psygnosis haven't gotten the physics all thought out yet. Go look up Wipeout 2097 (XL in NA) and try that.
>>
>GTA 1 and 2
>Ocarina of time and majora's mask
>fallout
>Final fantasy 6 and 7
>Every metroid game
>Mario kart 64 (I though it was kinda lame compared to CTR but now i think it's actually pretty good)
>The entire WRPG genre
>N64 castlevanias
>>
>>2944191
I'm a big fan of the series, I just didn't like them as a kid.
>>
>>2944476
Also most of sega library too, since they have that arcade feel while nintendo games had that epic adventure feel to them, now that i'm older and i like to play short but hard games, i appreciate the genesis and the saturn more.
>>
>>2940284
Final Doom's TNT Evilution. Used to think it had the worst level design out of the iwads, but more recently, I find it had a lot less duds than Doom 2, and plenty of great levels that I can appreciate now.
>>
FFVII. Being serious.
>>
>>2942505
Don't act so high and mighty. Most kids didn't pass stage 3 at all let alone goin back to it at a later date.
Even for me to pass it as a kid it took me weeks of practice. Even more once I started to play it with my best friend.
>>
>>2942491
Why would you listen to that tripfag, he's literally the stupidest person on this board I swear he rarely adds anything to the conversation other than confusion and annoyance.
>>
Vagrant Story, it's indisputably one of the best games ever made but as a kid I thought it was unplayable garbage.
>>
>>2940284
I'm still not the biggest fan of it and can't be bothered to complete it but I've become less harsh on Chrono Cross over the years.
It's definitely a very flawed game but now that I'm not a pre-teen angry that it's not Trigger 2 I'm able to pick on what it actually did well.

I went back to Castlevania 1 after playing Dracula's Curse and Rondo too. It's controls felt strange to me the first time I've played.
>>
Azure Dreams
I didn't understand roguelikes.
>>
>>2940284
any rpg's or text-heavy games as English isn't my native language, so playing any of them was chore.
>>
Mischief Makers
I bought the N64 so I could play those badass 3d games
>>
>>2945608
I put off playing it a few years because it was overhyped, but when I finally played it, it was pretty much the perfect sequel to 3/6.
>>
Skies of Arcadia.
>>
>>2948994
only murrica and by extension canucks whined about vii
vi was the last game for nintendofags to defend with, so they overrate vi
jp rated vi the lowest out of 3-10, and yurop didn't have ff, at least the main ones
kind of funny, vii still shows it had stages of dev intended for nintendo, but since the company did something stupid i don't care to remember, they moved on to ps1
also a bit odd to call it a "sequel", the main games were all standalones until sakaguchi fucked up with spirits within and they had to churn out crap under squenix
>>
>>2945715
>he
>>
>>2950083
Rating it the lowest of 3-10 sounds a bit harsh, I'd say that for all that you can hate it (for some reason) it's at least more interesting than 3 and 4. 3 barely has characters, and the job system is very primitive, optional content is low, and final dungeon is a drag. 4 also has very little side content, and a drag of a final dungeon, and while it has interesting ideas and gets you invested on characters, 6 does a better job on both fronts, and has a lot of content. I don't even like 6 much myself, and it's a buggy mess far from perfect, but it was pretty great at least for its time. Maybe japan just loved V and its job system too much to rate it honestly.
>>
>>2940284
I can't really think of a game I had as a kid that I didn't like, in fact looking back I played and mastered some stuff that today I'd consider unplayable messes in terms of gameplay (Snake Rattle and Roll comes to mind). I just played whatever was bought for me, really. I have to admit tho, that there are some games that I never managed to finish as a kid and I had to come back to as an adult to finish. Like Castlevania holy shit I got to Dracula once but I never managed to kill him. Took me a while to finish it as an adult too, then I went back on NG+ (where everything hits you for 4 damage even on early stages), and it was much easier. Death's stage is still a bitch to pass tho (and Death itself is the hardest boss for me, bit too random). Now that I think about it, while I played it a lot, I never managed to finish Castlevania II as a kid either. I blame the obscure puzzles and the localization, tho. Still liked it.
>>
>>2943040
>Mario 3
>Super Nintendo being the original version
I don't know why, but I hear this bullshit a lot. I think some people just can't believe that SMB3 was a NES game because of how good it was. Or maybe it's because of that SMB1-2-3+Lost Levels collection thing.
>>
>>2940284
Metroid
>>
>>2940950
Same here. I just can't stand the dirt aestheics nor the generally shit combat of pc rpgs.
>>
Every non-sports game. The only other games that looked interesting to me as a kid were Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64. I only started to play other vidya when I somehow got a Gamecube in 7th grade (like seven or eight years ago) and played Super Mario Sunshine. I got interested in Nintendo, so I worked backwards from there and remember being blown away by Ocarina of Time. Now I pretty much stick to retro games, mainly playing SNES and N64.
>>
>>2951176
hate? jp liked all those ff, though it's interesting that vi was the lowest, keeping in mind that they can judge with how each game(and other square games closely related that may be jp only) was released by original completion, without localization oddities or entire game skips
it's kind of apparent which ff of each console they(and maybe in combination with other territories) liked the most, since both iii and iv got remakes
needless to say how vii is regarded, with its media, spread, and pretty much being the ff/square representative, even appearing on nintendo's smash
i wouldn't be able to tell you why iii and iv are preferred, since there could be various circumstances, like players could think vi etc was too easy, or could have had too much rehash of what they've already seen in a game that may not necessarily be square's
something like smash may not be received as one might think, seeing as multiple generations of fighting game players jp or not, along with staff of such franchises(who get together), never associated themselves with it, despite what some western groups want to categorize the game as
jp never matched it with the genre, and somewhat disliked smash's own concept
i suppose you could say some fanboys refuse to see the status of things
>>
pac-man, soul reaver & tomb raider
>>
File: 1445825095433.gif (702KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
1445825095433.gif
702KB, 250x189px
>>2940284
DKC2 and 3
>>
>>2951868
Remakes however might simply happen because the original games were lacking (which is kinda true). FFI and FFII also got remakes before III and IV (although not as radical, there were improvements in gameplay and they changed FFI's magic system), maybe they're just going in order (like all Dragon Quest games up to VII). III and IV have both aged pretty bad and kinda needed a remake.
>>
>>2940284
Fallout 1 and 2. Oddly enough I bet I would have enjoyed them if I had played them when I was a kid around 8-10.

I first played fallout 1 in my mid teens and did not like it but I gave it another try last year and loved it.
>>
My brother worked at Electronics Boutique and got a free copy of Deus Ex from a regional manager who got it from a trade show. I tried it but didn't like it since I played fast paced first person shooters at the time.

I played it and beat it a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
>>
>>2940284
The Legend of Zelda
Not that I didn't like it, but I appreciate it alot more now.
>Zelda will never be an adventure series ever again
>Just puzzle games forever
>>
>>2940284
The closest thing I can think of like this was Quake 1. It came out when I was shitty as fuck at FPS in the early years and it shit on my machine and I even played it a few years later and it was less fun than Duke etc... After I got into Quake 3 when I went back and tried it and saw how other people were playing I got hooked and played the shit out of Quakeworld both multi and singleplayer and appreciated it for it was. Netquake was still kind of eh for singleplayer. I got to see the height of Quakeworld multiplayer, not the most people playing it but the best people playing it, the pinnacle of skilled deathmatch that wasn't even close to how it was being played back in 96.

Otherwise for the most part the opposite is true, games I liked when I was a kid I came to dislike as I grew older and the problems were glaringly obvious and I had less taste and less patience for poor gameplay.
>>
>>2952612
nah iii and iv are very strong entries for ff, as if being vii for their respective console
both have their own entry for large multigame projects to showcase ff, where others entries could be something like the creation of dissidia, or war of the lions for fftactics
iii's support allowed a release of its own ds hardware to go along with it, while iv has after years and interlude, in addition to both iii and iv getting other media
i and ii only got ports and updates similar to many other main games, nothing to really match new hardware, or not noted as being a port
they both actually got an update on their original console bundled into a single cart, and both would then be on a singular media again for a later system
>>
>>2951176
>drag of a final dungeon
>6 does a better job on both fronts

Nigga what? 6 has the worst final dungeon in the series. You have to either grind out a second and third party or run it three times with the same party.

>>2950083
I don't know what you're really trying to say here. 6 (or 3 as it was called) was the first one I played and 7 felt like a sequel because the story structure is so similar as is the way you customize your characters.
>>
>>2954008
3's final dungeon is nightmarish.
>>
File: actraiser-4.jpg (163KB, 640x474px) Image search: [Google]
actraiser-4.jpg
163KB, 640x474px
>>2940284
Actraiser and Doom.
>>
>>2954008
ff's main games(i-x) never had any tie ins/sequels in terms of another game, they only started doing so after spirits within shat itself/squenix kicked in
of course the main games are all rpg's and usually involve saving the world, but they're meant to be treated separately even dev wise, like how you didn't need i-v, nor is skipping any at random going to really affect ix's intended grasp
>>
for me it any rpg, never cares much about any i tried, in fact i think i never played chrono trigger back then, but ended up liking when trying it out emulated.

>>2942340
>you're not allowed to state your opinion
> it's known reception
george constanza.jpg
reception? you could have written its fandom, but wouldn't reception and popularity be what is was regardless of how good or bad it were seeing as it shipped with the fraking console?

im not that anon though, i didnt care much at all about super mario world, then and now, probably you needed to have played previous titles to enjoy it, becaus i never even tried anythin with mario as main character previous or since, except for the smash bros'es (hence "main character")
>>
>>2941841
>>JabuJabu

Fuck

That
>>
>>2954076
... You didn't like DOOM as a kid?
Must have been a little pussyboy playing with dolls all day.
>>
>>2952436
Something similar to me. At first, DKC3 felt like a disappointment because it looked, sounded and played a little differently than the two prequels.
After several years I gave it another chance and despite its flaws it has become my favorite out of the SNES DKC trilogy.

I didn't like Pilotwings much when I was a kid because it was so hard and the music was so weird to me. Nowadays, I can appreciate the variety and the replay value of that game.
>>
Mario - Lost Levels

As a kid I got frustrated, as an adult I got fascinated
>>
Myst.
>>
Pokemon.
>>
File: street-fighter-logo[1].jpg (397KB, 2056x1448px) Image search: [Google]
street-fighter-logo[1].jpg
397KB, 2056x1448px
This whole series.

KOF and Fatal Fury are so much better at fucking everything (gameplay, music, graphics, character design, gameplay, story), that SF literally disgusted me and grossed me out.

I've recently learned to enjoy it, but there are still a lot of things about it that I hate.
>>
>>2955987
You don't know the half of it. Whenever I was specifically not playing Doom, it was just doll time 24-7, whenever my brother booted up Doom I would carry them in my dress downstairs out of pure fear, god those were the days.

At least I eventually saw the light. You learn to appreciate classic FPSes for what they were, and they weren't even that scary. I still wear dresses, though.
>>
>>2941967
This.

and Hexen.

Hexen wasn't really made for 10 year olds.
>>
Earthbound. Found it so boring when I was younger.
>>
Bushido Blade

Hated it as a kid, but now I love it. Why can't there be more realistic games like it?
>>
>>2956239

BUILD WALL
>>
Everything on Sega Genesis that WASN'T Sonic The Hedgehog or Golden Axe. It took til I hit 16 and bought a Genesis at a yard sale to realize how many hidden gems it had. Rocket Knight Adventures and Ranger X especially.
>>
xcom, fallout 2/tactics, doom 2
wasn't a big fan of those as a kid
>>
Chrono Trigger
>>
Pretty much every game I've played when I was younger that I didn't like, I still don't like to this day. However I had a very wide variety of games I enjoyed, everything from RTS to FPS to JRPGS and Fighting games. I can't think of a single game that I've gone back and played and enjoyed. Anyone else in this boat?
>>
>>2960391
>However I had a very wide variety of games I enjoyed, everything from RTS to FPS to JRPGS and Fighting games. I can't think of a single game that I've gone back and played and enjoyed.
come again?

so duke nukem, Age of Empires 2, n64-007, marvel vs capcom, bomberman, homeworld, donkey kong... nah?

like..hum... if no game you played in your adolescence you enjoy aynmore, what are you even doing reading this board? if u dont mind me asking...
>>
Duck Tales on the NES
>>
Perfect Dark
>>
Ocarina of Time. I loved 2D Zelda and liked Wind Waker, but couldn't get into OoT. I think if I were younger I'd power through it. When I got older I just had the patience for it. At ~13 I had neither brute force nor patience so I gave up on it.

Now it's one of my favorite games.

Super Metroid I liked from a distance but didn't know what was going on.
>>
Super Metroid.

I didn't "get" it as a kid, but in my teens I found it again and God dammit
2good
>>
Blast Corps.
>>
Earthbound

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

Counter-Strike
>>
File: yes agree.jpg (55KB, 960x541px) Image search: [Google]
yes agree.jpg
55KB, 960x541px
>>2941204
>>2942430
>>2953640

Also DOKI DOKI PANIC a.k.a. SUPER MARIO BROS. 2
>>
>>2940284
Morrowind
>>
>>2940393

Everyone played Doom with keyboard only when it came out.
>>
>>2940284
City Connection.
>>
Jedi Academy
>>
Final Fantasy 1.
>>
File: Icewind_dale_1_box_shot.jpg (35KB, 303x401px) Image search: [Google]
Icewind_dale_1_box_shot.jpg
35KB, 303x401px
I was 16 when I first played this but at the time I was too big of a jrpg fag to appreciate it.

It didn't help I had no knowledge of DnD rules nor did I try to learn them. It was too hard compared to the much easier and forgiving jrpgs I was accustomed to.

Now it's one of my favorite games. Love playing through it with different party combos.
>>
Super Metroid
>>
shadowgate
>>
Puggsy I didn't really like it as a kid but now I think it's great same cart too
>>
>>2940284
Doom, since I had the PSX version.
>>
Final Fantasy IX
>>
File: Jurassic_Park_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg (24KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Jurassic_Park_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg
24KB, 256x224px
this. it has to be played like a shoot em up and i didnt understand that as a kid. i just kind of wanted to take it slower or something. also it has really good music
>>
>>2940284
Barnyard for GBA
>>
>>2941335
I feel you, I had a Genesis before an snes growing up and even with an immense amount of nostalgia I can't get past how asinine the level design is in 2d sonic games, but I only appreciate SMW physics more and more
>>
>>2968734
My nigger.
>>
>>2971721
>I had a Genesis before an snes growing up and even with an immense amount of nostalgia I can't get past how asinine the level design is in 2d sonic games
I disagree. I thought most of the level design in the 2D Sonics is pretty neat. I especially liked their take on the "branching paths" aspect.

>but I only appreciate SMW physics more and more
Ehh, I thought SMW was okay but I just couldn't really get into it much. Heck I just can't get into any of the mainline Mario games aside from the first one.
>>
>>2971721
I am with you 100% on that. When you compare the Genesis Sonic games to SMB3 and SMW, it's pretty laughable how far behind the curve they are.

They'll still always hold a special place in my heart though. Sonic 1 was my very first game.
>>
>>2940284
Dragon Quest series. I couldn't understand why people liked it, nowadays I can't understand why I hated the games back then. Except DQ2, fuck that one.
>>
As a kid with limited quards I thought metal slug was too hard.
Now as an adult who bought it for 5 dollars on steam I think its genius.
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.